• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco gets greedy with We <3 Katamari

BuddyC

Remember how Katamari Damacy was only $20?

Well, now Namco's charging $30 for the sequel! Who do they think they are, EA?

Look! More proof! Even the GameCrazy ad I just got in the mail shows We <3 Katamari as $30!

And I bet we don't even get the awesome JP cover!

PA.06615.022.jpg

This is ridiculous!

BOYCOTT!

sarcasm.jpg

olimario

Banned
$30 is fine with my if it means more unique titles out of Namco.
I don't want to see a Katamari 3. I'd like a new Franchise, please.

is there a solid US release date on this yet? The asshat that works at my local EB said early September... but he also smelled like an old Quizno's sandwich and had a very difficult time looking me in the eyes.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
HA. More like Katamari 1.5 right?

I hope Sega scoops up the Katamari license and releases a TRUE budget version next year. Fuckin' monopoly bullshit.

I noticed this about a week ago. I think it's a really bad move. Despite the widespread acclaim of the first game, I still think part of the reason it sold was that it was 19.99 and people were like "Looks wacky, worth a shot."

Also, I agree it's a low blow by Namco, bascially taking advantage of all the support and goodwill built up by the first one to squeeze and extra 10 out of people.

BuddyC

GitarooMan said:
I noticed this about a week ago. I think it's a really bad move. Despite the widespread acclaim of the first game, I still think part of the reason it sold was that it was 19.99 and people were like "Looks wacky, worth a shot."

Also, I agree it's a low blow by Namco, bascially taking advantage of all the support and goodwill built up by the first one to squeeze and extra 10 out of people.
sad.gif

Vard

TheJollyCorner said:
is there a solid US release date on this yet? The asshat that works at my local EB said early September... but he also smelled like an old Quizno's sandwich and had a very difficult time looking me in the eyes.

9/6/05 is what I'm seeing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
TheJollyCorner said:
it's only $10 dollars more. So you'll have to skip shoving your fatass faces with two McDonalds extra value meals... it'll be ok.

i could get 2 brand new games for those $10 using my cheap ass skillz

Pimpbaa

Everyone buy this so they have lots of money to make a next gen sequel. I'm thinkin a sequel for ps3 with a much larger scope. Going from microscopic to picking up whole planets.

...and the larger in space you get, the more absolutely bizarre it becomes... to the point where you just have to stop due to the natural LSD effects. My god... the potential! :D

mCACGj

They shouldn't alienate gamers like this! The reason the first one sold so well was because everyone saw it as a win-win with how expensive games are these days. I for one bought the original because it was $20; if it were $30 I probably wouldn't have. Of course, I'll probably end up buying this for $30, but I won't be happy, especially if they change the boxart!

Flynn

I'm betting that We Love Katamari is more fleshed out and contains way more gameplay than the original, making it well worth the $30 price tag.

It'll be worth the price for the new orignal music along.

I actually payed way over $20 for the first OST.

And I won't mind if they make a third game. In fact, the other day I was imaging what would happen if they made Katamari Damacy spin-offs, like some sort of adventure game starring the King or a Katamari racing title.

Tarazet

I can't believe people are complaining about a $30 MSRP when all new releases are going to be $60 in less than a year.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sonarrat said:
I can't believe people are complaining about a $30 MSRP when all new releases are going to be $60 in less than a year.

well i'm boycotting next gen too

Rorschach

sonarrat said:
I can wait and/or shop around for next gen too.

*keeps an eye on Fry's ad*

Wario64 does make a valid point with his cheapass skills. Just take advantage of some trade-in deal via crappy games or just use a Gamer's Gift card on it and it'll be a-ok. :)

damn, namco is trying to milk us with the sequel!

and it's not like they need the money, they have millions!

this makes my next-gen decision easy....

i'm boycotting ridge racer 6 and getting pgr3!

terrene

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
damn, namco is trying to milk us with the sequel!

and it's not like they need the money, they have millions!

this makes my next-gen decision easy....

i'm boycotting ridge racer 6 and getting pgr3!
Dude, your excitable prose upset me and now I have to pay a therapist to help me work it out. I'm boycotting YOU!

Luckett_X

Banned
Jesus Fucking Christ, I'm hungover like a motherfucker today, so my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

But everyone of you queers better be being sarcy. Since heaven forbid a dev makes a nice profit on one of the most refreshing breaths of fresh gaming air this generation. In my opinion, the original selling at budget price was an anomaly as it was easily worth full price.

Hell, I didn't even get the game here on my secluded island, and had to import!

mCACGj said:
They shouldn't alienate gamers like this! The reason the first one sold so well was because everyone saw it as a win-win with how expensive games are these days.

That's stupid. Games are cheaper now than they were 10 years ago, even without adjusting for inflation. Games have been $50 for 20 years now.

koam

I hope people complaining about the price are only kidding. Come on, Namco set the first one at $19.99 so people could try it, now that people know it's a good game, they can afford to sell it for more. This is why companies don't try new things, people always bitch bitch bitch. Christ, just wait till the game is $20 if you don't like the new price while the rest of us enjoy it at launch.

123rl

Himuro said:
The original came out in PAL land? I have some online friends that have been looking for that forever. Sites plz.

No it never came out over here but the sequel is.

I can't believe you lot are complaining about this game costing $30! Know how much it'll be in Britain? £40! That's $75...and on the rare occasion that we get budget releases, they're still more expensive than they are in America!

Top Bottom