• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2015 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I've heard Death Parade demands some thinking from the audience. I guess I can judge that for myself later!

It's not really a subtle show. There really isn't much intellectual contemplation imo, more of an emotional contemplation sort of show, since it's about morality and how people cope with death and misfortune.

Most TV shows don't demand thinking from viewers, even if they have things to think about. Probably the 2015 TV anime I've seen that asks the most from people watching is Concrete Revolutio, because of how densely plotted it is and how heavily it relies on parallels to 20th century Japanese history.

Jarmel

Banned
Most TV shows don't demand thinking from viewers, even if they have things to think about. Probably the 2015 TV anime I've seen that asks the most from people watching is Concrete Revolutio, because of how densely plotted it is and how heavily it relies on parallels to 20th century Japanese history.

Honestly Concrete Revolutio didn't even need to do the timeskip gimmick and I think it served to undercut the show.

Honestly Concrete Revolutio didn't even need to do the timeskip gimmick and I think it served to undercut the show.

The achronological storytelling does tie in to the main theme of the series though. It shows a past where lines of good and evil seem to be relatively clear and a future where those lines have been blurred to the point of vanishing, driving home the main theme of the complexity lurking underneath the surface of morality.

Jarmel

Banned
The achronological storytelling does tie in to the main theme of the series though. It shows a past where lines of good and evil seem to be relatively clear and a future where those lines have been blurred to the point of vanishing, driving home the main theme of the complexity lurking underneath the surface of morality.

That could have just easily been done in a normal time progression and was already being demonstrated through the content in the episodic material anyway.

Crocodile

Rolling Girls has to be the biggest disappointment of 2015. The first two episodes were among the best opening episodes of any anime I've ever seen O_O

But then it just wastes away as a show :(

Yeah, it definitely reeked more of "look how clever I am!" than "2deep4me" or an overall positive contribution to the show and its narrative. I think it could have played the timelines more straight and been a better, more accessible show for it.

With the positive posts of Concrete Revolutio once people binged it, I'll give it a fair try but week to week, especially early on, it was unbearable and the timeline felt like it was doing a disservice to characterization. Maybe one of these weekends I'll give it a wach, shouldn't take too long.

That could have just easily been done in a normal time progression and was already being demonstrated through the content in the episodic material anyway.

The episodic material usually has a structure of "here is a situation/character at one time", "here are the consequences of that situation/character several years in the future". I don't think that could be easily reworked into a straight chronological narrative; you'd have to take an entirely different approach for the whole show. Really, the achronological storytelling is more meaningful here than it is in, say, Baccano.

Jarmel

Banned
The episodic material usually has a structure of "here is a situation/character at one time", "here are the consequences of that situation/character several years in the future". I don't think that could be easily reworked into a straight chronological narrative; you'd have to take an entirely different approach for the whole show. Really, the achronological storytelling is more meaningful here than it is in, say, Baccano.

Right, the consequences aspect should have been reworked into the larger storyline about whatever is happening in the future. Instead, events can come off as shock material instead of actually building towards them. Earth-chan's stuff is a perfect example in that her time skip was more for shock value than something actually tied to that episode.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
No Parasyte :(
Good list though.
I know. It's like everyone forgot about it the second it finished airing. :( Also, I ain't even mad Marnie didn't have the top spot. I watched Little Witch Academia recently and loved it. If only Trigger could put put more stuff like this.

Honestly, I think Concrete Revolutio really works best when you marathon it or watch them close together in a row. When I was waiting week to week I couldn't be arsed and forgot half of the time differences and whatnot and it ended up just not fitting correctly but on a second watch all the way through it worked a lot better for me and things snapped into place

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like I should make this post as I was probably a bit too 'snappy' earlier in regards to TUSR. I'm not particularly happy with the notion of going back and recounting as it assumes Qurupeke made a mistake in the first place without prior warning. I also feel like some of this is due to the larger than usual grumbling from some of the Monocles that this year's list essentially wasn't artsy enough for them. That said, it does appear Qurupeke made a mistake with some of the tallies, even though I haven't been able to verify them for myself.

However if there are discrepancies with how people placed their votes, the decision lies with Qurupeke in how he/she wants to take the vote. If Qurupeke wants to throw an ambiguous vote out then that's on Qurupeke and likewise. Going back and saying votes are ambiguous and thus should be thrown out, isn't your call. It's whoever is actually tallying the votes in the first place. Things like a person having two shows in one slot isn't technically against the rules but could be penalized by splitting the amount of points between the shows. Ultimately it's on the counter on how they want to handle it.

Besides this whole thing is just a shitty popularity contest.

Thoraxes

Yurikuma was robbed. I'm sorry Ikuhara-sama.

But Euphonium did good. I hope more people watch it now. Easily my favorite KyoAni work and imo, the best.

Qurupeke

I feel like I should make this post as I was probably a bit too 'snappy' earlier in regards to TUSR. I'm not particularly happy with the notion of going back and recounting as it assumes Qurupeke made a mistake in the first place without prior warning. I also feel like some of this is due to the larger than usual grumbling from some of the Monocles that this year's list essentially wasn't artsy enough for them. That said, it does appear Qurupeke made a mistake with some of the tallies, even though I haven't been able to verify them for myself.

However if there are discrepancies with how people placed their votes, the decision lies with Qurupeke in how he/she wants to take the vote. If Qurupeke wants to throw an ambiguous vote out then that's on Qurupeke and likewise. Going back and saying votes are ambiguous and thus should be thrown out, isn't your call. It's whoever is actually tallying the votes in the first place. Things like a person having two shows in one slot isn't technically against the rules but could be penalized by splitting the amount of points between the shows. Ultimately it's on the counter on how they want to handle it.

Besides this whole thing is just a shitty popularity contest.

If people want the 10th place to change, and as 2 people have found the same number of votes, I don't mind. I think it's very possible that I've made a mistake. For IBO, I've counted someone ranking it as Gundam and as I said, I haven't counted just Durara votes and instead I counted the points in the lists without it, ranking from 1-9. Even if it was clear that the guy meant IBO, I guess I shouldn't have counted that vote.

I haven't counted just Durara votes and instead I counted the points in the lists without it, ranking from 1-9.

Why do this? Durarara was just a split-cour show, you could have just combined all the votes because it doesn't really matter what season they were voting for. Not that I think it's worth bothering to change.

Exalted

If people want the 10th place to change, and as 2 people have found the same number of votes, I don't mind. I think it's very possible that I've made a mistake. For IBO, I've counted someone ranking it as Gundam and as I said, I haven't counted just Durara votes and instead I counted the points in the lists without it, ranking from 1-9. Even if it was clear that the guy meant IBO, I guess I shouldn't have counted that vote.
Nah, i think it's fine the way it is. Your thread your rules.

Qurupeke

Why do this? Durarara was just a split-cour show, you could have just combined all the votes because it doesn't really matter what season they were voting for.

The first few votes ranked it as different shows, so I followed that. It didn't have many votes anyway so I didn't think it would matter a lot. Same happened with Owari no Seraph, but there wasn't any ambiguity, probably because the first season was called Owari no Seraph...

Fisico

I haven't counted just Durara votes and instead I counted the points in the lists without it, ranking from 1-9. Even if it was clear that the guy meant IBO, I guess I shouldn't have counted that vote.

I guess those are the rules, but splitting the votes for Durarara between the two seasons is really odd, they decided to have this weird split cour thing but in the end it's exactly the same thing without a change of tone/staff/budget/whatever.

Minor complaint though, in the end it wouldn't have changed anything substantial in the ranking

tbh I wish GAF cared more about moe shit. most of the stuff in the top 10. the fuck breh, I think people care way too much about having a story.

action animu are some of the most boring shit ever. some of the popular overcontemplative animu are boring too ;_;

Not sure if serious.

Moaradin

Rolling Girls has to be the biggest disappointment of 2015. The first two episodes were among the best opening episodes of any anime I've ever seen O_O

But then it just wastes away as a show :(

if you liked the first two episodes of Rolling Girls, then check out Yozakura Quartet. The best thing Rolling Girls did was introduce me to that show.

Still don't by the way.

I mean you could at least take that L when you were so adamant it wouldn't even be a top 10 finisher, or ya know, watch more then 5 minutes before shutting it off because it has one poor taste scene in the first episode <____<

Sölf

No love for Ninja Slayer. I dislike you all.

And my comment was picked for the Psycho-Pass movie, wtf. xD

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We failed to get Garo up there. It's over.

The like 5 of that watched it while it was ongoing tried, to get others to watch it, especially after episode 13 when it started to get really good, granted I didn't vote (because I watch like 4 animes max per year, so don't feel adequate to decide on an anime of the year). It's a shame, but dark fantasy isn't a particularily popular genre in the first place, especially in the type of Garo.

We're supposed to be a getting a movie continuation this year too!
Maximum hype for that movie, such a surprisingly well rounded show.

Paltheos

too high for type moon imo

Hey, man, Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero are awesome. 24th... is probably right for UBW, in the grand scheme of things. Somewhere in that area, from the 7 episodes I saw anyway. It's not smart but it's not offensive. The fighting's not well-choreographed like Zero but DBZ-fighting is fine popcorn entertainment and the show looks good. I've heard season 2 is worse though in direction so I might not know what I'm talking about.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Glad Haikyuu! is on there. I've never heard of 2,3,7 or 8.

2 (Shirobako) is pretty much on-point in how production works, and though it's specific to anime production many of the situations it portrays mirrors my experience in game, VFX, and CG animation production as well as software development in a creative environment.

Not really going to attract new people though.

I doubt the name of a second season is a big dealbreaker during the proces of someone deciding to pick up a Slice of Life series.

But hey, there's no knowing what would've happened if the name was different so there's not much to argue about, outside from our assumptions.

Crocodile

if you liked the first two episodes of Rolling Girls, then check out Yozakura Quartet. The best thing Rolling Girls did was introduce me to that show.

Seen & liked it a lot putting aside it plays "power of friendship" a bit too strong/straight and the director/animators are clearly perverts :/

Fate in 24th place? What's wrong with you Gaf

Seems about right. Fate/Zero = Great. Fate/Stay Night = Pretty but awful

Moaradin

Punch Line was completely mediocre. It felt like it didn't know what it wanted to do. The characters were uninteresting and none of the story stuff felt earned at the end. It should have went full on wacky or tried to do more with the story and time travel stuff, but in the end it failed on both of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom