• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
She'd definitely be the better one in bed. I mean, in the future of course. Since they're not 18 in the show, and I don't have the correct avatar for that.
I'm actually convinced that after Rei had sex a few times and stopped being fucking awkward about it she'd be pretty damn good actually. Most of her problem is she can't decipher her own emotions, but once she actually got into it she'd be pretty fine. She'd probably start reading books and info gathering and shit, next thing you know she'd bring home a ball gag and paddle.
Episode 23 update

Asuka is a Sega kid? Gross
OH GOD WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO REY
Asuka at less than 10% sync (whatever that means) USELESS
HOLY SHIT RIP REY
ARE THEY MAKING NEW REYS?
WHY IS DOCTOR EYE BROWS NAKED
HOLY SHIT THEY ARE MAKING NEW REYS
OH GOD THERES DOZENS OF REY HUSKS
I was waiting for you to get to this part.

muteki

3.33 never happened, it was all a dream.

Or they could DYRL it and say it was just a (horrible) alt-universe movie in movie.

Flandy

repost for new page

Episode 23 update

HOLY SHIT RIP REY

IIRC three scenes,
Asuka calling Kaji and noticing Shinji with Rei afterwards, Asuka not wanting to bath and breaking down, and the scene with the mental invasion was extended significantly, for example the scene with other voice actors voicing Asuka isn't in the original show.

All important, but the last one especially.

I see. Thanks for the info

repost for new page

Episode 23 update

HOLY SHIT RIP REY

I see. Thanks for the info
Wait when was Ritsuko ever naked?

J-Roderton

Man, that episode when they make Asuka and Shinji do everything together is awesome.

*coordinated somersaults and flying kicks

Meeting with SEELE, I think.
Wow I don't remember that part. Oh yeah they were questioning her about something. I'll get to that eventually since I'm rewatching it with my girlfriend.
Man, that episode when they make Asuka and Shinji do everything together is awesome.

*coordinated somersaults and flying kicks
I think that mission would've been easier with Rei. I think they only tossed Rei off that cause Asuka's fragile ass ego was getting destroyed.

But Rei is the loyal forever girl. Asuka is the chick that spent half the show trying to fuck/flirt with Kaji cause she's a loon.

Better than a soulless clone based of your mother, who is so passive that the creator forgot about her, and whose only notable character development can be summed up with the most cliche progression: "I can feel now".

Better than a soulless clone based of your mother, who is so passive that the creator forgot about her, and whose only notable character development can be summed up with the most cliche progression: "I can feel now".
But Shinji spends most of the series stuck inside of his mother any way. Rei's actually sweet, Asuka is volatile at the drop of a hat half the time. On top of her being nice she's actually a contemplative, philosophical person. I know her development is a bit cliched, but I'd rather deal with that than Asuka. I still think Rei deals with her existential crisis a lot better than Asuka does, especially since Rei's Eva has the soul of a woman that choked her ass out in it. Now that I think of it even Rei's clones had different personalities. Rei II was never as direct as Rei I was.

Eusis

3.33 never happened, it was all a dream.

Or they could DYRL it and say it was just a (horrible) alt-universe movie in movie.
Someone would have a weird sense of entertainment in that setting then, and too much knowledge on secret organizations. Asuka was good in it, but at that point she's more an action star than as a heavily developed character like in the TV series.
repost for new page

Episode 23 update

HOLY SHIT RIP REY
Wait when did this become about Star Wars.

Asuka wanted to have sex with Kaji because she wanted to affirm her individuality and emancipation from her childhood. Moreover, everyone wants to have sex with Kaji.

Meanwhile Rei is actually going through a similar process, she's also coming to terms with her individuality and desires. Her character development is far more than "i can feel", which is just a ridiculous interpretation. She's always felt, and always had a strong emotional bond to being a pilot. Her character arc is about her acquiring agency over her feelings and actions, which culminates in EoE.

Asuka wanted to have sex with Kaji because she wanted to affirm her individuality and emancipation from her childhood. Moreover, everyone wants to have sex with Kaji.

Meanwhile Rei is actually going through a similar process, she's also coming to terms with her individuality and desires. Her character development is far more than "i can feel", which is just a ridiculous interpretation. She's always felt, and always had a strong emotional bond to being a pilot. Her character arc is about her acquiring agency over her feelings and actions, which culminates in EoE.
Regarding Kaji I actually thought it was the opposite. Dude hits on every woman on that show. He's even flirting with Ritsuko and Ritsuko knows his ass. I'd like to think he was joking with her though, but Maya? Seriously dude?
Dudes Gaydar must've been busted.
And thanks for the Rei write up. I love reading stuff from people with the opinion that Rei is actually a person with emotions. I think people thinking she's just some sort of lifeless doll is a misinterpretation on the viewers part. She's always come off as a person, she's just highly distant and emotionally confused so that's how she comes off. She even took offense when Asuka accused her of being a doll. She's not. She's definitely certain things that she has no control of but she's definitely a person. Her main problem is that she spends the bulk of her time with people that just think she's nothing more than some meaningless science experiment, so that's how she sees herself. Her world view pretty much changes when she starts to interact with Shinji.

