• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Rpgs (2011 edition)

Dammit, trimming my list down to 10 is killing me.

• Phantasy Star Online - Ludicrously addictiv-- er, compelling. The setting, aesthetics, collectables and the exceptional bosses have kept me engrossed for more hours than I'd care to admit.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - A fantastically desolate world with the sublime atmosphere so typical of the SMT series.
  • Shining Force III - While its mechanics lack the depth of say, Disgaea, I actually find it more enjoyable overall. The combat cutscenes blew me away back in the day.
  • Persona 4 - A masterpiece of localisation. Excellent marks across the board, with plot, characters, combat and general game mechanics all being of an impressive standard.
  • Eternal Sonata - Aesthetically outstanding, backed up by an engaging battle system (providing you're playing on Encore). Alright, the plot's abysmal, but I perceive the entire thing as I would a dream.
  • Dark Chronicle - Bursting at the seams with entertaining stuff to do and find, even if the combat itself is comparatively basic. It really feels as if an absurd amount of care and attention went into this game.
  • Breath of Fire V - A uniquely frantic and engaging atmosphere complete with an incredibly underrated battle system. There were so many elements here I'd love to see more regularly in RPGs.
  • Shining the Holy Ark - One of only three RPGs I've ever played through to completion more than once (Eternal Sonata and Grandia 2 being the others, discounting PSO). First-person perspective is refreshing and works wonderfully. Immensely satisfying combat.
  • Phantom Brave - While the cast/plot isn't NI's finest, in gameplay terms it's the best of their offerings. I remember feeling overwhelmed by the sheer variety in weapons and techniques.
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - Plot and characters are garbage, but the game endures by the strength of its battle system. The superb soundtrack also deserves a mention.
HMs to Panzer Dragoon Saga, Grandia II and Suikoden V. If I'd gotten around to playing Valkyria Chronicles, it'd probably be on there somewhere.

DaBuddaDa

I love seeing people post Chrono Trigger having only played it for the first time two years ago on the DS. Truly a classic with appeal way beyond its little place in time.

7Th

Shin Megami Tensei 3: The most perfect Shin Megami Tensei game to date.
Persona 3 PSP: The modern Persona formula works so much better as a portable game it isn't even funny.
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dragon Quest IV (DS)
Demon's Souls
Fire Emblem (GBA)

Requeim

Pokemon Crystal (2 votes) - Easily among my top 10 games of all time, i've put about 300 hours into the save currently on my cart
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Demon's Souls
Mother 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

vocab

ULTROS! said:
Sorry but I didn't grow up with WRPGs

Neither did I, but that doesn't mean I ignore the current state of RPG's. Too many good WRPG's out there to not play them. I guess you can't play games with an open mind if you can't even acknowledge there are good RPG's outside JRPG's, which have been sucking dick this generation.

corkscrewblow said:
I can't stay interested past a couple hours in.

That's half of the jrpg market summed up right now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Final Fantasy VI - I still consider it to be my favorite game of all-time, so naturally, I'm gonna pick it as the best RPG. The actual combat and gameplay mechanics aren't spectacular or innovative, but its definitely solid(having so many different characters is the best part) and thats pretty much the worst thing I can say about this game. Other than that, its just plain top quality. The graphics are charming, even to this day. The music is possibly the best in any game I've ever heard. The characters are incredibly memorable and each gets their own fun sidequest in the 2nd half of the game. I mean, really, there's so much I can say about this game, but its really just such an RPG staple that I cant imagine somebody being an RPG fan and not having played this, so I wont rant on endlessly here.

Secret of Mana - This game is beautiful, the gameplay is fun and rewarding, the music is fantastic and its great fun to play with other people.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - If you like RPG's, this game is awesome, but if you like RPG's AND Star Wars, then this game(and its sequel) is pretty much mandatory. The battle mechanics were admittedly a bit clumsy sometimes, but it was still fun and getting to customize your own lightsaber was just badass. I liked the whole choice-system in the game, but it was never a huge selling point for me.

Final Fantasy VII - Obligatory pick as a Final Fantasy lover. This game just has so much going for it. The setting and locations are awesome, the music is awesome, the characters are awesome, the story is actually interesting, the summons were epic, the customization was awesome, and there was lots of sidequests and numerous things to do aside from the main quest. Pretty much a masterpiece of an RPG along with Final Fantasy VI.

Chrono Trigger - A fantastic action RPG that would still be just as awesome if it were released yesterday. Make no mistake, nostalgia is not what makes people like this game so much. Its just full of goodness, from the unique time-traveling system, the simple-yet-awesome battle mechanics, the story and the multiple endings, the graphics, the music, yadda yadda. Fantastic game.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Ok, I never played Morrowind, but I still think Oblivion is one of the greatest games of all-time. I've only played through the game once, but it was an epic 200 hour playthrough. EPIC is probably the best way to describe most everything that makes this game great. The setting, the music, the size, the immersiveness and most of all - the pure amount of crap to do, all EPIC.

Kingdom Hearts - A great blend of fun action-style RPG gameplay and some of the greatest Disney settings. Dont know how or why this all works so great, but it does and its a joy to experience.

Super Mario RPG - Another of the top-notch RPG's that came from the SNES golden-era of gaming. And another example of how two normally unrelated elements(Mario and RPG's) can come together to form one hell of a game. The story is the usual Mario nonsense, but its partly that 'doesn't take it self too seriously' nonsense that makes this game so quirky and so charming, and something that most every Mario RPG game since has replicated. And on top of this, its actually a fairly involving RPG with some entertaining battle mechanics.

Final Fantasy IX - Dont get me wrong, I LOVE FF8, but after two 'industrialized' Final Fantasies, it was really special for them to come back to their 'fantasy' roots for this one. And they switched up the art style, which I think worked great and was really refreshing. Although I cant say that this game really excels greatly in any one area, its just an all-round quality Final Fantasy game.

Mass Effect - Ya know, I think I had more fun playing Mass Effect 2, but they seriously stripped most of the RPG elements out of the game and I feel that the first is the only one that I can consider a proper RPG. And it was a great one at that. The setting was marvelous and the graphics, while laden with performance problems, were still incredibly gorgeous. It was a very atmospheric experience and the mix of shooting elements and RPG elements worked very well if you asked me. The game has its flaws, but its still a game that I think would be tragic to miss out on.

And I'm sorry to not have Final Fantasy IV, VIII, X and XII on the list as I loved each and every one, but I feel that other series deserve a bit of recognition, too.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Anachronox (2 points)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Lufia 2
Golden Sun
Tales of Symphonia
Persona 3
Pokemon Gold
Mass Effect 2
Front Mission 3 (if that counts)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
vocab said:
Neither did I, but that doesn't mean I ignore the current state of RPG's. Too many good WRPG's out there to not play them. I guess you can't play games with an open mind if you can't even acknowledge there are good RPG's outside JRPG's, which have been sucking dick this generation.

I tried Dragon's Age and well... I kinda got bored after a few hours. :/

I'll try Mass Effect 2's demo, if that doesn't hold up my attention then I'll probably stick to my JRPG/Japanese game fest with a hint of Non-Japanese Sony franchises, Assasssin's Creed, and PSN games.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Wasteland
Suikoden II
ArmageddonMUD
Phantasy Star IV
Pool of Radiance (Gold Box)
Demon's Souls
Shadowhearts Covenant
Chrono Cross

vocab

ULTROS! said:
I tried Dragon's Age and well... I kinda got bored after a few hours. :/

I'll try Mass Effect 2's demo, if that doesn't hold up my attention then I'll probably stick to my JRPG/Japanese game fest with a hint of Non-Japanese Sony franchises, Assasssin's Creed, and PSN games.

Dragon age is hit or miss, and well Mass Effect 2 is not an RPG.

BumRush

1. Final Fantasy 6 (two votes) - IMO, best storyline and characters in an RPG ever. Would easily make a better nextgen remake than 7.

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - This was the first game to bridge the gap between cinema and game for me.

2. Demon's Souls - With a wife and a job and a home it's tough to find time to play games a lot. With that being said, Demon's souls ran my life for a month. Best game of this gen.

4. Mass Effect 2 - Maybe light on the "RPG" elements, but damn, this game was fun. So pumped for ME3.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics: Not the world's biggest SRPG guy, but hard to deny the fact this this game is tight across the board (special nod to WotL edition).

6. Final Fantasy 9 - thoroughly enjoyed 7 and 8 but the return to typical FF setting brought me back to the brilliant SNES days (with improved graphics).

7. Fallout 3 - I'm NOT a big fan of open world games but i sunk TONS of hours into this content rich bastard.

8. Chrono Trigger - Beautiful graphics and time-travel done right.

9. Golden Sun - Never thought a hand-held RPG could keep me engrossed like this. I was wrong.

kswiston

vocab said:
Dragon age is hit or miss, and well Mass Effect 2 is not an RPG.

What would you say is an ideal gateway game for wrpgs? As much as I like Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment, I don't think those are the best two game to get someone into the genre.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IV
Phantasy Star IV
Xenosaga III
Dragon Quest VIII
Suikoden
Fallout 3

I didn't list any SRPGS. SF3, Dragon Force and FFT would be on the list.

Mileena

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Edit: I can't include Demon's Souls. It just doesn't feel like an rpg to me. Its a great game but its focus on skill, reaction, timing and learning patterns puts in the same category as Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.
Demons Souls doesn't feel like an RPG to you but Mass Effect does? wut

1. Chrono Trigger (2votes)
2. The World Ends With You
3. Breath of Fire 3
4. Mass Effect
5. Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
6. Grandia
7. Final Fantasy VI
8. World of Warcraft

Can't believe on the lack of love for Disgaea here :( It's one of my favorite games of all time.

1 - Final Fantasy Tactics
2 - Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
3 - Final Fantasy VII
4 - Valkyrie Profile
5 - Chrono Cross
6 - Demon's Souls
7 - Diablo 2 (would that be considered an RPG? I consider it :0)
8 - Final Fantasy XII (it has balthier and fran <3)
9 - Tales of Symphonia
10 - Tales of Vesperia

1. Skies of Arcadia: A product of a legacy of role-playing games that hearkens back to Sega's earliest days in the home console market.

2. Final Fantasy IX: Serves as a coda to the series as you know it - it's a summation of everything that players have enjoyed about the series for ten years prior.

3. Final Fantasy X: If you want the definitive role-playing game for the PlayStation 2, here it is.

4. Persona 3: At times shocking and always intense, Persona 3 is not a game you are likely to forget.

5. Phantasy Star Online (series): Even with its shallow storyline and camera issues, Phantasy Star Online simply just manages to be a whole lot of fun.

JRPGs
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Panzer Dragoon Saga
SMT: Nocturne

WRPGs
Deus Ex
Planescape Torment
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Fallout
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

tomjenkins

Neo Member
1. MOTHER 3 (2 votes) - The greatest game ever made, quite simply.
2. Persona 4 - A Masterpiece of storytelling, characterization, and symbolism.
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Showed that WRPGs could surpass JRPGs, along with perfecting combat, dialogue, and plot.
4. Chrono Trigger - Set the standard few games have been able to reach.
5. Fallout 3 - Damn it's ugly, but damn it's fun.
6. System Shock 2 - Without this gem, we wouldn't have Bioshock, Bioshock 2, OR Portal.
7. Baldur's Gate 2 - legendary for its addictive qualities.
8. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal - The most well-rounded Pokemon game so far.
9. Persona 3: FES - Until persona 4 came along, this was a perfect example of a game that transcended the huge gap between Japan and the US

zam

In no particular order:

Baldur's Gate II (2 votes)
I loved the first Baldur's Gate but BG2 absolutely blew me away, the combat system, NPCs, quests, huge world and great story make this my all-time favorite RPG.

Planescape Torment
Such a change of pace from the usual fantasy RPGs I would play at the time, Planescape Torment had great demented characters and a wonderful world.

Fallout 2
I played Fallout 2 before I played Fallout 1, and I loved the post-apocalyptic wasteland and the humor.

Fallout: New Vegas
While I put lots of hours into Fallout 3, it still didn't completely feel like Fallout. New Vegas is in my mind the true successor to Fallout 1 & 2.

Fallout 3
While not as good as Fallout 2 or New Vegas, this was still a good Fallout game and a great RPG, and brought Fallout back from the dead and into the modern generation.

Mass Effect
Awesome new IP from BioWare with a deep world and the best dialog system in any RPG

Mass Effect 2
I have no problem with the streamlining done in ME2, they got rid of the Mako and the side missions that all took place in areas that all looked exactly the same. The combat was much better and I loved the characters (Mordin FTW).

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
The best Star Wars game I've ever played and loved the original "Old Republic" setting.

The Witcher
Played this long after it came out after I had upgraded my PC and was blown away.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Never played Morrowind (sorry) but I loved Oblivion and must've put in at least 100 hours into that game.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
-Not in order-
1. Final Fantasy IV - First FF with actual story, great story, character development and a real ending. Not to mention the awesome soundtracks.
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Persona 3 (2 votes)
4. Neverwinter Night 2 - Mask of the Betrayer.... NWN 2 is so-so, however, this expansion pack is just great, I haven't had such great time reading the story since Planescape: Torment.
5. Planescape: Torment
6. Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal Expansion - Don't want to put the expansion as separate game. Even though BG2 looks ancient, I still have not see a modern game with story as good as BG2.
7. The Elder's Scroll 3: Morrowind - Oblivion looks great, but the story is boring, just more human with sword and magic. Playing Morrowind really made you felt now your in an entire new world waiting for you to discover.
8. Disgaea 2
9. valkyria Chronicles - Really great treat for this generation, finally something new!
10. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - I didn't play it when it release, I got this game a few years ago, played with it the player patch with all the bug fix and improvement. Probably this will the only good vampire RPG for a long long time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
The Witcher
Arcanum
Fallout
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Demon's Souls

kswiston

I haven't tallied everything yet, but it looks like wrpgs are doing slightly better this year. A larger percentage of people are listing them. Mass Effect 1 is also ahead of Mass Effect 2. The last vote was done a week or two after the release of ME2, so it may have been somewhat inflated due to hype.

Sotha Sil

Snuggler said:
OK, I'll give it a shot. I'd rather leave them unranked, but I'll change that if needed

One of the most important titles in my history as a gamer. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has topped my experience playing it for the first time. As kid who only gamed on consoles, I couldn't believe that a game could big so big and so limitless in the freedom and exploration that it provides. I've played the game recently, and I'm still discovering new things. Plus, Vvardenfell was an awesome setting. It had some deep, interesting lore and I loved the variety of settings across the map like the blighted Red Mountain, the grand Vivec city, the otherworldly Telmora, the swamps of Seyda Neen...I could go on forever. Morrowind is not only my favorite RPG, but one of my most beloved games of all-time.

Demon's Souls Snuggler's Cream of the Crop Vote!
Immaculate. There isn't much to say about Demon's Souls that hasn't already been said, but it's the single most satisfying experience that I've had in any videogame. The boss battles had my hands trembling, my eyes dry from not blinking and I felt a unparalleled since of triumph from slaying those fuckers. It has a reputation for being difficult, but there is so much more to it. The combat is intense and rewards tact and patience, it's RPG aspects are very deep, the level design is great (so many hidden secrets) and I loved the setting. Bolertaria is a bleak, melancholy and incredibly memorable place. The best game of this generation, no contest.

Good, you just saved me some time. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Parasite Eve 1
Parasite Eve 2
Final Fantasy XII
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics
Shin Megami Tensai: Persona 3: FES
Fallout pre-Beth (Fallout 1-2, Tactics. Not Brotherhood of Steel)
Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind

peakish

Favorite
Fallout: The setting, the atmosphere, the focus on player choice. This is my measuring stick for cRPG design.

In no particular order
Baldur's Gate 2: By far Bioware's best effort so far. Huge, beautiful and with a good story. I can't bring myself to really like IE combat but it has some good encounters at least.
Arcanum: It's a design sequel to Fallout. Great setting and a lot of fine role playing touches, but it's not as intimidating or well paced.
Temple of Elemental Evil: Defeats all other RPG combat that I've played. To see the potential of real turn based RPG strategy, this is the one to play. It's beauuuutiful as well.
Chrono Trigger: The best presented jRPG that I've played. Don't know if that makes it essential but hey ...
Pokemon Red: Red because it's the first in the series that I played, the combat has improved since but I'm not smart enough to appreciate that to the full extent. The series is what I'd consider essential, whichever game you play.
Planescape: Torment: Teh writing.
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer: Yes, the story is great. Characters are super good as well. If you like stories in gaming this is almost as essential as Planescape - just, once again, be prepared for mediocre-but-not-bad gameplay.
Diablo 2: Wait, I can choose between five classes with three specialisations each? That's what a sequel is supposed to do. Worse atmosphere than the first, sadly, but what can you do. As far as action RPG:s go I think this is the one everyone should start out with.

Yeah, some day soon I'll make a serious dive into pre-1998 wRPG:s - playing Betrayal at Krondor right now and it's great. But as of now these are the games I think everyone should try.

kswiston said:
I haven't tallied everything yet, but it looks like wrpgs are doing slightly better this year. A larger percentage of people are listing them. Mass Effect 1 is also ahead of Mass Effect 2. The last vote was done a week or two after the release of ME2, so it may have been somewhat inflated due to hype.

This generation Japanese RPGs (and Japanese games in general) took a real back-seat in the console front. I have a feeling that every year, less and less people play jRPGs as a whole, and wRPGs are so common on consoles as well. I think if we make a thread next year, we are going to see even more wRPG support from players :eek:

Celine

Terranigma - Fantastic action rpg from the last SNES days. Nostalgic, emotional and poetic.

Final Fantasy VI - Great cast of characters, one of the best OST ever and ton of interesting quests. Best FF IMO.

Final Fantasy VII - I know it went downhill from there but FF7 , while with a bunch of faults, still has the germ of experimentation in it. A curious and imperfect mix between old and new that I loved ( and still love ).

Chrono Trigger - Probably the "perfect jrpg".

Dragon Quest IV - My favorite Dragon Quest. Love the characters and the quests they go through.

Dragon Quest V - The usual DQ charm with a heavier emphasis on story ( that is told very well without requiring a huge amount of unneeded text).

Mother 3 - A touchy game. Very original.

Planescape Torment - great atmosphere and writing.

Anachronox - same as above but even better IMO. Battles and customization aren't that brilliant though.

Diablo II - so addictive :D

oracrest

1. Demons Souls (2 points!) - It's dark, atmospheric world, and heavy European art design were what drew me to try it out. It ended up being an explorative adventure with TONS of secret and new things to discover. It ended up feeling somewhere between Super Metroid and Zelda II, with plenty of it's own flavor as well. Also, the only game I have beaten and literally immediately started another playthrough again.

2. Chrono Trigger - A classic, and the only "jrpg" I feel that ever justified the
Whole fantasy/sci-fi crossover themes.

3. Dragon Warrior - The original meat and potatoes RPG. Also my first RPG. I hold fond memories of this one.

4. Final Fantasy IV - for me, the "perfect" final fantasy. All the characters were memorable, and such a great little adventure. Also, my favorite set of sprite art from the series.

5. Final Fantasy VI - Great steampunk influence, and such a rich and thoughtful story. If I said I didn't fake sick for a whole week from school when this came out, it would be a lie :)

6. Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos - At the time, Westwood Studios had one of the best 2D art teams in the industry. This Eye of The Beholder style game was filled with great art, and was a solid adventure, voicework by Patrick Stewart, and my first dungeon crawl with an automap.

7. Final Fantasy Tactics - One of my favorites Because of the depthof it's character system, and a great story focused on medeival political intrigue. Another very "grounded" FF title.

8. Suikoden - Building up a castle with NPCs and waging mass battles are two aspects that I found unique to this one. A decent soundtrack too!

9. Planescape Torment - the only game that made me want to investigate every nook and cranny, just to see what the description read. They also took a DnD universe I wasn't all that interested in, and made it very interesting.

10. Baldur's Gate II - a great sequel to the first, which I loved. I am such a sucker for that top dungeon fantasy style. This one felt like the "biggest" of it's kind, and very well executed.

Ok, that's from the top of my head, I figure I have till the 24th if I missed one, and to correct any iPhone typos :)

1. Final Fantasy VI (two votes) With the most memorable cast of any FF game, and a story that stands the test of time, I have to give it to FF6.
2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
3. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
4. Earthbound
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
7. Persona 4
8. Mass Effect
9. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
10. Suikoden V

hertog

1 Final Fantasy IX: best atmosphere in an RPG ever

2 Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant. Loved LOVED loved this game. serious and humorous, dark and cheerful and with such a great cast.

3 Final Fantasy VII: The king of kings

4 Vandal Hearts: Best Sjrpg!

5 Final Fantasy Tactics: Second best Sjrpg there is

6 Final Fantasy XII: Balthier maybe the best character in an RPG I've ever seen

7 Dark Cloud 2: game ate away all my time

8 Oblivion: just a good experience overall

9 Final Fantasy X: hey, I liked it :D

10 Arc the Lad

01. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
02. Demon's Souls
03. Valkyrie Profile
04. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
05. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
06. Diablo II
07. Shining Force III
08. The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
09. Fallout
10. Dragon Force

Suikoden II (x2) - I can't think of a game that better encapsulates the qualities I look for in an RPG. It's got appealing, distinctive characters whom you recruit (adding the addictive quality of Pokemon), fight alongside, and interact with at your HQ. It's got a detailed world history with enough gaps and mysteries to draw out the imagination of the player. Combat is quick and comes in three flavors to create a more memorable experience for the player. The graphics are an attractive, colorful 2D, and the music is excellent. For a long time the best thing about the RPG format was the latitude it allowed for world exploration and character interaction. Suikoden II (the whole series, really) takes full advantage of those traditions.

Final Fantasy VI - I was torn between IV, V, VI and VII for this spot. I think each has a good claim as the best representative of the series as a whole. I went with VI because it seemed to combine most of the Sony-era features (increased emphasis on storytelling and characterization, "cinematic" cutscenes (see the hideous minecart escape) with the more rigid structure of item and equipment management that was later abandoned by the series. Plus it has the best music.

Demon's Souls - I haven't had access to this game in nearly a year, and I still find myself planning out another character build and another run through Boletaria. Apply the acid test for any entertainment experience (literally, what remains afterward), and Demon's Souls survives more clearly in my memory than any other game from the past three years.

Chrono Trigger - For much the same reasons as anyone else: compelling, original scenario with a stronger sense of "fun" than most other games in the genre.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - I had to choose one game from the SMT franchise. Nocturne marries the best art direction this side of Wind Waker (game looks gorgeous today and urges you to keep playing just to see the next dungeon) with the engrossing demon-fusing/dungeon-exploring gameplay for which the series is famous. Nocturne has the additional advantage of one of the best turn-based battle systems ever. Press-turn manages the impressive feat of being deep, flexible, and normally quite fast all at the same time.

Fire Emblem (GBA) - Standing in for the entire FE series. I love the (comparatively) fast pace and clean interface of the FE games. Even without permadeath, I find myself replaying maps to try to get them just right. Class-ups and appealing characters put the series over the top. I don't need a great story or deep characters, but it makes a big difference to me when I at least have a name and a face to go with the unit that's single-handedly holding the bridge against enemy forces.

Valkyria Chronicles - see above. The virtues are very similar.

Dragon Warrior VII - Standing in for the DQ series. I know VII doesn't have the best characters or the tidiest run-time, but its weird, fascinating scenario supports the best vignettes in the series. I don't know. Maybe it's just cognitive dissonance and when a game runs you 80 hours the first time through you have to tell yourself it was special.

Fallout - Good humor and an original scenario go a long way with me. I also kind of liked the combat in this one, which isn't something I can say for a lot of the more recent wRPGs.

*Note: I'm not counting Zelda games, but if I did then Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past would take two votes a piece (and I'd be sorely tempted to add two other Zeldas), seriously diminishing my ability to list other games.

suzu

Suikoden II
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Persona 4
Breath of Fire III
Mass Effect 2
Diablo II

TChirath

Neo Member
Grew up playing JRPGs, KOTOR was the game that made me become a fan of WRPGs. I've been planning to go play all the earlier WRPG classics that many have mentioned in this thread, but I never own a gaming PC.

KOTOR - My first WRPG that converted me into WRPG fan. I wasn't even knowledgable of Star Wars universe and the game had me looking up many SW lores and terms on the internet.

Mass Effect - Not too much a sci-fi fan but I love the dialogue trees and how I was able to pick how the story could play out in a game with great production value

Fallout 3/New Vegas - Awesome exploration and immersion in a very interesting setting

Dragon Quest 5 - Best story in DQ games. Also loved how my friends and my own party composition and setups were different

Dragon Quest 8 - DQ fan dream came true with fully blown out playable Toriyama's art. Best implementation of overworld in any JRPGs to date

Final Fantasy 6 - Every JRPG mechanics just work and well thought out in this game from main quest, sidequest, down to hidden treasure location

Chrono Trigger - Same strength as FF6, but when FF6 had the advantage of breadth, CT had advantage of depth

Xenogears - The most engaging story I've ever seen in JRPG. I may not remember all the philosophical crap nor understood many of it, but I remember all the characters and their stories/interactions very well.

Persona 4 - Loved the fusion mechanics and possibilities I could create. Great story/scripts/characters as well.

SMT 3 Nocturne - Same as above

Patryn

1. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (2 points)
2. Suikoden 2
3. Mass Effect
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
6. Persona 4
7. Fallout 2
8. Final Fantasy VI
9. Icewind Dale
10. Tales of Vesperia

Honorable mentions: Shining Force 2, Final Fantasy IV, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne.

kswiston

TChirath said:
Grew up playing JRPGs, KOTOR was the game that made me become a fan of WRPGs. I've been planning to go play all the earlier WRPG classics that many have mentioned in this thread, but I never own a gaming PC.

You should really check out the sale going on now at gog.com. Baldurs gate 1+2, Planescape Torment, and other classic wrpgs for $7 or less. The games are so old at this point that any pc should be able to run them.

ghostmind

Grew up playing PCRPGs from the mid 80s until around 2000, when I had a 5 year break from gaming. Returned as a console gamer, though still with PC gaming preferences. Large omissions in my gaming history include the Elder Scrolls series (until IV), Deus Ex, the Fallout series (until 3) and the Baldur's Gate series. Lack of available gaming time is my current hurdle, though I really want to dig into Fallout 3/NV, Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, as well as go back to all the essentials that I missed.

Listed in chronological order:

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (1985)
Eye of the Beholder (1990)
Might & Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen (1992)
Ultima VII: The Black Gate (1992)
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992)
Diablo (1997)
Planescape Torment (1999)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2004)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
Mass Effect (2007)

Jarate

Banned
1. Earthbound

2. Mother 3

3. Secret of Mana

4. Fire Embem (GBA)

5. Final Fantasy 4

6. Fallout New Vegas

7. Final Fantasy 10

8. Lost Oddysey

9. Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoops Barkley Saga

10. Romance of the Three kingdoms 8 (if that doesn't count, make it Super Mario RPG)

Octagon

Here goes (i sadly do not remeber every RPG i have ever played, so this is more a listing of the most memorable titles):

1. Suikoden II
2. Breath of Fire 2
3. Shadow Hearts 2
4. The world ends with you (this doesn't get enough love)
5. Dragon Quest 7
6. Final Fantasy 7
7. Fire Emblem Wii (loved it because of the large scale battles)
8. Secret of Mana
9. Grandia 2
10. Pokemon blue/green & red

Edit: i will not add any Megaten games...

Seanspeed said:
Final Fantasy VI - I still consider it to be my favorite game of all-time, so naturally, I'm gonna pick it as the best RPG. The actual combat and gameplay mechanics aren't spectacular or innovative, but its definitely solid(having so many different characters is the best part) and thats pretty much the worst thing I can say about this game. Other than that, its just plain top quality. The graphics are charming, even to this day. The music is possibly the best in any game I've ever heard. The characters are incredibly memorable and each gets their own fun sidequest in the 2nd half of the game. I mean, really, there's so much I can say about this game, but its really just such an RPG staple that I cant imagine somebody being an RPG fan and not having played this, so I wont rant on endlessly here.

Secret of Mana - This game is beautiful, the gameplay is fun and rewarding, the music is fantastic and its great fun to play with other people.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - If you like RPG's, this game is awesome, but if you like RPG's AND Star Wars, then this game(and its sequel) is pretty much mandatory. The battle mechanics were admittedly a bit clumsy sometimes, but it was still fun and getting to customize your own lightsaber was just badass. I liked the whole choice-system in the game, but it was never a huge selling point for me.

Final Fantasy VII - Obligatory pick as a Final Fantasy lover. This game just has so much going for it. The setting and locations are awesome, the music is awesome, the characters are awesome, the story is actually interesting, the summons were epic, the customization was awesome, and there was lots of sidequests and numerous things to do aside from the main quest. Pretty much a masterpiece of an RPG along with Final Fantasy VI.

Chrono Trigger - A fantastic action RPG that would still be just as awesome if it were released yesterday. Make no mistake, nostalgia is not what makes people like this game so much. Its just full of goodness, from the unique time-traveling system, the simple-yet-awesome battle mechanics, the story and the multiple endings, the graphics, the music, yadda yadda. Fantastic game.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Ok, I never played Morrowind, but I still think Oblivion is one of the greatest games of all-time. I've only played through the game once, but it was an epic 200 hour playthrough. EPIC is probably the best way to describe most everything that makes this game great. The setting, the music, the size, the immersiveness and most of all - the pure amount of crap to do, all EPIC.

Kingdom Hearts - A great blend of fun action-style RPG gameplay and some of the greatest Disney settings. Dont know how or why this all works so great, but it does and its a joy to experience.

Super Mario RPG - Another of the top-notch RPG's that came from the SNES golden-era of gaming. And another example of how two normally unrelated elements(Mario and RPG's) can come together to form one hell of a game. The story is the usual Mario nonsense, but its partly that 'doesn't take it self too seriously' nonsense that makes this game so quirky and so charming, and something that most every Mario RPG game since has replicated. And on top of this, its actually a fairly involving RPG with some entertaining battle mechanics.

Final Fantasy IX - Dont get me wrong, I LOVE FF8, but after two 'industrialized' Final Fantasies, it was really special for them to come back to their 'fantasy' roots for this one. And they switched up the art style, which I think worked great and was really refreshing. Although I cant say that this game really excels greatly in any one area, its just an all-round quality Final Fantasy game.

Mass Effect - Ya know, I think I had more fun playing Mass Effect 2, but they seriously stripped most of the RPG elements out of the game and I feel that the first is the only one that I can consider a proper RPG. And it was a great one at that. The setting was marvelous and the graphics, while laden with performance problems, were still incredibly gorgeous. It was a very atmospheric experience and the mix of shooting elements and RPG elements worked very well if you asked me. The game has its flaws, but its still a game that I think would be tragic to miss out on.

And I'm sorry to not have Final Fantasy IV, VIII, X and XII on the list as I loved each and every one, but I feel that other series deserve a bit of recognition, too.

Awww, no V or Tactics?

Octagon said:
Here goes (i sadly do not remeber every RPG i have ever played, so this is more a listing of the most memorable titles):

1. Suikoden II
2. Breath of Fire 2
3. Shadow Hearts 2
4. The world ends with you (this doesn't get enough love)
5. Dragon Quest 7
6. Final Fantasy 7
7. Fire Emblem Wii (loved it because of the large scale battles)
8. Secret of Mana
9. Grandia 2
10. Pokemon blue/green & red

Edit: i will not add any Megaten games...

Why not?

ETA: And what's with the lists with Zelda entries I'm starting to see?

DaBuddaDa

cartman414 said:
Some stubbornly want to believe Zelda and Shenmue are RPGs, and some want to believe Diablo isn't an RPG. Ignore them.

kswiston

cartman414 said:

It's sometimes hard (and arbitrary) to define what is and isn't an rpg. Take Fire Emblem for example. A lot of people say it's a strategy Rpg, but it really doesn't have any more rpg elements than something like Dawn of War 2, which is typically considered a real-time strategy game. Both have stats, character leveling, equipment management, and story. I'd argue that Dawn of War II is even closer to an srpg than Fire Emblem because it at least lets you choose where to go next after each map. But while you see several mentions of Fire Emblem on people's lists, Dawn of War II, or similar titles, are never mentioned.

That's why I didn't make strict guidelines on what could be included. I figure that the oddball games that clearly aren't rpgs won't get enough votes to make the final list anyhow.

ZeroRay

01. Demon's Souls
02. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
03. Chrono Trigger
04. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
05. Final Fantasy XII
06. Diablo II
07. Deus Ex
08. System Shock 2
09. Final Fantasy IX
10. Persona 4

ultron87

- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (2 Votes)

My favorite game of all time. It is the complete package when it comes to RPGs: great believable characters, interesting story with some good twists, fantastic fast battle system, and an addictive character progression system.

- Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra

Culmination of an amazing science fiction saga. It ends in an enjoyably insane way. KOS-MOS
being Mary Magdalene
was just insane enough to work.

- The World Ends With You

Wins the most unique RPG award. At first you'll be like "what the hell? How am I supposed to control the action on two screens simultaneously with two different control schemes?!?" Then it will all of a sudden click, and it will be so so good.

- Final Fantasy X

My favorite battle system of any FF game. None of that silly ATB nonsense, just show me exactly when I'll go, when the enemies will go, and how the abilities I'm using will affect that turn order. And let me switch party members whenever. If it didn't have the fairly unneeded Rock Paper Scissors style system (ie flying enemy = Wakka etc) it'd be perfect from a mechanics perspective. And despite some cringe worthy moments (HA HA HA) the story is pretty good as well. Also, Blitzball!

- Chrono Trigger

No explanation needed here. It's as good as everyone says it is.

- World of Warcraft

Absolutely deserves all the popularity it has. The most fun world to explore you'll see in a game. And it just got even better with the new expansion.

- Skies of Arcadia

An amazing sense of adventure just drives this game forward. Airship battles are fun.

Edit:

- Deus Ex - How could I forget this?

d1rtn4p

1. Ultima VII - Simply put, the best open world RPG to date. Unmatched in it's lively, believable world. Not to mention one of the best villains ever.
2. Baldurs Gate 2 - The RPG that surely has the most quests and activities jammed into it. Seems like everywhere you turn, you find some great sub-plot that offers unique and fun quests. Not for the weary, lots of numbers to crunch. I put this over the first title just due to sheer amount of content.
3. Might and Magic: World of Xeen - Really two games (Darkside and Clouds of Xeen,) wrapped into one package. The best first person RPG to date. Satisfying character development and TONS of quests.
4. Fallout - Great post apocalyptic setting, great turn based combat, and great death animations :)
5. Eye of the Beholder 2 - The pinnacle of the trilogy. The best first person D&D RPG to ever grace any screen.
6. Veil of Darkness - Better than any Ravenloft game. Picture a dark, scary, and thrilling RPG in a Transylvania type setting.
7. Final Fantasy III (US) - The first long console RPG I ever finished. Epic can't even begin to describe it.
8. Fallout 3 - Probably the best "new age" RPG I've played. Translated the Fallout setting perfectly.
9. Vampire: Bloodlines - A great, albeit buggy game. Just what I expected when I pictured mixing the source engine with the Masquerade setting.
10. Arx Fatalis - A suprisingly great throw-back to the first-person RPG's of yester-year. A satisfying dungeon crawl if I've ever seen one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sohter.Nura said:
This generation Japanese RPGs (and Japanese games in general) took a real back-seat in the console front. I have a feeling that every year, less and less people play jRPGs as a whole, and wRPGs are so common on consoles as well. I think if we make a thread next year, we are going to see even more wRPG support from players :eek:

That's fucking depressing as hell :(

Patryn

kswiston said:
What would you say is an ideal gateway game for wrpgs? As much as I like Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment, I don't think those are the best two game to get someone into the genre.

Knights of the Old Republic. It's a fairly forgiving WRPG in a familiar world with a good story.

Only problem is that the graphics look a lot more dated than the old Infinity Engine games, IMO.

Top Bottom