• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Felicia's Facebook on September 25th:

Dreams Unlocked: MST3K is my FAVE — at Salt Lake Comic Con.
11235279_1703784336508644_3746320426201640824_o.jpg

Pls no

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm not really a fan of Felicia Day either, but eh...she's not a terrible choice, all things considered. Plus she has her own built-in fanbase, which could be good for the Kickstarter.

gabbo

Her lisp is distracting. In a talking based show that's not a great thing.

If she's not voicing a bot (new Gypsy maybe?), she'll have like 5-10 minutes of screen time. I shouldn't be a big deal.
Does gypsy still exist? I mean she was Jim Mallon right? Might they leave her out in this new Mallon-less incarnation?

I know nothing about her. Why is she a bad choice?

People don't seem to like her being held up as a representative of nerd culture to the masses/she's overrated as an actress.

Looking at the Kickstarter, there's no way we're getting a full season. Hell, it may not make it to more than three episodes.

That sucks. I've wanted new MST3K since it got cancelled. But now that I've got the chance to help make it a reality, I just can't.

Eegah

Looking at the Kickstarter, there's no way we're getting a full season. Hell, it may not make it to more than three episodes.

With the official reveal of the cast, some promotional videos, and two Turkey Days I think it could get to the six episode mark. I doubt it will be any more than that. I just hope this is enough for the show to get picked up.

On that note, I'm going to stream a few episodes to try to give Netflix the message that I want more.

That sucks. I've wanted new MST3K since it got cancelled. But now that I've got the chance to help make it a reality, I just can't.

Maybe if the smallest possible tier for getting anymore than 1 god damned episode wasn't $100 they'd see more buyers. It's 2015 and Netflix is $9 a month. Tough market for that kind of price.

yes I understand how the DVD sets have been (over)priced in the past

mclem

Based on what? It seems to be making steady incremenrts pretty well, and there ought to be periodic spikes for announcements and it finishing.

My gut's expecting nine episodes, but we'll see how it goes.

It all depends on how well the Turkey Day and cast-related bumps go. In broad strokes...

If each of the two Turkey Day marathons produce the same amount of support as the launch:
turkeyday15_full.jpg

If each of the two Turkey Day marathons produce half the support as the launch:
turkeyday15_half.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Kickstarters generally have their best funding during the first two days and last two days as well, often matching what they've made.

They're doing fine.

I want MST3K to come back more than anything. Watching the pitch video for the first time? Those feels. It's probably what seeing your best friend come back to life feels like. This show has had a profound impact on my life at a deeply personal level, second only to Super Mario Bros. among works of media.

While the top tier of rewards are impractical due to budget and my living in Japan, I had to support this effort to the greatest extent possible. I'd be buying the Blu-Rays and other merch anyway. The risk is also acceptably low enough for me. I do expect the show to become self-sustainable, however, and do not anticipate doing crowd funding ever again. Annual subscriptions? Sign me up.
I understand your feelings all too well. I'm just giving you the razz. If it weren't for a newborn son I'd be going against my nature and throwing $100 in myself.

I haven't backed yet, but I am mightily curious about the backers-only answer to "Will MST3K still be family-friendly?" It's a primary beef I have with Rifftrax that wasn't as big an issue with the TV show (although its Sci-Fi seasons gradually got a bit saltier too).

I haven't backed yet, but I am mightily curious about the backers-only answer to "Will MST3K still be family-friendly?" It's a primary beef I have with Rifftrax that wasn't as big an issue with the TV show (although its Sci-Fi seasons gradually got a bit saltier too).

Joel said it would be very similar to the original tone of the show. Very light PG-13ish at times but mostly family friendly still.

DiscoJer

Yeah, one of the cute things about the show was how little kids would send in drawings and such.

And personally, I always thought double entendres are much funnier than just being vulgar. (Too bad Rifftrax's writers seem to disagree)

I think rifftrax mostly keeps the riffs appropriate to the film, especially with the Hollywood films.

Mostly, but the first couple clean-to-a-fault Batman and Robin shorts got more than a bit raunchy at times. I stopped buying them after the first two because of it, but the funny parts were really funny.

Joel said it would be very similar to the original tone of the show. Very light PG-13ish at times but mostly family friendly still.

This, to me, is great news. Will most likely back once I have the funds.

Rydeen

I'm glad that the Kickstarter is going to succeed, but I can't in good conscience back it. While I figured this re-boot would mean a mostly new cast, I'm heartbroken that Kevin isn't going to be Tom Servo at the very least. Having Trace back as Crow or Dr. Forrester would've been nice, but not mandatory, but losing Kevin hurts. Also the writing on MST3K is what really made the show special, and knowing that this is going to be mostly new writers and without Joel, Mike, Kevin and Trace's unique brands of comic timing, references, and comedic panache makes me very worried.

Again I'm interested in the final product, but I can't be literally invested in it in the way a Kickstarter requires one to be.

border

Is there a YouTube Channel or some other place I can go to see all the old commercials and promos the MST3K guys cut while they were on Comedy Central?

I'm specifically looking for an old Comedy Central Xmas/Turkey Day advertisement with this exchange:
Joel - "So what do you guys want for Christmas?"
Crow - "I want to decide who lives and who dies!"
Joel - "Ohhh, I don't know about that..."

androvsky

Is there a YouTube Channel or some other place I can go to see all the old commercials and promos the MST3K guys cut while they were on Comedy Central?

I'm specifically looking for an old Comedy Central Xmas/Turkey Day advertisement with this exchange:
One of the Shout Factory releases has all of the Turkey Day segments and I believe all of the ads too (sourced from fans' VHS copies apparently). I think XXXI is that one. The Christmas ones I'm not sure about, those may not have been collected yet officially.

I do remember the ad you're talking about, probably my favorite MST3K ad. I don't remember seeing it in the Shout Factory release I mentioned though.

If they didn't recycle the bit in some way for a TV spot, here's probably what you're thinking of:
https://youtu.be/ut-hn7sFieE?t=2m52s

BigDug13

Maybe if the smallest possible tier for getting anymore than 1 god damned episode wasn't $100 they'd see more buyers. It's 2015 and Netflix is $9 a month. Tough market for that kind of price.

yes I understand how the DVD sets have been (over)priced in the past

Are the Rifftrax movies also equally overpriced at $10 a pop?

$10 per movie seems to be the going rate for Rifftrax movies, MST3K movies, and Cinematic Titanic movies, so I'm not sure where this idea that suddenly that's too expensive comes from.

But I do agree that dropping $100 on a complete unknown that might only end up being like 3 episodes is not good.

border

If they didn't recycle the bit in some way for a TV spot, here's probably what you're thinking of:
https://youtu.be/ut-hn7sFieE?t=2m52s

I do remember the ad you're talking about, probably my favorite MST3K ad. I don't remember seeing it in the Shout Factory release I mentioned though.

I definitely remember it as an advertisement, one of the ones where they sing "We gather together to watch cheesy movies".

Seeing that dialogue as a segment in Santa Claus Versus The Martians is more than satisfying though :) Maybe they recycled it for a promo, or maybe my memory is screwed. Either way, thanks for the help finding a clip.

border

Could they do Mac & Me or Troll 2? What films are off limits in terms of copyright?

Rifftrax already did Troll 2, so I imagine they will probably want to avoid that one. Mac & Me has probably been riffed as well, though I'm not sure who did it. I hope they stick to obscure first-time riffs.

Sanjuro

Kickstarters generally have their best funding during the first two days and last two days as well, often matching what they've made.

They're doing fine.

As mentioned, we have a couple Turkey Days coming up where people are more apt to click things in desperation to avoid racist chat with Uncle Frank.

...no not that Frank!

But yeah, I think people focus too much on the actual total as if today is the last day or so. Still plenty of time.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, one of the cute things about the show was how little kids would send in drawings and such.

And personally, I always thought double entendres are much funnier than just being vulgar. (Too bad Rifftrax's writers seem to disagree)

Agree wholeheartedly. I like a blatant dick or fart joke, as I am an eternal 12-year-old at heart, but it's even funnier when someone is being cleverly discreet/coded.

(And I adore your avatar. Those two episodes are easily in my top 10 MST3k!)

Tom_Cody

It will be exciting to continue to follow their progress. Any guesses as to when they will cross the first threshold? By Friday at least I would think.

With the official reveal of the cast, some promotional videos, and two Turkey Days I think it could get to the six episode mark. I doubt it will be any more than that. I just hope this is enough for the show to get picked up.

On that note, I'm going to stream a few episodes to try to give Netflix the message that I want more.
They also have a built-in bump for the final days of the campaign (as all Kick-starters do). There's also the possibility that they could convince some of the other original cast members and writers to sign on in some way, which could sway some hold-outs among the hardcore fanbase.

morningbus

I'm onboard with Jonah. I always enjoy his appearances on @Midnight and he's very good host on the Meltdown.

So a Rifftrax question, do they banter like the host and the bots do, as seen even here in the kickstarter update video, where they go on tangents or poke at each other? I've seen a few but it's been a while and I can't remember if they maintained that element when they lost the shadow overlay or if was more just straight riffing.

morningbus

So a Rifftrax question, do they banter like the host and the bots do, as seen even here in the kickstarter update video, where they go on tangents or poke at each other? I've seen a few but it's been a while and I can't remember if they maintained that element when they lost the shadow overlay or if was more just straight riffing.

They do interact with each other and often will do bits or recurring gags between one another.

But it's not like there is any kind of narrative to work with like the old MST3K days, where they might reference something that happened in a sketch earlier.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They do interact with each other and often will do bits or recurring gags between one another.

But it's not like there is any kind of narrative to work with like the old MST3K days, where they might reference something that happened in a sketch earlier.

That's one thing I really miss about The Film Crew. Their "host segments" were pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom