• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need computer help fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu

OK, I decided to do a cleanup on my system and do the good old format and reinstallation of winXP pro. Everything went off without a hitch perfectly except after examing my system, I noticed that the drive letter for the primary boot drive had been changed to F: while the secondary drive was now C: and that bothered me for some unknown reason.

Anyways, I read up on a website how to change this in the registry and went ahead and did that (not reccomended of course), but instead of just causing some minor problems if any at all as anticipated, it's totaly fucked up my booting entirely.

When the computer boots up, it gets to the windowsXP loading screen, but before it can load and show me the user profiles, the computer totaly locks down. I figured this was a side effect of the problem and a simple fdisk and format and reinstall would fix it right up. No big deal as nothing gained is nothing lost, but I can't even do that either.

After rebooting to dos using a winME disk, the computer won't even allow me to access Fdisk. It says something about there being no drive to access or some error -- "No Fixed Disks Present."

Ok, that's no problem I figured so I'd just go ahead and format the drive manually in dos, but when I type in format C: or format F:, it fails to execute the format.

Afterwards, I went ahead and tried to see if my windows xp boot diskettes (the set of 6) would be able to possibly format the drive and create a new partition. However, after inserting disk 2, it says a certain file can't be copied and the whole program just shuts down.

After that, I went ahead and tried to access the windows safe mode and start up windows that way and undo the registry keys to fix what I fucked up and that freezes at the boot screen as well.

With Fdisk not working, formatting not working, windowsXP diskettes not working, and safe mode failing, I am at a total loss for what to try next.

Can anyone help me out here?

Ryu

To change the primary boot letters, it said the only way that could be done was in the registry with a reboot afterwards. I tried changing it through the my computer manage disk management menu, but that failed.

ChrisReid

Ryu said:
To change the primary boot letters, it said the only way that could be done was in the registry with a reboot afterwards. I tried changing it through the my computer manage disk management menu, but that failed.

All you do to change the boot letters is flip a couple switches in the BIOS settings, change the positioning of the hard drives on the ribbon cable, or switch the jumpers on the hard drives, depending on your configuration. You should have asked for help before you went and funked up the registry. :(

Anyhow.. so if a hard drive is completely inaccessible from all the means you've tested.. try taking it out and putting in another master drive. Load or boot from that if possible or even install XP. Then put in the original drive as a slave or a secondary master drive. At that point XP should recognize it and you can format it from your stable island on the second drive.

And also, what happens when you try your XP install disc? You might be able to manage a reformat or reinstallation from that.

Ryu

Technology is fucking amazing. Switched the jumpers from Master to Cable Select and the fucking thing works like a charm. Unbelieveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom