• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some GBA advice PLS

I'm starting to play my GBA a lot more, and now the lack of lighting for the screen is really starting to get to me. It didn't use to bother me, because I didn't play it all that much.

So I was looking into one of those Afterburner kits that I had heard about. My GBA is pretty old (I bought it when the SP wasn't even on the radar), so I know that it adds a backlight to the GBA.. but thats about it. I don't know if there are other alternatives. Now I have had two reports; some say that it takes almost no extra battery power for the light. Others say it really sucks up the juice. Do any of you guys have a GBA w/ an Afterburner, and can tell me wether or not it eats up a lot of batteries, and is it worth it?

You may wonder why I don't just upgrade to a SP or DS. Well, I don't like the SP. The screen is an improvment, certainly. But I had a few friends with them, and I was able to try it out at length (because I was considering an upgrade), but I just couldnt get over its new shape. I MUCH preferred how the original felt.

As for the DS.. well, it looks like it would do what I want, but I don't have $200+ to spend on a DS, so I'm hoping the Afterburner will be cheaper ;)

Cherubae

Afterburner doesn't take a lot of juice, but they're a pain to install if you do it yourself. If you can find a place that still does the installation (for something that's years old) then you'll be fine, but don't bother if you aren't confident with your souldering skillz. I installed 2 of them and it's difficult to prevent dust from getting between the AF light and the clear GBA screen cover.

Your best bet is to just go and purchase an external light or save up for a new console.

Top Bottom