• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsukaze

Just curious, because I know this is some super paranoia type bullshit. But how possible would it be for North Korea or Russia or whatever to nuke Brussels? Does Europe have any type protection against that kind of shit?
Neither Russia nor NK would survive the retaliation that would be heading their way in that event, so it's probably not something you need to worry about.

Just curious, because I know this is some super paranoia type bullshit. But how possible would it be for North Korea or Russia or whatever to nuke Brussels? Does Europe have any type protection against that kind of shit?

Russia has no horse in NK except for them to cause destabilization. If the US goes at NK, and if a deal was made that China would simply rebuff refugees, then NK has no allies at all. They will be alone on their exit, and Russia will have no reason to step in.

As for NK's capabilities, they don't have many. Other than the artillery aimed at SK, they've only recently been able to launch certain missiles past Japan(IIRC) and unless they want to face the full force of the Chinese Power, they dare not fire through China.

Crayolan

I'm more inclined to believe Trump is dumb enough to make the first strike than believe that NK actually has any nukes which can cross the pacific.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting those Bush flashbacks.

"My fellow citizens. At this hour, American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger."

There is certainly far more justification to enter a conflict with North Korea, who has demonstrated nuclear capabilities, has continually been improving their delivery capabilities, and loves to threaten nuclear death and destruction on the United States every chance they get than there was with Iraq, which is also concerning.

Xando

So, putting the trademark GAF hyperbole aside, what are the realistic scenarios if this does actually come to pass? I'm not exactly a expert in international politics but I'm curious.
US attacks-> NK retaliates by bombing seoul with artillery
What happens after is the question. If Kim backs off we might be OK, if not we'll see a offensive onto SK.

This one is the gem to break out
C4rLNWfXUAE8Dl0.jpg

I don't understand why this is happening now. NK has been crazy and playing around with missiles for years without requiring any kind of response like this. What changed?

ironcreed

Banned
This is such bullshit. I hope people don't seriously believe this. Orange turd is the biggest coward of all time, he would never go thought with this. His master Putin wont allow it.

Just like he did not strike Syria or drop a MOAB today? Trump is an imbecile, but he is not afraid to order military action and instead seems incredibly anxious to do it.

Protome

I just hope the U.S. military is doing things at their own pace and not letting Trump rush them.

This is more an example of a military without a president to reign them in doing what it wants. Given how history has revealed military leadership to be, it's kinda shocking they haven't gotten Trump to sign off on using Nukes.

Ms.Galaxy

I don't understand why this is happening now. NK has been crazy and playing around with missiles for years without requiring any kind of response like this. What changed?

We just recently elected a manchild just as crazy as NK's leader as President of the United States.

Couleurs

I mean the world is definitely fucked is this goes down, but...

Nothing will happen. Big talk then NK gets a last minute aid package to get them to not test for a little bit (so Trump can pretend to be a master negotiator) and this gets repeated next year.

Bobnob

There testing longer range missiles and developing shrunken warheads is what i read.

JordanN

Banned
There is certainly far more justification to enter a conflict with North Korea, who has demonstrated nuclear capabilities, has continually been improving their delivery capabilities, and loves to threaten nuclear death and destruction on the United States every chance they get than there was with Iraq, which is also concerning.

Except, I don't recall any country calling for the "World Police" to do something.

North Korea is crazy but they've been that way since the 1950s. Throwing in a new war will just result in chaos without a permanent solution. Just like we saw when Bush II said "It's time for Saddam to go" and "Mission accomplished" but the region still hasn't fixed itself. How is North Korea going to be any better?

I'm trying to imagine what the end state of this would be, and how it could end in any other way than North Korea being an "Eastern Block" to China, or (maybe after a long period of time), annexed into China under some BS "One China" imperialism move.

China would have to play really nice with the International community to allow a unified Korea with a strong US ally now on their border.

ironcreed

Banned
Trump vs Kim Jong Un - The greatest hairdo battle of our time.

Honestly, it is terrifying to think of these two lunatics playing a game of chicken.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Except, I don't recall any country calling for the "World Police" to do something.

North Korea is crazy but they've been that way since the 1950s. Throwing in a new war will just result in chaos without a permanent solution. Just like we saw when Bush II said "It's time for Saddam to go".

Well the solution here will likely be Korean unification.

It'll be a long, costly struggle to get there though.

Amir0x

Banned
This would be bonkers, simply bonkers. Destabilize an entire region in one swoop for virtually no political gain.

