• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

The last time I watched this was during high school, and it was definitely pretty cool.

But I don't think I could watch it again without raging over Shinji. Such a little shitlord.

Guess Who

Banned
Wow are you serious?

I don't even know where to begin. The sexualization of teenage girls? The gratuitous upskirt/cleavage shots?

To be fair, while the first half of the show is definitely guilty of this, it's pretty heavily subverted and turned on its head in the latter episodes and EoE

The fact that pretty much all the female characters seek comfort and happiness from sex with men?

This is really just Misato, and even then the show treats this as a flaw of hers - the show isn't trying to say something like "women should only find happiness in men", it's totally the opposite. You're probably thinking of that scene with Asuka and Kaji, but that's not really about "seeking happiness from sex with men". Asuka's whole character is actually the opposite as well, that she wants desperately to be independent and treated like an adult. Her trying to seduce Kaji is just her wanting to be seen as mature (even though she's clearly still a child). Rei never does this at all.

I can't remember the character names exactly, but when ponytail guy died Misato tried to have sex with Shinji, a 14 year old boy for the sake of comfort?

This ties back into Misato's character, whose self-esteem has hit rock bottom at this point and she's afraid all she's good for is fucking. And it also ties into this:

The creator's perception of women is really fucked up.

The characters are fucked up, but that's the point. You are not supposed to read their actions as the behaviors of well-adjusted healthy people.

munchie64

Wow are you serious?

I don't even know where to begin. The sexualization of teenage girls? The gratuitous upskirt/cleavage shots? The fact that pretty much all the female characters seek comfort and happiness from sex with men?
That's a pretty big oversimplification of the characters imo. I don't know how you could argue that about Rei, Asuka's goals involve sex certainly but it's way more about her perception of maturity than anything else and the scene with Misato is about her falling back to her old ways to try and comfort Shinji, not the other way around.

And I can't really think of any panty shots. Even during Asuka's introduction where the characters get one, the audience doesn't see it. Sexuality is a theme of the series and thus the showing of it isn't really a negative for me.

I think you're judging Anno quite harshly, considering everything I've heard from him as well as the company he keeps suggests the opposite.

Thank you for the OT, munchie. I'm thinking of getting back in the fucking robot and re-watching the series + EoE.

Maybe not all at the same time again, mind you.

.JayZii

Banned
Evangelion is so great. I rewatch the series and End of Evangelion every couple of years and it just gets better and better. Fantastic designs and visuals, inspired direction, and deep, dark personal emotions that are very relatable to a lot of people.

Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and Revolutionary Girl Utena are the holy 90's anime trinity, to me.

Can't wait for the final rebuild film in 2025.

Jackpot

Banned
I can't remember the character names exactly, but when ponytail guy died Misato tried to have sex with Shinji, a 14 year old boy for the sake of comfort?

I don't recall that bit. I remember her breaking down in tears and Shinji hiding in his room. What else happened?

munchie64

The last time I watched this was during high school, and it was definitely pretty cool.

But I don't think I could watch it again without raging over Shinji. Such a little shitlord.
It's possible your perception of him might change. If you view him as a child rather than the peer you would in high school you may become more empathetic to his problems.

No guarantee of course, just saying.
then i watched end of evangelion and god damn. everything clicked. it's not a show about robots - it's a show about depression, and how everyone deals with loneliness in their own way (which is what the 'tumbling down' part is all about - and it really did take me until that part before i actually realized what the show was about). in that context, i really enjoy the show, and what the director did. i think the final choice shinji has to make actually resonates in that way. he makes a choice not to kill himself, that he finds value in being around other people.
I'm sure you know this, but the director was rather depressed when making the show and EoE.

TheMan

I have the original DVDs somewhere, but I'd definitely buy a blu-ray collection. Why can't american distributors get their asses in gear and make this available here?

I don't recall that bit. I remember her breaking down in tears and Shinji hiding in his room. What else happened?

Shinji is being depressed in his room, she goes in, sits next to him and puts her hand on top of his saying "this is the only way I know how to comfort you" or something along those lines.

Shinji isn't into it, but I mean still come on.

Shinji is being depressed in his room, she goes in, sits next to him and puts her hand on top of his saying "this is the only way I know how to comfort you" or something along those lines.

Shinji isn't into it, but I mean still come on.

I don't think she was trying to have sex with Shinji in that particular scene, she is just lonely and wants to be around someone else. After she leaves the room she calls her Pen Pen over, to fill her void. The only overt hint at her trying to have sex with Shinji is in EoE.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Love me some Evangelion. They still haven't finished the Rebuild films, have they? Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever got around to finishing You Can (Not) Redo.

I love Eva, I hate Asuka, I need to rewatch this at some point, it's been many years.

tumblr_m7ph5fmX9W1r4xm08o1_500.jpg

Jackpot

Banned
It's possible your perception of him might change. If you view him as a child rather than the peer you would in high school you may become more empathetic to his problems.

No guarantee of course, just saying.

shh.png

heh.

I'm more sympathetic to Shinji's character. It's easy to picture the introverted, wimpish kid at school and then subtract any kind of familial love and add in an impossibly large burden. Anyone would be fucked up.

munchie64

Last 3 posts speak the truth.

Edit: You wanna know who the real pos character is? Kensuke. Ya got half a class full of fucked up kids and all you do is whine about not doing the thing that fucks them up in the first place. Didn't even give a shit when Toji got crippled.

Last 3 posts speak the truth.

Edit: You wanna know who the real pos character is? Kensuke. Ya got half a class full of fucked up kids and all you do is whine about not doing the thing that fucks them up in the first place. Didn't even give a shit when Toji got crippled.

He gave a shit, they just wrote Kensuke and Toji out of the show at that point. Kensuke's great, and probably the character closest to a normal kid. I dream of a spinoff where Kensuke and Toji get to pilot too, but so far it hasn't happened yet.

ubique

The characters are fucked up, but that's the point. You are not supposed to read their actions as the behaviors of well-adjusted healthy people.

Personally I can't understand when I read the usual complaints like "I enjoy the show, but I hate Asuka/Shinji/Misato." When I rewatched it as an adult two years ago I found it impossible not to feel at least some sympathy for the characters' states of mind, as bizarrely as they may act sometimes.

At least half the show is a character study. I mean look at the last episode, I wonder how someone who hates the characters reacts to that.

Guess Who

Banned
Personally I can't understand when I read the usual complaints like "I enjoy the show, but I hate Asuka/Shinji/Misato." When I rewatched it as an adult two years ago I found it impossible not to feel at least some sympathy for the characters' states of mind, as bizarrely as they may act sometimes.

At least half the show is a character study. I mean look at the last episode, I wonder how someone who hates the characters react to that.

Yeah, I think that's a big part of why people love Eva - the characters are messed up but on some level you can relate to what they're going through. It casts a light on some shitty aspects of ourselves that maybe we don't like to look at. But it doesn't do it in a completely hateful way, either - Anno himself was going through a dark time when making the show, after all, and even if it condemns its characters flaws it also understands them.

Jackpot

Banned
Also remember that Ristuko (I think) says piloting an EVA induces mental illness aside from the usual PTSD. And there's evidence that you need mental instability regarding your identity in order to have good synch ratios in the first place.

munchie64

He gave a shit, they just wrote Kensuke and Toji out of the show at that point. Kensuke's great, and probably the character closest to a normal kid. I dream of a spinoff where Kensuke and Toji get to pilot too, but so far it hasn't happened yet.
I think Kensuke's fine in reality that episode he just ticks me off haha

With how many spin-offs there are I'm pretty surprised. It's like the one constant.

I believe Kensuke got a chance to pilot in one of the games, but yeah.

Even Hikari gets to pilot in one of those weird alternate universe books. She's like brainwashed then not brainwashed but still fighting... so weird. It's that one where Asuka becomes a giant Eva i think.

So I watched rebuild 3.33 and I really enjoyed it.

Incidentally Eva is my favorite series of all time and I was actually afraid to watch the third movie for the longest time becuase of its apparent mixed reception.

I just love that damn ship so much.

Edit
In the Angelic Days manga im pretty sure basically all the kids get to pilot right? I read it all but it was so forgetable...

Even Hikari gets to pilot in one of those weird alternate universe books. She's like brainwashed then not brainwashed but still fighting... so weird. It's that one where Asuka becomes a giant Eva i think.

Oh right, Anima.

Anima is weird, man. Mari's like a seven year old catgirl or something.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I watched this series at 20 and again at 28.

I can safely say it is a masterpiece, and there is zero childhood/teenage nostalgia in that analysis, because I saw it twice at two very different times of my adult life.

TheChaos0

I'm researching it right need, it's been many many years and it still holds up. EoE is going to be a treat, I really don't remember much of it, apart from few scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom