• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's easier to hide behind an ideology, and think all your problems owe to bias against that, than own up and take responsibility for your behavior.

Something that many visitors to this thread sorely need to do. It's getting old.
Seems like we're just repeating rhetoric from the past 2-weeks. People keep coming in here to discuss "injustices" in the politics section and some have even tried the "don't start acting like the conservative version of the other place" argument.
It's getting old. The site ad infinitum is NeoGAF > Neo Gaming-Age Forums -- it's not and never had been: NeoPoli (Neo-Politics, Neo-Ot Neo-Off-Topic) or Neo-Communities.

Conservatives who get inflammatory get bans not unlike anyone who's liberal. As far as I can tell, EviLore EviLore cleaned-house (referencing post #1) in terms of the mods who were abusing their power. Pretty sure none of those mods or anyone similar exists. I don't look at the ban board and shout "injustice" if someone I thought was friendly gets banned for doing something against site regulations. You'll feel the same if I do something stupid and get banned, too. Don't pity me or hound the mods to un-ban me. Respect their decisions and move on. Soapy Wooder Soapy Wooder also pointed out last week that bans are a group decision. There isn't one mod who's secretly plotting against you to get you banned.

Anyway, here's a fun little game to play whilst you think about that:

- Guess which of these actual full quotes from the gaming side of GAF will get you an instant perma-ban?:

This quote about a thread's topic:

Or this direct reply to another member (therefore going against written site rules):

(For those unaware "nonce" means "Not Of Normal Criminal Element" in the UK, it refers to paedophiles)

Now imagine how one being instantly cracked down on whilst the other being deemed a-okay by no mod action makes GAF & it's mods look in terms of how they treat people with left/progressive views against a fucking idiot like the person I took the second quote from. There are plenty of examples like this so please, stop with the "it's equal" nonsense. Obviously right wing, and honestly pretty fucking disgusting fringe alt-right views are clearly more tolerated and less moderated here.
Guess which one was reported and which one wasn't...

And one was from the last 24 hours and one was from over 4 months ago.

If you are gonna complain about inaction from the moderators, at least make sure the post was reported to them.

How can you complain about a post being acceptable when you didn't report it?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seems like we're just repeating rhetoric from the past 2-weeks. People keep coming in here to discuss "injustices" in the politics section and some have even tried the "don't start acting like the conservative version of the other place" argument.
It's getting old. The site ad infinitum is NeoGAF > Neo Gaming-Age Forums -- it's not and never had been: NeoPoli (Neo-Politics, Neo-Ot Neo-Off-Topic) or Neo-Communities.

Conservatives who get inflammatory get bans not unlike anyone who's liberal. As far as I can tell, EviLore EviLore cleaned-house (referencing post #1) in terms of the mods who were abusing their power. Pretty sure none of those mods or anyone similar exists. I don't look at the ban board and shout "injustice" if someone I thought was friendly gets banned for doing something against site regulations. You'll feel the same if I do something stupid and get banned, too. Don't pity me or hound the mods to un-ban me. Respect their decisions and move on. Soapy Wooder Soapy Wooder also pointed out last week that bans are a group decision. There isn't one mod who's secretly plotting against you to get you banned.

Don't forget Gaf secretly scheming with PlayStation or Xbox.

It's all the same garbage rhetoric, repeated ad nauseum, to escape earned consequences.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sometimes I like to fantasize about Geki-D's very last day and disingenuous argument.

'AMAB! Fuck Neogaf!'

UtSWqA3.png

If this place is just right wing ResetEra then why was I told discussion of Nick Fuentes, a prominent right wing voice wasn't allowed? If you're on the left you only see things that hurt your argument and aren't paying attention to the fact that there are also no-go areas for people on the right wing. And I mean no-go areas that don't even have to go as far as full blown neo-naziism to be a problem. ACAB is demonstrably vile shit people who want to literally destroy the fabric of a nation parrot.

Sometimes I think these aren't real people. Like how dumb do you have to be to go into an Xbox thread with a PlayStation avatar and troll the thread and think you'll get away without a ban?

