• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Now Worth More Than Disney

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Bleeding 30M a day, Disney is going to struggle, hopefully this causes them to re-evaluate their divided streaming services and forces them to merge together with actual adult content on Disney+.

netflix-now-worth-more-than-disney.jpg

Netflix stock has closed at a record high of $426.75 per share, bringing its overall market capitalization to nearly $187.3 billion. That puts it ahead of Disney whose market cap now stands just below that at $186.6 billion. Compare that to just two months ago – Netflix was at $166 billion and Disney was at $251 billion.

Netflix is one of the few businesses to have soared during the current global pandemic with so many people self-isolating. The company has nearly 170 million subscribers worldwide, and analysts expect it to add more than 7 million new subscribers in Q1 2020.

Disney on the other hand has been hit hard and is reportedly bleeding around $30 million of cash a day right now as its theme parks, cruise ships and film and TV productions are all shut down indefinitely. Disney’s smart push into streaming with Disney+, ESPN+ and full control of Hulu has helped mitigate that a bit. Disney+ recently passed 50 million subscribers worldwide. The trouble is streaming remains a relatively small part of their overall business.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I worry more that Netflix will be convinced putting out those B tier Originals is worth more then securing actual content.

It used to be that Netflix Original meant it had some quality to it, now it more miss then hit (for me.)

Have you tried Ozark?
I just finished season 3 and it is just as good as Breaking Bad, IMO.

Edit: Check out ‘Dark’ too.
It is one of the best shows ever made... IMO

Last edited:

Lrnex

I think it’s just Netflix is all in on streaming since it’s literally all they do and everyone is partaking of it now.

Disney has a cinematic universe to finish but they can’t finish it in the cinemas because the cinemas are all boarded up

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I think it’s just Netflix is all in on streaming since it’s literally all they do and everyone is partaking of it now.

Disney has a cinematic universe to finish but they can’t finish it in the cinemas because the cinemas are all boarded up

In every business school they teach that you need to be adaptable. If the market changes you have to change with it.

Sadly for some of these companies, instead of going with the flow, or trying to find new ways, they held on to the old ways.

You can’t be this was our budget and this was the timeline, and we will just delay.

Deal the hand that was dealt and move with it or get out of the way.

epicnemesis

In every business school they teach that you need to be adaptable. If the market changes you have to change with it.

Sadly for some of these companies, instead of going with the flow, or trying to find new ways, they held on to the old ways.

You can’t be this was our budget and this was the timeline, and we will just delay.

While you are right, this is the wrong context for that point since Disney is way more diversified than a one trick pony that is Netflix. Up until Coronavirus happened the talk when comparing the two companies was how Disney is well positioned with Disney+ since they can be a loss leader on that front since it’s one of many revenue streams. Netflix on the other hand is entirely dependent on their stream service to survive in an increasingly fragmented market.

Kagey K

Banned
While you are right, this is the wrong context for that point since Disney is way more diversified than a one trick pony that is Netflix. Up until Coronavirus happened the talk when comparing the two companies was how Disney is well positioned with Disney+ since they can be a loss leader on that front since it’s one of many revenue streams. Netflix on the other hand is entirely dependent on their stream service to survive in an increasingly fragmented market.
Except Netflix is able to capitalize on thier one trick pony right now, while Disney lost most of thier horses.

Nobody is sure when Disney can get their horses back.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Netflix is a streaming only service/company. Disney makes movies for the theatre, has theme parks, TV divisions and God knows what else that will be hit hard by the Covid19 pandemic. It makes logical sense for Netflix stock to grow and for Disney stock to fall.

Why doesn't the scrappy little article talk about other film corporations. Bias I guess. And why would Disney change their streaming plans?

Try harder with these Disney hate thread guys.

I remember when Netflix was just this cool website that mailed weird Italian horror DVDs to me.

Good for them. I cant wait until streaming replaces movie theaters for good.

And why would you want this? It's fine if you hate the cinema but many people love it.

Unfortunately, we will probably never find out how and when Netflix recovered the 150+ millions budgets of Irishman and 6 Underground. We don't know if streaming can sustain those types of budgets per film. And I want my big budget films to keep coming.

epicnemesis

Except Netflix is able to capitalize on thier one trick pony right now, while Disney lost most of thier horses.

Nobody is sure when Disney can get their horses back.
Yea but depending on a black swan event is hardly a winning long term strategy. Point is they are still very much exposed in the normal world specifically due to their lack of diverse revenue streams.

haxan7

Banned
I don’t think most people want to give up everything else for what they have now. In all likelihood I think Netflix surge is temporary based on the situation right now.

Last edited:

SushiReese

Disney holding hotels,amusement parks and movies production takes a huge hit during lockdown, while NETFLIX become one of the blooming industry during lock-down.

teezzy

Banned
And why would you want this? It's fine if you hate the cinema but many people love it.

Unfortunately, we will probably never find out how and when Netflix recovered the 150+ millions budgets of Irishman and 6 Underground. We don't know if streaming can sustain those types of budgets per film. And I want my big budget films to keep coming.

As a film school graduate who cant stand what the medium has become, I want to see film evolve. Today's blockbusters are the exact product of an industry which has become stagnant and overindulged.

Neflix, and other streaming services, have become a haven for smaller productions. Give me Horse Girl or Marriage Story any day over the latest overtly focus tested Disney screen hog.

Streaming is where the industry has been headed for a long while now., and I'm overjoyed to witness the platform giving the cinematic experience an earnest run for its money rather than being treated like a direct to video step cousin.

To keep creatives on their toes, the streaming industry overtaking theaters is exactly what we need. I apologize to my local independent theaters. F.

Doom85

Streaming is where the industry has been headed for a long while now., and I'm overjoyed to witness the platform giving the cinematic experience an earnest run for its money rather than being treated like a direct to video step cousin.

To keep creatives on their toes, the streaming industry overtaking theaters is exactly what we need. I apologize to my local independent theaters. F.

Yeah, but your original post seemed to indicate you want movie theaters to end (that's how I interpret "replace them for good"). Like, geezus. I love going to the theater a lot every year, as a single guy whose friends are all married now and don't have as much time to hang together as we used to, it's one of the few things I can go out and do by myself that doesn't feel awkward solo. If you prefer streaming services and generally the films they make, more power to you, but I don't see why it has to mean the death of the other side. I don't like sporting events at all but I wouldn't wish for them to ever end because I know that would make a lot of people unhappy.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
also streaming is killing media. LOL @ "keep creatives on their toes". this mass media trash is literally killing IRL movie theaters.

streaming promotes a lack of endings, thus promoting a lack of story, it promotes stretching content, it promotes filler episodes, it promotes so many terrible practices. really struggling to see how it is a boon to anything creative.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Isn’t Netflix mired in a mountain of debt as well? Disney is short term mired in debt for Netflix even with all the subscribers it has in its best conditions ever it’s still burning cash. I don’t see the point of comparing a normally profitable business (Disney) to a cash burning never profitable Netflix.

also streaming is killing media. LOL @ "keep creatives on their toes". this mass media trash is literally killing IRL movie theaters.

streaming promotes a lack of endings, thus promoting a lack of story, it promotes stretching content, it promotes filler episodes, it promotes so many terrible practices. really struggling to see how it is a boon to anything creative.
There were filler episodes in TV before Netflix. I'd argue it doesn't promote filler episodes because if you want people to binge you have to keep it exciting. Now, I'll agree it does promote stretching content. But your two points contradict themselves. You can't stretch content and promote filler. They are at odds with each other.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
There were filler episodes in TV before Netflix. I'd argue it doesn't promote filler episodes because if you want people to binge you have to keep it exciting. Now, I'll agree it does promote stretching content. But your two points contradict themselves. You can't stretch content and promote filler. They are at odds with each other.
no they aren't. it's quite simple.

you have a story. you need to make it play out across X number of episodes due to the contract. thus you stretch the content out.

how do you stretch it out? you add in filler. suddenly your story has to fill in time for 2 more episodes than you may have planned way back before the contract was finalized. you can't spend the full budget on these new eps because you need that for the finale, so you want to save money. time to write those bottle eps. time to have characters trapped in a single hallway for an episode.

fwiw filler is an industrial term, not even limited to tv. companies that manufacture products (for instance made from plastics) often use cheaper industrial filler (often little micro balls) in their products, literally filling in space. it is a way to pad something that would cost too much to produce to the same quality for the entire duration.
if you want people to binge you have to keep it exciting
hard no on this lol. i see people complain all the time about many tv shows that they keep watching anyways.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

Movies and serialized series are different beasts entirely. That's not what I'm talking about.

The more opportunity there is for mid to low budgeted films to be greenlit and widely distributed, the better. Even moreso if they're provided a similar amount of exposure as a big budgeted extravaganza. It has nothing to do with stretching narrative. Streaming has the potential to level the playing field.

Remember when Tarantino couldn't even get the theater space he wanted for Hateful Eight because Disney had them reserved for Star Wars? Just an example, but streaming can provide an antidote for situations like that.

The thinner the lines between between a film and say a YouTube video become, the better, imho. It's very punk rock.

sol_bad

As a film school graduate who cant stand what the medium has become, I want to see film evolve. Today's blockbusters are the exact product of an industry which has become stagnant and overindulged.

Neflix, and other streaming services, have become a haven for smaller productions. Give me Horse Girl or Marriage Story any day over the latest overtly focus tested Disney screen hog.

The cinema experience has always been about big blockbuster popcorn experiences since at least the 80's The "intellectual" movies have always made little money.

Do you go to the cinemas and pay money to support companies like A24 and others like them or do you wait until VOD? If you don't support them at the cinema than you are part of the problem that is making cinema what you hate.

You hate blockbusters, that's fine, lots of people enjoy them. Horse Girl and Marriage Story were never going to make big numbers in the cinema. You can watch what you love on Netflix and other people can watch what they love in the cinema. Cinema doesn't need to collapse for you to enjoy your films.

Netflix actively pissed me off for getting the rights to Marriage Story and Uncut Gems. Two movies I wanted to watch at the cinema because Netflix sucks dick with worldwide distribution.

I hope you are wrong because they’ve been pumping out mediocrity for years. They don’t really deserve their media market share.

I love the MCU so my bias will show. But Marvel have pulled something off that no other studio has been able to do. Creating their cinematic universe is genius and they deserve great recognition for that.
Characterisation is also great and beyond what other action films dribble out. As much as I love the John Wick films, there is nothing amazing about him as a character. Same goes for the Fast movies and even the protagonist in the Raid films.

As for Disney themselves, they have always been creatively bankrupt, always have and always will. They have relied on other peoples stories to make their films for decades. Now they are just remaking their own films. But they know how to make what people like and being able to push out 2-4 blockbusters s year deserves recognition, no other studio can do that.

You hate Disney, that's fine, don't watch it. But don't try and take away other peoples fun.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Disney is going to be in a bit of trouble. Who is going to go to their parks? They are going to have to drop prices like crazy and reduce their attendance by 50-80% to comply with social distancing.

People aren't going to be going to the cinema either, and forget about the international markets. China closed down their movie theaters even though they have "no new cases" LOL.

GymWolf

Gold Member
how is this even possible?
isn't disney like top10 biggest company in the world while netflix is getting trashed everywhere for his mostly shitty original stuff?

only a couple months of shutdown can get a giant like that on his knees?

Last edited:

sol_bad

how is this even possible?
isn't disney like top10 biggest company in the world while netflix is getting trashed everywhere for his mostly shitty original stuff?

only a couple months of shutdown can get a giant like that on his knees?

It makes logical sense. Majority of Disney's business involves people being "there" and out of the house, a bit hard when the Covid19 pandemic is happening.
Meanwhile, Netflixs entire business structure involves people staying at home.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It makes logical sense. Majority of Disney's business involves people being "there" and out of the house, a bit hard when the Covid19 pandemic is happening.
Meanwhile, Netflixs entire business structure involves people staying at home.
yeah but i never thought that a couple of months were enough to destroy the gigantic difference between the 2 company.

i mean don't get me wrong, i'm happy if disney get fucked in the ass without lube 😆

Last edited:

sol_bad

yeah but i never thought that a couple of months were enough to destroy the gigantic difference between the 2 company.

i mean don't get me wrong, i'm happy if disney get fucked in the ass without lube 😆

Have no fear, Disney will be way on top by end of year.

Kadayi

Banned
Bob Iger got out just at the right time. I pity that Parks Stooge who's taken over having to deal with both the increasing mediocrity of the upcoming Phase 4 of the MCU, plus the ongoing trainwreck of KKs creatively bankrupt captaining of the Star Wars IP. I dare say Disney will bounce back, but I'm not convinced they're in a good position at the moment creatively.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned

While what you say isn't untrue in general, it's an extremely misguided thing to say in this scenario. Disney does MANY TIMES more revenue and profit than Netflix. Not only that, they have significant assets in IPs, parks, etc. All of this stuff brings in big money on merchandise, memberships, DVDs, etc. And now they are doing streaming. Right now, some of those parks and whatnot are being seen as a liability since they are not making money. Are you calling that the need for adaptation because some wildly successful parks are closed due to a pandemic? Meanwhile, Netflix brings in $10 a month from its average user, and this is somehow a bigger business?

At the end of the day, these valuations are crazy off. To be fair, I admire Netflix's resiliency through all of their hardships. I don't care for a lot of Disney's practices. However, even the thought that Netflix should be "worth more" is beyond crazy.

Top Bottom