• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

Also, has anyone else brought up the theory that the Rebuild movies aren't remakes but a sequel series? If not, the gist of it (which is what I believe) is that the history of Evangelion is repeating itself again and again with outcomes changing and there are people behind the scenes (like Gendo), trying to control things and get the outcome they want. The anime was a cycle. The manga was a cycle. The rebuild movies are a cycle. Hell you could even look at the anime ending vs the End of Eva movie as a cycle.

How so? Like how someone was saying you could go back to physical form after being lcl and starting over?

giphy.gif

"Ass-u-ka"
"Yo Shinji get in da robot!."
"Your dad loves you get in da robot!"

My personal take on the Rebuild movies is that they're stand alone attempts to rewrite the place Evangelion has in our memories.

How so? Like how someone was saying you could go back to physical form after being lcl and starting over?

That somehow the world Rebuild takes place is chronologically after EoE. There are many visual identifiers that suggest a connection between them, but i think they're just the movie's way of acknowledging that they exist in a world where Eva has already done its damage.

Zoe

Also, has anyone else brought up the theory that the Rebuild movies aren't remakes but a sequel series? If not, the gist of it (which is what I believe) is that the history of Evangelion is repeating itself again and again with outcomes changing and there are people behind the scenes (like Gendo), trying to control things and get the outcome they want. The anime was a cycle. The manga was a cycle. The rebuild movies are a cycle. Hell you could even look at the anime ending vs the End of Eva movie as a cycle.

The ending of the manga supports this, does it not?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

The manga also entertained this theory in a way

MANGA ENDING SPOILERS
The events of NGE and EoE happened billions of years ago. Shinji+peers (barring Rei I guess) get reincarnated into ordinary citizens. Basically, Battlestar Galactica

MANGA ENDING SPOILERS
The events of NGE and EoE happened billions of years ago. Shinji+peers (barring Rei I guess) get reincarnated into ordinary citizens. Basically, Battlestar Galactica
Sounds like Anno was a fan of Xenogears...or vice versa.

MMarston

Sounds like Anno was a fan of Xenogears...or vice versa.

It's was pretty funnily positive the way the manga ended too. Like someone injected Disney into EoE

Giant Naked Rei dissolves into snowflakes for crying out loud

B.K.

I need to watch the series again sometime. I don't think I've watched it since the DVD release of End of Evangelion. I hope someone licenses the Blu-Ray set for English release.

The cycle thing has been a fairly well believed idea for a while now, and I'd say if it's pretty likely given all the evidence that points towards it. Whether or not it actually becomes a plot point or goes ignored is another thing, of course.

I'm in the concurrent camp of EoTV vs EoE.

DVCY201

MANGA ENDING SPOILERS

I still don't know what Mari is supposed to be, even after her
side story in the manga, being part of the original EVA Project with Yui

Jackpot

Banned
Do the Angels also want instrumentality, or are they just trying to kill all humans?

Something about ancient aliens seeding planets with either the tree of life or the tree of knowledge and our planet got both (the spheres/eggs), so beings from one instinctively try to erase the other to stop someone accessing both and becoming a god.

Or something.

If you gave a planet just the tree of knowledge and no tree of life, what's the point?

There would be no life to appreciate the knowledge.

Do the Angels also want instrumentality, or are they just trying to kill all humans?

What the angels want is not very simple. It's put forward that coexistence simply isn't possible, and that each angel seeks Adam to attain superiority, thus surviving (by causing the Third Impact). But each has its degree of hostility and diplomacy. Some Angels have attempted communication with humans, like Leliel (little kid talking to shinji about avoiding the bad things in life) which demonstrated a high degree of conversability, or Arael who was much more hostile in how it spoke to Asuka's mind.

But whether they want to kill all humans, or are just led by the sad truth of their condition is not very clear. I think it's safe to assume that they are emotionally and intellectually complex creatures, just like humans are.

J-Roderton

What the angels want is not very simple. It's put forward that coexistence simply isn't possible, and that each angel seeks Adam to attain superiority, thus surviving (by causing the Third Impact). But each has its degree of hostility and diplomacy. Some Angels have attempted communication with humans, like Leliel (little kid talking to shinji about avoiding the bad things in life) which demonstrated a high degree of conversability, or Arael who was much more hostile in how it spoke to Asuka's mind.

But whether they want to kill all humans, or are just led by the sad truth of their condition is not very clear. I think it's safe to assume that they are emotionally and intellectually complex creatures, just like humans are.

Yeah and doesn't someone say that the angels never attack first?

What was with the angel that comes out of ocean during the first Asuka episode.

I'm pretty sure this is the most common theory about the movies and has been debated ad nauseam by this point. lol

munchie64

7wygV3t.gif

I wasn't into anime back when this first aired. Why was it so influential at the time?
It's pretty a long list of stuff it influenced and why it influenced them. Overall it was a cornerstone for televised anime to lean more specifically complex and possibly arthouse style storytelling seen often since then, but there are plenty of specifics too.
Rei (one of the main characters) for example, can be said to be a pretty big influence in the "creation" and popularity of the moe genre.

Evangelion as a franchise is pretty damn massive in Japan, at least for the rather specifically otaku targeted Anime industry.

Jackpot

Banned
Whoa, I guess the lore goes pretty deep.

The biggest source of lore outside the series are:

The Red Cross Book - a glossary distributed at special showings of EoE
http://evangelion.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Cross_Book

the Classified Information entries made for a PSP game
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_(Translation)

If you gave a planet just the tree of knowledge and no tree of life, what's the point?

There would be no life to appreciate the knowledge.

Just words. Tree of life means near-immortal beings with only animal-level intelligence that can manipulate space-time the same way a bird instinctively knows how to fly.

I wasn't into anime back when this first aired. Why was it so influential at the time?

Eva is one of those highly authored, highly meaningful and skillfully executed works that can inspire a generation of individuals. More than what it contributed to contextually (to mecha, to the relationship between author and audience, to anime and its relationship with its consumers), i feel like the sheer quality of the work meant more than people tend to acknowledge. It wasn't just a derivative story wearing its influences so evidently that the audience could be excused for just going straight to the original influences, but it had a strong identity, it expanded on its influences, and it added something to the conversation.

Dreavus

The biggest source of lore outside the series are:

The Red Cross Book - a glossary distributed at special showings of EoE
http://evangelion.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Cross_Book

the Classified Information entries made for a PSP game
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_(Translation)

Just words. Tree of life means near-immortal beings with only animal-level intelligence that can manipulate space-time the same way a bird instinctively knows how to fly.

Holy crap.

I'll need to check this stuff out later. Although I suppose it'd take some of the mystery out of the whole thing.

Guess Who

Banned
Anyone know why we don't have a blu ray box set of the series yet?

There's one in Japan.

In the west, I think the localization rights to the original TV series are stuck in legal limbo since ADV folded, otherwise I feel like Funi probably would've picked it up already.

Zombine

Banned
Just watched 1.11 and 2.22 and they legit blew my mind. I'm new to the series and these movies were just incredible to me.

DarkKyo

Just watched 1.11 and 2.22 and they legit blew my mind. I'm new to the series and these movies were just incredible to me.

That's awesome! Original series is still very much worth watching, but I agree that the new movies are great. In particular I love 2.22. Nothing tops Beast Mode Unit 02.

Dreavus

Marathoned today and got about halfway into the series as part of my revisit (up to ep 17)

Those extra "files" from that PSP game linked earlier have been pretty valuable in making more sense of what's going on so far. Like, when they say S^2 engine I actually know what they are referring to.

munchie64

Marathoned today and got about halfway into the series as part of my revisit (up to ep 17)

Those extra "files" from that PSP game linked earlier have been pretty valuable in making more sense of what's going on so far. Like, when they say S^2 engine I actually know what they are referring to.
So much is left or unexplained haha. Like did anyone really understand the black moon shot just from watching?

But that's part of why I love it.

Edit: Should add the link to those in the OP when I get off mobile.

Dreavus

Okay guys, Just finished watching EoE for the first time. Upon revisiting them, Ep 25-26 aren't so bad when you know what to expect and aren't anxiously awaiting a resolution to the plot.

Anyways, it went full art house film for a bit there, didn't it? Real life footage? What appeared to be character cosplay in it's own movie? WHAT. THE. FUCK.

One of the many things I don't really understand is why giant God-Rei-Lilith-Adam suddenly started hemorrhaging and falling apart. Did Unit 01 "kill" her for some reason? Was it because Shinji decided to return as an individual? (however the bleeding starts before he decides this). Instrumentality was still in full effect. So what was the significance of her crashing back to earth? Was it so humanity can reside together on earth itself and not within a "god" (I thought that's what SEELE wanted the whole time, though)?

Or was it meant that LCL was literally Lilith's blood and she had to bleed out and die for it to work the way it was intended and "re-seed" the planet, even though individuals also have the option to will themselves back into existence?

FAKE EDIT: I think this might be it the more I think about it. It looks like she's "gathering" what appear to be the souls of the whole planet into the black moon and herself when the ritual begins, then it all "bleeds" back the earth as LCL where everyone resides, living and dead. I'm not sure if Shinji "rejecting" it or not made any difference to what was happening.

I tried to re-watch that part a few times but after Shinji's crucified Eva enters the giant vagina-eye on god-Rei's forehead (that seems way weirder when you type it out) it quickly shifts to the real life footage stuff and then she has already started falling apart.

Such a strange way to end. I keep thinking about what they're supposed to do in the following days. I guess look for others who also choose to reject and hopefully try and rebuild the planet a bit at a time.

It's funny, on the one hand I was interested in seeing what "happened" during Ep 25-26 and yet on the other hand this film may have just raised twice as many questions as it answered. What a ride.

And for some reason I found it deeply disturbing when each individual person was devolving into LCL while being confronted by the people they care about, like it was supposed to be something joyous. It just seemed so clearly wrong.

MMarston

By the way, here's a pretty funny easter egg the english dubbers added to the series finale Director's Cut for you new guys
https://youtu.be/4hzjuf686oA?t=1m49s

And for some reason I found it deeply disturbing when each individual person was devolving into LCL while being confronted by the people they care about, like it was supposed to be something joyous. It just seemed so clearly wrong.
Also pretty interesting how Aoba had no one to comfort him before going splat

Dude got the bad end of the deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom