• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My $5000 PC Is My House Money

Topher

Gold Member
You balk at the price of the RTX 4090 I posted... yet turn a blind eye to the inclusion of the 14900K (over a 14900KF), the $120 windows 11 pro key, or any of the other components that you can get for cheaper.

Okay.

Price is $3.5k tops for a comparable build to OP's. Plenty of people in this thread have already posted builds in that general price range. But go ahead and continue defending spending $4k+.

There is nothing to "defend". OP never claimed he bought the most economically sound PC available. The cost of the parts the received, if bought individually, are in line with what he paid. Either way, not everyone wants to build a PC.

Last edited:

Zathalus

There is nothing to "defend". OP never claimed he bought the most economically sound PC available. The cost of the parts the received, if bought individually, are in line with what he paid. Either way, not everyone wants to build a PC.
The costs of the parts individually will be under $4000 (close to $3700 if you shop around) if bought individually. That's a 14900k, 4090, 64GB, 2x2 TB, everything matching the prebuilt. But as you said, not everyone wants to build a PC, but you can find other PCs that have the same specs for $500 less. The Corsair is not the most expensive prebuilt with those specs, but it is not the cheapest either.

Topher

Gold Member
The costs of the parts individually will be under $4000 (close to $3700 if you shop around) if bought individually. That's a 14900k, 4090, 64GB, 2x2 TB, everything matching the prebuilt. But as you said, not everyone wants to build a PC, but you can find other PCs that have the same specs for $500 less. The Corsair is not the most expensive prebuilt with those specs, but it is not the cheapest either.

I priced it out on pc parts picker and it was a bit higher than that.

But yeah, if you really looked hard then I'd imagine you could fine a few of the parts cheaper elsewhere.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

But yeah, if you really looked hard then I'd imagine you could fine a few of the parts cheaper elsewhere.
I am quite happy with my latest Corsair Vengence PC

Looking at those parts at $4500 so the OP paid like a $500 fee to get it put together and have a warranty?

Plus I bought mine via Best Buy so I have a store to walk it into and say here it doesn't work and they order me a new one?

sold auction GIF by David

Topher

Gold Member
I am quite happy with my latest Corsair Vengence PC

Looking at those parts at $4500 so the OP paid like a $500 fee to get it put together and have a warranty?

Plus I bought mine via Best Buy so I have a store to walk it into and say here it doesn't work and they order me a new one?

sold auction GIF by David

OP said $5000 but corsair site says $4800 so he may have rounded up. I don't know about others but I think Corsair makes quality products so that's an added bonus versus some other prebuilts out there. I mean.....I might could understand some grief folks are giving if you and the OP paid $5000 for one of those horrid Dell Alienware jet engine looking monstrosities, but this seems like a solid buy to me.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

S0ULZB0URNE

You balk at the price of the RTX 4090 I posted... yet turn a blind eye to the inclusion of the 14900K (over a 14900KF), the $120 windows 11 pro key, or any of the other components that you can get for cheaper.

Okay.

Price is $3.5k tops for a comparable build to OP's. Plenty of people in this thread have already posted builds in that general price range. But go ahead and continue defending spending $4k+.
No it isn't.
I could agree with you but we both be wrong.

Zathalus

You can knock $700 off the price by putting in a cheaper 4090, replacing the cooler with a cheaper (and better) Deepcool unit and not paying $100 for Windows (you can buy a key for under $5). Further savings can be had with alternative (but same performance) SSDs and a different case.

Topher

Gold Member
You can knock $700 off the price by putting in a cheaper 4090, replacing the cooler with a cheaper (and better) Deepcool unit and not paying $100 for Windows (you can buy a key for under $5). Further savings can be had with alternative (but same performance) SSDs and a different case.

I wasn't suggesting that was the best/cheapest build. The point was pricing out the parts the OP actually received in his PC.

Zathalus

I wasn't suggesting that was the best/cheapest build. The point was pricing out the parts the OP actually received in his PC.
Well if you want those exact parts for some reason then knock $600 off the price you linked, no point in using a $2500 4090 or pay $100 for Windows. Don't get a fancy 4090 if the Corsair comes with a OEM one.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Built mine myself but it literally has everything. It's stupidly expensive but I justify it by seldomly going out partying, I don't drink, don't smoke and have paid it all off. So I'm happy, for now. :)

I use it mainly for 4K gaming but also do a lot of video editing and watching movies over Plex.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor (£562.36 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£269.66 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£249.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory (£228.28 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1799.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: *Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£139.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ 41.5" 3840 x 2160 138 Hz Monitor (£1149.00 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G303 SHROUD EDITION Wireless Optical Mouse
Custom: Steelseries Nova Pro Wfi (£329.99)
Total: £4961.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-01 14:06 GMT+0000

Oh, and HNY. :)
Now we’re talking, this is about what I payed for my current PC. $2500 graphics card, $750 CPU. Etc. In general it seems like every part is 1.5x more expensive than what is seen in this thread. I plan and invest in stocks between upgrades. No impulse purchases!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Interestingly enough that PC is listed at $4600 on Best Buy's site so makes it even easier to buy it built if one looks around

Well if you want those exact parts for some reason then knock $600 off the price you linked, no point in using a $2500 4090 or pay $100 for Windows. Don't get a fancy 4090 if the Corsair comes with a OEM one.
There is no telling what GPU will be in these prebuilts

I know a friend who bought the same PC as mine and his 4090 is a Gigabyte while I got a PNY

They are identical outside of that

Topher

Gold Member

You are missing the point. That's what he would pay if he bought the parts individually. Fine....drop $100 for windows.

The Graphics Card is MSI Gaming Trio valued at $2300 on ebay.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Not really sure why everyone is surprised at the OP 5k
Mine was about the same give or take. ( 7950x3d with 4090 with 32G ram at 7800 speed.

The fans and the case alone were above 600$ heh.

Hudo

4090 and the cpu alone are 2500++
Which is exactly my point. The 4090 should not be above $1000. Nvidia are fucking assholes because they can (And because Jensen is too fucking scared to tell his board and his investors that he Covid profit margins were an anomaly).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Which is exactly my point. The 4090 should not be above $1000. Nvidia are fucking assholes because they can (And because Jensen is too fucking scared to tell his board and his investors that he Covid profit margins were an anomaly).
People (including myself) are paying the silly high prices so why would they only sell them for $1000?

Not really sure why everyone is surprised at the OP 5k
Mine was about the same give or take. ( 7950x3d with 4090 with 32G ram at 7800 speed.

The fans and the case alone were above 600$ heh.

Some people try to shave off every dollar they can when building a system. Others value nice cases, good looking cables etc. more. Such upgrades can get very costly without having an effect on performance.

Hudo

People (including myself) are paying the silly high prices so why would they only sell them for $1000?
Of course now that they've seen that retards (like myself) are buying these for $2000, they will never get back to normal prices ever again. They are successful with their attempt at normalizing the new prices.

It will hurt the market in the long run, I reckon. I do hope that Intel and AMD get together and make a real competitor to CUDA. I am fucking tired of Nvidia's bullshit. But I am vendor-locked because I need CUDA for my shit and OpenCL is garbage in comparison. And ROCm is barebones.

Top Bottom