• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

rs7k

What? This is the first headline on 1up? Are you ****ing joking me? :lol :lol

I don't understand the hate for Jeff Bell at all. Big deal, he's enthusiastic about his job.

Razoric

Banned
bishoptl said:
Wait a second. I thought 1UP was in Microsoft's pocket! Or is that no longer the case?

Nah it's still the case, this is just a fluff piece. MS and Ziff Davis execs will probably laugh about this over martinis tonight.

This is pathetic. It's not like Jeff Bell did anything completely outlandish. The fact that 1UP contacted Microsoft to bust Bell over a stupid NeoGAF PM, possibly jeopardizing his career is ****ing stupid.

Eric WK said:
Clearly. That doesn't change the fact that prior to having confirmation, we could all tell it was him based on minimal investigation. If he didn't want anyone to know it was him, his display name shouldn't be "bell801."

I'm not saying it was right for a mod to verify his identity. I'm just saying Jeff Bell is the person responsible for this. If his login wasn't so conspicuous this thread would have never existed.

Would've been more embarassing if he called himsef slutbanger801

besada

Banned
Eric WK said:
I'm not saying it was right for a mod to verify his identity. I'm just saying Jeff Bell is the person responsible for this. If his login wasn't so conspicuous this thread would have never existed.

No disagreement that Bell did a very stupid thing, and it's going to bite him in the ass. It's the behavior of the mod that concerns me, and 1up's behavior to a lesser extent, because I don't hold them to much in the way of standards in the first place.

rs7k said:
I don't understand the hate for Jeff Bell at all. Big deal, he's enthusiastic about his job.

(neutral) rs7k
not that smart
(Today, 05:01 PM)

This is pathetic. It's not like Jeff Bell did anything completely outlandish. The fact that 1UP contacted Microsoft to bust Bell over a stupid NeoGAF PM, possibly jeopardizing his career is ****ing stupid.

o noes! i hope it doesn't jeopardize his career!!

wow he sparked a 15 page thread with a ? and one cryptic comment. the new term for derailing should be called ringing the bell or something because i have never seen it done so masterfully

Also 1up continues to prove that they are indeed the Fox news of gaming journalism.

Grecco

Propagandhim said:

If what he did was not outlandish then his career shouldnt be in jeapordy right?

Phthisis

For all of you who bitch about the state of gaming journalism today, the 1UP story is probably the poorest piece of "journalism" I've seen around the industry in quite some time. All it is tasteless, senseless drivel that has no bearing on anything important.

How about we go out there and do some actual reporting on some issues that matter, instead of F5ing NeoGAF all day to come up with your stories, eh 1UP?

fernoca

People need to remember that someone on 'his position' (Bell) shouldn't be sending private messages like that to an "anonimous forum poster".

Imagine if David Jaffe or Ted Price started sending private messages every time they are called out or ridiculed on this forum, heck all they do is laugh at the situation or clarify it just in case.

It is well known that many game developers read and post in this forum...
Imagine if Aonuma started sending PMs saying "and what games have you done recently? Oh right..NONE"..to anyone that hated Twilight Princess... :lol

Depsite the fact that Jeff Bell made a significant contribution to the plate-of-suck that was the MS press conference, I do wholeheartedly applaud him, or anybody else in his position, for sharing his true feelings on this message board or any other. Good for him.

The disappointing thing for me is the "tattle-tale" tenor of the 1UP article. Also, bad-call mentioning the Gaf moderator, etc. That article really left a bad taste...

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
yeah..
I think that 1UP pretty much fcuked this up now. I mean.. wtf do you have to contact MS and verify shit´n stuff...

It was good while it lasted...

Aisenherz

Banned
Haunted One said:
SCEEgypt's alternate account.
4bf4pr4.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Phthisis said:
For all of you who bitch about the state of gaming journalism today, the 1UP story is probably the poorest piece of "journalism" I've seen around the industry in quite some time. All it is tasteless, senseless drivel that has no bearing on anything important.

How about we go out there and do some actual reporting on some issues that matter, instead of F5ing NeoGAF all day to come up with your stories, eh 1UP?

At the end of the day though...this is more fun.

vitaflo

Propagandhim said:

Jeff could have stopped it by not PMing Master Ninja. Or at least not have been a dick about it.

Propagandhim said:

Oh please. Tonight Ballmer and Jeff Bell go split an eight ball and a hooker and have a good laugh about it. No one is going to fire him for calling out master ninja. Yeah, they may fire him for SceneIt, bu not for calling out people on GAF

jgkspsx said:
Boy, the first post was funny, and the "801" confirmation on the first page was hilarious, but, uh... is it normal practice for mods to confirm account identities to anyone who asks? Or just industry insiders? 'Cause that seems like a good way to kill industry members' desire to lurk or post here (not to mention rather unethical). Just sayin'.

And that 1up article was really crass. Yuck.
Not when the people can handle themselves and not ask about your contributions to society.

Good job Patrick! :D

Shit's been hitting the fan here ever since E3! :lol

Geoff9920

fernoca said:
People need to remember that someone on 'his position' (Bell) shouldn't be sending private messages like that to an "anonimous forum poster".

Imagine if David Jaffe or Ted Price started sending private messages every time they are called out or ridiculed on this forum, heck all they do is laugh at the situation or clarify it just in case.

It is well known that many game developers read and post in this forum...
Imagine if Aonuma started sending PMs saying "and what games have you done recently? Oh right..NONE"..to anyone that hated Twilight Princess... :lol
Dude, Jaffe would just come out and say it, he wouldn't resort to PM's. :lol

Good god some of you need to lighten up. :lol

Are your own bosses such pigheaded idiots that they would fire you for free publicity that sweeps across the internet like ****ing napalm? Give me a break.

Dali

Hollywood_mIRC said:
Thread summary for those who are wondering:

- Post of ownage in PM, re: first post

- People post he uses 801 in his gamer tag, meaning it might be him

- A mod confirms its him

- Sonycowboy says a mod would NEVER confirm if its him, directly after its confirmed, laughs commence

- More laughs on new tag for thread starter

- MSoft dude shown to be online currently on member list

- 1UP, lacking any real news, wonders over here - copies post as news on their site

Now, current

Thanks a bunch. I wish every mega-thread had posters like you.

I can't believe 1up picked this up. This is funny stuff and Bell deserved to be ridiculed, but it definitely isn't news to anyone but the people involved. I'll have to go to 1up now to see how they sensationalized this in the headline to get people to care enough to follow the link.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
crazyscreenwriter said:
Would've been more embarassing if he called himsef slutbanger801
I think "bigdaddy801" is pretty ridiculous, no matter what the intended connotations are.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Razoric said:
Nah it's still the case, this is just a fluff piece. MS and Ziff Davis execs will probably laugh about this over martinis tonight.
Shaken or stirred:D

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

You don't think they would've heard about this anyway? This is NeoGAF, dude. Many, many industry types post or lurk here, and even if they didn't, this'd be all over the place anyway.

As far as people criticizing 1UP goes; this is a man-bites-dog story. It's definitely of interest to the community, as this thread will prove.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
:lol :lol Holy crap i step outside for like an hour and this thread becomes news on 1up....classic.

fernoca

Geoff9920 said:
Dude, Jaffe would just come out and say it, he wouldn't resort to PM's. :lol
I know.. :lol
But the thing is that..still, he doesn't.
He laughs..write many ****** and ****** and moves on... :D

Propagandhim said:
I don't think you understand the Internet, because if he lost his job over this it'd be extra hilarious. And he won't lose his job over this. But what's funny about this isn't that he did something particularly outlandish but that he managed to sound like a total thin-skinned nerd with no idea how to flame somebody.

RogueHobbit

Neo Member
Phthisis said:

I disagree.

This is a legitimate news story from 1up's point of view. Can't fault them for that. Covering the gaming industry is more than just writing previews and reviews.

Now, you may get pissed for selfish reasons (i.e. you think this ruins the chance of Bell posting in this thread), but that is another matter.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Phthisis said:

you must not watch much of the network news then. This really isn't any lower than the 24/7 coverage stupid shit like the Anna Nicole Smith story or Paris Hilton's incarceration. "Journalism" is dead in general.

Phthisis

Ghost said:
At the end of the day though...this is more fun.

That's great for those of you sitting at home with nothing to do and need some entertainment. Some of us would like to see come credibility and legitimacy in a potential future profession.

Now, you may get pissed for selfish reasons (i.e. you think this ruins the chance of Bell posting in this thread), but that is another matter.

I'm not pissed, just dissapointed that this is the featured content of the day. How about an interesting profile on a developer? How about a feature on game music composers? How about an article exploring thematic elements and how they've developed over the course of the gaming industry's evolution?

No, instead of interesting reading, we get tabloid "reporting" on what some MS exec said on a message board.

Top Bottom