• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2015 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
I'd have to look up seasonal stats to say anything with confidence.

I've noticed, maybe because of my own personal tastes, that there are more shorts being simulcasted.

Edit: read haly's post

I realised IGN has a better top anime list than gaf

tumblr_nufi1bVb6S1ql4solo1_500.png

Fbh

Awww didn't see the voting thread.

Anyway, decent results. Personally I didn't like many shows this year. One Punch Man, Jojo and Death Parade (which BTW has the best opening since like.... Cowboy Bebop) are about the only things I really liked.

Also, damn. Must have been a terible year for movies if Digimon is on the list. I grew up with Digimon and the first 3 seasons have a special nostalgic value for me, but that movie was terrible. Bad pacing, boring story, bad action and the animation couldn't even keep up with several weekly shows (you generally expect movies to have a bit more budget than you average weekly anime)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah sure but the things like the "Ultra Super Anime Time" block and Teekyu were already a thing in 2015. As well as popular other shorts like Somera-chan and Wakako-zake.

I wouldn't say that this is really a thing that happened in 2016

It's less "started in 2016" and more "increasingly recognized in 2016".

If I had a disappointment of the year it was Insight.

I remember seeing your posts as it was ongoing. I feel like such an outsider here but I much preferred it to S1 (which I liked a lot in the first place). Definitely room for improvement but I picked up pretty much everything it put down.

Yeah sure but the things like the "Ultra Super Anime Time" block and Teekyu were already a thing in 2015. As well as popular other shorts like Somera-chan and Wakako-zake.

I wouldn't say that this is really a thing that happened in 2016

Agreed. The only good shorts in 2016 so far are Tabi Machi Late Show, which is a sweet little picture drama, and Teekyuu, which is Teekyuu. 2015 had better shorts such as Kagewani. Really, you could already see the potential of short anime realized in Yama no Susume S1 and Pupipo.

Wichu

Insight was great, but Crowds was definitely better. Insight had too many plot threads to handle all of them well, and Hajime was way more fun to watch than Tsubasa. I think it focused too much on Tsubasa/Gel - it should have given more time to the other characters.

The best parts of Insight were the Hajime/Katze interactions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Insight was great, but Crowds was definitely better. Insight had too many plot threads to handle all of them well, and Hajime was way more fun to watch than Tsubasa. I think it focused too much on Tsubasa/Gel - it should have given more time to the other characters.

The best parts of Insight were the Hajime/Katze interactions.

Also, the series had NO clue what to do with most of the season one cast.

It's less "started in 2016" and more "increasingly recognized in 2016".

Yeah I agree, Summer 2015 seemed to start a big boom if I looked correctly.

I'm not 100% confident in this but the "increasingly recognized" may be a thing that only happens in smaller communities like AnimeGAF where even a lot of smaller shows get their five minutes of fame (although this didn't help Tabi Machi taking off X.X)

I wonder how popular these shorts are in the bigger communities.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know. What do you think was overlooked from 2015? It was a year of tepid sequels. You're going to get these years at some point.

In contrast, 2016 already has a strong showing with Rakugo and Erased and the "standardization" of the shorts format.
It would be somewhat pointless to list "overlooked" shows from 2015 and not just have it be something like my list. Even from shows I'm not really that fond of or haven't watched it'd be nice to see stuff like Sora ga Seiyuu, Koufuku Graffiti, Concrete Revolutio, Garo, Osomatsu, Junketsu no Maria, or maybe even garbage like BBB. Not only does the compiled GAF list lack projects that exude a certain sense of creativity, but they also seem to target a very specific demographic. That's probably what strikes me the most, is the lack of diversity in the tone these shows sell. This is probably the first year where there are just no comedy shows listed in the top ten. Everything is self-serious to a degree, and I can't really say a single show on the list is really demanding of the audience to really offer more than a modicum of intelligent thought.

Expecting short shows to somehow take off because they are slightly longer just seems like misplaced optimism based on a meaningless metric. Seven minutes isn't exactly new either, with past projects like Hacka Doll and Tonari no Seki-kun both never really finding success in end of year votes, but 2015 marked even less success for shorts across all votes, in both TV and OVA/movie catagories.

Yeah I agree, Summer 2015 seemed to start a big boom if I looked correctly.

Summer 2015 was when the Ultra Super Anime Time block started, which adds 3+ short shows to every season. Plus, since they share a half-hour timeslot, they end up being 8 minutes, longer than the usual 2-5 minutes for shorts and already approaching half-length anime (examples of which would be Azazel-san, Muromi, Yama no Susume S2).

Summer 2015 was when the Ultra Super Anime Time block started, which adds 3+ short shows to every season. Plus, since they share a half-hour timeslot, they end up being 8 minutes, longer than the usual 2-5 minutes for shorts and already approaching half-length anime (examples of which would be Azazel-san, Muromi, Yama no Susume S2).

While we're at it. I always wondered in which timeslots Teekyu and other super short anime fit. From being a kid I can remember that sometimes they aired a short Disney animation during commercial breaks. How does it work in Japan?

Also Tabi Machi finished right? I remember that it would be replaced with something else but I might be making things up. Do you know what's going to happen?

Verelios

Glad Shiroboko made it since it deserves more praise. I liked Sound Euphonium enough, but as for whether it can be considered top in 2015, search your hearts to see if it's true.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where the hell is rolling girls

You nerds really fucked up this time

Rolling Girls was good for about 2 episodes.

https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/80b03b0de68217c98792c8985dfab8ed.webm

Nevar forget what could've been ;~;7
It would be somewhat pointless to list "overlooked" shows from 2015 and not just have it be something like my list. Even from shows I'm not really that fond of or haven't watched it'd be nice to see stuff like Sora ga Seiyuu, Koufuku Graffiti, Concrete Revolutio, Garo, Osomatsu, Junketsu no Maria, or maybe even garbage like BBB.
Hm, okay I can kind of see this. I'm not sure the shift you're talking about exists just yet but there is level of "been there done that" in this list compared to previous ones.

Expecting short shows to somehow take off because they are slightly longer just seems like misplaced optimism based on a meaningless metric.

I don't think the length is what will make a difference. I'm talking about the exposure as part of the seasonal "lineup". That's why Animator Expo suffered. You had to really campaign to get people to watch them.

While we're at it. I always wondered in which timeslots Teekyu and other super short anime fit. From being a kid I can remember that sometimes they aired a short Disney animation during commercial breaks. How does it work in Japan?

I'm no expert in Japanese TV channels, but they air at all sorts of odd times. Teekyuu airs Tuesdays at 1:05 AM on Tokyo MX, after which comes Ketsuekigata-kun! at 1:08 AM, after which comes Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desu kara at 1:11 AM. Not sure if there's a consistent pattern for how all shorts are handled.

Also Tabi Machi finished right? I remember that it would be replaced with something else but I might be making things up. Do you know what's going to happen?

Yes, Comix Wave is organizing a series of 3 shorts, 4 episodes each, which will all air in the same timeslot. This week This Boy Works with Magic will start, and in March She and Her Cat will air.

All of these anime suck compared to episode 13 of Lupin

Yeah I agree.

I'm no expert in Japanese TV channels, but they air at all sorts of odd times. Teekyuu airs Tuesdays at 1:05 AM on Tokyo MX, after which comes Ketsuekigata-kun! at 1:08 AM, after which comes Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desu kara at 1:11 AM. Not sure if there's a consistent pattern for how all shorts are handled.

Yes, Comix Wave is organizing a series of 3 shorts, 4 episodes each, which will all air in the same timeslot. This week This Boy Works with Magic will start, and in March She and Her Cat will air.

Hmm, I guess the shorts are still used to fill a 10 minute time-slot. Pretty interesting.

The upcoming short with the cat looks really interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks!

jgminto

Don't think there's anything in the Top 10 I have a problem with, surprised to see Gundam IBO make the list though. It has been a lot of fun to watch but I wasn't expecting that push. I am disappointed that Ore Monogatari and Osomatsu-san didn't make it though.

Aki-at

3. It understands Zenigata.

This IS one of my favourite aspects from the current Lupin series.

I think it's an entertaining show so far with a few rough episodes but his portrayal has been great so far.

We can only hope, but something like My Hero Academy will get more attention from casuals than Erased will.

I think you underestimate how popular murder mysteries can be, especially when there's a slight twist to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom