• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

Eric WK

eXxy said:
Still, I won't apologize for it -- I still think it's incredibly bad form on Microsoft's part and reflects badly on their community focus.

Are you ****ing kidding, Patrick? Are you honestly taking this thing that seriously?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Phthisis said:
Well if they'd start hiring real journalists rather than gamers (not calling anybody out or referring to anybody specifically), maybe he would.

I didn't go to school for four years and get a degree in journalism so I could be turned down by companies who would rather hire paparazzi to report on what Jeff Bell is doing on the internet.

What I wouldn't give to take over for an IGN or 1UP editor for just 2 weeks. I would turn that shit around so fast with quality stories that are both interesting and important, your heads would spin.

You know its pretty easy to say that from our living room couch.

eXxy said:
I still think it's incredibly bad form on Microsoft's part and reflects badly on their community focus.

And again I say WOW. It was quite clearly a ****ing joke dude, I'm sure A Master Ninja wasn't offended in the slightest by it.

Ceb

The sycophantic slags all say
I knew him first, and I knew him well

But to be a little more on-topic, apparently Jeff "Brah" Bell is GAF's new "lady in red".

FrankT

Eric WK said:
Are you ****ing kidding, Patrick? Are you honestly taking this thing that seriously?

Of course not, he likes to produce recycled news. :lol

Anyhow, I say we give the man an honorary membership and let him produce his own thread in response, heck it maybe as legendary as this one.

eXxy said:
Outside of the fact that you guys have suddenly lost your sense of humor, this is a perfectly legitimate news story. A high ranking Microsoft executive it spending his time bizarrely responding to message board posts heckling his performance -- for all the focus Microsoft puts on its community, this is how their upper level employees embrace it? Sorry I spoiled the GAF secret -- as if everyone wasn't already linking here to begin with!
I totally agree man.

We didn't see Peter Moore come on here when he made his "Ya know things break comment"

Or Kaz for "Ridddddddddddddddge Raccccccccccer!!!!"

Bell deserves this!

silentQ

LOL this is priceless. Why do these execs do this to themselves. Guess that little contribution comment will be the joke of the week.

Good Thread!

RPS37

It's going to take me about an hour to read this entire thread, but I'm going to do it and it's going to be worth it.

Tobor

Phthisis said:
Well if they'd start hiring real journalists rather than gamers (not calling anybody out or referring to anybody specifically), maybe he would.

I didn't go to school for four years and get a degree in journalism so I could be turned down by companies who would rather hire paparazzi to report on what Jeff Bell is doing on the internet.

What I wouldn't give to take over for an IGN or 1UP editor for just 2 weeks. I would turn that shit around so fast with quality stories that are both interesting and important, your heads would spin.

You don't need to work for IGN or 1up to accomplish that. Start your own blog or something. If you're as good as you say, it will get bought up or you will start getting job offers.

Put your money where your mouth is.

fernoca said:
And what have you done outside? ...??
:lol I said sugoi!

Tobor said:
You don't need to work for IGN or 1up to accomplish that. Start your own blog or something. If you're as good as you say, it will get bought up or you will start getting job offers.

You have got to be kidding?

Even though I do think it's kind of a bad idea for someone high up in a major company like Microsoft to come on an internet forum just to respond to joke heckling, it's not news. It's barely even worth mentioning outside Gaf.

WasabiKing said:
And this is a good thing. We've known that he's read NeoGAF for at least 3 years. Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy. Of course, this all goes to shit when someone on the admin staff reveals an identity of a user, which seems to be the case here. I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of the staff here.

Interesting. Seems like two minds going on here...

There's nothing in NeoGaf privacy policy specifically prevents a staff member from outing a member's real identity (other than they reserve the right to reveal a member's name in case of legal action), but certainly does seem like doing what "WHoever" did with 1up certainly does violate the spirit of NeoGaf's privacy policy. Thought should probably be given to modifying that privacy policy to explicitly state they won't reveal someone's identity unless there is a legal reason to do so.

It is bad policy for a noted website just to be spilling the beans on whoever "famous" contributor / poster they have signed up. Of course its also bad policy for a market vice president to be just randomly calling out posters in PMs as well.

I still find it funny but there are some serious issues here.

Phthisis said:
Yeah, but average gamers need their news dumbed down... they would leave your site in droves!

:lol

thekad

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Ugh this is getting retarded.

This is why we can't have people in the industry speak their minds.

Jaffe and Dyack speak their minds all the time on GAF. Oh and bishop does too :lol

Psychotext said:
Yeah, but average gamers need their news dumbed down... they would leave your site in droves!

X07 cancelled=Microsoft d00m3d.

thekad said:
Jaffe and Dyack speak their minds all the time on GAF.
That's different though. And Jaffe had to shut up after a while to because of that, people are really fragile for some reason. The littlest thing and *KABOOM!*

SantaC

fistfulofmetal said:
Even though I do think it's kind of a bad idea for someone high up in a major company like Microsoft to come on an internet forum just to respond to joke heckling, it's not news. It's barely even worth mentioning outside Gaf.

maybe video game community news, but as you said; outside of that, no.

I3rand0

I hope Jim doesn't get punished for this. He always posts the PSN PR every week (if Sony releases them) and always makes great threads in general.

JoeMartin

Why has this suddenly become a huge journalistic integrity issue? Christ don't feel obliged to defend it Patrick. Ignore the bitching stiffs that take something as downright hilarious as this so seriously.

thekad said:
Jaffe and Dyack speak their minds all the time on GAF.

Exactly. And they don't get ****ing negative news articles about it or calls to their employer questioning the 'ethics' of it either.

I'm sorry but what eXxy did was just ridiculous.

Tobor

Micromegas said:
Patrick, if 1UP doesn't work out for you, you'd be right at home at ******* based on this story.

(sorry, that was low.)

Wow, that was really low. Nobody deserves that.

thekad

Banned
Micromegas said:
Patrick, if 1UP doesn't work out for you, you'd be right at home at ******* based on this story.

(sorry, that was low.)

Have you ever laughed...smiled?

KachoMakura said:
Exactly. And they don't get ****ing negative news articles about it or calls to their employer questioning the 'ethics' of it either.

I'm sorry but what eXxy did was just ridiculous.

Oh no, now the whole world will know!

You're the one being ridiculous.

LakeEarth

One way to figure out Peter Moore's tag is to find out which GAFfer was missing during each E3 while GAF is usually overflowing.

I3rand0 said:
I hope Jim doesn't get punished for this. He always posts the PSN PR every week (if Sony releases them) and always makes great threads in general.
That's the thing.

Nobody wants Jim or Jeff to get in heat over this or lose their position(highly doubtful in either case) it's just the people blowing this out of proportion and trying to cause a fuss with it.

thekad said:
Have you ever laughed...smiled?

Man guys CALM down. Express yourselves carefully, don't get banned over this!

SantaC

Shahadan said:
Omg it is totally out of control. NeoGAF rules the internet confirmed

NeoGaf might be the most powerful messageboard on the internet though. No kidding...

Nobody wants Jim or Jeff to get in heat over this or lose their position

Jim? What did he do...

Phthisis

DarienA said:
You know its pretty easy to say that from our living room couch.

A couch-sitting I've rightfully earned after covering E3 for three straight days, by myself, FOR FREE, without a break.

Don't insinuate that I'm a lazy mouth-off. I've done more volunteer work in the past couple years to hopefully get me to a job that I enjoy doing than you know.

I hear you, and it's what I've been doing. I'm not complaining so much as expressing my dissatisfaction at the "reporting" going on here when I know (and that may sound cocky, but whatever) I could do better.

Anyway, that's enough from me.

LakeEarth said:
One way to figure out Peter Moore's tag is to find out which GAFfer was missing during each E3 while GAF is usually overflowing.

You'd find ALOT of GAFers missing that way..... we cant start a holocaust, u know :p

SantaC said:
NeoGaf might be the most powerful messageboard on the internet though. No kidding...

QFT. I love GAF's unity. We all act together even though some of us don't agree on certain things cause thats called opinion, but yes, GAF is currently my fav. messageboard...

The rest can suck my balls :p

It's funny to see the people claiming that exxy is "taking it too seriously" going absolutely ballistic, hurling personal insults, etc. I think you guys might be the ones getting a little too riled up :p

I don't see why this wouldn't be worth considering news. Big news? No. But worth writing up? Sure.

and :lol @ the first 15 or so pages of the thread, of course

eXxy said:
A high ranking Microsoft executive it spending his time bizarrely responding to message board posts heckling his performance -- for all the focus Microsoft puts on its community, this is how their upper level employees embrace it?

Seems to be in line with the standard behavior of at least this community. And let's be fair here, this supposedly bizarre behavior is roughly on par with a major gaming news site giving the "story" top billing.

Top Bottom