What's with Rei and Gendo's glasses?
Rei has a special place in her heart for Gendo since Gendo saved her life during an Eva accident. That set of glasses is the set that melted a bit while Gendo was rescuing her. So she keeps it as a keepsake. She seems to be a person that keeps items for emotional reasons and if I remember right she even took Shinji's SDAT out during a suicide mission, I guess to give her strength or something.
Here's a big question:
Asuka or Rei?
How many more combatants do we need to enlist for The Great Waifu War?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Rei has a special place in her heart for Gendo since Gendo saved her life during an Eva accident. That set of glasses is the set that melted a bit while Gendo was rescuing her. So she keeps it as a keepsake. She seems to be a person that keeps items for emotional reasons and if I remember right she even took Shinji's SDAT out during a suicide mission, I guess to give her strength or something.
I've always felt like there was a missed opportunity or denouement with Rei in this sense

I'm not sure how to explain it, but something like a cathartic realization that she can genuinely 'feel' for others and be her own person.

Granted, It's been ages since I last watched the series but i guess that kinda did happen in the last few episodes, albeit very hastily

Flandy

Episode 25 update
RWBYWeissConfusionIntensifiesGIF.gif

I've always felt like there was a missed opportunity or denouement with Rei in this sense

I'm not sure how to explain it, but something like a cathartic realization that she can genuinely 'feel' for others and be her own person.

Granted, It's been ages since I last watched the series but i guess that kinda did happen in the last few episodes, albeit very hastily
I thought that moment was
in EOE when she pretty much just fucks Gendo out of his perfect plan, hand jacks him and decides to run to Shinji.
I'd prefer something more introspective myself cause honestly I think that what she deserves, but I guess it's something.
Episode 25 update
RWBYWeissConfusionIntensifiesGIF.gif
You watching EOE or the shoestring budget final episodes? You don't know true confusion or
unlubed mind rape
till you've seen EOE.

muteki

I think they tried to continue it in the rebuilds but ReiQ threw away any progress they made.

Flandy

I thought that moment was
in EOE when she pretty much just fucks Gendo out of his perfect plan, hand jacks him and decides to run to Shinji.
I'd prefer something more introspective myself cause honestly I think that what she deserves, but I guess it's something.

You watching EOE or the shoestring budget final episodes? You don't know true confusion or
unlubed mind rape
till you've seen EOE.

The original episodes. Is the EOE just an extended version or something?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
EOE is the ending that would make more sense to new people based on its production and premise, but will still unabashedly mess you up big time and will likely put you in a catatonic state for half an hour after

Guess Who

Banned
EOE is the ending that would make more sense to new people based on its production and premise, but will still unabashedly mess you up big time

I'm always tempted to describe EoE as "the ending you'd expect to follow episode 24" but that doesn't feel right because it's also unexpected in... a lot of ways

Dreavus

Kinda want to re-watch this. Watched the original show about 8 years ago and remember feeling a bit cheated by the last few episodes given the climax the plot was building to. I was warned repeatedly about it but right up until those last two I couldn't see how it could possibly go off the rails (and then it promptly did). Never saw EoE.

So the progression is Neon Genesis Evangelion --> End of Evangelion --> whatever else you want, including the new show Rebuild that is still waiting for episode 4, right?

Muffdraul

Kinda want to re-watch this. Watched the original show about 8 years ago and remember feeling a bit cheated by the last few episodes given the climax the plot was building to. I was warned repeatedly about it but right up until those last two I couldn't see how it could possibly go off the rails (and then it promptly did). Never saw EoE.

So the progression is Neon Genesis Evangelion --> End of Evangelion --> whatever else you want, including the new show Rebuild that is still waiting for episode 4, right?

Right.

> Never saw EoE.

u r in 4 a treat!

Episode 26 is simpler, more relaxed and resolves the previous episode. The two last episodes together, i could honestly consider them a landmark in television history. I've never seen anything be so blunt and successful in dedicating two whole episodes to desiccating its own characters.

Dreavus

Right.

> Never saw EoE.

u r in 4 a treat!

Thanks.

Episode 26 is simpler, more relaxed and resolves the previous episode. The two last episodes together, i could honestly consider them a landmark in television history. I've never seen anything be so blunt and successful in dedicating two whole episodes to desiccating its own characters.

Perhaps I'll try viewing them with a bit more of an open mind.

All I remember the first time was: *while narration and weird back and forth between characters and their inner voices or whatever is going on* "yeah yeah yeah, okay whatever, but what the FUCK is actually happening right now? Like, to the earth? Aren't Angels blowing everything up right now?" I kept waiting for the psychoanalysis to end and the plot to actually resolve itself but instead the series ended. Admittedly I didn't give it much of a chance by it's own merits.

Guess Who

Banned
Episode 26
It was a all a dream? I think? No I don't know what to think

w a t c h e o e

Thanks.

Perhaps I'll try viewing them with a bit more of an open mind.

All I remember the first time was: *while narration and weird back and forth between characters and their inner voices or whatever is going on* "yeah yeah yeah, okay whatever, but what the FUCK is actually happening right now? Like, to the earth? Aren't Angels blowing everything up right now?" I kept waiting for the psychoanalysis to end and the plot to actually resolve itself but instead the series ended. Admittedly I didn't give it much of a chance by it's own merits.

EoE is the "what the fuck is actually happening right now" you've been looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom