• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra84

Except NK isn't taking territory nor expanding its borders. Get out of here with your false equivalency.

A more patient Nazi Germany would have been much scarier. Taking territory and fighting a war interfered with the development of nukes, long range bombers, and rockets. A fresh 1945 Germany would have nuclear missiles and bombers and no one to stop them.

You're assuming that would be the outcome, what assumptions can we make about the consequences of allowing NK to continue to do what they're doing?

Haha assumptions? Perhaps attacking Japan, depends on how swift an invasion force can dismantle NK. But a flattened Seoul is 100% guarunteed. Hint: Nukes aren't even required.

If Donald attacks NK is going to be bombed back into the stone age, no chance for SK attack

You should maybe look at the map and in particular Seoul's position in relation to the NK border. Then you should look up the range of artillery weapons.

norm9

And a flattened Seoul and assaulted Japan is infinitely more world-breaking than NK getting new tech.

Look, I despise NK like any sane person would. But they are major key player (however unwanted) in the stability of East Asia.

As in the past, NK does some saber rattling. The US wags its finger and offers a carrot in the form of aid. NK feels like they've won and things quiet down again. Rinse and repeat through the decades.

Unfortunately, this time we have a madman in the white house that operates under the art of the deal so he doesn't know shit and his cabinet doesn't know shit. And his small dick needs to attack to prove his worth. This is where we at right now, and it is scary. We have a dunce who can barely pay attention to East Asian affiars for ten minutes.

Ac30

If Donald attacks NK is going to be bombed back into the stone age, no chance for SK attack

There are millions of active duty North Koreans alongside large amounts of mobile artillery units; US attacks, Seoul is going to be on fire. Hence why they won't do it.

You're assuming that would be the outcome, what assumptions can we make about the consequence of allowing NK to continue to do what they're doing?
That theyll behave in exactly the same way that theyve always behaved in modern history, since the consequences of significant acts of aggression on their part will remain the same. Quite a few decades of precedent on that.

if you wanna justify a strike on NK, it is up to you to come up with evidence that theyve ceased to be a rational actor.

AESplusF

Haha assumptions? Perhaps attacking Japan, depends on how swift an invasion force can dismantle NK. But a flattened Seoul is 100% guarunteed. Hint: Nukes aren't even required.

Lol ok so now you're just choosing to be wrong. Nothing is guaranteed, what do you really know about the situation, there's a lot of hidden information.

Lol ok so now you're just choosing to be wrong. Nothing is guaranteed, what do you really know about the situation, there's a lot of hidden information.

... what? Dude look at a map of Korea. And then look up the distance of NKs artillery capability. Not every country is as massive as the US.

You really don't understand the level of crap the NK army have at the ready. Unless the US, SK and Japan can coordinate synchronised sorties to bomb the entire 38th parallel WITHOUT Kim being notified, artillery will fly.

Polari

This is such a serious situation, we should have taken care of North Korea decades ago.

Fuck.

NK have had the ability to strike Seoul for a long time. Not to mention any attack would have resulted in China coming to NK's defense.

Does NK have the ability to hit Seoul with nukes now? I'm guessing they do.

A more patient Nazi Germany would have been much scarier. Taking territory and fighting a war interfered with the development of nukes, long range bombers, and rockets. A fresh 1945 Germany would have nuclear missiles and bombers and no one to stop them.

I mean comparing this to Nazi germany is kind of silly.

Not attacking the rival contury while it expanded its borders was the strategy taken with the USSR. We survived that. MAD exists. NK doesn't want war, the US, ROK and Japan don't want war. Even a NK armed with ICBMs while very scary doesn't change that dynamic. They'd still lose any war.

Nukes are always defensive weapons advent of ICMBs in the 50/60s. No reason for a preemptive first strike.

ZOONAMI

What am I reading right now? You think no one can stop NK and we need preemptive action? Insanity.

NK have had the ability to strike Seoul for a long time. Not to mention any attack would have resulted in China coming to NK's defense.

I believe its thought they have miniaturized their nukes enough to fit on missiles but i'm not sure if its confirmed.

Nukes are a what, 70 year old tech? Everyone who wants them knows exactly how they work. The problem has always been the weapons grade nuclear material, not the plans.

And no one with that material is going to give it up for sale.

I think NK would be happy to sell nuclear material or nuclear bombs if it provides them with a rich income source. International sanctions have left the regime with few other options to fill their coffers.

Their tech has been rapidly improving despite a lot of public and embarrassing failures. They recently gained the ability to launch missiles from mobile platforms.

Yes, and most of those gains in missile tech have come from access to missile parts (often western in origin) sourced from Chinese companies, as outlined by a Washington Post article today.

Obama could've leaned hard on China to do something about this, but I guess he felt it was politically better for him to kick the can down the road.

Look up missile defense system.

You really are uneducated in not only history but military capabilites as well huh? Listen, this isn't some Call of Duty fantasy bullshit in your video games. You're advocating risking the collapse of two top economies of the world because NK gets new tech.

riotous

Banned
Look up missile defense system.

