• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

This all feels like deliberate attempts to manufacture a "crisis" in order to distract the public from all the investigations/accusations currently leveled against the Trump administration.

studyguy

Fallout 5 promo is really going all out.

Jokes aside brinksmanship is pretty fucking scary. I don't buy the idea that China or SK will allow us to go all in when they're literally right next door to NK. Also something about Donald the Dove, and non interventionism but hey man what the fuck is a year of campaign promises right?

Izuna

Banned
This one is the gem to break out
C4rLNWfXUAE8Dl0.jpg

You know

I'm not feeling this joke

Dehnus

well...here we go i guess.

see you guys on the other side!

Yup, and there were some people saying "Ooh it's just a carrier group, nothing fancy all this Hyperbole. The Trumpaloompa knows what he is doing." :(. Sigh.... well I"m sure there are tossers on facebook wanking to the possible death tolls on either side.

Even if it becomes a conventional war, millions will die, and it'll be extremely bloody. And before you go "Not that many died in these wars...." then you're only looking to the American Casualties.

But hey, the Republicans will be able to boost the Trumpaloompas poll rating with this. Whoopee.

Gallbaro

Banned
I do understand the logic, NK has remained consistently crazy (and supported for it) for generations. Unfortunately now that their capabilities are becoming actual American threats, you cannot exactly keep rewarding their crazy.

From a game theory point of view the stick is now becoming more attractive than the carrot.

Ac30

This all feels like deliberate attempts to manufacture a "crisis" in order to distract the public from all the investigations/accusations currently leveled against the Trump administration.

If I were South Korean I'd be pissing myself right now with this administration.

Xando

Just btw. Guys while Trumps rhetoric definitely speeds this process up Obama and Hilary also had the same position.

NK being able to reach the west coast with ICBMs would always mean military action

Effect

This is likely apart of it as well. People will say that's conspiratorial but that's how Trump operates and has operated.

maxcriden

Does North Korea have the capability to attack the US? (If not, why the replies about "see you on the other side" and "it's been real" and such?)

Don't they need satellites to guide the missiles which they don't have?

If it's on a GOLIS system, then it simply needs a location, and the ICBM contains a guidance system within itself in order to correct itself to that location. For example, the V-2 Rocket from 70 years ago used a GOLIS-like system where it simply had a preset guidance system and it would course-correct to remain on the path of the coordinates it was given.

A Satellite will lower the error percentage, but for a nuclear weapon, you don't really need a direct hit in order to cause damage.

Dierce

Just like he did not strike Syria or drop a MOAB today? Trump is an imbecile, but he is not afraid to order military action and instead seems incredibly anxious to do it.

It is all for show. That's why those other insignificant events happened. Orange turd does not have the balls to go to war with North Korea or any other country for that matter. He is simply a coward pretending to be tough.

pulsemyne

There testing longer range missiles and developing shrunken warheads is what i read.

Yeah they have been pouring their money into the nuclear and missile programs and saying to hell with anything else. Their people are going through a huge famine but still throwing money at such expensive programs. Their government is fucking mental. They used to kidnap people from all over the world and then take them to North Korea "Re-educate" them and get them to do things like teach spies how to act in western countries etc. Or even make films. Just read "A kim Jong il production" to realise how mad the place is.
One thing that could make the mess even more messy would be if NK test a hydrogen bomb. Now that would set alarm bells ringing.

If SK is onboard with this, and China is cool with it, then I say strategic strikes to keep them from furthering their nuclear strike capability is ok with me.

Does North Korea have the capability to attack the US? (If not, why the replies about "see you on the other side" and "it's been real" and such?)

So far no, they haven't demonstrated having a missile that can reach the US mainland or have shown they have successfully miniaturized their nuclear weapons to be placed on such a missile. Though they do continue to work to these ends. As for as the quotes, either they live close enough to NK to be in range of its other weapons, don't know better, or just gotta get in some snarky quotes.

Ac30

Its the same thing the article says: attack if there's a test.

The thing is apparently they'll ask SK for permission.

Shouldn't they be asking China.

Also, we know so little about NK they might well have conventional nuclear bombs or shells. They're dangerous, especially to their neighbours.

Tagyhag

GAF likes to be hyperbolic.

Let's say hypothetically, NK had a nuke for the west coast, our missile defense system can take care of one missile, especially one from NK, extremely easily. It's against hundreds/thousands of missles, especially from someone like China or Russia, where the system has trouble.

That said, If you're in SK it is worrying.

Thanks. So NK doesn't have the capability to attack the US, then? And China wouldn't be expect to retaliate against the US if the US did attack NK?

Nope.

China has zero incentive for a variety of reasons to retaliate. They bat NK around like a cat with a ball of yarn and they make too much money off of us.

maxcriden

So far no, they haven't demonstrated having a missile that can reach the US mainland or have shown they have successfully miniaturized their nuclear weapons to be placed on such a missile. Though they do continue to work to these ends. As for as the quotes, either they live close enough to NK to be in range of its other weapons, don't know better, or just gotta get in some snarky quotes.

GAF likes to be hyperbolic.

Let's say hypothetically, NK had a nuke for the west coast, our missile defense system can take care of one missile, especially one from NK, extremely easily. It's against hundreds/thousands of missles, especially from someone like China or Russia, where the system has trouble.

That said, If you're in SK it is worrying.

Nope.

China has zero incentive for a variety of reasons to retaliate. They bat NK around like a cat with a ball of yarn and they make too much money off of us.

I see, thanks all for your replies. I appreciate the information. Hopefully any bloodshed can be avoided.

Kurdel

Banned
If SK is onboard with this, and China is cool with it, then I say strategic strikes to keep them from furthering their nuclear strike capability is ok with me.

A war with the North is a death sentence for millions, I highly doubt they will want to chance any US offensive under Trump's guidance.

GutsOfThor

This little man has been ACHING for a conflict since day one. Since he is a complete failure domestically he needs SOMETHING and war is just the thing.

Crayolan

Do they really have access to nuclear weapons? Have they dedicated all their research to developing a new one from scratch? Where do they get all the necessary equipment from then?

I believe the theory is NK got nuclear capability through leaks from Pakistan.

It's highly unlikely NK could do anything to the US. They could pose a serious threat to South Korea and other US allies in the region though.

Dehnus

I really thought I would at least make it to 21 before I died via nuclear holocaust.

Don't worry you will, you'll be part of the fabulous army. Really classy. You'll get a uniform with golden thread and all kinds of bells and whistles, really high quality stuff folks.

It will also be designed by Ivanka, and then you get send off to Korea for "KoreaWar 2: Babyboomers want more episodes of MASH, so you better get to it you entitled late millennial!". and THEN you'll die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom