• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly 5 years later, are you still upset about Scalebounds cancellation?

Are you still upset Scalebound was cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Never was

Votes: 148 60.9%

• Total voters

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Of course I'm upset. There's not nearly enough middle-earth dragon-riding videogames out there.

I'd also like another Drakan sequel, if you please.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It was rough, E3 run at 15 FPS and it does not look like Kamiya goodness honestly. Better spent time on more ambitious projects.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nope, haven’t cared for any of there games save the transformer one for the feels.

DJTHEGREY

It was Definitely disappointing. Assuming it was a solid game it would've been great for Xbox which definitely needed more must have exclusives.

Dolomite

I don't personally care too much. It is sad to think of the devs working on something for so long to have it canned though

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Jesus....let it F*cking go already
8YfnmJI.gif

Skullkid94700

Neo Member
I was disappointed until PSO2 was announced for a western release. At the time we didnt have the JRPG's we have now (Genshin Impact, BOTW and PSO2) and this game seemed to me like a western version of PSO.

That being said, it did look rough and that it relied more on edgy humor and gameplay similar to games like Sunset Overdrive and DMC. I just wanted a game that wasn't an edgy FPS that Xbox One users could enjoy.

SSfox

The cancellation of this game was the thing that made me lose the little optimism i've have other Xbox and Microsoft.

I was looking forward to it, everything Kamiya does is a masterpiece, either it's RE2, DMC, Okami or Bayonetta, but who cares about Scalebound since the game doesn't exist, but no i'm not thinking about it no more, it's old news flushed into the toilet.

Dane

I don't know much, all I know is that there was an issue with framerate, and there wasn't much hype althrough it was positively nicknamed as "DMC with Dragons and coop" at the time. Then Microsoft cancelled it and everybody blamed on them on the shitfest of Xbox One initial management and launch (basically a blame by "association"), even if Platinum was on a mediocre spree release (TMNT, Korra and Starfox) with only Transformers having a good reception, I think there was even a concern before its cancellation because of those games.

But honestly, most people only remember to shit on Xbox because they hate the brand in the first place, no one gave a fuck about theorizing that the last platinum games and the game's demos reception could have made a huge reason for its cancellation, the irony is that Microsoft might have saved Platinum from releasing another game below the studio standards and they took all the blame.

Last edited:
I wasn’t furious or anything, I think what disappointment me more was the man in charge stating this cancellation was the best thing for Xbox gamers , how confident he stated in the future line up and if you look how the generation played out overall what we actually got, I mean , fuckin hell.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I mainly used the Xbox One & Gaming PCs all generation. I mostly prefer to play JRPGs. Scalebound never looked good. It seems like it played like garbage and never made sense. It was just a money pit tech demo from Platinum. Dante from Devil May Cry being an edgelord with headphones, riding a dragon. WTF is that shit? Where's the Lost Odyssey followup?

I was more upset that Phil Spencer, as good as he is for the whole brand; kept saying "Keep asking" for JRPGs in the media, went to Japan every year, and occasionally we would get a better-late-than-never port of something. I was still laughing at the game drought and delays. I was really laughing at how Lost Odyssey busted it's 10th year anniversary in Japan and in North America without a peep from Major Nelson and the crew of clowns that keep trying to sell me "high quality pixels", or new controllers.

That's not changed much. They have yet to go big in Japan. I don't, and won't care about Xbox Series hardware until the games show up.

Dr Bass

No. The disappointment wore off over time. But I am to this day still confused by Phil Spencer's PR statement at the time.

These tweets do not age well.

*PHEW* Glad we dodged that ScaleBound bullet. Xbox is WAY better for having one less game from a known and well loved developer from Japan.

This kind of marketing speak makes me depressed. It's just so disingenuous.

Also, to people saying it looked bad ... it wasn't even close to complete. And what's the excuse for letting 343i spin their wheels but cutting off PG for this one? I dunno. I don't think it was a smart move ...

Look at it this way. If it turned out less than great, people would blame Platinum for not doing a good job, but my personal opinion is that MS would have gotten credit for supporting them and trying something different. And that's the point. Try different things, support the platform.

Bridges

I was actually really looking forward to it before the cancellation. Probably my most anticipated MS release of last gen, even if it did look pretty rough in the preview. I was very sad to see it disappear, MS desperately needed more JPN games (thankfully they are doing a little better now in that department from 3rd parties).

Afterwards I actually ended up really enjoying Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves got updated and became much better and I realized that I liked the Gears of War series. But I remember at the time, it felt like they had just cancelled the only part of their lineup that was of any interest to me. It was a bad time to be on Xbox.

Five years? I'm still pissed off at Randy Bitchford for not releasing duke nukem forever 2001 when he said he wanted to sell it.

Game was looking like hot garbage, and I said so immediately attending the Xbox press event where they showed the multi-player footage. I was like, "I waited for this garbage?"

JLB

Banned
Almost nobody cared about this game until it got cancelled and became all of the sudden a worldwide tragedy for some very fine people.

GuinGuin

Banned
They have never made a multiplayer-focused game where you give instructions to a dragon-buddy either. I mean, it would have been strange to cancel a Platinum beat-em-up because they know that genre like the back of their hand, and even their worst ones are still good games, but this was different.
It's a good thing that they tried something different, but it's also ok to admit when you fail and pull the plug to start over.

Thats an inaccurate description. It wasn't multiplayer focused it was a single player combat game primarily which is Platinum's bread and butter. They didn't choose to cancel it. Microsoft pulled the rug out

Last edited:
Anytime Microsoft makes sometihing that has a dragon I seem to want it.

Blue Dragon, Kameo, Cuphead, Scalebound.. if theres a xbox dragon somewhere I seem to be interested.

GuinGuin

Banned
Almost nobody cared about this game until it got cancelled and became all of the sudden a worldwide tragedy for some very fine people.

I recall the opposite. Xbox fans went crazy for it when it was announced and trotted it out every time they could until it was canceled then they pretended they didn't care. It's okay to care.

plip.plop

My only beef with the game that was shown, was that I really hated that main character. He looked like a DMC reject concept, and I hated those glowing beats headphones he had on. Otherwise, I would've played the shit out of it.

The Alien

Banned
Oh Jesus Christ. Another fucking Scalebound thread?

Let me guess....it was the one game that woulda made people buy an Xbox, right?

Game looked like shit. Performed even worse. Anything shown was cringe AF.

Let it die already.

Enjay

Banned
Nope in fact I'm happy it got canceled as clover/platinum needed a swift kick in the ass from a publisher since the ps2 days.

junguler

Banned
game looked goofy and not the good kind, regardless i wasn't going to play it as it was an xbox exclusive and back then they weren't releasing their games on pc.

JLB

Banned
I recall the opposite. Xbox fans went crazy for it when it was announced and trotted it out every time they could until it was canceled then they pretended they didn't care. It's okay to care.

Go there and check how many messages Scalebound threads got at the time.
Then check the Scalebound cancellation one.
Its ok try to troll better.

Naked Lunch

I love Platinum Games and Kamiya but this game never looked good which was kinda shocking.
Just by the preview videos you could tell the movement and combat were not up to Platinums' standards.
Cancellation seemed like it was for the best.
Maybe theyll work on something new in the future with MS.

The only game I can think of that im pissed that got cancelled is the original version of Team Fortress 2 which was delayed for years. The TF2 we ended up getting (which I cant stand) is nothing like the original version.

Top Bottom