• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Production I.G. Exclusive Anime Series ‘Perfect Bones’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

I'd kinda love to see an anime, full stop anime, just written by a Western writer. Just to see if it's capable of avoiding tropes and pitfalls that a lot of modern anime succumbs to. Bypassing Japan entirely to be produced for a Western audience on Netflix is intriguing to me, even if the director doesn't have the best track record.

Color me intrigued.

You should watch Blood Blockade Battlefront

You should watch Blood Blockade Battlefront

I have, it was quite good if a little...oddly...I dunno paced? Episodic? There was just a little too much disconnect between episodes sometimes with shit just happening without any explanation.

Also after such a long hiatus for the final episode the Black/White plotline was still blarf.

That being said, it was still a fun and entertaining show.

Nightbird

Seven Deadly Sins was okay.
Nothing special, but not bad either.
If I were to recommend an Anime on Netflix I would go for Gurren Lagann or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood tough.

I think the world is ready for Big O season 3. But that's just me.

Anyway this could be good, could be awful, could be anything. The creative team is what's going to make it.

Crocodile

Speaking of East & West fusions, I'd keep an eye out on LeSean Thomas' Cannonbusters. Only a pilot is coming up but I hope it gets turned into a full show.

Sheentak

This is going to suck.
Whenever Japan tends to make anime for a western audience it never goes well

See Lady Death, IGPX, The highlander anime, the marvel various anime series.

Sheentak

Whenever Japan tries to appeal to a western audience it just ends badly, they dont quite understand what the west likes.
They should just focus on making good shows rather than trying to appeal to the west.

Attack on Titan didnt try to appeal to the west and yet became a megahit! I just feel something gets lost when you are deliberately trying to appeal to a foreign market.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
RKYuCkT.gif

This is the worst example of such a great anime. If anyone is interested in checking out Seven Deadly Sins, at least make it to episode 3. That's when it stops being so juvenile, gets really interesting(with good action), and doesn't stop being good.

tumblr_ndk69pRJ7b1rbrys3o1_500.gif

6pTT3sb.gif

Plus the second half of the show had a really great intro song(and helps set the mood of the show).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-EUELKb9A

It is not a top 10 anime obviously but it is not as terrible as people make it out to be due to bad first impressions. It's a really fun adventure anime with a bit of mystery to it, and it sets up an actual fantasy world well and separates itself from all of these 'stuck in an MMO' shows that have been coming out lately.

But they didn't make it. They really shouldn't have called it "Original".

Hence the quotations around "Original". They should just make an alternate "Netflix Exclusive" label or something (though I doubt enough of their audience cares for them to make the effort).

Speaking of East & West fusions, I'd keep an eye out on LeSean Thomas' Cannonbusters. Only a pilot is coming up but I hope it gets turned into a full show.

Really hoping Netflix doesn't sleep on this one.

muu

Will be interesting to see if anything good comes of this. Not having to pander to the superminority that will actually purchase your DVDs in order to turn out a profit should only mean good things for the end product assuming the staff is capable of pushing out something decent.

I'd kinda love to see an anime, full stop anime, just written by a Western writer. Just to see if it's capable of avoiding tropes and pitfalls that a lot of modern anime succumbs to. Bypassing Japan entirely to be produced for a Western audience on Netflix is intriguing to me, even if the director doesn't have the best track record.

Color me intrigued.

Wasn't Heroman that?

Alx

Color me intrigued.

There were plenty of those in the 80s, when Jean Chalopin (of Inspector Gadget fame) worked with Japanese studios. See Ulysses 31 or Cities of Gold, for the best examples.

Sheentak

What happened to 26 episode seasons :(
Too expensive these days to make

Will be interesting to see if anything good comes of this. Not having to pander to the superminority that will actually purchase your DVDs in order to turn out a profit should only mean good things for the end product assuming the staff is capable of pushing out something decent.

You would think that but when trying to appeal to a international audience Japan has a history of mucking it up. The best shows are always the one that are for a a Japanese audience which are just good quality.
When they try to appeal to the west it always kinda feels flat as they try to make it fit what they think the west wants.
I'm pretty sure this is going to suck just by reading the description

gblues

Banned
This is the worst example of such a great anime. If anyone is interested in checking out Seven Deadly Sins, at least make it to episode 3. That's when it stops being so juvenile, gets really interesting(with good action), and doesn't stop being good.

tumblr_ndk69pRJ7b1rbrys3o1_500.gif

6pTT3sb.gif

Plus the second half of the show had a really great intro song(and helps set the mood of the show).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-EUELKb9A

It is not a top 10 anime obviously but it is not as terrible as people make it out to be due to bad first impressions. It's a really fun adventure anime with a bit of mystery to it, and it sets up an actual fantasy world well and separates itself from all of these 'stuck in an MMO' shows that have been coming out lately.

I agree. Yes the show has its fanservicey moments, but it's not the central component to the show. The battles in particular get sick af later on.

Looking forward to S2.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
plz save anime netflix.

Seriously though, the synopsis sounds bland as hell, and Production IG aren't the folk I'd wager on as the saviours of anime but I'm hoping it'll be decent enough so we'll get more stuff out of it later.

Is there gonna be both an English and Japanese dub up at the same time?

munchie64

I'm totally up for this. Wonder what direction it will take. If it will push towards an international audience etc.

And it's not really relevant as already said but I thought Seven Deadly Sins got really fun around the
tournament arc. Ban is awesome.

I don't think pandering to Western audiences is likely to make anything better than pandering to Japanese audiences. (Did anyone like those Funimation-produced Mass Effect and Dragon Age anime?) Moreover, anime that's aimed at Western wallets is unlikely to end up being the types of anime that most appeal to me - low-key character dramas with good atmosphere such as Shounen Hollywood, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, and Flowers of Evil - so I can't say I see Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Netflix getting into anime production as a particularly positive trend. The "West" isn't going to "save" anime.

What happened to 26 episode seasons :(

They still exist, but in recent years there's been a big move towards split-cour shows - TV anime with 24-26 episodes that air with a season break in the middle instead of consecutively. It makes things easier on the production team while allowing the production committee to still start getting a return on their investment without too much of a wait.

I don't think pandering to Western audiences is likely to make anything better than pandering to Japanese audiences. (Did anyone like those Funimation-produced Mass Effect and Dragon Age anime?).

You can dial back otaku-pandering in anime and without pandering to Western tastes. Creating anime with a global audience in mind doesn't necessitate abandoning the distinctly Japanese elements that make anime appealing in the first place.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. Yes the show has its fanservicey moments, but it's not the central component to the show. The battles in particular get sick af later on.

Looking forward to S2.

Same here.

This isn't juvenile? Or maybe i misread your post.

Only if you think meaningful fights in a show are all juvenile, because if that's the case then some of shows considered top 10 must be juvenile to you as well. Obviously there are story beats as much as there is action in this show but the purpose of the .gifs are to show a bit of action for those who think it is nothing but fanservice. I'm just hoping that you forgot to add a sarcasm tag.

UrbanRats

Only if you think meaningful fights in a show are all juvenile, because if that's the case then some of shows considered top 10 must be juvenile to you as well. Obviously there are story beats as much as there is action in this show but the purpose of the .gifs are to show a bit of action for those who think it is nothing but fanservice. I'm just hoping that you forgot to add a sarcasm tag.
You take juvenile as an insult, i don't.
I think enjoying juvenile things for an adult is ok (as long as that's not the only thing he/she enjoys).
Hell, otherwise i wouldn't be on a videogame board.

I haven't watched the show, so maybe i'm missing some major context, but a boob grab being juvenile, having as a rebuttal some cheesy anime DBZ style over the top action, it is puzzling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom