• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

And for some reason I found it deeply disturbing when each individual person was devolving into LCL while being confronted by the people they care about, like it was supposed to be something joyous. It just seemed so clearly wrong.

Yeah for real. That kinda bugged me too. It was like just being ganged up on by a ton of people at the same time.

Mobius 1

And for some reason I found it deeply disturbing when each individual person was devolving into LCL while being confronted by the people they care about, like it was supposed to be something joyous. It just seemed so clearly wrong.

It all comes tumbling down ~

I agree. The instrumentality is a terrifying prospect... and the other thing too: Nobody knew it was coming. Outside of Gendo, SEELE and the inner circle at NERV, everyone else on the planet just started to see cataclysmic events taking place and suddenly they're turning into LCL. No warning, no escape. Madness.

Who owns the rights to this series in the US? I just checked on Amazon, is the only way to watch the anime series really to buy a DVD box set that was printed in 2002? It seems insane that it's not available for streaming anywhere and there hasn't been a bluray release or DVD reprint for over a decade, given what a huge franchise the series was back in the day.

I was just wanna say this series attention to detail when it comes to composition of shots is virtually unparalleled in anime as far as I'm concerned. Its no secret watching it, especially the later episodes, that there were on a tight budget, and the series directors consistently find the best visual short hand to express its ideas.Its just a skill Anno and co have that I think its even better than Miyazaki, Otomo, Kon, etc. There's a painterly quality to how they can consistently, instantly imbue emotional/intellectual meaning from using of color or staging or lighting.

This article goes into more detail

Dreavus

It all comes tumbling down ~

I agree. The instrumentality is a terrifying prospect... and the other thing too: Nobody knew it was coming. Outside of Gendo, SEELE and the inner circle at NERV, everyone else on the planet just started to see cataclysmic events taking place and suddenly they're turning into LCL. No warning, no escape. Madness.

Yup. One thing I noticed from SEELE was the one council member we see change to LCL leaves behind a huge assortment of implants and other cybernetics. Maybe he was desperately keeping himself alive until their goal was achieved so he could then "live" forever in the next form.

More musings on the ending of EoE; is Gendo one of the only people from that inner circle who didn't get what he wanted? Not only with Rei taking Adam from him, but also concerning Yui. If Yui's soul still resides in Unit 01 as it leaves earth, doesn't that mean she wouldn't actually be present in the human LCL sea? The one person he wanted to reunite with would not be there. He got screwed over in the ultimate fashion.

munchie64

Here's a great FAQ about Eva that I found. Spoiler filled:
https://jedablue.com/2016/05/03/an-evangelion-faq/
Great article. The direction is outstanding in the show.
More musings on the ending of EoE; is Gendo one of the only people from that inner circle who didn't get what he wanted? Not only with Rei taking Adam from him, but also concerning Yui. If Yui's soul still resides in Unit 01 as it leaves earth, doesn't that mean she wouldn't actually be present in the human LCL sea? The one person he wanted to reunite with would not be there. He got screwed over in the ultimate fashion.
Well can't say he didn't deserve it. Shoulda just gone along with Yui's plan (although I'm not sure if he knew about it tbf)

cyborg009

Banned
So after just watching the TV series and EoE. Can someone explain to the ending scene.
Why is he choking asuka?

And episode 25 & 26 would be so unsatisfying if I had to see it during during its original TV run.

munchie64

So after just watching the TV series and EoE. Can someone explain to the ending scene.
Why is he choking asuka?

And episode 25 & 26 would be so unsatisfying if I had to see it during during its original TV run.
FFY4rpQ.png

random25

Why is he choking asuka?

It's Anno probably showing his thoughts on what Adam should have done to Eve after she fed him the forbidden fruit and both got banished from the garden of Eden.

It's still one of the great mysteries of earth.

Why is he choking asuka?

Ending scene spoiler - lots of text, sorry!

By the time we see Shinji and Asuka on the beach, it's implied -some- time has passed. Grave markers have been erected and Misato's cross is nailed to one and showing visible signs of age and rust.

This is a bit of an amalgamation of theories, but I think Shinji had been alone a good while before Asuka returns. Once she does, it's pretty much stated on some card text from a while back that he chokes her to "confirm the existence of another" or something along those lines. I forget the exact translation.

What I guess that means is he's gone a bit crazy from isolation/the events that transpired and the last time he saw Asuka was during instrumentality, when she rejected him outright and stood motionless as he choked her. The time before that... yeah.

As he looks over to see Asuka, Rei is also there. Watching. An element of instrumentality has manifested before his eyes and then she's gone. But Asuka is still there, but is it really Asuka and not just some trick like before?

In what I can assume is an extremely poor state of mind, Shinji climbs onto Asuka and chokes her to confirm she's real and not the doll who just let him do that terrible thing to her in the hospital and "kill her" during instrumentality. He needs a reaction.

He's probably expecting her to kick him off or yell at him, that's the Asuka he knows, but her reaction is something he could have never predicted. She shows him some degree of warmth, reaching up and weakly caressing his cheek.

Those final moments are pretty much all the emotions of humans being displayed all at once, confirming that they are both separate entities once again.

At this point it all just hits home for our boy Ikari and he pretty much has a full breakdown. Asuka glances up at him and then says her bit, which is just about as controversial as the choking itself.

Maybe she's disgusted with her kind reaction to someone who did something so awful to her, maybe she's disgusted with his crying at her caress, Shinji not coming to help her against the Eva Series or her thoughts, feelings and personality being opened to everyone throughout instrumentality. It's a really strong end line and leaves everything so open to interpretation.

I personally think that she is referring directly back to the last time the two of them were alone somewhere together, the hospital room. She is able to finally accept Shinji and show him affection, but also honesty. What he did was disgusting.

This post was way longer than I expected it to be. Been a while since I rambled about Eva!

cyborg009

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4O6ttzNxBg

By the time we see Shinji and Asuka on the beach, it's implied -some- time has passed. Grave markers have been erected and Misato's cross is nailed to one and showing visible signs of age and rust.

This is a bit of an amalgamation of theories, but I think Shinji had been alone a good while before Asuka returns. Once she does, it's pretty much stated on some card text from a while back that he chokes her to "confirm the existence of another" or something along those lines. I forget the exact translation.

What I guess that means is he's gone a bit crazy from isolation/the events that transpired and the last time he saw Asuka was during instrumentality, when she rejected him outright and stood motionless as he choked her. The time before that... yeah.

As he looks over to see Asuka, Rei is also there. Watching. An element of instrumentality has manifested before his eyes and then she's gone. But Asuka is still there, but is it really Asuka and not just some trick like before?

In what I can assume is an extremely poor state of mind, Shinji climbs onto Asuka and chokes her to confirm she's real and not the doll who just let him do that terrible thing to her in the hospital and "kill her" during instrumentality. He needs a reaction.

He's probably expecting her to kick him off or yell at him, that's the Asuka he knows, but her reaction is something he could have never predicted. She shows him some degree of warmth, reaching up and weakly caressing his cheek.

Those final moments are pretty much all the emotions of humans being displayed all at once, confirming that they are both separate entities once again.

At this point it all just hits home for our boy Ikari and he pretty much has a full breakdown. Asuka glances up at him and then says her bit, which is just about as controversial as the choking itself.

Maybe she's disgusted with her kind reaction to someone who did something so awful to her, maybe she's disgusted with his crying at her caress, Shinji not coming to help her against the Eva Series or her thoughts, feelings and personality being opened to everyone throughout instrumentality. It's a really strong end line and leaves everything so open to interpretation.

I personally think that she is referring directly back to the last time the two of them were alone somewhere together, the hospital room. She is able to finally accept Shinji and show him affection, but also honesty. What he did was disgusting.

This post was way longer than I expected it to be. Been a while since I rambled about Eva!

Thanks for the info guys I've never noticed the rust on the cross. I kind of felt like shinji regretted his decision since he became alone again for so long until Asuka showed up.

Why is he choking asuka?

He's really angry.

Like really angry.

And she's not having any of his shit!

Why is he choking asuka?

The hedgehog's dilemma. Instrumentality is a state where there is no "other:" All of humanity is condensed into a single consciousness. One of the conceits of the show is that human beings, as individuals, are fundamentally alone; as such, we are doomed to constantly misunderstand one another, and in doing so, cause each other pain. Shinji ultimately realizes that this is a double-edged sword: hell is other people, sure, but you can't have happiness without other people, either. So you have to take the good with the bad, in other words. Thus, Shinji rejects instrumentality and emerges back into the world as an individual. Asuka makes that same choice, too.

Why does he try to choke her? Because he regrets his decision to come back. As the only other human being on earth, Asuka is the "other" -- kill her, and in effect, instrumentality is reinstated. But he can't do it for the reasons stated above. Asuka and Shinji are about as dysfunctional a pairing as you could imagine, but who would caress his cheek if she were gone? It's a small thing, but Shinji needs that. We all need that shit.

Caught in a existential Catch-22, Shinji breaks down (again). Depending on whether you watched the sub or dub, Asuka looks on and feels sick/disgust. She's stuck, same as Shinji -- but where he cries, Asuka feels only contempt for him and herself.

I used to think about this show way too much in high school and college :p That was the interpretation I came to, anway.
Such an amazing show.

Edit: reinstated, not reversed.

orochi91

Is this image accurate, with regards to the plot?

Because when I watched the show (+ EoE) for the first time ever last year, this is what I used to solidify my knowledge base and theories, regarding the events that transpired throughout the entire series.

Haven't watched any of the Rebuild films though, since I'm waiting on the final one (Director's Cut edition) to be released first.

munchie64

lol. Does anyone know if it's true that the footage from the theater is from a screening of the unfinished version of EoE? I've heard that a lot.
Is this image accurate, with regards to the plot?

Because when I watched the show (+ EoE) for the first time ever last year, this is what I used to solidify my knowledge base and theories, regarding the events that transpired throughout the entire series.

Haven't watched any of the Rebuild films though, since I'm waiting on the final one (Director's Cut edition) to be released first.
Pretty much. It's simplified, but it's all right.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just realized Gendo's palm holding the Adam embryo and Shinji's palm during the hospital scene are super similar.

munchie64

I just realized Gendo's palm holding the Adam embryo and Shinji's palm during the hospital scene are super similar.
As is the blood on Shinji's hand in Episode 1.

Hands representing the emotions or motivations of the characters is probably the most common motif on the show honestly.

What's the dorkiest piece of NGE memorabilia you all have? Mine is probably the three different keysets I have.

For reference I have this set:

index.php
index.php
(the etchings glow in the dark)

As well as this set:

And then I have another set I made of two plain sets that looks like:

And finally a bunch of single keys such as:

None the photos are mine but they're all depicting items I do own as well.

munchie64

What's the dorkiest piece of NGE memorabilia you all have? Mine is probably the three different keysets I have.
Gotta admit that I don't have a single piece of Evangelion merchandise lol. Those look pretty cool, I love Unit-01s colour scheme.

Been meaning to get some figures for awhile.

The hedgehog's dilemma. Instrumentality is a state where there is no "other:" All of humanity is condensed into a single consciousness. One of the conceits of the show is that human beings, as individuals, are fundamentally alone; as such, we are doomed to constantly misunderstand one another, and in doing so, cause each other pain. Shinji ultimately realizes that this is a double-edged sword: hell is other people, sure, but you can't have happiness without other people, either. So you have to take the good with the bad, in other words. Thus, Shinji rejects instrumentality and emerges back into the world as an individual. Asuka makes that same choice, too.

Why does he try to choke her? Because he regrets his decision to come back. As the only other human being on earth, Asuka is the "other" -- kill her, and in effect, instrumentality is reinstated. But he can't do it for the reasons stated above. Asuka and Shinji are about as dysfunctional a pairing as you could imagine, but who would caress his cheek if she were gone? It's a small thing, but Shinji needs that. We all need that shit.

Caught in a existential Catch-22, Shinji breaks down (again). Depending on whether you watched the sub or dub, Asuka looks on and feels sick/disgust. She's stuck, same as Shinji -- but where he cries, Asuka feels only contempt for him and herself.

I used to think about this show way too much in high school and college :p That was the interpretation I came to, anway.
Such an amazing show.

Edit: reinstated, not reversed.

Hm, great posts guys.

This was one of the very first animes I watched and it just blew my mind so hard lol. Can't believe this was 20 years ago...
Rewatching 25&26 trying to make sense of it all... Then EoE came and I didn't like it. Good times.
It's amazing that I still remember most of it so vividly, the show made such an impression on me.
I found Asuka's EoE fight really disturbing at the time, I remember watching the movie again with commentary on and even her VA said it completely freaked her out.

Dreavus

I saw someone with a NERV sticker on their car and thought that was pretty sweet. Understated enough that it wasn't gaudy.

I don't own anything myself though. I was seriously looking at some EVA unit figures when I finished watching the series a few weeks back, something I haven't done before lol.

What's the dorkiest piece of NGE memorabilia you all have?

The blu ray for the first edition print of 2.0 had film strips included in Japan. Shots of Asuka in the elevator scene was going for hundreds in Yahoo Auction. I used a proxy bidding service to get a clear one of Asuka in a different scene for much less.

Leezard

Wait, are the eva units actually some sort of giant humanoid living things with "armor" on top? That can't be right.

spoil yourself at your own risk, it depends on how far you are in the series.
Nah, the "armor" is actually restraints that exist in order to control the humanoid living things.

spoil yourself at your own risk, it depends on how far you are in the series.
Nah, the "armor" is actually restraints that exist in order to control the humanoid living things.

Whoa, the part I had trouble believing was that they were living humanoids. That's messed up. I guess they made that obvious in the show. I haven't seen it in quite a while.

Seaklng

Banned
I saw someone with a NERV sticker on their car and thought that was pretty sweet. Understated enough that it wasn't gaudy.

I don't own anything myself though. I was seriously looking at some EVA unit figures when I finished watching the series a few weeks back, something I haven't done before lol.

I've got a decal on my car window. Probably my favorite thing about my car.

Dreavus

Yup, when the eva
quickly regenerates it's exposed eye
in the first or second episode, and later when it
regrows it's missing arm and it just looks like a regular human arm
those were some shocking moments. When Unit 01 is
going nuts and eating the angel, everyone in the control room is like "what the fuck have we created?"
I saw some concept art of an eva without the armor and it seems
they have the telltale angel "mask" on their forehead?
I don't think you see that in the show though so I'm not sure if that made it past concept.

Not sure if the spoilers are necessary at this point but it's better to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom