• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first time with Gitaroo-man

shuri

Banned
Just came back from my friend's house, I tried this AWESOME game called Gitaroo Man. I knew that the game had this cult following, but DAMN I cant believe how AWESOME it is, especially for a first gen title.

How come this never got the attention it deserved? It felt like the first time I played REZ. I can't find it on my regular online shops, and ebay peons are asking insane prices for it.

Fu Sony :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Best $10 game I got 700% profit for!!! It was pretty good, but I don't know why all the nuts were busted over it. I dunno, maybe I'm just all cynical.

genjiZERO

Ouendan eh? I'm going to have to check that out.

Yes Guitaroo Man is awesome, but I wish the "defense" portions were more DDR like and followed the beat. To me they seem almost random.

Johnas

Wario64 said:
one of the best $10 games i've bought! thank you best buy

What in the crap is your avatar?

On topic, somehow I had never even heard of Gitaroo-Man until coming to this forum.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I love Gitaroo-Man, but if I play it now for more than 5 minutes, I get seriously nauseous :(

The weird thing was that I was fine up until I beat the game and tried Master Mode. Then after that, I start to feel queasy whenever I boot up the game :(. I have serious respect for anyone who completed Master Mode. For anyone who has done so, that's gotta be one of the finest accomplishments in his resume.

Koshiba

I played Gitaroo Man once over a year ago and thought it was awesome. =) Thought the music for it was catchy too. Too bad I haven't gotten a chance to play it since then.

aku:jiki

Lambtron said:
Best $10 game I got 700% profit for!!! It was pretty good, but I don't know why all the nuts were busted over it. I dunno, maybe I'm just all cynical.
It's because you've played music games for way long, like me. I feel the same. GM isn't bad at all, it just isn't as genius as other games in the genre.

Tain

Yeah, that's what I've been afraid of. Ever since playing IIDX/Pop'n (and trying GF/DM), other music games really aren't worth any more than $10 to me. Thankfully, Technic Beat, Amplitude, and Frequency were all found for that price. I might get around to this game if I see it lying around at 10.

sammy

Man... I had this game on release, and I really can't understand the cult following...

Yea, it's great to play for its style and music .... very much worth the money.
But the false sense of interactivity is so damn blatant........

There's just a set track that plays the guitar sample ... and if you miss that, the guitar just stops .......... all it is is a 'play' button that moves about ----- nothing alternate to play or interact with, or other samples to experience ..... just.. 'you do good, you get the guitar music ... you do bad, you dont.."

Soul4ger

::finished Master Mode in three months::

Cursed stage seven. Goddamn Sanbone Trio! If it wasn't for them, it wouldn't taken me two days.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Soul4ger said:

Cursed stage seven. Goddamn Sanbone Trio! If it wasn't for them, it wouldn't taken me two days.

I haven't finished Master Mode, but I would imagine that was insanely tough. Those guys were breaking my balls on Normal...

Drakken

Soul4ger said:

*Never got past Sanbone Trio on Master*

:(

Perhaps I'll try really hard again someday. Perhaps.

Vlad

genjiZERO said:
Ouendan eh? I'm going to have to check that out.

Yes Guitaroo Man is awesome, but I wish the "defense" portions were more DDR like and followed the beat. To me they seem almost random.

The defending portions follow the melody that your opponent is putting out, as you're defending against their attacks.

My beef with the the defense parts is that when there's a lot of notes coming at you at once, it's way too tough to tell which notes come first, as they're coming from completely opposite ends of the screen. I'm stuck on level 3 in Master mode right now, and I usually end up getting killed in the defense sections where there's multiple notes that have to be played quickly, but I can never tell what the order I'm supposed to be playing them is.

this is deffinitely a keeping in my collection.

i'm even tempted to modify a PS2 controller and shape it into a guitar just so i can play this game better

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
sammy said:
Man... I had this game on release, and I really can't understand the cult following...

Yea, it's great to play for its style and music .... very much worth the money.
But the false sense of interactivity is so damn blatant........

There's just a set track that plays the guitar sample ... and if you miss that, the guitar just stops .......... all it is is a 'play' button that moves about ----- nothing alternate to play or interact with, or other samples to experience ..... just.. 'you do good, you get the guitar music ... you do bad, you dont.."
You can use this argument with just about any game, "whoa, it's like, all you do is shoot things and if you don't you die...". I mean, really, how much "interactivity" do you need?

Gitaroo Man is the shit, I tip my hat to those who have completed Master Mode. I think I'm going to pick it up again and finish it (currently on the shark level).

Tain

You can use this argument with just about any game, "whoa, it's like, all you do is shoot things and if you don't you die...". I mean, really, how much "interactivity" do you need?

I could see it being a valid complaint, albiet a small one. Most music games (outside of DDR) tend to have you playing every sample of a given song in some way. It's neat to have, but the lack of it wouldn't stop me from playing the game.

Top Bottom