• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's new movie Don't Look Up

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
sarcastic laugh GIF

It isnt funny?

Netflix just has too much money to burn. Didn't they just give Ruin Johnson $800 mil for more of his shitty Clue Rip-offs.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I enjoyed the movie, it reminds me of Idiocracy.
I think critics are being too harsh with the reception of the movie, movies are meant to explore the absurd scenario of the world and such circumstances taken to the extreme, not everything has to be a critical cerebral masterpiece. For what it is and exploring societies absurdities, this movie definitely touches on those points. Societies bar is pretty damn low. If people are looking to postpone the pandemic by not taking the shot, people are more likely to deny an earth killing asteroid.

FrankCaron

We watched it last night, and while there's so many really strong ingredients, it feels like the final product is lacking in execution. The editing and pacing were really weird in certain points and some of the satire was let down by the writing; the script has this sort of air of "I think I'm smarter than I actually am". Ironically, it was in the more earnest moments — the non-satirical ones, like
the dinner at the end
— that the movie actually hits some kind of chord.

Alas, like Idiocracy and The Social Dilemma, the satire will be lost on those who need to understand it the most.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The real comedy is watching overpaid, overprivileged, rich people tell the rest of us how we need to change our lives to "save the planet" while swanning between gigs in private jets...

The irony is that they are actually in an economic position to make some small difference*, but I highly doubt that's a consideration high on their list when they invest/hide/spend their fortunes.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

*As opposed to the billions of the rest of us, who really don't.

Atrus

Gold Member
I’m almost done but the movie is supposed to be a satirical future look at how events might play out (as opposed to The Big Short’s satirical retrospective) but quickly boils down to the comical/sad character drama of Leo and JLaw.

For instance, they do that same thing in the beginning of pausing and outlining that Department of Asteroid whatever but that was pretty much the start and end of doing that in the film.

We don’t really get a good dystopian comedy in the vein of Idiocracy to the point we’re completely disturbed at how true to life the scenario is given how under-developed some characters are (3-star general, tech billionaire) or how distractingly hyperbolized others are (Trump/Kushner stand-ins).

A part of that is due to the fact that The Big Short had a look at an American problem that impacted the world while in this one, a giant asteroid is a global issue but this film disregards that and makes it an Armageddon spoof.

There’s supposed to be parallels to the indifference of Climate Change but I don’t really see it. You’d probably have to be part of the predominantly white Extinction Rebellion to snap your fingers and point to this film as being “so true”.

I’ve enjoyed it so far in the sense it doesn’t turn me off with anything and I’m interested to see whether the asteroid hits earth and what develops, but it’s more in the vein of a really expensive Iron Sky with Hollywood stars at every turn.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I got a few chuckles out of this movie.

You could have shaven some 20 to 30 minutes off screen time though and cut to the chase a lot more. Somehow many of the scenes in the movie were both bloated and superficial at the same time. I'm not from the US so some of the political points flew over my head like an asteroid.

This movie reminded me a bit of Melancholia which I think is the better film.

It seems Don't Look Up might have gotten inspiration from a real life asteroid called Didymos.

niilokin

we watched this on christmas eve and it was annoyingly bad 90% of the time but jennifer lawrence with the weird haircut was still hot and cate blanchett looked nice too

i know it was trying to play satire on current day USA but still made it look like whole world is about the US, didnt understand why the hell

Last edited:
Watched it last night and it felt soooo long. We had to check the run time to see that there was still 30 minutes left. At least the ending was satisfactory for 2-3 minutes 😄

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I liked the film a lot, it's a bit long but overall it's a very good proposition, not for everyone however.
The scene of the meal at the end is very, very well done. And the OST is *chef's kiss*

Last edited:

MastAndo

I didn't think it was bad at all. The Idiocracy vibes were strong, and I thought some moments were pretty damn hilarious - particularly the one where Leo and Jennifer Lawrence first appear on The Daily Rip and the hosts downplay the whole life-altering segment with smarmy one liners compared to how seriously they took the celebrity breakup segment just before it. It's a pretty funny satire of the banality of a large segment of American media culture right now. Sure, there are not so thinly-veiled Trump barbs, but I didn't find the point expressing that political gain is always king to be a partisan one.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yo this movie was fucking hilarious...

I didn't know Subaru made telescopes

I can see people (self important jerkoffs) not being receptive because it makes light and jokes about serious and real problems in our society

sorry the movie went completely over your head op!

Yoboman

I liked it

It really hit the nail on the head with how absurd our current world is. Things we should all agree on are political grenades and profit reigns supreme

Its all on the nose but that doesn't stop it being less true

And yeah Cate Blanchett is smoking hot in this

Yoboman

The real comedy is watching overpaid, overprivileged, rich people tell the rest of us how we need to change our lives to "save the planet" while swanning between gigs in private jets...

The irony is that they are actually in an economic position to make some small difference*, but I highly doubt that's a consideration high on their list when they invest/hide/spend their fortunes.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

*As opposed to the billions of the rest of us, who really don't.
The movie was a critique of those in positions of power and politicians - not condemning individuals

Yoboman

I liked it. It is probably what would happen if a massive asteroid was heading to earth.

It’s a metaphor towards trump style politics, capitalism, social media, etc etc. Yeah it’s not the greatest film ever but it’s entertaining so yeah watch it.
I didn't get an anti Trump vibe. The President was as much a Hilary Clinton stand in as a Trump one, even having a picture with Bill on her desk. And they took some minor shots at the Fox equivalent but way more on the CNN equivalent

Kimahri

Banned
I lilrd it, but it's just way too long. 2,5 hours for this? If they'd trim it down to 2 hours or less I'm sure it would hsve been much more enjoysble.

Despite some faults, I liked it. I agree with the folks saying it felt like a general satire of the modern condition and not of *political group* in particular. I also agree with the folks saying it felt a little meandering and like it lost the plot midway through. Even so, I liked the ending where they make small talk at dinner, it seemed like a very human way to handle the situation. I also liked how they never forced a romantic relationship between the two main characters, I was dreading that but thankfully it never came.

Favorite part was the guy who is being interviewed on TV wearing the pin that he explains takes no political stance. He starts waxing poetic about how people are so wrapped up in taking sides and he doesn’t want to participate in that, which is why he’s here promoting his popcorn movie disaster flick 😂

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The movie was a critique of those in positions of power and politicians - not condemning individuals

Don't take my comment as a critique of the movie so much as an explanation as to why I have ZERO interest in watching it.

I'm just sick of the endless proselytizing, especially when its fronted by people who are just famous or pretty - as if that gives them the eminence and intellectual heft to weigh in on these big subjects.

If Covid and everything surrounding it has proven one thing to me, its never to take a single perspective or source of information as the complete truth. You can't simply trust "the science" because the scientific community doesn't speak with one voice. There's obviously an orthodox position, but that tends to be shaped by politics, and politics are infinitely corruptible.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I liked it

It really hit the nail on the head with how absurd our current world is. Things we should all agree on are political grenades and profit reigns supreme

Its all on the nose but that doesn't stop it being less true

And yeah Cate Blanchett is smoking hot in this
She really is in this movie. Holy shit.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I liked it and boy that ending… went all marvel with the after credit shit.

I did watch while playing destiny so that might have helped.

Crying Rivers

Neo Member
Overall I liked it and feel like it's unique and funny enough to justify its existence.

I felt some of the satire was a bit on the nose and targetted at too easy of targets. Would have liked if celebrities and partisan media got a bit more attention.

Relique

Thought it was unique and reminded me a bit of idiocracy. Unfortunately most jokes didn't hit for me. It also felt like it ran a bit long and I felt compelled to skip around to get past some of the slower parts. It picked up towards the end and finished strong. It was okay but judging by the 7.3 imdb score, I didn't like it as much as other people did.

TheMan

I liked it. The frustration the researchers felt in trying to get the president to act was just palpable, but the juxtaposition with the comedic aspects of the films is where things fall a bit flat. Still watchable. 6/10

Oh if anyone wants a more appropriately depressing take on a similar scenario, watch Melancholia.

Last edited:

RaduN

A bit too long, but definitely worth a watch.
Leo is absolutely fantastic in this. The best thing about it, is how shocking yet shockingly familiar the absurdity of everything is.
One of the better movies i've seen lately,

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
where the line is blurred for me is does cate blanchette actually look like that now or is she wearing prosthetic for the movie? ಠಿ_ಠ

MastaKiiLA

I think I laughed a few times and enjoyed it. It’s not ground breaking but it’s ok. Also Cate Blanchett in that role holy shot is she hot.
Blanchett has some roles where she looks stunning, and this is one of those. I too enjoyed the film. Some laughs, and while the story would've seemed outlandish a few years ago, since COVID, it makes for good satire.

Konnor

The movie lacked any subtlety and was so on the nose that it often became a cringefest. We got the message the first time, you're either an idiot or you think your audience are idiots with obvious slogans like "Don't look up" and the awful scenes that followed. As per usual with Netflix movies it was just mediocre.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Holy hell I couldn't even finish it. Was absolute garbage. No subtlety whatsoever. Just a circle jerk for folks to pat themselves on the back on how smart and 'good' they are compared to everyone else since they take climate change / covid seriously.

Hard pass.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Have not and will not watch, but I enjoyed Kyle Smith's scathing review:

McKay evidently has a bad case of Veep envy and tries hard to imitate that show’s zip and barbed cynicism, but nothing he writes (in a script coauthored with leftist writer David Sirota) would have made it out of the writer’s room on that show. McKay’s idea of a cutting gag is to have a Rush Limbaugh/Fox News type insist, as the world is about to end, “There’s only one story everyone’s talking about tonight: topless urgent-care centers!” The way McKay keeps teeing up watermelon-sized targets and then flailing away as ineffectually as a blindfolded toddler fills me with pity rather than anything else.

Top Bottom