• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Giant of The Ascent fame are making a "nextgen open world immersive sim FPS"

Bartski

Gold Member
Neon Giant is a Swedish game studio co-founded by former developers from Machinegames (Wolfenstein series). Back in 2021, Neon Giant released its first game, The Ascent, a top-down cyberpunk action RPG. Since then, the studio was acquired by the Korean publisher Krafton, and now they are working on what was described in a press release as an "open world immersive FPS".

Here's every bit of information I've managed to find:

• It's codenamed Project Impact;
  • Tor Frick, creative director at Neon Giant, calls this project a "nextgen cyberpunk immersive sim!" on his Twitter/X profile bio;
  • Digital Foundry member, Alexander Battaglia, managed to see it behind closed doors at the gamescom 2023 event, and was allowed by Neon Giant/Krafton's PR to talk about what he saw (hidden inside this S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 hands-on impressions video – the bit starts at the 5:58 mark):
    • It's being made on the Unreal Engine 5;
    • The gameplay and level design reminded Alex of the Deus Ex series, and "these kinds of games";
    • He was reluctant to call it an "immersive sim" when asked by colleagues, but reinforced the Deus Ex-like vibes he got from the description of the gameplay, level of interactivity, granular AI, open-ended but dense environments, etc. provided at the presentation.

Last edited:
This would have been a great surprise reveal. I guess whoever spoke on it was too excited to keep it secret.

I don’t blame them because it sounds promising.

samoilaaa

Looking forward to this one. Especially after the cancellation of the Deus Ex sequel recently.

yeah , i was expecting it to be honest , even if they wouldnt have canceled it i doubt that it would have been as great as the other games , most of the talented people that worked on deus ex have moved on

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Deus Ex Coffee GIF by Eidos-Montréal

Bartski

Gold Member
The Ascent was a pretty fun local co op experience, will keep an eye on this but I wish they'd kept doing something similar to The Ascent because those types of games are few and far inbetween nowadays
to be perfectly honest I'd be more happy to hear they're doing a sequel. The Ascent was great but imagine that game with meaningful full terrain destruction and collision physics.

StueyDuck

The ascent was fine, it wasn't the best of the co-op top down shooters but it was good enough.

Will be interesting to see what this turns out to be.

Top Bottom