• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, like, let's say we DO go all out, take Kim out and let's say we get lucky and they aren't as prepared to strike back as they claim. Then what? Who deals with the North? Does South Korea really want China moving in there? Does China want South Korea having more influence? Do they really just abandon the area or try to prop up some other leader? Half the reason we leave N. Korea alone is because of the complications of it's neighbors. The whole thing's a mess.

"Commanders are always considering a full range of options to protect against any contingencies," Dana White, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said in a statement. Reuters had queried the Pentagon about the report.
XFNWmCi.jpg

Not to make this into a joke but I found this funny. Sad I wouldn't be surprised if it was true and Trump made Dana from the UFC as Pentagon spokesperson.

epmode

So, like, let's say we DO go all out, take Kim out and let's say we get lucky and they aren't as prepared to strike back as they claim. Then what? Who deals with the North? Does South Korea really want China moving in there? Does China want South Korea having more influence? Do they really just abandon the area or try to prop up some other leader? Half the reason we leave N. Korea alone is because of the complications of it's neighbors. The whole thing's a mess.

Nobody knew the North Korea situaltion was so complicated!

brian577

Banned
Maybe it's denial talking but I'm skeptical of this story, NBC is the only ones who have picked this up. They're a reliable source, but I'd like more before losing my head completely.

CrazyDude

South Korea doesn't want North, reunification would tank their economy. Even if they did, I think China would be fine with it if the U.S removes military presence on the peninsula. I could see a scenario where the U.S does a preemptive strike on NK bases and what not, then NK attacks the south. China will then invade North Korea and depose Kim in the name of world peace, then they install a Chinese friendly and leader who isn't as antagonistic to the rest of the world.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Can NK hit anyone with a nuke right now?

Would they even wanna do this though? Even if we pre-empt'd them. The moment NK uses a nuke on anyone, they're pretty much done, right? I can't imagine Trump responding with anything less than several hydrogen bombs. NK has to know that actually using a nuke would mean the end of their country, and the demise of their regime.

Cyanity

Banned
It's gonna come out that Trump decided to go all out to distract from the Russia collusion allegations, isn't it? We're gonna get into a fucking war because of our president's ego. I'm calling it now.

Xyrmellon

South Korea doesn't want North, reunification would tank their economy. Even if they did, I think China would be fine with it if the U.S removes military presence on the peninsula. I could see a scenario where the U.S does a preemptive strike on NK bases and what not, then NK attacks the south. China will then invade North Korea and depose Kim in the name of world peace, then they install a Chinese friendly and leader who isn't as antagonistic to the rest of the world.

I believe this would be a wholly acceptable solution to the U.S. and most of the world, and ideally a best case scenario if shooting starts.

Lifeline

I feel like whatever happens, NK attacks the US or US attacks NK after nuclear test, Trump's approval rating will go up.

He probably knows this too.

wbsmcs

Some reactions in this thread remind me of the thread about the Russian diplomat shot dead in Turkey and people were ready to compare it to Franz Ferdinand and how WW3 was imminent.

Hyperbole runs rampant in these threads, along with the now thread suffocating Trump snarky remarks.

Yes, the US is being ran by someone who could be deemed incompetent and egotistical. His "small dick" and "inability to swallow pride" isn't going to cause a nuclear winter in what is 99.9999999% another NK dick swinging charade.

If by something, you mean business as usual - 99 percent.

Every year round this time GAF and the Internet get themselves into a panic like clockwork.

It's uncharted territory. I am scared because the person in charged is unhinged. This isn't establishment "business as usual" that's why people voted for him. oh fuck

brian577

Banned
I'll get worried when the Pentagon starts activating units for deployment.

The problem is I don't think Trump even realizes what he is doing. He thinks he can do what he did in Syria, lob a few missiles at the problem to "punish" the bad guys for acting up. He probably has no idea of the real consequences. He has no clue he might start a real war.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Eeeeh. While I don't think China is as paranoid as Russia about NATO, their economy and world power are in part built on military activity and they need the buffer as a support for the purpose of their party and economy, as well as its military strategic value.

Mikey Jr.

Doesn't America have anti-nuke capabilities?

I could have sworn I saw something about some planes constantly flying around America ready to shoot nukes down.

Or am I making that up?

Ovid

Doesn't America have anti-nuke capabilities?

I could have sworn I saw something about some planes constantly flying around America ready to shoot nukes down.

Or am I making that up?

You're making it up because there is no such thing.

Shooting down nukes lol.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Is there any reason at all to start this shit with Nk? I mean syria and afghanistan at least had some revelence regardless of stance or actual reasoning behind it. But this feela lile poking a hornets nest for no reason

Iolo

Would they even wanna do this though? Even if we pre-empt'd them. The moment NK uses a nuke on anyone, they're pretty much done, right? I can't imagine Trump responding with anything less than several hydrogen bombs. NK has to know that actually using a nuke would mean the end of their country, and the demise of their regime.

Preemption means an attempted decapitation strike. In that case their regime is over anyway (by definition) so they might use nukes to stagger us momentarily and get us to think it over. Obviously this has more coercive power the farther they can throw their nukes, the US might not trade Seoul for Houston.

reckless

Yes, he mentioned planes flying around to shoot down nukes. Not interceptors.
Yeah that was more about the "shooting down nukes lol" part.

We did spend a couple billion on a 747 with a laser that was supposed to shoot down nukes, they were probably thinking about that.

I don't think those systems I designed to deal with ICBMs which are pretty much unstoppable.

Which is one reason why the U.S wants NK to stop. Right now they don't have Nuclear ICBMs.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-missile-defense-failings

Thanks, just for the article to show to the poster above me, lol.

Before I even clicked the article I knew it was going to be about Ground Mid-course Defence (GMD). That program was rushed and has experienced problems because of that. Terminal High Altitude Defence as well as the Patriot Missile System revision 3 have had much more success. Though they each have different engagement envelopes.

knitoe

Sure, but I think they still have a greater motivation to attack SK.

While there is more of a US presence in SK, they can cause considerable damage through sleeper agents and artillery fire on the peninsula (they've stormed the Blue House and attempted to assassinate the President before).

Japan, on the other hand, was their former imperial master, and has committed numerous atrocities on the North without any form of compensation. I feel they have more of an incentive to hit their mortal enemy than what they see as their own kin.

Vixdean

This is kinda why we've worked so hard to limit nuclear proliferation in the Middle East. You really don't want crazy people in charge of nuclear tipped ICBMs. As messy as it can be to stop them from acquiring them, the options once they have them are even worse. A "clean" military option against North Korea likely expired during the GWB administration, There's just no scenario now where we can strike them and not expect a nuclear response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom