• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateTheDrake: New Banjo Kazooie Greenlit by Micrososft

CamHostage

I don't think Banjo will be it, (rumor doesn't feel right, seems unlikely that Rare would dig into the vaults for this, though maybe MS could give it to a third-party developer like with Battletoads XBLA,) but I would love for a developer to take a chance on an epic family action/platformer again. Something colorful and with fun mechanics and creative puzzles and goofy sensibilities would be nice, I've been craving that field of games for too long now.

If true, pretty ridiculous that they waited so long to do something with it. Hope it's a regular Banjo game and not some gimmick and/or live service bullshit.

Killer8

Why did it take this long to happen?

And if they're going to just hand it off to another studio to do it, like Double Fine, then why bother? We want Rare IP made by RARE.

coffinbirth

I don't think Banjo will be it, (rumor doesn't feel right, seems unlikely that Rare would dig into the vaults for this, though maybe MS could give it to a third-party developer like with Battletoads XBLA,) but I would love for a developer to take a chance on an epic family action/platformer again. Something colorful and with fun mechanics and creative puzzles and goofy sensibilities would be nice, I've been craving that field of games for too long now.
I liked the Super Lucky's Tale games for what they were, which is pretty much that.

coffinbirth

Another bad decision from MS Games. The six people who still think about B&K will complain about this release no matter how it comes out. The rest of the people will not even look at it.
200w.gif

CamHostage

I liked the Super Lucky's Tale games for what they were, which is pretty much that.

Sure, there's been a few (Super Lucky's Tale, Yooka-Laylee, the Crash revivals,) but we're still not getting that primary focus from a publisher putting a family platform as its big title for the market, with all the backing and design frills and excitement that we once had from fun new games. Sonic Frontiers was sort of that, every Mario is that, Ratchet works as that... you get it some times from certain directions, but I'd love to see a big developer dig into this genre with something new and invigorating.

daTRUballin

Dream scenario would be to have Toys for Bob remake Banjo Kazooie and Tooie as practice and make Banjo Threeie after they gain a better understanding of the series. As it stands if real it will probably be Rare making it and it will be mid and really sad.

Also obviously the art direction should be that of the same quality as Banjos smash glow up.
It's funny you say this because if it isn't Rare making it, I won't be as interested.

There's a 90% chance it's not them anyway. So don't worry, you'll get your wish.
I'm happy for the five fans who are excited for this.
You mean the IP that gamers from every corner of the internet haven't been able to shut up about for the last 20 years?

Yeah, five fans.
Why did it take this long to happen?

And if they're going to just hand it off to another studio to do it, like Double Fine, then why bother? We want Rare IP made by RARE.
Preach.

Last edited:

Krieger

Anyone who thinks Toys for Bob could make a new Banjo without fucking it up needs to play Crash Bandicoot 4. It's the prime example of what the RGB-hair people think is good, because a big part of the studio is RGB-hair people.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Season 1 Episode 105 GIF by Rick and Morty

Could those characters be any more fucking dated?
Talk about an IP with zero value.

Just make something new
Wha? Weird post.
It's one of the best games ever made.
Amazing game! The whole game was great and that ending section and build up was something else!

On Banjo. I agree on making it a classic 3d adventure. Mario Galaxy/odyssey etc is your benchmark.

Make something as close to that quality as possible with classic gameplay, collecting honeycombs or whatever and intelligent level design. That would be amazing!

Oh, one can dream...it will end up being a puzzle game or something.

I dunno why this would even make sense, given the reality of the situation. No one at Rare who made those games is still there. The current Rare has *zero experience in 3D platformers. These games are 25 years old. Why bother?

Last edited:

MagnesD3

It's funny you say this because if it isn't Rare making it, I won't be as interested.

There's a 90% chance it's not them anyway. So don't worry, you'll get your wish.

You mean the IP that gamers from every corner of the internet haven't been able to shut up about for the last 20 years?

Yeah, five fans.

Preach.
The Rare that made that amazing game is dead though, most of that team is gone. I wouldnt mind anyone who worked on the older games to consult Toys for Bob that are in Rare but I have absolutely 0 confidence in giving it to New Rare in full, they havent made an insanely high quality game in years.

MagnesD3

Anyone who thinks Toys for Bob could make a new Banjo without fucking it up needs to play Crash Bandicoot 4. It's the prime example of what the RGB-hair people think is good, because a big part of the studio is RGB-hair people.
Craah 4 is a very good game to play through if your not 100% ing it. However getting everything in that game is one if the worst experiences in gaming, the reason this hurts so much is because the 3D platformer genre is very designed to be fully completed and the Crash series in particular has done it very well in every entry of the originals.

I believe they messed this part up because they did not do they Crash N Sane Trilogy, they did CTR and the Spyro Remakes which I love but I fully believe if they had they would have understood the game design philosophy more of Crash (This is why Id live to see Spyro 4 from them). Thats why in my optimal choice in making Banjo Threeie I would need a Toys for Bob who has worked on a BK and BT remake beforehand to gain insight.

Shubh_C63

Another bad decision from MS Games. The six people who still think about B&K will complain about this release no matter how it comes out. The rest of the people will not even look at it.
I think its to rival Ratchet & Clank. I had no idea how big R&C actually is.

Trilobit

Gold Member
I'm still wondering what genius decided to make Banjo a vehicle building game. After such a long time people were waiting for a follow up platformer game. Getting it on an Xbox console too was going to be cool. And then...vehicles!

I hope they don't pull that shit again. Banjo Train Tycoon.

Banjo64

cumsessed
There’s about a 0.1% chance this will be good, never mind reach the quality of the first (or even second game).

simpatico

I think its to rival Ratchet & Clank. I had no idea how big R&C actually is.
For a mascot platformer, you're better off just trying to make a new IP. The devs would have to walk a masterful tightrope to please the remaining fanbase. If they slip at all, there's gonna be harsher negative buzz than if it was just a new IP. I don't think the brand is big enough to bring in masses of people, it just opens you up for more scrutiny without much upside.

daTRUballin

Wha? Weird post.

Man, people love to complain about everything.
It's what I don't get. You hear people crying out for a new entry in the series any time there's a Banjo topic, but then whenever we get any sort of positive snippet of news that a new one could be made, you get haters that come out of the woodwork to remind us of how "dated" this IP is and that it shouldn't get made. The exact same thing happened when the revivals of Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark were announced too.

When a property has been dead for as long as these have been, there's virtually no difference between working on them or a new IP. It's not like they're being milked.
I dunno why this would even make sense, given the reality of the situation. No one at Rare who made those games is still there. The current Rare has *zero experience in 3D platformers. These games are 25 years old. Why bother?
The Miyamoto of Banjo, Gregg Mayles, is still at Rare.

But yes, it is true that Rare hasn't released a platformer in so long. If we don't count the Xbox Conker remake or various handheld titles, then the last platformer they released was N64 Conker in 2001. And before that was Banjo Tooie in 2000. So yeah.......that's a legit concern to have.

Maybe Kameo had some platforming elements? But that was still in 2005.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
It's what I don't get. You hear people crying out for a new entry in the series any time there's a Banjo topic, but then whenever we get any sort of positive snippet of news that a new one could be made, you get haters that come out of the woodwork to remind us of how "dated" this IP is and that it shouldn't get made. The exact same thing happened when the revivals of Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark were announced too.
It's fairly easy to get, tho. People love to hate on the Internet. And Microsoft aren't particularly popular around here. It is what it is.

I mean, I whine about Sony not making any new Wipeout or Motorstorm game. But let's be real. I would be worried as fuck if they were, because they have no team left that could tackle Wipeout or Motorstorm. And some Microsoft fans might be rightfully worried about the same thing. The Rare that exists today has little to do with the Rare that existed during the N64 days. But then again, they have Double Fine who could help out.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Ah yes, this timeless and very current franchise that at least a dozen people still care about. Grasping at straws.
So what's the difference between making a new IP and this old one then? An IP that hasn't been seen for a long time is practically a new one for mass audiences at large. Especially if it'll have new and fresh ideas.

And by new ideas, I don't mean that I hope they go the extreme route and we get another Nuts & Bolts lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom