• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New F.E.A.R. video

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'll mirror if I manage to download it...
Edit: Dling now.
Edit2: 10 kbytes/s, this will take some time...

Yeah, the beta was pretty damn fun. I remember once, I was walking down a hall, when I see a guy go sprinting down the hall that I'm going towards through the door frame...As he passes my field of vision through the door frame comes along another guy mid-air, about to drop kick the runner in the back. It was pretty damn cool to see.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That looks really damn cool, however, I am still a bit worried...

You may laugh at my constant bashing of Monolith's technology efforts, but for me, they all hold true. I've never been able to simply load up a new Lith FPS and straight enjoy it. They always have serious technical and performance issues that get in the way. With all the newer technology, I'm even more worried. I don't want to go through another Half-Life 2, where I found myself tweaking the game so much that it managed to disrupt my initial experience. I'm on a 3.6 GHz P4 + 6800 + 1gb ram, but I don't know if that will be enough. Basically, the content seems appealing, but I fear that the delivery of the content will suffer due to technical problems. They've never given me any reason to trust them, so I will have to wait and see.

As for the game itself, it looks great. However, they still haven't figured out how to properly convey solid character movement. Every one of their games suffer from "light character" movement, where it feels as if there is no real weight to your actual movements. It's difficult to explain, but it is very bothersome. The weapon movements also play a role in this. The animation is jerky when walking and looking around. It reminds me of the weapon movement in Deus Ex IW, which was terrible. The way in which you climb stairs looks very poor as well, with the nasty camera snapping as you climb upwards. Also notice the way you stop and start. Everything just sort of snaps into place in a very quick and jerky fashion. Basically, they have done a terrible job with camera motions and weight. For a game with such a seemingly cinematic presentation, this is a big problem.

Now, everything else seems very slick so far.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I played FEAR at both GDC and E3. Its hard to remember now, but I think I enjoyed the E3 demo more because it was a bit more challenging and I got my ass kicked a couple of times. And it was also cooler because the "time-distortion" effect was fully implemented in the E3 demo and it was cool to shoot bad guys in slo-mo and watch the physics do their thing.

I can't wait until this finally comes out, its been a while since I've played anything from Monolith. I'm also looking forward to Condemned, but not as anticipated because a lot of its gameplay hasn't been talked about or shown and its E3 demo was just running (ie. walking very slow) around and bashing people.

Top Bottom