• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokémon League | There are 18 badges in GAF; Gary Oak has 20

Nbz

You gonna be around tonight 6pm-ish PST? I should be good then. It'd be pretty sick to see how myself and my dragons fair against a veteran. Lemme know.

Yeah I should be around to battle at that time (Midnight GMT right?)

EDIT: Actually I think it is 1am my time, so that may not be possible. Free tomorrow though.

Axass

Wow, this is great, I'd really like to participate.
Too bad I started FireRed and HeartGold like two weeks ago, maybe in a few years...

PBalfredo

It'd be cool if we could somehow judge skill beforehand, like if we took it easier on some of the inexperienced players like Brock did in Origins. Make it more friendly but keep the cutthroat levels for people who want it.
Maybe form a handicap division for new players to try thier luck. Players can challenge gym leaders to handicap battles for junior badges.

Koren

That's... a wonderful idea.

I'd like to be able to enter, but unfortunately, I'm lacking time to make a competitive build, especially the breeding part. Besides, I'm just in the White post-game (TPP pushed me to try gen 5), and I have Black 2 to do at least before even starting X/Y.

I hope the idea is here to stay for a long time, GAF Gyms is, again, a wonderful idea.

Wichu

Just lost to Nbz in two close games - congrats :)

If you saved the Battle Video(s) and want me to add them, let me know (I recently started a new game and haven't gotten the Vs. Recorder yet).

Nbz

Just lost to Nbz in two close games - congrats :)

If you saved the Battle Video(s) and want me to add them, let me know (I recently started a new game and haven't gotten the Vs. Recorder yet).

I saved them both yeah!
Here are the codes:
K36W-WWWW-WWW6-7UZP
7V9W-WWWW-WWW6-7UP6

Boogiepop

Maybe form a handicap division for new players to try thier luck. Players can challenge gym leaders to handicap battles for junior badges.

Honestly I could cripple myself pretty easily by just throwing away my potential for synergy. I was thinking if I find the time I could just make enough extra fossil pokemon to have a fossil team for handicapped battles.

Also, I feel lonely. No challengers yet!

spiritfox

Ah I want to battle, but I'm so busy for the next 2 weeks. Anyone wants to take over my gym? I'll come back and challenge for my badge when I'm free again :p

Just had my first gym battle. Have to admit I was a little worried. GG PBalfredo!

0-2, Gym Leader wins.

KL6W-WWWW-WWW6-7V3J

42QW-WWWW-WWW6-7V4W

PBalfredo

Ah, you beat me in posting the videos.

GG. I focused a bit too much in trying to set up Stealth Rocks. In the second battle it just let you set up your own Shell Smash and it was over after that. Even if I tried to come out strong with Metagross and Charizard/Gastrodon, that Weavile's Fake Out probably would have foiled me still...

Nbz

Beat MicH 2-0 :D

First game had me on the backfoot super early and I was sure I wasn't gonna come back into it, but man I somehow managed it. Crazy.

Anyway, 2 badges under my belt, think I'll call it a night :)

MicH

Beat MicH 2-0 :D

First game had me on the backfoot super early and I was sure I wasn't gonna come back into it, but man I somehow managed it. Crazy.

Anyway, 2 badges under my belt, think I'll call it a night :)
I can confirm this. Fun battles. I fared far better in the first one, and got absolutely destroyed in the second one as you had learnt to predict my moves :p Fun battles

Nbz

I can confirm this. Fun battles. I fared far better in the first one, and got absolutely destroyed in the second one as you had learnt to predict my moves :p Fun battles

Yeah knowing your sets really helped me gain an advantage and not get destroyed early game haha

Ah, you beat me in posting the videos.

GG. I focused a bit too much in trying to set up Stealth Rocks. In the second battle it just let you set up your own Shell Smash and it was over after that. Even if I tried to come out strong with Metagross and Charizard/Gastrodon, that Weavile's Fake Out probably would have foiled me still...

Yeah I find that rocks are far more important in singles.

This needs to attract the mainstream audience but I think somehow it becomes too daunting for them to try. Time commitment be damned.
We should consider making a "Pokemon Pool". While breeding is the easiest part of getting into competitive play, it's also extremely boring and time-consuming and puts people off. I know most of us have stuff we can just poop out 5Vs of. I think if we all contributed a few hours of our time to that then it would go a long ways.

Consolidating everything would be the annoying part. Doable, though. While they would still have to EV train and level up the mons that is pretty straight forward this gen, especially if we spread the PokeRUS on our babies first.

MicH

Well, I am at least giving away my Flying rejects to those who beat me (I actually forgot to offer Nbz one, oops), and I think some other leaders are as well. I'll probably offer them to everyone though, even if they lose.

Wichu

I and Aggrotek lost to UltimateIke and backlot in a Multi Battle. Well played, guys :)

On the topic of Multi Battles, I'd like to point out that the rule for challenging Gym Leaders to Multi Battles has changed slightly. Now, you only challenge one Gym Leader, who picks his or her partner from the remaining Gym Leaders.

We felt the previous rule was unbalanced in favour of the challengers; for example, if the challengers chose the Ice- and Bug-type Gyms, they would guarantee weaknesses to Rock and Fire and hence win easily by spamming those types of moves; since the challengers win both badges, this rule allowed challengers to acquire badges too easily.

The new rule still makes it worth playing Multi Battles, but evens the playing field a little for the Gym Leaders.

I and Aggrotek lost to UltimateIke and backlot in a Multi Battle. Well played, guys :)

Thanks! It was cool to see you guys working together.

We felt the previous rule was unbalanced in favour of the challengers; for example, if the challengers chose the Ice- and Bug-type Gyms...

I guess Church RvB and JulianImp already know about this, so we'll drop that challenge. >_>

Wichu

Well my "streak" continues. GG Wichu.

Battle 1: DYTG-WWWW-WWW6-8W64

Battle 2: VN3G-WWWW-WWW6-8W6E

Sorry about that - I think I only won the second game thanks to never hurting myself in confusion. Looking forward to our rematch in the future; your team seems pretty fun!

PBalfredo

Sorry about that - I think I only won the second game thanks to never hurting myself in confusion. Looking forward to our rematch in the future; your team seems pretty fun!

No worries. I was surprised how fast and strong Nidoking was. I'm guessing Choice Scarf + Sheer Force?

Yeah, I totally used up all my "have my enemies punch themselves in the face" luck in the first fight against Drapion, but I needed it the most at the end of the second battle. I'm not sure if Sableye's Foul Play would have finished off Nidoking if King Fonzie hurt himself instead of attacking, but that was what I was hoping for.

TWILT

Banned
Since I've gotten the okay, here's my battle videos from Quest1 last night:
Round 1: BY4G-WWWW-WWW6-7Y4V
Round 2: GH2W-WWWW-WWW6-7Y5X

Also, just challenged/sent a PM to Prof.Beef. HE'S NEXT.

Top Bottom