• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4's latest microtransaction controversy is a $30 portal recolor: "You can get Palworld for this price"

reinking

Gold Member
I bet even Phil was like...

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

omegasc

Just don't buy it. I don't see the controversy. If you feel like you can't live without it, what you need is help.

Sounds good? I’m sure plenty of whales will buy it and ensure continuous dev support for the game so there’s no downside for me.

Allandor

Easy solution to this. Vote with your wallet and just don't buy this crap.
The store is not needed in the game so just ignore it.
Other thing would be, to laugh about everyone in the game who uses bought macro transaction (this isn't micro anymore) stuff.

It would be really interesting to know statistics for the stuff in the in-game store. How often those things sell.

Last edited:
It still blows my mind that they've gotten people to pay this much money for cosmetic changes that costs virtually nothing to make. I could maybe see paying like a dollar for 10 skins or something, but it's insane what they've managed to get out of people. I've noticed deluxe editions of games have also all now become just a handful of skins and items for like $30 extra - how many people are they hooking with this nonsense and is it worth the reputational damage it does? Such a bizarre situation.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I mean people are buying this shit or it wouldn't be there priced like that

And so what if whales want to spend a ton of money on stupid stuff?

Double Take Idk GIF by Laff
Rich or poor you will always have idiots. I’ve seen it from my children and when I got my degree after the Corps in college during discussions. Some folks will always fall for items with no value. Most companies now employ psychologists to help run studies to frame a game loop that will keep the player in their garden and push them to buy items they do not need.

The bad part is it does nothing but teach children that they should part with their money and that it is normal as adults to spend money on items with no value.

There isn’t much you can do, but laugh at the morons who do it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Rich or poor you will always have idiots. I’ve seen it from my children and when I got my degree after the Corps in college during discussions. Some folks will always fall for items with no value. Most companies now employ psychologists to help run studies to frame a game loop that will keep the player in their garden and push them to buy items they do not need.

The bad part is it does nothing but teach children that they should part with their money and that it is normal as adults to spend money on items with no value.

There isn’t much you can do, but laugh at the morons who do it.
I have spent stupid money on things I am sure people here would deem idiotic, big deal on how people spend their money

If enough don't buy these things they wouldnt exist

Tajaz2426

I have spent stupid money on things I am sure people here would deem idiotic, big deal on how people spend their money

If enough don't buy these things they wouldnt exist
I don’t have a problem with how anyone spends their money. Doesn’t change the fact they are idiots, though. You will always have weak minded people that bow to corporations and what they put out for purchase.

However, I’m not a big fan of psychologically farming children for their next wave of bank rolling digital items with no value.

Children and adults are having addiction problems with games because you do not just buy a game anymore. You have to buy the game, then if you want the digital good stuff, you constantly pay more. It’s just a preferred scam now to lock future spenders in their games and always have a flow of future spenders that will think it is normal to spend money with no value in return.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t have a problem with how anyone spends their money. Doesn’t change the fact they are idiots, though. You will always have weak minded people that bow to corporations and what they put out for purchase.

I’m not a big fan of psychologically farming children for their next wave of bank rolling digital items with no value.

Children and adults are having addiction problems with games because you do not just buy a game anymore. You have to buy the game, then if you want the digital good stuff, you constantly pay more. It’s just a preferred scam now to lock future spenders in their games and always have a flow of future spenders that will think it is normal to spend money with no value in return.
I have stated this before when my younger nephews were heavy into Fortnite they bought everything off the store, I mean everything, FOMO

SenkiDala

People discovering that for the price of a shitty cosmetic DLC you can instead buy something else, better, like another game...

Tajaz2426

I have stated this before when my younger nephews were heavy into Fortnite they bought everything off the store, I mean everything, FOMO
I totally agree with the fear of missing out. I’ve said before, my youngest son is 22 now and he has been running around with the nickname “half retard” because I caught him spending real money on a basketball game to see haircuts to buy. I couldn’t believe it, but hey after 3 or 4 years now he won’t even buy a game with micro transactions now. I’m a proud papa.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I totally agree with the fear of missing out. I’ve said before, my youngest son is 22 now and he has been running around with the nickname “half retard” because I caught him spending real money on a basketball game to see haircuts to buy. I couldn’t believe it, but hey after 3 or 4 years now he won’t even buy a game with micro transactions now. I’m a proud papa.
Personally I prefer MTX over loot boxes

If I see something I really want I will buy it but I would never spend money on gambling to try and get it

I have spent a lot of money on World of Tanks buying premium tanks but will never buy their loot crates

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’s Blizzard. It’s Diablo.

If you buy this shit, then this is what you expect. No point whining about it down the track.

Tajaz2426

Personally I prefer MTX over loot boxes

If I see something I really want I will buy it but I would never spend money on gambling to try and get it

I have spent a lot of money on World of Tanks buying premium tanks but will never buy their loot crates

I would prefer that when I purchase goods from a company that I get everything with the item I bought. I got tricked when i bought my PHEV Wrangler, as I paid 77k for the darn thing and they didn’t mention that to use remote start or lock and unlock and get the monthly vehicle report on my phone for the thing, I would have to pay 25 a month. Bastards got me. Now I have a Jeep phone app that is worthless.

I’m just not into buying and having to keep purchasing for the full experience. Alas, I am a realist and it will only get worse and will never go back to the way it was with it being further and further normalized. Hurtful, by somehow I’ll keep on keeping on. Life’s a garden, dig it?

Last edited:

simpatico

Diablo 4 was my surprise GOTY last year. Game is dripping with polish. I thank the whales daily for funding my little ARPG. Lord knows my $40 alone could not have paid for that development. God bless you guys.

Ogbert

I’ve got to the point where anyone stupid enough to buy this shit deserves it.

Don’t blame the developers. Blame the whales.

Doomtrain

This is dumb and vastly overpriced, but like... how is it news that modern games feature egregious microtransactions?

Tajaz2426

I’ve got to the point where anyone stupid enough to buy this shit deserves it.

Don’t blame the developers. Blame the whales.

It is not just whales. Folks from poverty to rich, young and old have been psychologically conditioned that this is normal and you should give million to billion dollar companies your money for no return in value. You only give them value with your currency and they give you digital goods with no real world value at all.

Now that I am retired, I help with youth and young adults that grew up homeless like I did and help them learn economics, how to make their money stretch further, things of that nature. I had this one gentlemen that was living on assistance and gets a government check and he couldn’t figure how he was spending it in less than two weeks. We did a budget on a spread shit and this gentleman was spending 2-300 of his assistance on micro transactions and some kind of money for Fortnite.

They are attacking everyone no matter where they are on the ladder. It is all money to them, doesn’t matter who gets hurt or the children that believe this is normal.

Crazy world.

Gojiira

Nah you cucks deserve this..Didnt vote with your wallet, didnt simply just not play the fucking game…Fucking idiots, gave ‘Blizz’ way too many chances. Next time dont buy the goddamn game when there is literally better games on the market.

Dazraell

That horse armour sure sounds like a pretty good deal right now....
Something I found as genuinely hilarious as I was just playing Oblivion on Steam

If you buy Oblivion GOTY edition you actually won't have horse armor in it as this package has only Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansions. You have to buy a fucking GOTY Deluxe edition which is more expensive to get horse armor and the smaller dlc stuff lol

Freeman76

Man thats insulting and they arent even ashamed to do it. I love D4 but shit like this taints it for me. I just hope we never lose devs like From Software who still have values and principles. I blame Bungie, so many addicts paid them millions and the whole industry wanted a piece of that action.

Top Bottom