• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 on MiSTer FPGA is here! It's in its infancy but its running some demos

VGEsoterica

For a while people in the FPGA community thought that N64 on the Terasic DE10 Nano would be too heavy of a lift for the amount of logic / general constraints of the FPGA chip on board, but FPGAZumSpass, the dev of the PSX core thought it would be possible...and here we are!

Currently its just some homebrew demos as only the CPU side of things have been transposed into code the FPGA can deal with, but even that means some functioning homebrew demos will run on the WIP core. Granted these arent GAMES but from a technical showcase standpoint its awesome to see and these are the first baby steps towards potentially having Nintendo 64 on MiSTer FPGA.

Which means Bomberman Hero in FPGA...N64's best game obviously (but really what's your fav Nintendo 64 title?)

You can test the core today if you want too. How many people here are rocking MiSTers?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This is God's work!

On paper it could run, and man, people can have their own N64 Mini.

Maybe even Dreamcast will be the next stage? I'm asking too much, I know

VGEsoterica

This is God's work!

Dreamcast is a system too far beyond what MiSTer is capable of. You’d need a much larger FPGA for that generation of consoles

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
N64 is brought up and you have to talk about it’s games, I could see an n64 mini being made z

RagnarokIV

hell I have three now lol
They are very expensive where I am, but I do plan to get another as a backup lol.

I was an original hardware purist for many reasons, but one was the way certain games integrated the hardware into gameplay.

For example - MGS1 Psycho Mantis just isn't anywhere near as good when you need to open up an emulator menu, change the controller port, play about with the menu again and then finally get back into game.
With MiSTer, I use a PS1 SNAC with original PS1 mem card and controller. I can just swap from port 1 to port 2.

Heck, I even used my old original FFIV save straight from the memory card to test things out.

I've actually retired from using a CRT for PS1 stuff now, because the CRT filters in the PlayStation core of MiSTer look fantastic on my 1440p Dell monitor.

Aaand I've recently gotten into the Retro Fighters Defender controllers - they are amazing and I'd recommend them for MiSTer, PS1/2 hardware and PCSX2.

But now I'm rambling because it's an amazing piece of tech. Insane that an N64 core was considered impossible... I can't wait for this to eventually be done and the inevitable N64 SNACs to hit!

VGEsoterica

They are very expensive where I am, but I do plan to get another as a backup lol.

I was an original hardware purist for many reasons, but one was the way certain games integrated the hardware into gameplay.

For example - MGS1 Psycho Mantis just isn't anywhere near as good when you need to open up an emulator menu, change the controller port, play about with the menu again and then finally get back into game.
With MiSTer, I use a PS1 SNAC with original PS1 mem card and controller. I can just swap from port 1 to port 2.

Heck, I even used my old original FFIV save straight from the memory card to test things out.

I've actually retired from using a CRT for PS1 stuff now, because the CRT filters in the PlayStation core of MiSTer look fantastic on my 1440p Dell monitor.

Aaand I've recently gotten into the Retro Fighters Defender controllers - they are amazing and I'd recommend them for MiSTer, PS1/2 hardware and PCSX2.

But now I'm rambling because it's an amazing piece of tech. Insane that an N64 core was considered impossible... I can't wait for this to eventually be done and the inevitable N64 SNACs to hit!
I mean I own all the consoles MiSTer runs plus a ton of the arcade boards...and now when I "just want to play"...its on MiSTer

bender

What time is it?
You are Bender…why haven’t you stolen one? Or at least pulled the old switcharoo?

I'd have normally stolen all three of yours...and your wallet...and your wife...and your dog, but you create my favorite GAF threads. ...you are still on the list of humans I need to kill, just far down on it...for now.

Last edited:

Lasha

OT but what are SNAC adapters made of and how are they sourced? Stupid question, I know.

SNAC = serial native accessory converter.

It's a no latency standard for connecting old controllers to the mister. The port itself is shaped like a USB port.

rnlval

For a while people in the FPGA community thought that N64 on the Terasic DE10 Nano would be too heavy of a lift for the amount of logic / general constraints of the FPGA chip on board, but FPGAZumSpass, the dev of the PSX core thought it would be possible...and here we are!

Currently its just some homebrew demos as only the CPU side of things have been transposed into code the FPGA can deal with, but even that means some functioning homebrew demos will run on the WIP core. Granted these arent GAMES but from a technical showcase standpoint its awesome to see and these are the first baby steps towards potentially having Nintendo 64 on MiSTer FPGA.

Which means Bomberman Hero in FPGA...N64's best game obviously (but really what's your fav Nintendo 64 title?)

You can test the core today if you want too. How many people here are rocking MiSTers?

Altera Cyclone V can do something like Pentium MMX 133 Mhz class AC68080 from Apollo Core.

Quake doesn't use 64-bit SIMD MMX. AC68080 has AMMX integer 64-bit SIMD which is roughly based on Intel's WMMX.

Quake demo1 reached 30.70 fps from AC68080.

Quake demo1 320x200 benchmarks.

The original PlayStation (33 MIPS CPU + 66 MIPS graphics) is a heavy integer-based game console.

Last edited:

Banned
This is God's work!

Analog looking at this like:
Notes Write That Down GIF by Team Coco

Top Bottom