I don't think they can stop the 1500 or so artillery units that would pummel Seoul; not to mention possible invasion force.

That's one of the major issues; NK doesn't need to launch missiles to fuck up Seoul.

Now "flattened" which is often used is likely hyperbole; but there would be massive amount of death.

They don't even need nukes, they have enough artillery within range to do catastrophic damage to Seoul.

Cobra84

Not attacking the rival contury while it expanded its borders was the strategy taken with the USSR. We survived that. MAD exists. NK doesn't want war, the US, ROK and Japan don't want war. Even a NK armed with ICBMs while very scary doesn't change that dynamic. They'd still lose any war.

Nukes are always defensive weapons advent of ICMBs in the 50/60s. No reason for a preemptive first strike.

What am I reading right now? You think no one can stop NK and we need preemptive action? Insanity.

I never once mentioned North Korea. All I said was starting a conventional war by taking territory before advanced weapons were ready made Germany less of a threat.

AESplusF

You really are uneducated in not only history but military capabilites as well huh? Listen, this isn't some Call of Duty fantasy bullshit in your video games. You're advocating risking the collapse of two top economies of the world because NK gets new tech.

Please point me in the right direction, where do you go to educate yourself? I'm not saying we should preemptively attack North Korea, I don't want that. I just think your argument is poorly made.

Making a personal attack on me just shows that you've run out of points to make.

I've never owned a call of duty game fyi.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a6212/north-korea-and-flattening-seoul/

It's perhaps more likely that NK would be hesitant to attack Seoul, in fear of the retaliation.

North Korea are the last people that want a war.

Nobody in the regime believes they will survive it.

Right. This is dictator dick swinging. At some point in time you're going to get smacked for swinging it too close though. I'm honestly surprised he's being this brazen about this. Why not just sit back in your ivory tower and and continue to rule your poors? Does he have to do this for the propaganda? A game of global oneupmanship?

I feel so fucking bad for Japan and Korea, Like this aint even us, we got hijacked. And he's fucking with world theatre.

He can rot in a ditch if he actually starts another war. Throw his fucking ass out if he starts a war.

Ac30

Right. This is dictator dick swinging. At some point in time you're going to get smacked for swinging it too close though. I'm honestly surprised he's being this brazen about this. Why not just sit back in your ivory tower and and continue to rule your poors? Does he have to do this for the propaganda? A game of global oneupmanship?

It's sad that it took me a second to realize you were talking about NK and not Trump.

Trump is doing exactly what Putin wants by going after NK. This is exactly how the US brought down the USSR – overspend and overextend militarily and domestically and inevitably you'll collapse. Fighting another war in Asia while also getting involved in Syria will do exactly that.

North Korea is run by such a cultist, brainwashed government that I would just let them be and pressure China about it. If anything bad happens its solely on Trump. We dont need this dick waving.

Flo_Evans

Anti-missile tech really doesn't work.

50% success rate at best.

I don't believe any of our latest has been live tested.

It's also not in South Korea.

North Korea could get in a few rounds before cruise missiles decimated their border defenses. I don't believe they could "flatten" soel in an initial volley... but then again we cannot flatten n Korea in a single volley unless we used nukes and all thier stuff being amassed at the border makes that a no go (besides the whole nuke thing)

I am not a general though.

I do believe the current "crisis" if you want to call it that is this test nuke would be able to be mounted to a missle and strike Japan. I don't think thier current nukes can be launched, they would have to deliver it by train to s korea.

Again... not a general and I have no security clearance. Hopefully the test fails.

A preemptive strike automatically puts you in the wrong.

How many times has this rung true, yet people in this thread are honestly suggesting it should have been done years ago? Have you lot not been watching the news for the past 20 years?

Pre-emptive strikes do not work. Conventional invasions do not work. How many years has it been since Saddam was executed, yet the US can't prop-up a government in Iraq without Baghdad being car-bombed every other week or keep the second largest city in the country safe from militants? Imagine that situation, but the 4th largest army in the world; how many tens of times bigger than the membership of ISIS and Al Qaeda etc combined.

ZOONAMI

How many times has this rung true, yet people in this thread are honestly suggesting it should have been done years ago? Have you lot not been watching the news for the past 20 years?

Pre-emptive strikes do not work. Conventional invasions do not work. How many years has it been since Saddam was executed, yet the US can't prop-up a government in Iraq without Baghdad being car-bombed every other week or keep the second largest city in the country safe from militants? Imagine that situation, but the 4th largest army in the world; how many tens of times bigger than the membership of ISIS and Al Qaeda etc combined.

Yep. Being the agressor isn't a good thing. NK has had a fairly advanced nuclear weapons program for some time now, and despite their shitty rhetoric they aren't carrying out attacks on anyone. It's clearly posturing.

Imo Pakistan is just as dangerous if not more so because they seem more vulnerable to extremists who would actually use their nukes taking control of said nukes.

If you attack NK preemptively you're worse than NK.

There's a strategic advantage to a preemptive strike. If the war is going to happen anyway because we can't let them have nukes and ICBM's and they won't stop the pursuit of nukes and ICBM's, a preemptive strike benefits Seoul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom