• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like redheads, Asuka just has a ton of issues. Rei has existential problems. Asuka just has...everything problems.

Thoughts on Rebuild Asuka? I know
that they took out the parts where they have her flirting with Kaji. Also if I remember right she was more of a social outcast then in the tv series.

that they took out the parts where they have her flirting with Kaji. Also if I remember right she was more of a social outcast then in the tv series.
I don't really remember too much from the Rebuild movies with Asuka. All I remember is her popping up with a
Big Boss eye patch
at some point. It's been a good couple of years since I've seen any of them and I normally don't watch 1.11 cause it's practically HD stock footage of the first couple of eps.

daveo42

Banned
b-b-but what about episode 26?

Watch 26 first. Then watch EoE. Both are worth it, but EoE is the true end of the original series. Also prepare for
tumbling

Weaker character overall because
she doesn't show up till the second movie, giving her less time to develop. She also has time taken away due to Mari being added and spending the last 3rd of 2.22 in stasis. 3.33 didn't do much for her either since that was heavily Shinji and Kaworu focused. Maybe 4.44 will actually develop her character a bit.

Muffdraul

Thanks.

Perhaps I'll try viewing them with a bit more of an open mind.

All I remember the first time was: *while narration and weird back and forth between characters and their inner voices or whatever is going on* "yeah yeah yeah, okay whatever, but what the FUCK is actually happening right now? Like, to the earth? Aren't Angels blowing everything up right now?" I kept waiting for the psychoanalysis to end and the plot to actually resolve itself but instead the series ended. Admittedly I didn't give it much of a chance by it's own merits.

I'm with you on the last two TV episodes. Legend has it that the original scripts for them were thrown out at the last minute because sponsors objected to the content and threatened to pull funding. There was a mad scramble to come up with another idea in time for the deadline, and the result was those TV episodes. Then the original scripts were fished out of the garbage and became the basis for EoE. The TV episodes were a forced compromise and personally I have no problem pretending they don't exist in favor of the movie.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Dude better get his mental KY Jelly prepped.

tumblr_ncvrf1NzZM1sefquto2_500.gif

It's gonna be great

I'm still waiting for Blurays of the series, that are at least dubbed. I'd get a Bluray player for Eva. Just the whole series and EoE, and I'd be happy.

I think people overstate how much of a MIND FUCK!!!!! EoE is
It starts with
Shinji being rock bottom and ends with Shinji being rock bottom. Lots of shit happens and I swear he still is just a depressed sad sack stuck with the worst waifu for all of eternity.

Quick

Banned
EoE spoiler tagged, since we have someone watching it here for the first time:

I remember watching EoE for the first time, and I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics of Komm Susser Todd. I didn't look into the juxtaposition too deeply at that time, just at the tone of the music to what's going on.

Philippo

Just randomly passing by for the waifu war: i think Rei is an actually great person, someone that initially might pass as insipid, but you work together and improve things (in the anime, her actual emotions); Asuka on the other hand might initially result as much more attractive for the looks and the feisty personality, you could almost say people fall for her exactly for her issues, but then those same issues are what would make being with her unbearable (and i know because i've been with an Asuka before and have met manys).

Misato is still the best though and the middle way, a good person with issues, but much more level headed that can solve them

Just randomly passing by for the waifu war: i think Rei is an actually great person, someone that initially might pass as insipid, but you work together and improve things (in the anime, her actual emotions); Asuka on the other hand might initially result as much more attractive for the looks and the feisty personality, you could almost say people fall for her exactly for her issues, but then those same issues are what would make being with her unbearable (and i know because i've been with an Asuka before and have met manys).

Misato is still the best though and the middle way, a good person with issues, but much more level headed that can solve them
Pretty much this. Asuka couldn't work through her own shit, till EOE and by that point it was just too late for her. Even when a person tried to help her work through shit she'd just lash out. Rei just seemed easier to work with, which is something that's very important for an actual relationship.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, this was the most disappointing part of the visuals for me.

I mean, you go from this
giphy.gif

To this

It's not that bad, but it is awfully jarring.

Huh...I guess I thought 3.33 looked better than that. Maybe I need to go back and watch all three.

Philippo

Pretty much this. Asuka couldn't work through her own shit, till EOE and by that point it was just too late for her. Even when a person tried to help her work through shit she'd just lash out. Rei just seemed easier to work with, which is something that's very important for an actual relationship.

Funny thing is that i keep falling for Asuka-type of girls, although now i know i have to not expect anything serious from them.

3.0 is a very beautiful movie.

Also can we please not talk of the girls as how much of a quality girlfriend they'd be. That's kind of anathematic to the whole thing with Eva.

Apparently the first time EVA was shown on English-speaking television was on...PBS!

I find that ironic and funny. PBS, a station known for inoffensive, "whitebread" shows like Barney, broadcasting anime.

But Shinji spends most of the series stuck inside of his mother any way. Rei's actually sweet, Asuka is volatile at the drop of a hat half the time. On top of her being nice she's actually a contemplative, philosophical person. I know her development is a bit cliched, but I'd rather deal with that than Asuka. I still think Rei deals with her existential crisis a lot better than Asuka does, especially since Rei's Eva has the soul of a woman that choked her ass out in it. Now that I think of it even Rei's clones had different personalities. Rei II was never as direct as Rei I was.

Asuka has the best character development in the series, only below Shinji himself. Evangelion is inherently filled with flawed characters. Thats the point and it isn't afraid to dissect these flaws instead of brushing them over. In comparison Rei just feels shallow.

Guess Who

Banned
Also can we please not talk of the girls as how much of a quality girlfriend they'd be. That's kind of anathematic to the whole thing with Eva.

the eternal irony of eva is that while the original work is a deconstruction of tropes like tsunderes and submissive girls and an assault on otaku culture, the franchise is also an unstoppable marketing machine for skimpy figurines and romcom high-school AU manga

munchie64

Well can't wait to see what's going on in the thre... oh. Oh God.
the eternal irony of eva is that while the original work is a deconstruction of tropes like tsunderes and submissive girls and an assault on otaku culture, the franchise is also an unstoppable marketing machine for skimpy figurines and romcom high-school AU manga
I'm gonna be honest. Some of the figures make me feel pretty sick.
So which are you guy's favorite Angels? I have always had a soft spot for Leliel. It's also my favorite episode.
Zeruel. Just a badass powerhouse. Leliel would probably second though.

Asuka has the best character development in the series, only below Shinji himself. Evangelion is inherently filled with flawed characters. Thats the point and it isn't afraid to dissect these flaws instead of brushing them over. In comparison Rei just feels shallow.
Why does this feel like part two of our numerous Hinata vs Sakura discussions? Correct me of I'm wrong, somebody, but isn't Rei practically the mascot for this show?

Dreavus

w a t c h e o e

EoE is the "what the fuck is actually happening right now" you've been looking for.

I'm with you on the last two TV episodes. Legend has it that the original scripts for them were thrown out at the last minute because sponsors objected to the content and threatened to pull funding. There was a mad scramble to come up with another idea in time for the deadline, and the result was those TV episodes. Then the original scripts were fished out of the garbage and became the basis for EoE. The TV episodes were a forced compromise and personally I have no problem pretending they don't exist in favor of the movie.

Well I'll be damned, I really should have checked it out back then. I think I will plan a rewatch over the next little while and see if I can get EoE in on the end.

So which are you guy's favorite Angels? I have always had a soft spot for Leliel. It's also my favorite episode.

I didn't know they even had names! From my dim memory, I always liked the simple design of the very first one, and the way it kind of looks confused about what's happening to it when they try and blow it up several times.

Another was probably the computer virus one, not because of the design (I don't think it really had one) but because HOLY SHIT I remember that episode being extremely tense.

Another was probably the computer virus one, not because of the design (I don't think it really had one) but because HOLY SHIT I remember that episode being extremely tense.

Oh yeah, that was a great one. First Ristuko episode if i remember correctly. Ritsuko's such a great character she managed to code an angel to death.

Why does this feel like part two of our numerous Hinata vs Sakura discussions? Correct me of I'm wrong, somebody, but isn't Rei practically the mascot for this show?

No. Rei is crucial to the story and "lore". Asuka's importance is in her character and relationship with the main character Shinji, which has a more lasting effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom