• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 on MiSTer FPGA gets massive update; you love to see it GAF!

VGEsoterica

I know there is a decent number of MiSTer FPGA owners on GAF but also who has time to update the N64 core basically every 48 hours due to the speed at which the core dev FPGAZumSpass works! Dunno when he sleeps...or if he even does

The first part of TLB, or Translation Lookaside Buffer, has been implemented into the core code as of this morning. Basically its a complex virtual memory address spacing function done in hardware on N64 and a smaller (yet very fun) number of games on N64 utilize it; Stuff like Killer Instinct Gold, Mario Golf, both Castlevania games, and of course GoldenEye.

Well part 1 of TLB is in bringing a bunch of new games to N64 on MiSTer FPGA and bringing the core that much closer to feature complete. FPGAZumSpass said he wanted to have one game running by Christmas 2024 and at this speed he may have ALL BUT ONE game running by Xmas lol

Curious GAF...who's been playing N64 on MiSTer? Becoming my new fav way to play the games

and an even bigger update lol

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Curious GAF...who's been playing N64 on MiSTer?
Lonely Ghost Town GIF

Personally I’m waiting for it to hit update_all, very excited to be able to check it out when it’s ready though! The progress has been incredible!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It's crazy to see how much Misty has progressed over the years.

People thought I was was crazy when I said there would eventually be a N64 core..

..but who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!!

evil-laugh-icegif-17.gif

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Personally I’m waiting for it to hit update_all, very excited to be able to check it out when it’s ready though! The progress has been incredible!
Speaking of, did Saturn hit update_all yet?

SScorpio

even better

I was starting to feel bad after the Sunday release about mentioning to Robert on Friday that he had just over five days to do a major drop and ruin your Thanksgiving by making you decide between getting a video out instead of eating turkey.

It looks like he took pity, or he has something even bigger lined up.

VGEsoterica

I was starting to feel bad after the Sunday release about mentioning to Robert on Friday that he had just over five days to do a major drop and ruin your Thanksgiving by making you decide between getting a video out instead of eating turkey.

It looks like he took pity, or he has something even bigger lined up.
Haha nah I’m off Thursday. Even if the core gets released and he says “it’s done”…day off. People can wait a day :) I’m eating

zenspider

This whole thing has been a real treat! I don’t know what I’m going to do on my commute home without a VGEsoterica VGEsoterica video on the N64 MiSTer core. Watch the road I guess *shrug*

Krathoon

I have a problem with my second Mister where I am not getting any video output.

It may be the IO card. I was going to try running it without it.

I have heard you can damage the HDMI port by plugging in a live cable.

Surely, the Mister is not that touchy. I find it hard to believe.

Mr1999

My 1tb microsd is nearly filled with ao486 vhd's and complete library of n64/ps1/saturn and all of the other cores. I have about 50gb left out of 1TB.

@Krathroon, I heard it can be damaged if you used the power switch connector that you can buy where it splits into two, never used it myself, but I have my power connected directly to the digital io board and then just use the on and off switch that is on the digital io board to turn it on and off.

also im using the meanwell powersupply which is 5v and 4amp output

Edit: I just have to mention the nostalgia surge I just got from playing phantasmagoria through ao486, man what a trip that was. FMV games really take you back. Also playing stunts, 4d boxing, its really a great machine. I also ended up getting every year .vhd from 1980 all the way to 2000 which is separate than the top 300, found it on archive.

what I wish for next is an irix core of some sorts but im guessing it would be too complex to reverse engineer old sgi workstations?

Last edited:
Try reformat the sd card and install. Some SD cards are tricky when you lose power and corruption prevents Mister / Linux from starting. You need Halt scripts to safely turn off the device when this happens.

Ozzie666

Whilst not the Mister, I am looking forward to the Analogue 3D version of the N64. My original N64 is in very good shape and works well with the retrotink, but it's going on near 25 years old and probably needs recapping, so I'm scared to use it. The PixelFx and HDMI upgrades are so expensive and nearly impossible to get a hold of. The Analogue solution will take care of those upgrades at much less cost.

Without ther Mister and it's success, I highly doubt the Analogue 3D would be a thing.

My old 1080s monitors are also finally starting ot fall apart, they feel almost unsafe to use. So difficult to find anyone who can service/repair them. But they work great with the Analogue DAC and original hardware.

Top Bottom