• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

nush

Gold Member
I don't believe that for a second.

I'll even give the mods some understanding here. REEEEE posters literally sabotaged the entire forum, smeared the owner, tried to ruin his business and set out on a malicious campaign. I'd understand if there is a bias towards anti-ANTIFA, anti-SJW rhetoric. I'd completely understand if that was the position of the mods openly, because that is also my position. That's probably the position of almost everyone on this site. But it doesn't actually say that anywhere, even though we all know it's true.

Don't post bollocks theory's. If you'd been paying attention during the quiet days you'd have read that the bossman was very pragmatic about the whole thing. He did the mature and rational thing of picking himself up, dusting off and rebuilding.

REE's only get the banhammer if they are just here to start shit. We've got many cross-forum posters, they're for the most part absolutely fine.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Don't post bollocks theory's. If you'd been paying attention during the quiet days you'd have read that the bossman was very pragmatic about the whole thing. He did the mature and rational thing of picking himself up, dusting off and rebuilding.

REE's only get the banhammer if they are just here to start shit. We've got many cross-forum posters, they're for the most part absolutely fine.

Rules that are actually listed clearly are effective because they help promote objectivity.

Help me understand how someone posting "ACAB" gets a permanent ban, while other people repeatedly insulting users over and over don't even get a warning. Reference the rules and explain to me how that makes sense.

Tesseract

Banned
because all cops aren't bastards, it's a gross slogan with downright hateful intentions, interlinking various terrorist organizations

insults are perception, one person's insult can be another's persons harsh truth

it's hard to tell without surrounding context, especially if you've given a little yourself in the past

Last edited:

Punished Miku

because all cops aren't bastards, it's a gross slogan with downright hateful intentions interlinking various terrorist organizations

insults are perception, one person's insult can be another's persons harsh truth

it's hard to tell without surrounding context, especially if you've given a little yourself in the past

Well the rules need to be updated to include a section about not using speech "interlinking various terrorist organizations." Currently it doesn't say a thing about that. We can agree on that right?

Tesseract

Banned
Well the rules need to be updated to include a section about not using speech "interlinking various terrorist organizations." Currently it doesn't say a thing about that. We can agree on that right?
that's not for me to say, i'm just here to play video games and razor sharp my mind with good conversation

staff bans shit they don't like, why do you need so many rules to not be a shit lord maniac who deals in absolutes

Punished Miku

that's not for me to say, i'm just here to play video games and razor sharp my mind with good conversation

staff bans shit they don't like, why do you need so many rules to not be a shit lord maniac who deals in absolutes

I thought one of the huge successes of this site is transparent and fair moderation.

But I guess everyone just wants to trash me or laugh at me.

There was a thread in Communities forum that had certain circus-performer connotations as part of its well-known title.
That title was changed due to the increasingly loaded nature of circus-performer connotations and NeoGAF's understandable need to adapt to a changing social landscape.
By happy accident it now seems that @hariseldon has become an unwitting inner-community meme.

Not a bad result. @hariseldon might feel differently about it though. 🤷‍♀️

Tesseract

Banned
I thought one of the huge successes of this site is transparent and fair moderation.

But I guess everyone just wants to trash me or laugh at me.
it seems fairly transparent, there's an ongoing conversation in this thread

as for the you part, again i don't think anyone is setting out to dress you down unless they've felt slighted during an exchange

(give a little, get a little)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I don't believe that's what is going on. Not in this thread, anyway. We can't all see every post on this forum at once. You need to point in the right direction.

I mean, I just pointed to a person permanently banned for posting 4 letters. The only reason to ban anyone for that is to explicitly ban on political grounds. Also, every single poster who has ever read a politics thread on this site knows that people get dogpiled and insulted without action, contrary to the rules listed.

I even expressed empathy towards the mods if they want to openly take a stance against ANTIFA rhetoric. That's my personal position as well. But, my only claim here is that the rules listed do not reflect what the moderators do at all; only focusing on the politics forum. You can look at the ban list, or almost any of the politics threads.

And for the record, I'm totally fine if they want to ban me and continue on doing whatever they want without clear rules. I like being here, but I don't need to be here. I'm going to speak my mind and I usually get banned everywhere.

Tesseract

Banned
it's hard to tell what qualifies as insult under certain situations

some users value courage under fire, prefer to beat down and build back up wherever possible

it's just banter in most cases, there's no need to be upset

Tesseract

Banned
I mean, I just pointed to a person permanently banned for posting 4 letters. The only reason to ban anyone for that is to explicitly ban on political grounds. Also, every single poster who has ever read a politics thread on this site knows that people get dogpiled and insulted without action, contrary to the rules listed.

I even expressed empathy towards the mods if they want to openly take a stance against ANTIFA rhetoric. That's my personal position as well. But, my only claim here is that the rules listed do not reflect what the moderators do at all; only focusing on the politics forum. You can look at the ban list, or almost any of the politics threads.

And for the record, I'm totally fine if they want to ban me and continue on doing whatever they want without clear rules. I like being here, but I don't need to be here. I'm going to speak my mind and I usually get banned everywhere.
why are you so obsessed with rules and politicization

relax, put your best arguments forward and let the chips fall

there's plenty of moderate reasons to ban that slogan, go do a cursory google search and see what crops

Punished Miku

why are you so obsessed with rules and politicization

relax, put your best arguments forward and let the chips fall

there's plenty of moderate reasons to ban that slogan, go do a cursory google search and see what crops

Are we admitting that people get banned arbitrarily now, and/or based on politicization?

So, is your argument that this stuff is happening but it doesn't matter? Or are you arguing that no one gets banned for political reasons or reasons outside the listed rules?

I'm obsessed because that's the only way to ever know what moderators are doing. That's the only way to protect any semblance of fairness. If we want to be a right wing site, then I want it at least to be admitted and displayed, not constantly denied.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Are we admitting that people get banned arbitrarily now, and/or based on politicization?

So, is your argument that this stuff is happening but it doesn't matter? Or are you arguing that no one gets banned for political reasons or reasons outside the listed rules?
that's not what i meant at all ...

i'm out, good luck with whatever the fuck this is supposed to be

Punished Miku

Although brap brap has already answered this.

READ IT AGAIN

All your posts after that are pointless becuse you didnt read the ban post correctly.

I don't know what ANAB even means. I'm open to learning. What does it mean that results in a permanent ban?

I was refering to this post though.

For the record, I don't agree with either. My downtown area got spray painted with this shit and I hated it. That's not my personal politics, at all. My point is that nothing in the stated rules justifies this that I'm aware of.

And my point goes well beyond that; referencing constant and continual harassment of almost all liberal posters across the whole politics forum.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I mean, I just pointed to a person permanently banned for posting 4 letters. The only reason to ban anyone for that is to explicitly ban on political grounds.
Do you believe that it's completely impossible for there to be any other legitimate reason? A cursory glance at that person's posting history shows that it's mostly been in gaming and he's not one of those get to 50 posts ASAP and then start dumping hot takes in politics type of user. I'm not about to read every single post of his to see if there might have been a warning in the past though. That's something more suited for a moderator. This could have been a straw that broke the camel's back type of thing, it could have been a bad reaction to a joke, it could have been something behind the scenes, it could have been an unjust action, I have no idea. But it's premature, IMO, to get this worked up about it when there is so much other information not available to us yet.

Also, every single poster who has ever read a politics thread on this site knows that people get dogpiled and insulted without action, contrary to the rules listed.

When trying to make a specific claim, your evidence needs to be specific too, not just a generalization like "every single poster who has ever read a politics thread on this site knows that it's true". Post specifics, make a case, and then we can evaluate its merits.

Please don't talk like that. I most often see that type of language with people who are overreacting, and too many times it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. My advice: take a few breaths, table this train of thought for the night, get some sleep, and then come back when someone with more authority has chimed in with additional insight and actionable information.