There testing longer range missiles and developing shrunken warheads is what i read.

Yup, and they keep doing it. Over and over. And over. The more they do it the more refined their weapons get. So if they test their capabilities again, that's a test that leads to better tech for them.

Sooner or later we're going to have to react. Rather sooner whilst their still in an infantile stage of missile warfare than later.

tbm24

US attacks-> NK retaliates by bombing seoul with artillery
What happens after is the question. If Kim backs off we might be OK, if not we'll see a offensive onto SK.
Is Seoul is bombed I don't see a reality that doesn't involve going all in on NK from the SK perspective.

Tagyhag

I'm trying to imagine what the end state of this would be, and how it could end in any other way than North Korea being an "Eastern Block" to China, or (maybe after a long period of time), annexed into China under some BS "One China" imperialism move.

That would be the most "peaceful" solution.

Xando

US got caught kinda suprised by NK apparently being close to having working ICBMs that could reach the west coast

Is Seoul is bombed I don't see a reality that doesn't involve going all in on NK from the SK perspective.
Well that's the question.

If NK bombs seoul is SK willing to retaliate and risk getting nuked or not

And that is yet another major consequence of the Iraq war. While Cheney and co. were destabilizing the ME North Korea was allowed to become a nuclear power.

Lautaro

This is more an example of a military without a president to reign them in doing what it wants. Given how history has revealed military leadership to be, it's kinda shocking they haven't gotten Trump to sign off on using Nukes.

You know what? after seeing the news from the MOAB and this one I think this is correct. The only people that Trump "respects" enough to hear are the military (Mattis and McMaster for example). And while I prefer them to have the ear of the president than Bannon I think we have a problem of "if the only tool you have is a hammer you treat everything as if it were a nail". The U.S. military is certainly capable but they only know how to solve problems in a certain way.

akira28

Trump has to get the hang of that president thing, and that means taking his military out for a test drive. Obama was willing to listen to his advisors and let the NK money and food for peace and quiet deal continue. If NK went hard, the US would have acted as the policy was clear. Trump doesn't have the same advice, and thinks NK isn't as boxed in as the rest of the world does. So he's going to risk it, and by it I mean the local area if they do have usable nukes, and of course South Korea to whatever retaliation strategy NK has had cooked up for the last 50 years.

whatever he does, he can't take back, can't tamp down, can't pull out of, and won't finish in his presidency. but he still might start something. even if he doesn't have the will to finish it.

http://defconwarningsystem.com/
Better drop this off here. It says level 4 (code blue) but I Believe we're closer to a 2.

NK just want to show how big their dicks are and Trump (and intelligence) is too fucking stupid to realise that. (Imo).

More like Trump and his administration are doing the same thing, both to keep up the fear of the 'other' to bolster support of their isolationist and xenophobic policies, as well as to put on a face for the nationalistic/militant corner.

That said, if the PRK does utilize this test as an act of aggression, it is the US' place to halt that. Unless those who are so worried about South Korea and Japan facing retaliation/fallout from the US initiating only care from that angle and the PRK is free to do what they will against others.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
do you have any idea how many folks are in the reserves? its an insane amount........even if we went to war with Russia, china and NK there probably still wouldn't be a draft

If we went to war with a billion and a half people I'm pretty sure there would be a draft.

tbm24

This would be bonkers, simply bonkers. Destabilize an entire region in one swoop for virtually no political gain.
Trumps more concerned about adding the achievement to his Twitter profile than he is about seeking political capital.

fr0st

Banned
Yup, and they keep doing it. Over and over. And over. The more they do it the more refined their weapons get. So if they test their capabilities again, that's a test that leads to better tech for them.

Sooner or later we're going to have to react. Rather sooner whilst their still in an infantile stage of missile warfare than later.
Don't they need satellites to guide the missiles which they don't have?

Effect

Trump is a narcissistic asshole who wants to show how "strong' he is. No other president would attack NK so he wants to in order to show he's better then them. It's about his ego and damn the consequences.

do you have any idea how many folks are in the reserves? its an insane amount........even if we went to war with Russia, china and NK there probably still wouldn't be a draft

any land war with north korea involved will require more than that.

either way i dont trust republicans to not go HEY WE NEED PEOPLE TO FIGHT FOR THE COUNTRY TIME FOR A DRAFT for the fuck of it because republicans are stupid.

Daedardus

Do they really have access to nuclear weapons? Have they dedicated all their research to developing a new one from scratch? Where do they get all the necessary equipment from then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom