• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BLACK screenies

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Gaijin To Ronin said:
IMO Guerrilla still has to prove they can develop good games. Their concepts are great and there is some solid artistic values on their works, but they are not very good with gameplay. I can´t compare properly both games, but I´m sure BLACK will be not only more technically advanced than Killzone (1), but, at least, much more fun.
When you hear about a Criterion game, you know that it will be fun, but its not the same with Guerrilla. Killzone looks very nice, but from what I have heard, the gameplay isnt very good. With Black, not only does the game look good but there have already been posative things said about the gameplay.

Okami is for 2006 as well I believe. I need to see more of Black to form an opinion, but the concept sounds good. I wonder how much focus will be put on story, not that it is the main factor of a good game but I enjoy a compelling story when appropriate. The action should be great but the setup could make it that much better. We'll see.

Acosta

When you hear about a Criterion game, you know that it will be fun, but its not the same with Guerrilla. Killzone looks very nice, but from what I have heard, the gameplay isnt very good. With Black, not only does the game look good but there have already been posative things said about the gameplay.

Killzone is the typical case of a game that looks great, that have a solid idea and talented people behind it, but didn´t get enough time or enough resources to make it what it could have been. I think that with some months more of developing, it could have been something incredible, because there are very interesting ideas and a world with a conflict that is worth to play and care about it.

The difference here is that Criterion is a stablished studio with endless resources now they are in EA. Guerrilla is almost a rookie with too much pressure on them, so the confidence in one and aonther can´t be the same.

The game sounds like one huge adrenaline rush. I mean every media outlet that has got a choice to play this spoke very highly of it. We just have to see it in motion.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Gaijin To Ronin said:
Killzone is the typical case of a game that looks great, that have a solid idea and talented people behind it, but didn´t get enough time or enough resources to make it what it could have been. I think that with some months more of developing, it could have been something incredible, because there are very interesting ideas and a world with a conflict that is worth to play and care about it.

The difference here is that Criterion is a stablished studio with endless resources now they are in EA. Guerrilla is almost a rookie with too much pressure on them, so the confidence in one and aonther can´t be the same.
Well, its only a matter of time before a big publisher comes and backs Guerrilla to make an AAA title, the potentiol is there, but its just as you said, its difficult for them without backing.

I wasnt actually too interested in Black, the graphics were very good but it just looked like another FPS, but the amound of posative comments this game is getting indicates that it must be something special. Will this be playable at TGS or is it even going to be there?

shpankey

not an idiot
The gameplay (from Jeff's description) sounds really fun... but I'm with some of the others, I'm not really wow'ed by any of the graphics. Perhaps after I see it live and in motion it will hit me harder.

Acosta

Well, its only a matter of time before a big publisher comes and backs Guerrilla to make an AAA title, the potentiol is there, but its just as you said, its difficult for them without backing.

They have Sony. I believe is not about resources, they just need time and tranquility and of course they don´t need crunch times to release it as soon as possible (but sadly, when more unexperienced as studio you are, harder are the conditions of publishers in most cases, just the contrary as it should work).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OT: No that game sucks because isn't even the shadow of the original, btw H:CE had better textures
It blows your mind?

I thought it was pretty damn obvious. The new techniques they employed for textures required more layers. More layers mean more memory. The XBOX limitations resulted in lower resolution appearance.

one more

black0103cn.jpg

terrene

Banned
joaomgcd said:
My god, that is hot. The latter-day Xbox games are just incredible looking. I saw someone playing Battlefield 2 in EB yesterday and my jaw dropped. I've never owned an Xbox. Makes me excited for the 360 -- here's hoping there's a little backwards compatibility.

Gek54

That shot alone shits all over killzone imo. I cant get over how people look at this level of distruction and scream "generic". wtf.

Gek54 said:
That shot alone shits all over killzone imo. I cant get over how people look at this level of distruction and scream "generic". wtf.

Knowing Criterion and framerates, if it's 60fps it's going to be spectacular in motion. 60fps first person shooters are like a rarity on consoles especially if it looks this good.

FiRez

dark10x said:
It blows your mind?

I thought it was pretty damn obvious. The new techniques they employed for textures required more layers. More layers mean more memory. The XBOX limitations resulted in lower resolution appearance.

That's part of the problem, they should keep optimizing the existing one instead of creating a new engine from the scratch, maybe in that way the SP and the gameplay wouldn't be so subpar, because they could have more time to create a campaign mode and the core gameplay wouldn't be so compromised.....but yeah what do I know? is just wishful speculation :(

dark10x

FiRez said:
That's part of the problem, they should keep optimizing the existing one instead of creating a new engine from the scratch, maybe in that way the SP and the gameplay wouldn't be so subpar, because they could have more time to create a campaign mode and the core gameplay wouldn't be so compromised.....but yeah what do I know? is just wishful speculation :(
It wasn't subpar, but let's not argue that right now...

Look at the very first teaser trailer shown for the game. They were clearly aiming for a "Doom 3-like" renderer. Problem is, the XBOX clearly was not up to something like that on such a large scale. Riddick managed to pull it off by keeping the environments small and simple. I think they were aiming too high for the hardware and they couldn't really turn back due to time constraints.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
terrene said:
My god, that is hot. The latter-day Xbox games are just incredible looking. I saw someone playing Battlefield 2 in EB yesterday and my jaw dropped. I've never owned an Xbox. Makes me excited for the 360 -- here's hoping there's a little backwards compatibility.
I think these screens are from PS2 rev. At least that's the only version demoed so far.

I've heard the demo at E3 had some problems. The destruction animation was pre-canned, so no matter if you threw the granade in the building or next to it, the windows shattering animation and smoke flying out would be the same.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Actually I think those ones have been taken from the Xbox version but I rather don't discuss why, I don't want to see the forum explode with another criterion-ps2 vs criterion-xbox discussion =P

dark10x

Funky Papa said:
Actually I think those ones are taken from the Xbox version but I rather don't say why, I don't want to see the forum explode with another criterion-ps2 vs criterion-xbox discussion =P
Well, we couldn't exactly make judgement at this point.

I'll be curious to see if we have another Burnout situation, where the PS2 version ends up looking better overall (with slightly worse image quality).

I'm just tired of seeing a new batch of vague screenshots for this game every couple of months. What is EA and Criterion hiding? Why the hell won't they show this game to the general public? I want video dammit, since supposdely that's what this game is all about (Probably more BS though).

Beowvlf

Banned
I've heard and read rumors (I think EGM a few months ago, among others; IGN maybe too) that Black not only looked better on the PS2 versus the Xbox, but also ran smoother due to the PS2 being the lead SKU and Criterion's massive knowledge of the hardware, utilizing many of the PS2's specific strengths (sorta like MGS2 on the PS2 versus the Xbox).

Has anyone else heard these rumors? Anyone know if there is any truth to them? I know Burnout is somewhat like that (I got BO3 for my PS2 instead of my Box), so I'm wondering if this will be as well.

Heian-kyo said:
I've heard and read rumors (I think EGM a few months ago, among others; IGN maybe too) that Black not only looked better on the PS2 versus the Xbox, but also ran smoother due to the PS2 being the lead SKU and Criterion's massive knowledge of the hardware, utilizing many of the PS2's specific strengths (sorta like MGS2 on the PS2 versus the Xbox).

Has anyone else heard these rumors? Anyone know if there is any truth to them? I know Burnout is somewhat like that (I got BO3 for my PS2 instead of my Box), so I'm wondering if this will be as well.

Perhaps, I recalled long ago that Criterion was working on this FPS well before we heard there was going to a Xbox version in the mix, heck that's pratically all we knew then, that they were making a PS2 FPS, no one had a clue on what it looked like untill this year. This was well before Criterion was a part of EA.

typhonsentra said:
I'm just tired of seeing a new batch of vague screenshots for this game every couple of months. What is EA and Criterion hiding? Why the hell won't they show this game to the general public? I want video dammit, since supposdely that's what this game is all about (Probably more BS though).

the game isn't due for almost a year, there is no hurry to start up any kind of hype train yet. Plus, the say gamers will declare a game as "shit" from a little 5 second video, i don't blame developers from holding media back until the last possible second.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Jeff-DSA said:
Don't count on it. This game is focused primarily on the single-player mode. In fact, there might not even be a multiplayer mode from what Alex was saying.

awesome. im tired of games fosucing on multiplayer aspects.. and crippling the single player game

Top Bottom