I'm obsessed because that's the only way to ever know what moderators are doing. That's the only way to protect any semblance of fairness. If we want to be a right wing site, then I want it at least to be admitted and displayed, not constantly denied.
That's not what he's saying. This isn't a good state of mind for productive conversation. Come back to this topic tomorrow.

Punished Miku

Do you believe that it's completely impossible for there to be any other legitimate reason?

No, of course not. I don't know anything about it. I just know what's displayed, and what I see on the site.

This isn't a good state of mind for productive conversation. Come back to this topic tomorrow.

I guess you're right. But I honestly didn't say anything out of line at all. I totally meant what I said and I was just accepting consequences for it. I'd rather stick to my principles than watch a slow motion train wreck and pretend it's fair.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess you're right. But I honestly didn't say anything out of line at all. I totally meant what I said and I was just accepting consequences for it. I'd rather stick to my principles than watch a slow motion train wreck and pretend it's fair.
You didn't say anything out of line. You are right to speak your mind, as long as you are being respectful and follow the TOS guildelines. However, I just notice a trend that when people start using phrases like " this might get me banned, but. . . " that puts them into a state of mind that is unsuitable for productive discussion and actually does make it easier to get banned.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
I want the tag removed. That shit is not right.

I've read through the logs for this, and it was attributed to a post that was deleted, but still exists in the quote chain

Well, maybe you are a pedophile. Maybe you do like kids. I don't know.

The tag does have a note saying it's only temporary, and the purpose is to make you reflect on immediately making the massive jump to tossing out such accusations. Kind of a 'shoe on the other foot' situation. Having worn it proudly for a few days, I'll remove it now and ask that you consider this going forward, as originally requested. We need to get away from the scream and point 'pedophile' or 'witch' accusations. It's not Salem.

Anyway, I'm getting off my point. I just want to suggest that mods take it to heart that they shouldn't let this place become a mirror version of resetera. Be better than resetera. Let people from all views come together, and if you need to moderate political discussion, use it as a means to encourage respectful discussion. Don't stamp out people because they're not pro Trump, or republican.

Are there any bans in particular you are speaking about? Politics is pretty self contained now, most bannings come from people who tend to just drop rhetoric in every thread, then run away. The types that question, question, question but never offer answers or proper rebuttals. These posters are not here to have discussions and as such, the topic/forum suffers. Also, remember that these users will have had numerous warnings about this and will have been told what is wrong with the way they are posting (not the content). But this thread is open for reviews, so do you have a particular poster in mind?

I had thread making privileges revoked more than a month ago (still not sure why). Can anyone tell me if these privileges return or have I been maimed in perpetuity?

I can see they were removed for making multiple threads that were basically just facilitating fights, or deliberately framing the topic in a way that does not start good discussions. This isn't permanent, but will be lifted only when there is sufficient evidence that you are engaging in threads and discussions honestly. Basically the privilege will be earned back through better contributions/replies. At the moment, that level of trust just isn't there. We see no evidence why we wouldn't see the same type of threads being started if 'New thread' permissions were given back today.

What are the actual rules when moderating? I think you have to admit that there's political bias when moderating. Just looked at the list and a couple people posted "ACAB" and got banned permanently.

There is no bias. Just perceptions. In this case, the user account was flagged early as a particular 'type' of account that signs up, then get drawn to certain types of topics. They often post sporadically with short one liners in general threads to build up a post count and 'wait' for controversial topics to surface to come alive and post. Usually these are centred around identity politics, SJW topics, diversity topics etc. where their real reasons for being here become apparent. Where they just spout the mantra of the hour. If you want to discuss the finer points of policing, demographics like an adult, there are people in the thread doing just that. Swapping charts, statistics and challenging each other. None are running round dropping slogans that offer nothing. The ban message (presumably, as I wasn't about), is just a reference to the post that got them banned. You can see even yoboman is posting there, because they actually went beyond a couple of lines of rhetoric and engaged with the topic. If what you are suggesting is true, then other posters would also be banned. From this point forwards:

With regards to the ToS/User guide, you are correct, it is out of date and a refreshed one was started some time. It's kind of a living document at the moment that's being drafted in the secluded forums. But one of the problems of the online community in general, is that people trying to treat everything as literal legal documents to find 'loopholes' - like young teenagers basically (ah, but you didnt exactly say......). We're not going to provide an airtight set of documents the length of most EULAs because no one cares. I'd ask you what group you consider yourself to be in though? You have eight pages of posts in Politics alone, so reducing the query down to a specific focus or point of attack, which of these statements fits you, do you think?

You are a right leaning poster that posts in Politics that is not banned?
You are a left leaning poster that posts in Politics and is not banned?
You are a moderate leaning poster that posts in Politics and is not banned?

You have attempted to start discussions, but also posted like this - You have no warnings, current or expired, and though you like to position yourself directly against 'GAF' in most posts, you still post here and go against the grain in certain threads. You do so in posts like those below, and even denigrate AntiFa yourself. Yet, despite all this you contribute honestly and are genuinely open to having those discussions, which is why your account is clean/free of warnings and bans.

I think the more pertinent question you need to reflect on is 'is it ok to ally with people who just want to march and shout slogans, or with people like yourself who can articulate arguments, provide rebuttals and enrich debate?'. I think you do yourself a disservice by considering posters like these as the 'same' as you or 'on your side'. You are much better than them, and should hold them to higher standards if you consider their voices to be carrying the same messages.

Last edited:

notseqi

In which world do you think it's cool to post this shit? Not even an explanation, just a stupid comment that could just as easily not have been made:

Punished Miku

There is no bias. Just perceptions. In this case, the user account was flagged early as a particular 'type' of account that signs up, then get drawn to certain types of topics. They often post sporadically with short one liners in general threads to build up a post count and 'wait' for controversial topics to surface to come alive and post. Usually these are centred around identity politics, SJW topics, diversity topics etc. where their real reasons for being here become apparent. Where they just spout the mantra of the hour. If you want to discuss the finer points of policing, demographics like an adult, there are people in the thread doing just that. Swapping charts, statistics and challenging each other. None are running round dropping slogans that offer nothing. The ban message (presumably, as I wasn't about), is just a reference to the post that got them banned. You can see even yoboman is posting there, because they actually went beyond a couple of lines of rhetoric and engaged with the topic. If what you are suggesting is true, then other posters would also be banned. From this point forwards:

With regards to the ToS/User guide, you are correct, it is out of date and a refreshed one was started some time. It's kind of a living document at the moment that's being drafted in the secluded forums. But one of the problems of the online community in general, is that people trying to treat everything as literal legal documents to find 'loopholes' - like young teenagers basically (ah, but you didnt exactly say......). We're not going to provide an airtight set of documents the length of most EULAs because no one cares. I'd ask you what group you consider yourself to be in though? You have eight pages of posts in Politics alone, so reducing the query down to a specific focus or point of attack, which of these statements fits you, do you think?

You a right leaning poster that posts in Politics that is not banned?
You a left leaning poster that posts in Politics and is not banned?
You a moderate leaning poster that posts in Politics and is not banned?

You have attempted to start discussions, but also posted like this - You have no warnings, current or expired, and though you like to position yourself directly against 'GAF' in most posts, you still post here and go against the grain in certain threads. You do so in posts like those below, and even denigrate AntiFa yourself. Yet, despite all this you contribute honestly and are genuinely open to having those discussions, which is why your account is clean/free of warnings and bans.

I think the more pertinent question you need to reflect on is 'is it ok to ally with people who just want to march and shout slogans, or with people like yourself who can articulate arguments, provide rebuttals and enrich debate?'. I think you do yourself a disservice by considering posters like these as the 'same' as you or 'on your side'. You are much better than them, and should hold them to higher standards if you consider their voices to be carrying the same messages.

You clearly put some effort into this post, so I just want to make sure I address it with the proper respect. Thank you for taking it seriously and being nice. I do appreciate it.

I wasn't fishing for any kind of compliment, and actually expected to be banned. But yeah, it's almost impossible to be upset with someone saying complimentary things about you. So thanks, you seem nice.

However, I didn't really intend my complaints to be a referendum on myself. I get that the not-so-subtle message here is that maybe my rant is deserving of a referendum on myself. I guess I'll try and think on what you said for a while, and I may send you a PM tomorrow. Thanks.

-Arcadia-

Banned
1: Create disingenuous shitposts for months and months, derail, and insult without cause

2: After months and months, something is finally done

3: Cry that Gaf is a Republican/Playstation/Xbox safe space

4: Rage that people deservedly insulted you and your said stupid hot takes and shit stirring, and it's totally unfair

5: Waaaaah

1: Create disingenuous shitposts for months and months, derail, and insult without cause

2: After months and months, something is finally done

3: Cry that Gaf is a Republican/Playstation/Xbox safe space

4: Rage that people deservedly insulted you and your said stupid hot takes and shit stirring, and it's totally unfair

5: Waaaaah
This is a 5-step plan I can get behind.
Currently on step 3.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
There was a thread in Communities forum that had certain circus-performer connotations as part of its well-known title.
That title was changed due to the increasingly loaded nature of circus-performer connotations and NeoGAF's understandable need to adapt to a changing social landscape.
By happy accident it now seems that @hariseldon has become an unwitting inner-community meme.

Not a bad result. @hariseldon might feel differently about it though. 🤷‍♀️

I'll be honest - I'm not delighted about it. At some point someone's going to blame me for that shit and firebomb my house.

Winter John

I've read through the logs for this, and it was attributed to a post that was deleted, but still exists in the quote chain

The tag does have a note saying it's only temporary, and the purpose is to make you reflect on immediately making the massive jump to tossing out such accusations. Kind of a 'shoe on the other foot' situation. Having worn it proudly for a few days, I'll remove it now and ask that you consider this going forward, as originally requested. We need to get away from the scream and point 'pedophile' or 'witch' accusations. It's not Salem.

I was wrong, I admit it. I should've worded my post better and made my point clearer because the bottom line is I don't believe a company like Netflix would ever risk their profits endorsing pedophilia.

As for taking my tag, well that shit ain't right. You can't give a guy a tag then take it away. All I ask is it be an honest description like Resident Asshole.

nush

Gold Member
I was wrong, I admit it. I should've worded my post better and made my point clearer because the bottom line is I don't believe a company like Netflix would ever risk their profits endorsing pedophilia.

As for taking my tag, well that shit ain't right. You can't give a guy a tag then take it away. All I ask is it be an honest description like Resident Asshole.

The lord giveth and the lord taketh away. May you never get tagged again.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, for a change in the thread from the usual silly stuff, I really wanted to praise the recent habit of having zero tolerance towards the shit of long-time offenders.

My impression was that for a long time, it felt like bad actors would simply adjust their behavior to be just under the radar where they couldn't be gotten until their next spergout, while continuing it, and that's seemingly not being tolerated anymore, with these posts being actioned with a long, malevolent history in mind.

I'm not here to cheerlead bans (well, outside of funny ones), but I am here to read an insightful/fun gaming side, and that gets a lot harder when you have these kinds of people poisoning threads, as well as setting a tone for general discourse.

nush

Gold Member
Btw, for a change in the thread from the usual silly stuff, I really wanted to praise the recent habit of having zero tolerance towards the shit of long-time offenders.

My impression was that for a long time, it felt like bad actors would simply adjust their behavior to be just under the radar where they couldn't be gotten until their next spergout, while continuing it, and that's seemingly not being tolerated anymore, with these posts being actioned with a long, malevolent history in mind.

