• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout thirst is real since the TV show success, what should be done?

How would you manage the demand for 'new' fallout content?

• Total voters
I disagree with this so much. I love Fallout 1 and 2 as well, first played them so long ago. I still love the off beat writing, the strangely funny descriptions and narrations and floating text, and I love so much about the vibe and atmosphere of these games.

That being said....they have aged terribly. There are so many things that can be improved, hell even with just the speed and utility of the U.I. It's clunky and antiquated in a way that could be fixed up without removing anything from the experience. I'm not even saying to make them first person, they're fine from a design standpoint, in fact they're outstanding, but they deserve modern remakes that remove a lot of friction from the experience.

A remake in the vein of Diablo II Resurrected I can live with, but I don't see it happening in the current zeitgeist. There's just not enough money to be made with faitful remakes for MS/Beth.

Alebrije

Let them cook Fallout 5 slowly so it is well done SO they can deliver something good and not a souless game like Fallout 4. Really hope F5 resembles New Vegas, the Best 3D Fallout released.

Meanwhile you can play Stalker 2 this year.

Sethbacca

I can't imagine that remaking Fallout 1 and 2 would even be all that hard given modern development tools. A dedicated studio could probably knock this shit out in no time, the hardest part would be creating the art assets. (Just re-making classic style with new art assets and everything, not reimagining as a 3d rpg like modern Fallouts to be clear)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They should’ve thought about this when they started planning the TV Show. Even if they get a new team to make a new Fallout it’ll take minimum 5 years to get it released unless they stress it into something nobody wants to play.

The IP has always been popular, and the new people the show has introduced to the IP will still be alive and kicking.

Even if a new game shows up in 4 - 5 years time, it’ll still be well received. Especially if the show continues to get more seasons.

While I'd love to see Fallout 5, I'd rather Bethesda stick to their current development schedule, and finish ES6.

Judging by Starfield, they need all the time in the kitchen to cook.

That said, let another studio remake the originals, fully modernized, so a new generation of gamers can experience them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If Microsoft was run by competent people, they would have had a remaster of Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas ready when the show dropped. They've had the IP for over 3 years now. No reason these shouldn't be available.

Fredrik

The IP has always been popular, and the new people the show has introduced to the IP will still be alive and kicking.

Even if a new game shows up in 4 - 5 years time, it’ll still be well received. Especially if the show continues to get more seasons.
Ah yeah didn’t think about that, would be perfect to release a game synced with a new season.

Wildebeest

Microsoft should buy the only major independent western RPG studio left for ten billion dollars and force them to make a terrible rushed tie in game in under one year, wiping out all the value of their purchase overnight. Trust me, I'm an expert on business and gaming, and this is the right move.

mitchman

Gold Member
Does Bethesda even own the rights to Fallout 1-2? I know they bought the francise from a different company and didn't make those games themselves, but are they even in a position to remake them?

poodaddy

A remake in the vein of Diablo II Resurrected I can live with, but I don't see it happening in the current zeitgeist. There's just not enough money to be made with faitful remakes for MS/Beth.
I can see what you're saying. That being said, turn based games are enjoying something of a social upturn right now due to Baldur's Gate 3, and the same can be said for Fallout as an IP due to the show. Combine those factors, and a "Resurrection" type Fallout 1 and 2 could really see a complete adoption by a particular segment of the gaming community if it was done right.....which, I don't know if I have any faith in Bethesda doing it right. It'd be amazing if they got a more technically competent studio on that project, as I truly believe it has the potential to not only sell well, but it could even lead to something of an invigoration of the IP itself, and perhaps we could get different types of Fallout games for different types of fans moving forward. Imagine if the numbered entries, (for obvious reasons), were the big budget first person titles, but every three or four years we get a great side Fallout entry that's isometric and turn based. That could be an incredible direction for the series to head towards moving forward, and I believe it'd be very profitable.

Probably won't happen, but I'd love that future.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Marketing stunts?

Toys?

puke GIF

Considering the whole franchise is a "what if" scenario of unrestrained capitalism and greed that led to the Great War that will for sure be something.
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Top Bottom