"Why was Jason banned? He dindu nuffin!"

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sometimes I think these aren't real people. Like how dumb do you have to be to go into an Xbox thread with a PlayStation avatar and troll the thread and think you'll get away without a ban?

"Why was Jason banned? He dindu nuffin!"

Gaming side dumb.

I've never seen a greater disparity between the quality and care put into a site, and the posters (in this case, gaming) not caring about what they've been given, and taking every measure possible to shit all over it.

Geki-D

Banned
Guess which one was reported and which one wasn't...

And one was from the last 24 hours and one was from over 4 months ago.

If you are gonna complain about inaction from the moderators, at least make sure the post was reported to them.

How can you complain about a post being acceptable when you didn't report it?
Are we really going to pretend that no mods saw that, or posts similar to it ever? You know, I've been posting here for some time and I've seen some pretty fucked up shit be posted with mods interacting in those same threads. Are you saying that we have to report like a crybaby because mods will actively see posts breaking the rules but won't do anything without a report? So, to be clear this, which was worth a perm too, was actually reported?

Sometimes I like to fantasize about Geki-D's very last day and disingenuous argument.

'AMAB! Fuck Neogaf!'

UtSWqA3.png
Try not to tear your skin as you jack off thinking about me. Don't worry, I still remember that you openly want people with progressive views banned. In that regard it's quite telling that you're ok with the way moderation is right now. It's got the authoritarian mark of approval.

In fact a lot of the people who post in this thread, you know, rubbing the mods shoulders, telling them how great a job they're doing, also tend to be people who sure do post a lot in Politics and you'll always see appear in any gaming thread relating to a social issue, like LGBT or women in games or minorities. And guess what side they're always on! Sure makes you wonder why such people would have a very specific interest in the moderation staying just as it is... Humm, really makes you wonder, you know... 🤔

Last edited:

notseqi

In fact a lot of the people who post in this thread, you know, rubbing the mods shoulders, telling them how great a job they're doing, also tend to be people who sure do post a lot in Politics and you'll always see appear in any gaming thread relating to a social issue, like LGBT or women in games or minorities. And guess what side they're always on! Sure makes you wonder why such people would have a very specific interest in the moderation staying just as it is... Humm, really makes you wonder, you know... 🤔
If that is true, they are at least polite. I can disagree with you without taking your tone, ye know.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Don't worry, I still remember that you openly want people with progressive views banned. In that regard it's quite telling that you're ok with the way moderation is right now.

Yep. I do however want Classical liberals, Moderates, and Independents here. Just not you. Much as I don't want the alt-right regularly stuffing their content in my face.

Come back to sanity, and learn how to conduct yourselves in public, and we can talk.

That skew you're seeing in bans? It's because the lot of you have forgotten how to be civilized people, a point we can see reinforced by switching on our TV's and seeing the latest firebombings, takeovers, and mass acts of destruction and violence.

Vawn

Banned
I'm really not trying to start trouble, but I honestly do not understand the criteria that people are getting banned for lately. I assume this thread still exists as a safe place to discuss these concerns?

This guy got a permanent ban over this comment:

Both consoles will be able to do limited Ray Tracing at best on AAA games, especially open world without cut backs in resolution, framerate, and all sorts of other graphical effects. It's just too demanding. People should temper their expectations. However, i do expect the more powerful console to be more ray tracing capable as is expected.

What exactly was ban-worthy over the comment? Are we not allowed to even debate the pros and cons of these different consoles? Is that not a big part of forums that exist to discuss video games.

There is no personal attack. No lies.

I am seeing this more and more lately. If mentioned it is said that it's "other posts", but that’s not very reassuring as the post that was linked as the reason for the ban is the above one. I've seen many other bans lately for very similar posts.

It wasn't like this since the "new NeoGAF" started and the overly sensitive mods left for the other site.

Meanwhile, posts like this are left to slide:

I made a post about a week ago about selling my switch and being kinda sad about it citing a possible change in taste. Given a week to digest the decision the sentimentality is fading and the real emotion is peeking through lol. A person on here just made a post about how bad they wanted a New super mario wii u port for the switch and it aggravated me enough to say this : Oh wow another mario game. Fuck nintendo. Make a fucking star fox or earthbound or a fucking 2d metroid or 3d donkey kong or ouu idk crazy idea maybe a new fucking ip that isnt geared toward casuals?! Maybe an open world mmo pokemon game ?! Tone deaf company that all you bad taste having fanboys always reward for doing the same shit consistently and try to perpetuate the narrative that theyre the most innovative. Ouu theyre so innovative they made wii sports and wii fit for peoples moms and their mom’s moms and it hit the mass market appeal bro how cool is that ? Quality of life bro. Oh im so hyped for nintendos finger sensor too bad they scrapped it. Fuck the new nintendo. Blue ocean freaks. Shameless money grubbing lazy incompetents. Fire emblem is the only franchise they have worth playing nowadays. Oh nintendo please give us a nice shiny new port of a fucking wii u game that ive already played. God im sick of you current nintendo people. The real nintendo fans are pissed! Pathetic nintendo slaves ! So hey hows everyones day going ? 😄. This is how i really feel and it was nice to express it. Thanks gaf 🥰

Last edited:
Are we really going to pretend that no mods saw that, or posts similar to it ever? You know, I've been posting here for some time and I've seen some pretty fucked up shit be posted with mods interacting in those same threads. Are you saying that we have to report like a crybaby because mods will actively see posts breaking the rules but won't do anything without a report? So, to be clear this, which was worth a perm too, was actually reported?

Try not to tear your skin as you jack off thinking about me. Don't worry, I still remember that you openly want people with progressive views banned. In that regard it's quite telling that you're ok with the way moderation is right now. It's got the authoritarian mark of approval.

I legit got told by someone that I need to re-think my political alignment because of my views on TLOU II. I'm right wing to a point that I can't post all my right wing feelings on here because I go far enough in that direction I could get a ban but when it comes to my entertainment? Be SJW all you want, so long as you're GOOD. The direction this country goes in as a nation is so much more important to me than whether or not a woman kicks a man's ass in a video game, like it's such nonsense to me. I considered you an ally in the TLOU II threads but based on posts like this we must be so far apart politically all the same. That said, I have friends who are LITERAL communists, one of my best friends used to post here under the name DeadScreenSky, he no longer does because of how right wing this place has become, I still talk to him, though and we have some vigorous political debates at times. You, for instance, are not a banned member of the forum and I like you being here, like Bill O Rights was saying to another poster you are falling on your sword for people who don't post as well as you do. Is the moderation more keen on right wing than left wing posters? YEP, you can be way more of a shitposter on the right wing, but that's just part of the site identity, posters like yourself do fine here, don't you? If the scales tipped in the other direction and someone who puts thoughts into their post like me (not to pat myself on the back) got to stay but shitposters who I've had fun reading their drive-bys got banned on my side would I be crying in this thread? Eh, not really, different forums have different identities and I think the goal for threads like this is pointing out where a ban doesn't fit that identity, it's not about some absolute reading of the set rules like the rules for the forum are the constitution or something (something even the Supreme Court fails to uphold regularly, nevermind mods upholding the strict interpretation of their own rules).

TL;DR you're a good dude, you might want to calm down on this.

I'm really not trying to start trouble, but I honestly do not understand the criteria that people are getting banned for lately. I assume this thread still exists as a safe place to discuss these concerns?

This guy got a permanent ban over this comment:

What exactly was ban-worthy over the comment? Are we not allowed to even debate the pros and cons of these different consoles? Is that not a big part of forums that exist to discuss video games.

There is no personal attack. No lies.

I am seeing this more and more lately. If mentioned it is said that it's "other posts", but that’s not very reassuring as the post that was linked as the reason for the ban is the above one. I've seen many other bans lately for very similar posts.

It wasn't like this since the "new NeoGAF" started and the overly sensitive mods left for the other site.

Meanwhile, posts like this are left to slide:

Didn't expect to see you come back here and defend Eastwood, and attack someone hating Nintendo, really good strides towards showcasing you aren't just some shill for Sony. I fully expected you to come back and fight for yourself but seeing you fight for someone else and someone who can be viewed as 'the opposition" is very cool. You were either always like this or you've actually grown, either way I appreciate seeing this from you. I will say, though, that when people talk about posts that have been allowed to slide by moderators my question will always be did YOU report it? It's important to know if anyone reported a specific post. Though I'm sure the mods actively peruse the forum it's incredibly busy and full of people and posts. Also most bans require some history with the poster, so for all we know a warning was assigned to a post like that but you wouldn't be told about such a warning, even a ban from the thread wouldn't be something you were made aware of.

The post wasn't reported by anyone, including you. I don't need to pretend jack shit. Are you under the impression that we read every post written or something? We are people, not robots. Who has time to do all that. Hit the report button if you feel a post doesn't belong.

If the site isn't up to your standards, find one that is. But hitting the report button doesn't make you a cry baby. Can't say the same thing for how you are acting tho.

Geki-D

Banned
Until now you had thoughtful arguments, actually backed up by receipts, but this isn't a fair characterization and crosses the line.
As opposed to thoughtful arguments such as...

'AMAB! Fuck Neogaf!'

UtSWqA3.png
Quid pro quo.

The post wasn't reported by anyone, including you. I don't need to pretend jack shit. Are you under the impression that we read every post written or something? We are people, not robots. Who has time to do all that. Hit the report button if you feel a post doesn't belong.

If the site isn't up to your standards, find one that is. But hitting the report button doesn't make you a cry baby. Can't say the same thing for how you are acting tho.
Very well, I'll report more and see what happens. I'm guessing nothing but hey.

That's all he's ever had since Day 1.
Push him to expound on his views a little, and the veneer drops altogether. Hence the tag.
Amazing, coming from you of all people.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Maybe he's referring to your only ban on here. You know the one, but I think he missed the point of it.

He doesn't know. He goes to this boilerplate 'you hate ______' argument for everyone he encounters on here, which is very literally what got him the tag.

If he did though, he would certainly intentionally take it at face value and not see what was trying to be said about free expression and giving words too much power.

Last edited:
Very well, I'll report more and see what happens.
Don't you think it would have made sense for you to utilize the report button for the posts you have an issue with before implying the mods weren't doing enough?

I'm guessing nothing but hey.
Not with that attitude. Yes, they don't action every report but that's no reason for you to give up. None of these features were implemented for users to not use them.

Last edited:
Don't you think it would have made sense for you to utilize the report button for the posts you have an issue with before implying the mods weren't doing enough?

Not with that attitude. Yes, they don't action every report but that's no reason for you to give up. None of these features were implemented for users to not use them.
Good point. If you find a user you don't like and instead of endlessly going to war, put them on ignore.

If you find threads you don't like and instead of posting in them with "OMG another one of theses"... ignore the thread.

Geki-D

Banned
It's just silly to me because I've been in threads full of egregious, blatant shit in the past mods have interacted with and it's apparent they know it's happening. But if it's written in stone that no report means that mods are just blind to it all then I guess that's the way.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Good point. If you find a user you don't like and instead of endlessly going to war, put them on ignore.

If you find threads you don't like and instead of posting in them with "OMG another one of theses"... ignore the thread.

Good advice, but this type doesn't ignore. They crybully until it's changed to their preference.

Which is what's going on here.

Waaaaaah. Why can't I act like an uncivilized animal, throwing insults, character defamations, and derailing everywhere?

Waaaaaah. Why can people say things I don't like?

Waaaaaah. Why can't I present people's arguments out of context to score good boy points on Reset?

Waaaaaah. Why am I allowed to be banned?

Waaaaaah. Why am I responsible for my behavior?

It's just silly to me because I've been in threads full of egregious, blatant shit in the past mods have interacted with and it's apparent they know it's happening. But if it's written in stone that no report means that mods are just blind to it all then I guess that's the way.
It is silly to me that instead of reporting what you think is egregious, blatant shit, you archive it for "evidence" of the bias in future conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom