• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

Great video (all that guy's stuff is great really) but man do I disagree. Shinji goes through just as strong and positive growth in EoE as he does in the TV series to me. The fact that he is so low at the start only makes this more apparent.
This video shows how a big part of pessimistic aspects that people read into EoE are mistranslations. (Around 8 minutes in for that part)
Congratulations on the OT.
Oh you.

Took me long enough to finally watch this series and now I'm a big fan of EVA.

Also EoE is one of the best movies I've ever seen. That Asuka vs Mass Produced EVA units scene is the definitely the highlight for me followed by The Third Impact.

Not a big fan of the rebuild movies though, especially 3.0.

Great OT for my favourite anime of all time. Others come close but there's nothing like Mr. Anno's Wild Ride.

Gonna parrot my usual advice for y'all - read Sadamoto's manga, it has some incredible moments and is really a totally different beast to the series/Rebuild movies. It drops a lot of the introspective stuff, but really fleshes out the characters in interesting ways. Easily my favourite version of the story.

munchie64

Took me long enough to finally watch this series and now I'm a big fan of EVA.

Also EoE is one of the best movies I've ever seen. That Asuka vs Mass Produced EVA units scene is the definitely the highlight for me followed by The Third Impact.

Not a big fan of the rebuild movies though, especially 3.0.
There was some chat in the 3.0 thread about EoE. I definitely wanna state how well it handles the two sides of Eva as a whole. Similar to you, those are probably my favourite scenes, but for pretty different reasons (other than great direction).
where's John Kowalski I don't trust an Eva thread without John
Everyone is one now. There is no individuality.

Numb

Lol it was apparent ever since that episode where they had to fight that angel in unison based on compatibility. Shinji and Rei worked from square one. Asuka just kept fucking his shit up until they had it drilled into their heads.

Gotta feel bad for Asuka what he did to her while she was in the hospital tho

Replicant

Asuka best girl.

Also OP toss this into your first post-
tumblr_inline_nxkvm3DTyd1qksqnh_500.jpg

NGE in a nutshell

As if that lazy-ass Gendo will actually break a sweat to battle the Angels themselves.....

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The End of Evangelion is one of my favorite movies ever. The wait for everything to come to blu-ray in the West is pure anguish.

I was just scanning through the OP and noticed I'd never actually watched that Neon Genesis IMPACTS animator expo short.

Wow, that was EXACTLY the kind of content I'd have liked to see more of in the series.

I'd totally watch an entire series featuring slice-of-life stories about different residents of New Tokyo 3. Having the backdrop of that world and events would create some interesting stories for sure.

munchie64

I was just scanning through the OP and noticed I'd never actually watched that Neon Genesis IMPACTS animator expo short.

Wow, that was EXACTLY the kind of content I'd have liked to see more of in the series.

I'd totally watch an entire series featuring slice-of-life stories about different residents of New Tokyo 3. Having the backdrop of that world and events would create some interesting stories for sure.
Yeah, Eva was great at world building but the average person wasn't much a part of it. I'd be interested if more stuff like that comes out.

blamite

Really good thread. I still need to watch 3.0, and I've been thinking of rewatchib has the original series sometime, but I don't know if I need the added depression. As much as I loved watching it the first time, man can it be a downer.

(Episodes 25 and 26 are The Best)

One of my favorite anime series, thanks for making an OT. I remember being so enamored with the series I had to run out and get a eva figure.

tumblr_nokf45U3u81qi7vf4o1_540.jpg

Another reason why he is such a bitch
And he won't get in the fucking Gundam either
I wouldn't even call Eva 1 a gundam, unless there's one that goes crazy and eats other Gundams. Though the real ending to Unicorn Gundam sounds like what happened to Shinji after he achieved an ultra high sync ratio.

I watched this recently, and I didn't really like it.

How many times do I have to watch this kid bitch out and quit, then rejoin for whatever reason, only to bitch out again the next episode?

Some of the abstract stuff was artistic and cool, but that isn't enough for me. There wasn't enough exposition, the ending sucked and the blatant misogyny was very off-putting. I don't really get why this specific anime is so popular.

Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things.

6/10.

The End of Evangelion is one of my favorite movies ever. The wait for everything to come to blu-ray in the West is pure anguish.

I thought the movie was even worse than episodes 25/26. Didn't like it at all.

Numb

I wouldn't even call Eva 1 a gundam, unless there's one that goes crazy and eats other Gundams. Though the real ending to Unicorn Gundam sounds like what happened to Shinji after he achieved an ultra high sync ratio.

True

Atleast we can all agree that Rahxephon is garbage

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just in the past couple weeks I was thinking it was time for a rewatch and low in behold this thread pops up! Too bad it's such a hassle to watch the original series.

munchie64

"I'm so fucked up."

Holy shit. Wow.
It just gets better.
There wasn't enough exposition, the ending sucked and the blatant misogyny was very off-putting.
Can't really think of what you'd consider "blatant misogyny". There's probably a bit too much straight faced fanservice but three of the main characters are incredibly well written women (although I'm obviously a bit biased haha)

Guess Who

Banned
I watched this recently, and I didn't really like it.

How many times do I have to watch this kid bitch out and quit, then rejoin for whatever reason, only to bitch out again the next episode?

Some of the abstract stuff was artistic and cool, but that isn't enough for me. There wasn't enough exposition, the ending sucked and the blatant misogyny was very off-putting. I don't really get why this specific anime is so popular.

Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things.

6/10.

giphy.gif

True

Atleast we can all agree that Rahxephon is garbage
Sounds like fighting words bruh. I like Rahxephon. While yes I will agree that it's sort of a clone but it has a different tone, theme and message that makes it it's own thing. Haruka and Ayato is also one of my favorite anime romances. I felt good seeing them finally hook up. Why does it seem like a person just can't like both shows?

pbayne

Nice OT. Why did it take for EVA to get one?

Weird that im actually re-watching the series atm and i forgot how light-hearted the show can be around episodes 8 up to 17-18. I think you kind of get swept up in the mindset of the ending and End of Eva that the series is all doom and gloom when's its simply not.

Can't really think of what you'd consider "blatant misogyny". There's probably a bit too much straight faced fanservice but three of the main characters are incredibly well written women (although I'm obviously a bit biased haha)

Wow are you serious?

I don't even know where to begin. The sexualization of teenage girls? The gratuitous upskirt/cleavage shots? The fact that pretty much all the female characters seek comfort and happiness from sex with men?

I can't remember the character names exactly, but when ponytail guy died Misato tried to have sex with Shinji, a 14 year old boy for the sake of comfort?

The creator's perception of women is really fucked up.

Does straight faced fanservice mean overt and unnecessary sexualization of the female main characters?

Numb

Sounds like fighting words bruh. I like Rahxephon. While yes I will agree that it's sort of a clone but it has a different tone, theme and message that makes it it's own thing. Haruka and Ayato is also one of my favorite anime romances. I felt good seeing them finally hook up. Why does it seem like a person just can't like both shows?

You are either on one side or the other :)

AniHawk

i watched all of eva (just the tv show) and felt nothing. i understood it to be a deconstruction of the mecha genre when it first aired, but i was aware of all the beats and character development that would happen since i'd watched blue gender, eureka seven, and basically all the mecha shows that had come after eva and tried doing the same thing.

then i watched end of evangelion and god damn. everything clicked. it's not a show about robots - it's a show about depression, and how everyone deals with loneliness in their own way (which is what the 'tumbling down' part is all about - and it really did take me until that part before i actually realized what the show was about). in that context, i really enjoy the show, and what the director did. i think the final choice shinji has to make actually resonates in that way. he makes a choice not to kill himself, that he finds value in being around other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom