• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Also, neither will have waterproofing.

This settles it. Definitely going for iPhone 8 now. It was a nice few years with Android. My god, is a well-designed waterproof phone with Google tuned software too much to ask?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/26/pixel-2-detials-smartphone-android-google/

Taimen, the device that will likely succeed the Pixel XL, will feature a 5.99-inch screen with 1440p OLED panel sourced from LG (according to Android Police, Google had planned to release three Pixel smartphones this year, but had scrapped one of them, “Muskie,” partway through development).

The bezels on the screen are said to be smaller than the ones found on the Pixel XL. That said, Taimen reportedly features the same two-tone and metal finish of its predecessor. One notable change is that the glass window found on the Pixel XL doesn’t enclose the rear-facing fingerprint sensor on Taimen. Internally, the phone is said to feature a Snapdragon 835 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 128GB internal storage option and a single rear-facing camera with dual LED flash.

According to XDA‘s source, the design of Walleye is “almost identical” to the original Pixel, large screen bezels and all. The one major change is that the device will reportedly feature stereo speakers at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack. Otherwise, it’s mostly a spec upgrade, with a Snapdragon 835 processor and 4GB of RAM on board.

Sanjuro

Maybe they are going to try keep the cost low? Doesn't really seem like they wanted to go pound for pound with Samsung.

Sad that they aren't going for the midrange phone market anymore. The Nexus 5X was a beaut but of course it had to have hardware defects that made it break down faster than most phones.

Guess it depends on how much you care about waterproofing. I have a Pixel XL. It is the blandest, most uninteresting phone ever, so much so that it's actually quite hard to see in some circumstances, your gaze just slides off it like a sort of inverted Someone Else's Problem field from hitchhiker's guide.

That being said, it's a joy to actually use.

Hari Seldon

I was considering this as well instead of the next iPhone. But not if they drop the 3.5mm plug. If I'm getting a phone without this I'm just going to stick with iPhone. I'm definitely going to be checking out the high end Chinese phones though.

Majine

Banned
Waterproofing is that big of a deal to people?

I mean, I have one, but it wouldn't exactly be a dealbreaker if it didn't.

With those specs and coming out end of the year with humongous bezels and no waterproofing they better price it at Nexus levels again.

S8, iPhone 8 and OP5 are the phones to get this year.

LordOfChaos

Notably, XDA does not mention some often-requested features like waterproofing when it talks about these phones. Moreover, it doesn't mention anything about the phones being thinner.

Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.
They didn't positively confirm it has it, that's all for now.

Also when the 6S went waterproof, they did it without an IP rating or official designation, just added seals without talking about it, could be similar.

I don't really care about a waterproof phone, as I've never had an issue with water before. I just want a phone that is the size of the OG Nexus 5, with all the modern features. Not a fan of the trend of headphone jacks going away either. The first time I lose a pair of more expensive bluetooth headphones will probably be the last time I use my phone as a portable music player. I can't seem to hold on to my normal headphones for more than two or three months without losing them or forgetting them somewhere.

I also want it to not shut off with 30% of the battery left for no reason at all, unlike my Nexus 6P, which might be the worst device I have ever bought.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Would have upgraded from my Pixel if this had waterproofing and smaller bezels. Losing the headphone jack is a dealbreaker.

With those specs and coming out end of the year with humongous bezels and no waterproofing they better price it at Nexus levels again.

S8, iPhone 8 and OP5 are the phones to get this year.

I don't really get OPs "fuck this I'm going Apple" when the iPhones are "water-resistant" and nowhere near Samsung Galaxy models, and they don't have a headphone jack.

If anything OP needs an S8+ (the best phone ever made).

Tregard

Soothsayer
The one major change is that the device will reportedly feature stereo speakers at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack.

giphy.gif

According to XDA‘s source, the design of Walleye is “almost identical” to the original Pixel, large screen bezels and all. The one major change is that the device will reportedly feature stereo speakers at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack.

giphy.gif

This makes no fucking sense, they were bagging on Apple last year for this exact thing.

giga

If Google is going to drop 3.5mm, they need a BT headphone solution as seamless as the airpods. Regular BT earphones aren't nearly as convenient as having something that pairs as easily and automatically turns on and off like the airpods. That's a passable replacement to the simplicity of connecting a wire to your phone.

The first Pixel is still $899 here in Canada so it doesn't really matter what Google does or doesn't do when it's still unaffordable as fuck.

Aesthet1c

Man I was expecting that surely in 2017 the phone would be waterproof and have wireless charging. Those were the main reasons I skipped the first pixel and went for the S8. Add the removal of the headphone jack and yeesh.

Aiii

So not worth it
If Google is going to drop 3.5mm, they need a BT headphone solution as seamless as the airpods. Regular BT earphones aren't nearly as convenient as having something that pairs as easily and automatically turns on and off like the airpods. That's a passable replacement to simplicity of connecting a wire to your phone.

NFC has been a thing for a long time and Apple are dicks for not supporting it on the iPhone, instead opting to reserve it for their own products instead of conforming to the industry standard.

And I say this as an iPhone owner with a 400 USD wireless headset.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I don't really get OPs "fuck this I'm going Apple" when the iPhones are "water-resistant" and nowhere near Samsung Galaxy models, and they don't have a headphone jack.

If anything OP needs an S8+ (the best phone ever made).

Smoothness and performance.

giga

NFC has been a thing for a long time and Apple are dicks for not supporting it on the iPhone, instead opting to reserve it for their own products instead of conforming to the industry standard.

And I say this as an iPhone owner with a 400 USD wireless headset.
OK, any other headphone solutions support what I'm saying?

Aiii

So not worth it
OK, any other headphone solutions support what I'm saying?

Every premium wireless headset has supported NFC for a long time now and every premium and even mid-budget Android phone has an NFC chip as well.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
The one major change is that the device will reportedly feature stereo speakers at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack.
That courage though.

rtcn63

So uh do daydream vr headsets come with a headphone jack? Because if you have to use the one on the phone, and there isn't one on the phone, how will you uh watch videos in privacy for reasons

EDIT: I guess bluetooth headphones are a thing

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
According to XDA‘s source, the design of Walleye is ”almost identical" to the original Pixel, large screen bezels and all. The one major change is that the device will reportedly feature stereo speakers at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack. Otherwise, it's mostly a spec upgrade, with a Snapdragon 835 processor and 4GB of RAM on board.

Fuck off. I was looking forward to a new Pixel. Not anymore.

Top Bottom