I'm not here to cheerlead bans (well, outside of funny ones), but I am here to read an insightful/fun gaming side, and that gets a lot harder when you have these kinds of people poisoning threads, as well as setting a tone for general discourse.

Agreed, moderation is good here. They are aware of all the methods people use on forums to skirt the rules.

Ban baiting
stopping just a millimeter from the line
lawyering around the rules, there's no actual specific rule that's been broken.
I didn't "Actually" say that.
Diplomatic immunity line in a big rant about something, just so they can point to that single line to avoid being called out.
Sleeper accounts, log in, start shit, run away.
Almost exclusively posting in specific topics with hot takes.

So on, and so forth...

Geki-D

Banned
In this case, the user account was flagged early as a particular 'type' of account that signs up, then get drawn to certain types of topics. They often post sporadically with short one liners in general threads to build up a post count and 'wait' for controversial topics to surface to come alive and post.
...Guy only had 121 posts. I just checked them. All of them, it's not a very hard thing to do.

So to resume:
-He said "ACAB" was insta-permed. This was prety much a drive-by post.
-Argued against "forced diversity" in a TLOU2 thread. None of those posts were one line drive-bys:
-Argued against in one "ugly female game characters". One of those posts could be considered a one line drive-bys:
The one that could be considered a one line drive-by:
-Gave very neutral opinion on "Jill No Longer Sexy":

That's 11 posts out of 121, never posted in Politics, btw. Odd for someone looking to drop their burning hot takes on the most "controversial topics". It's interesting that you say this guy was "flagged early". The earliest of these posts being the "Ugly female characters" stuff where I guess he did make one drive-by style post but then actually replied to people who were mainly attacking him with what I guess is totally acceptable as valid, deep open discussion here on GAF "Go BaCk To REEEE!!" (Odd that the people who kill all conversation and debate here with that amazing line aimed to instantly disregard all of a person's points & positions never get banned for *ahem* "running round dropping slogans that offer nothing", huh).

Now if you want to establish the rule that one line drive-by shit posts aren't allowed then fine... But now 90% of your regular good ol' boys just got banned because you know they do it and you know they do it in threads about "identity politics" and the like especially. In fact I've already brought up in the past directly to you in regards to how utter dogshit TLOU2 threads had become on these boards because of it. ...Oddly, though slogan filled, drive-by shit posts were far from your mind back then as a reason to be handing out bans...

Anyway, here's a fun little game to play whilst you think about that:

- Guess which of these actual full quotes from the gaming side of GAF will get you an instant perma-ban?:

This quote about a thread's topic:
ACAB, who fucking cares?
Or this direct reply to another member (therefore going against written site rules):
You brainwashed gender confused nonce leftists always use death threats though.
You leftists are the cancer.
(For those unaware "nonce" means "Not Of Normal Criminal Element" in the UK, it refers to paedophiles)

Now imagine how one being instantly cracked down on whilst the other being deemed a-okay by no mod action makes GAF & it's mods look in terms of how they treat people with left/progressive views against a fucking idiot like the person I took the second quote from. There are plenty of examples like this so please, stop with the "it's equal" nonsense. Obviously right wing, and honestly pretty fucking disgusting fringe alt-right views are clearly more tolerated and less moderated here.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
We.use this site for free. A gaming forum which has a minority in politics yet an active politics section. We demand the mods to update terms to state their "political bias" the site they are hired to moderate. We use THEIR site for free, then make demands... /repeat the part about this being a gaming forum/

So, if the mods are to cater to our demands, we likewise all have to state our political biases in our about section for profile. Guess that means I'm going to have to let everyone know that I'm endorsing Ralph Nadar for the next election. Hope I'm not too late! He's still in the race, right? 😵

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
there's a difference between attacking individual users and carpet bombing threads with retarded terrorist slogans
Exactly, and mods can tell the difference. That's why I'm not sure why they should update site policy rules to state their political leanings. Let's say they do...how will that change how they do their jobs? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom