• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does it end if you don't mind me asking?

IIRC it's simmilar to one of the dream scenes of Shinji during End of Evangelion.

It's snowing in Japan and Shinji is almost late to the train, he stumbles into Asuka who is a foreign student and they don't know each other. some little kid and his mother look through the train window and see crusifixed mass-prodused EVA units in the landscape. upon asking what are these mom says, that these are ancient relics. Then there's a scene with young Shinji's mom and that wraps it up.

I watched this series at 20 and again at 28.

I can safely say it is a masterpiece, and there is zero childhood/teenage nostalgia in that analysis, because I saw it twice at two very different times of my adult life.
I really need to watch it again becuase It was a masterpiece to me when I was 14 and I need to know if I still love it as much as I did then.

Coincidentally if I rewatch it this year I would have watched it again at 28 as well.

i dont think asuka is supposed to be likable
so if you do youre broken inside
misato da bes

Well, i mean, you can like not likable persons can't you? I mean, i don't even think Asuka is always a hard person to be with, just... sometimes, when she's down or angry or whatever, and maybe she's down and angry more frequently than most people because, well, Evangelion character right. But i still think you can like her. Well, i wouldn't say that there is anyone in Eva who is truly unlikable... i guess Gendo is a bit hard to like, but even him i pity in some way that's not entirely dismissible.

Asuka may not have the charisma of, say, Kaji or Misato, but i don't think she's supposed to be unlikable, if anything i think that it would be the opposite, the show pushes you to understand that even someone like her who has a short temper and a big, fragile ego can be worthy of empathy, sympathy, and friendship.

Jacob

Great OT! Nice to have one for this show in general. Still weird to think that the manga finally ended, even if Rebuild remains stuck in GRRM-esque purgatory.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well, i mean, you can like not likable persons can't you? I mean, i don't even think Asuka is always a hard person to be with, just... sometimes, when she's down or angry or whatever, and maybe she's down and angry more frequently than most people because, well, Evangelion character right. But i still think you can like her. Well, i wouldn't say that there is anyone in Eva who is truly unlikable... i guess Gendo is a bit hard to like, but even him i pity in some way that's not entirely dismissible.

Asuka may not have the charisma of, say, Kaji or Misato, but i don't think she's supposed to be unlikable, if anything i think that it would be the opposite, the show pushes you to understand that even someone like her who has a short temper and a big, fragile ego can be worthy of empathy, sympathy, and friendship.

Watching Evangelion as an adult is a bit of a Voight-Kampff test. I don't see how anyone can't have some empathy or sympathy for all of the primary characters in the story, except maybe Gendo.

I like Asuka and I have no idea why. It's really puzzling to me because right after I watched the show for the first time I realized everyone else I knew hated her.

Watching Evangelion as an adult is a bit of a Voight-Kampff test. I don't see how anyone can't have some empathy or sympathy for all of the primary characters in the story, except maybe Gendo.

Pretty much. Gendo is the only character who gets a bad end with the LCL conversion telling me thats the intention.

Misato is best, but Asuka's cool too. I like all the characters, to be honest.

Is this when Amanda Winn Lee goes bat shit in the commentary? I remember listening to the EOS commentary late one night laughing my ass off.

More so in the EoE commentary, but yeah. Especially when she's talking about all the sound effects they added.

Shmuppers

I've only ever seen the anime, really interested to get a hold of the movies and manga (?)

I love the mecha design of this show so much.

J-Roderton

Well I'm still fairly sane. Unfortunately I had to head out of town for a bit but I did manage to get in about 45 min of EoE. Already miles better than the finale.

Jacob

This show has a ton of stuff that's never explained.

Most of that stuff (the Christian/Kabbalistic symbolism especially) is just window dressing. At its core its a show about depression. Sometimes it's very on the nose about this, other times not so much, but I think the thematic ground is explored quite thoroughly.

tumblr_o5vs3grDkE1u6rxqto1_500.jpg

Can't wait.

- J - D -

I still have my Death & Rebirth VHS somewhere. Bought it from Suncoast when it first came out. $40 of my summer work money and it was worth it even though D&R is fairly redundant a thing now.

Eva is pretty cool still. I mean, 3.0 notwithstanding.

Jb

tumblr_ndutwz8EnC1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Anyone ever play the NGE n64 game? I see images floating around from time to time but I have no idea what kind of game it was lol

Apparently it's kind of like a series of mini-games/proto QTEs mixed with a decently faithful retelling of the anime for a N64 game.

Thanks a lot for the thread OP! I only recently watched the show + EoE after hearing about it for decades now. It was a lot funnier and crazier than I expected, which I loved. I sort of wish I had seen this when I was a teenager, but even as an adult who doesn't really feel the kind of existential anguish Shinji does I understood what he was going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom