• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco gets greedy with We <3 Katamari

f_elz said:
I play Katamari but... I really don't get all the love of it. :\

Sometimes people confuse a $20-cheap whore for love...

I like it too, but I think
good game (not great) + $19.99 = lotsa love

Maybe they should change to "We Love Katamari (when it's $20)"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I like it too, but I think
good game (not great) + $19.99 = lotsa love

The game received tons of praise before it was even announced for a US release, though. It's a refreshing game and a lot of fun, surely you can see how someone would find that worthy of praise?

Mrbob

Katamari got some major mainstream buzz too. I remember seeing it in a couple Maxim magazines in their 'TOP 10 THINGS TO BUY' list.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Flynn said:
I'm betting that We Love Katamari is more fleshed out and contains way more gameplay than the original

uhmmm... not really. outside of a few really cool gimmick stages it's about the same.

dark10x said:
The game received tons of praise before it was even announced for a US release, though. It's a refreshing game and a lot of fun, surely you can see how someone would find that worthy of praise?

Of course! But you have to wonder if the game would have received as much buzz at $49.99

Mrbob

teruterubozu said:
Of course! But you have to wonder if the game would have received as much buzz at $49.99

Heh, easy answer. Of course the answer would be no.

I do find it interesting that a sequel to an 'original, fresh' game is 10 dollars more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
teruterubozu said:
It wasn't released for $20 in Japan, though. The original price of both games was basically around $50, yet it received most of its praise from this release. Hell, for some of the people that imported, it probably would have cost them $60-70 to buy the game...and they were raving about it.

It's strange enough to warrant a lower price point in the US, though. The game was obviously successful enough that Namco believes it can actually get away with a bit more. I honestly don't mind either, as I appreciate their efforts in not only bringing this game abroad but doing so in about the best manner possible (not content modification and high quality packaging).

Looking at your question in regards to the US, however, I would have to say that it would not have received half of the buzz. I do think the excitement would have been about the same on the GAF (for obvious reasons), but the GAF does not represent the majority...

Mrbob

I think the game sold much better in NA too. I believe it is around 250K right now. It is a combination of low price, good word of mouth, and mainstream buzz.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I'd be hard pressed to classify 30 bucks as greedy.

I was worried it'd be $50. I can take $30. Hell, imagine what a great place the world would be if all new IPs were original, creative, and FUN, and were only $20 at first to try and get an audience, then $30 afterwards. Hell yeah!

terrene

Banned
Mrbob said:
30 dollars is too high for a rehash.
What do you mean, man, 70% of the games coming out these days are sequels to something. :)

I say, more power to them. $30 is still cheap as hell - it's like $10 in early-90's-money, back when carts were sometimes $70. (Remember SF2 and FF2 / FF3 on the SNES?).

Besides, if the game sells poorly, it's basically telling Namco: "Nah, dawg, fuck your new ideas. Bring out Soul Calibur 12, now with one new playable character. No, that's okay, we'll pay the $60 -- after all, it's next-gen!"

koam

Wario64 said:
i could get 2 brand new games for those $10 using my cheap ass skillz

Your cheap ass skillz will get you this game for $20 then :p

I can't believe there are still people bitching about this (not you wario, i know you're kidding but the others). People who are claiming they won't be buying this at $30.. would you have actually bought it at $20? I don't think so, you weren't going to get it anyway. $10 is nothing.

The first one was fun but this is way to similar. They should've waited an extra year. I get the Viewtiful Joe 2 syndrome for this. The first one was a success but they release the sequel to soon after and its to much of the same.

miyuru

Man I can't believe how selfish YOU guys are. $30 for a game is nothing. If it's a good game, you should support it.

Honestly you guys bitch about there not being enough unique/quirky titles. Then when they come along, and for only $30 (!), you bitch about Namco taking advantage since the original was only $20.

They both should've been $50, and if you support such titles, you'd buy them at that price regardless.

Cheap fucks.

Vard

Sure, no problem.

Also, there is the Best Buy '$5 off any PS2 game' coupon which doesn't expire until the end of the year. Check CAG's July 7th post.

So that's $25 for this game. And if you have them both, you can think of it as being $22.50 per game. :)

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I wonder how much it'll be here in NZ, I already have it, but I'll tell my non-philistine friends to pick it up.

The_Sorrow said:
The first one was fun but this is way to similar. They should've waited an extra year. I get the Viewtiful Joe 2 syndrome for this. The first one was a success but they release the sequel to soon after and its to much of the same.

The Japanese version had been out for a while prior to North America seeing a release, so it's more than a year between games.

Tain

Man I can't believe how selfish YOU guys are. $30 for a game is nothing. If it's a good game, you should support it.

Unless you really don't have a big enough desire to play it.

Tain said:
Unless you really don't have a big enough desire to play it.

Weren't you just saying a couple days ago that you don't even own a US PS2?

At any rate, I'm glad this thread exists. It's doing a great job of quickly identifying all of the fucking tools on GAF. I'm making a list! I still think (hope) that BuddyC's initial post was meant as a joke, though.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
At 30 bucks, I'll buy one for me and a few for gifts for friends later. Katamari 1 was my PS2 game of the year last year. Awesome stuff.

Udde

¿¡¿¡¿ $30 ?!?!? I don't wanna pay less than $50 for <3 K

wtf-2005.04.01-08.04.23.jpg

Well, I'll buy 2 :D

I seriously hope all you motherfuckers are joking... Katamari 1 was $20 because it was a new IP that they wanted people to try. $30 for the sequel (with all new soundtrack and TONS more levels and content) is hardly extortion, especially when both games are $45 in Japan. If you don't buy a fantastic and creative game because it's only $20 cheaper than other games instead of $30 cheaper ($30/$40 vs. next-gen), then we might as well all fold up and go home because the gaming industry is fucked.

Ironclad

Unison said:
Why SC3??
Either you're boycotting it to get Namco to release Namco x Capcom in NA or you're boycotting it because it's PS2 exclusive. Or you could just not plan on buying it and say you're boycotting it. Whichever one works for you.

I'll pick this up for $30 easily. The soundtrack is worth the extra ten bucks. Now I only wish that we'd get some crazy pre-order deal like Japan.

BuddyC

bobbyconover said:
Weren't you just saying a couple days ago that you don't even own a US PS2?

At any rate, I'm glad this thread exists. It's doing a great job of quickly identifying all of the fucking tools on GAF. I'm making a list! I still think (hope) that BuddyC's initial post was meant as a joke, though.
Rest assured bobby and JackFrost2012, mine was indeed a post of satire and sarcasm. I even threw in a little hidden message had anyone quoted the initial post.

That's also why sad purple blob is on page one, because some people took the post seriously and seriously agreed with what it said :(

Ranger X

First Katamari = big risk = cheaper. It has been a success then:

Second Katamari = less of a risk = more expensive. Simple logic.

gblues

Banned
BuddyC said:
Remember how Katamari Damacy was only $20?
sarcasm.jpg

Quoted for truth.

I wasn't sure WTF Katamari Damacy was, but it was $20 new so I grabbed it. SUCH AN AWESOME GAME. Dunno if I'll pick up We <3 Katamari at launch, but that has more to do with my wallet than with anything against Namco. :p

Seriously, here's a message for all the Katamari trolls:

stfu.jpg

Nathan

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
BuddyC said:
Rest assured bobby and JackFrost2012, mine was indeed a post of satire and sarcasm. I even threw in a little hidden message had anyone quoted the initial post.

That's also why sad purple blob is on page one, because some people took the post seriously and seriously agreed with what it said :(
I knew there was no way you were serious (I love your sarcastic nature Buddy), but it was really funny seeing everyone go apeshit with you.

Razoric

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I noticed this about a week ago. I think it's a really bad move. Despite the widespread acclaim of the first game, I still think part of the reason it sold was that it was 19.99 and people were like "Looks wacky, worth a shot."

Also, I agree it's a low blow by Namco, bascially taking advantage of all the support and goodwill built up by the first one to squeeze and extra 10 out of people.

:lol :lol :lol fuckin tard.

miyuru said:

Honestly you guys bitch about there not being enough unique/quirky titles. Then when they come along, and for only $30 (!), you bitch about Namco taking advantage since the original was only $20.

They both should've been $50, and if you support such titles, you'd buy them at that price regardless.

Cheap fucks.

People can argue all they want about it worth 20, 30, 40, or 50 dollars (everyone has their own opinion) but the fact remains that raising prices on niche games like this will likely spell trouble sales wise in the US. What is sells for in Japan is irrelevent to what it should sell for in the US if Namco wants another success. They are different markets with different tastes and different price markets (i.e, nearly everything is more expensive in Japan, GBA games go for 40 dollars plus).

Everybody knows that hardcore gamers discussing this game on a message board will buy the game for 50 dollars. The more interesting question is whether Namco will be able to sell 250k at 29.99, because to sell that many, you've got to bring in non-hardcore audiences. I think it's valid point to wonder if they sales will suffer, regardless of the quality of the game itself.

I'll certainly pick it up at 29.99, but my personal opinion is that Namco US may be a little too confident about the mainstream market for this game. And yes, it's obvious 10 dollars is nothing to us who spend a ridiculous amount a year on games, but it is something to a casual gamer deciding between Jak 3 greatest hits and We Love Katamari. My original post was aimed more at wondering how mainstream (i.e, not GA posters) sales would be affected

Top Bottom