• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

Mikef2000

If this is true, then I am glad I went with the S8+. No headphone jack is a dealbreaker for me. I spend much of my day listing to podcasts and taking calls using my wired headset. I don't want the hassle of having to worry about the charge of my bluetooth headphone(I do have a great pair but I use them only for cycling).

Also for some reason, I feel like less of a douche walking around with only one wired headphone bud in my ear( the other is in my pocket because I want to hear my surrounding while walking) than doing that with a bluetooth headset.

I am a fan of waterproofing. Never had to test it, but it's good to know that my phone can take water and possibly survive.

usctrojan

This unconfirmed rumor also settles it for me. I can't stand preparing to buy something in three months or so that may or may not include features that I must have.

NekoFever

I don't mind the dropping of headphone jacks to make room for reduced size, bigger batteries or new hardware because I'm fully on board the Bluetooth headphone train, but getting rid of it to make room for stereo speakers? butwhy.gif indeed.

Alexlf

S8+ it is! Thanks for making it easy Google.

Why the hell is everyone removing headphone jacks though? If I want terrible audio quality a la bluetooth I'll watch 240p youtube rips thanks.

pswii60

So glad I went for the S8. It's my first android phone after years of iPhones and it's also by far the best phone I've ever owned in every aspect. Love it to bits, including the headphone jack!
I don't mind the dropping of headphone jacks to make room for reduced size, bigger batteries or new hardware because I'm fully on board the Bluetooth headphone train, but getting rid of it to make room for stereo speakers? butwhy.gif indeed.
Because otherwise your mainstream outlets will give the phone 4 stars instead of 5 citing 'lacklustre speaker performance compared to rivals', and you know it :(

hohoXD123

Uh...either fix your phone or your eyes. I have both phones and the cameras aren't even close. The Pixel camera runs circles around the S6. Make sure you have your Pixel's camera settings set to the highest resolution (it isn't set that way by default).

No need to be a dick. Most objective measures would favour the Pixel, but some people prefer the excess saturation and sharpness of Samsung cameras.

Sulik2

HTC U11, One Plus and S8 are all better phones then the one Google is making itself. They need to hire some new hardware design teams.

Somnid

He's sort of right. In most objective measures of camera quality the Pixel beats out the S6. You can think otherwise, but then it really is purely subjective and just your "eyes"

You got it backwards. Camera benchmarks are by nature subjective because people look at images to decide if they are good or not, a Gigapixel camera that can capture the IR spectrum is objectively good but it matters little for photography. Specwise, it wasn't a good camera especially because it completely lack ois but they used a lot of software to post process it. The real question is, if I'm paying for a phone, should I be paying for the hardware or the exclusive software?

It gets fairly murky when Android has for a long time touted it's openness and Google used that to gain a competitive advantage to push people into their ecosystem.

Kthulhu

Waterproofing is that big of a deal to people?

I mean, I have one, but it wouldn't exactly be a dealbreaker if it didn't.

Both the Galaxy S7 and the iPhone 7 (and presumably the 7S) have waterproofing. At this point if your releasing a phone it that price range, it should be waterproof.

I hope these rumors aren't true. Unless Android Police confirms it, then I'm gonna remain skeptical.

Takuan

Wouldn't be surprised if true. I like the Pixel, but the asking price is out to lunch. The Pixel 2 isn't going to be any different, and the Pixel would have to drop 50% in price for me to even consider it.

If this is true, then I am glad I went with the S8+. No headphone jack is a dealbreaker for me. I spend much of my day listing to podcasts and taking calls using my wired headset. I don't want the hassle of having to worry about the charge of my bluetooth headphone(I do have a great pair but I use them only for cycling).

Also for some reason, I feel like less of a douche walking around with only one wired headphone bud in my ear( the other is in my pocket because I want to hear my surrounding while walking) than doing that with a bluetooth headset.

I am a fan of waterproofing. Never had to test it, but it's good to know that my phone can take water and possibly survive.

I've been playing with my OP5 for the weekend and I'm thinking of returning it for an S8 / S8+. It's not that the OP5 is a bad phone; I'm just thinking the screen + waterproofing + (slightly) better camera might be worth the premium. I'm still using my OPO primarily since I don't have a case for the 5, and I'm questioning whether the difference in overall experience was really worth $800 CAD.

I've got about 10 more days with this to make a decision.

Audioboxer

lol Google. Unlike Apple, people will genuinely not buy your phone for axing the headphone jack.

Of course, you probably give zero fucks as going and buying another Android handset will still mean people using the Google ecosystem.

S8+ it is! Thanks for making it easy Google.

Why the hell is everyone removing headphone jacks though? If I want terrible audio quality a la bluetooth I'll watch 240p youtube rips thanks.

DRM/getting cuts of money from big business and companies wanting to push stupidly priced BT headsets/Apple did it (and got away with it).

ZOONAMI

If Google is going to drop 3.5mm, they need a BT headphone solution as seamless as the airpods. Regular BT earphones aren't nearly as convenient as having something that pairs as easily and automatically turns on and off like the airpods. That's a passable replacement to the simplicity of connecting a wire to your phone.

BT pairing is already seemless with a device that has already been paired. I have solo 3s and had an iPhone 7+ (now have a G6) and the x chip is the most overhyped thing ever. And yeah NFC already did this years ago to even simplify initial pairing. Typical apple "innovation."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but as someone who bounces between Galaxy phones and the Nexus/Pixel I find yours somewhat surprising. Samsung android is fucking shit.
The S8 is pretty good UI wise. I think they unbloat the phones with each iteration (skin wise). I came from mostly Nexus phones to an S8 and I don't miss stock at all. Touchwiz isn't as bad as it was.

Somnid

Not everyone has adopted it yet, so it very well could.

It's not. USB audio and Bluetooth 5 are both extremely new and so there's a gap to cross, but they represent a boon for hardware makers, headphone makers and audiophiles as well as most flagships are dropping headphone ports so there's no stopping this train. Find your peace soon.

Z3M0G

I was wondering what people were talking about when they say "bezel" and them being too large... had to google it...

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

This is a bad thing? What, really??

If they were gone completely, how the fuck am I supposed to game on it with my thumbs while holding it sideways? How the fuck am I supposed to reach the bottom of the screen with my thumb while holding it upright with one hand?

What kinds of alien hands do you people have??

ArchAngel

If they were gone completely, how the fuck am I supposed to game on it with my thumbs while holding it sideways? How the fuck am I supposed to reach the bottom of the screen with my thumb while holding it upright with one hand?

Exactly what I think, but hey, it's sooooo cool right now to be in the anti-bezel-team!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't really get OPs "fuck this I'm going Apple" when the iPhones are "water-resistant" and nowhere near Samsung Galaxy models, and they don't have a headphone jack.

If anything OP needs an S8+ (the best phone ever made).

iPhone 7 was rated IP67 and by virtually every test run on it equivalent to IP68. So presumably they will just go ahead and get the 8 certified IP68. By all tests it is every bit as waterproof as Samsung.

Exactly what I think, but hey, it's sooooo cool right now to be in the anti-bezel-team!

The argument is (rightfully)... why have bezels? Up to now we've been mostly limited to screen fabrication that worked best with rectangular screens, and because we need speakers, front facing cameras, buttons, etc.. you use bezels.

but now we are at a point where screen fabrication and modern OSes allow us to have non-rectangular screens, buttons can be simulated with the screens, sensors can be insides the screens, etc. There's no longer any point to bezels in high end phones (cost being the only reason for them in lower priced phones)

It's not that people have weird hands.. it's that there's no reason to not have the entire front of the device a screen.

Audioboxer

I was wondering what people were talking about when they say "bezel" and them being too large... had to google it...

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

It's not a bad thing, but cosmetically it can look pleasing with smaller bezels

QPOnuBi.jpg

Functionality wise it can allow larger screens without making phones stupid sizes for people with smaller hands/not wanting to carry a "laptop" in their pockets.

ZOONAMI

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

Check out and LG G6 in store. You will be amazed.

Kinyou

Finally, stereo loudpseakers on a phone. I'm sure a lot more people are going to use those than a heqdphone jack

/s

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
" the design of Walleye is “almost identical” to the original Pixel, large screen bezels and all."

Welp
Nope.

I'm not fussed about the lack of water resistance as half the time it ends in tears anyway but the bezel needs to die a horrible death.

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

I have an S80 in my hand right now and can't figure out what you are complaining about. I am holding it sideways and cradling the phone with my hand and pinky fingers. My thumbs easily reach all four corners of the screen.

In vertical I can still reach the corners with my thumbs.

How tiny are your hands?

linkboy

My Nexus 6P is still running great, but I might move to a Pixel XL with the Pixel 2 releases and drops the Pixel in price.

I honestly don't care about the headphone port as I've moved to Bluetooth, and my car has Bluetooth support (Ford Sync).

Rookhelm

If I wanted an android phone that came with very little or no bloatware, what could I get?

I'm on AT&T, btw.

Also, i'd like a phone with a good camera, too.

Right now I have the s7 edge (I got through AT&T), and there's so much crap installed on it that I can't remove. After a year now, the UI has slowed to a crawl when trying to open stuff.

Avixph

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

Have you not seen the Samsung Galaxy S8/ S8+?
mnat2y2.jpg

Here they are compared to the Google Pixel.
Bcze80X.jpg

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but as someone who bounces between Galaxy phones and the Nexus/Pixel I find yours somewhat surprising. Samsung android is fucking shit.

I can customize software, but underwhelming hardware cannot be changed.

Wireless charging, microsd, waterproof, and nicer/larger screens are way more important to me than having stock Android.

So the 6P is the pinnacle of the Nexus/Pixel design, just like I thought back in January when I switched back to the iPhone.

Shame.

linkboy

If I wanted an android phone that came with very little or no bloatware, what could I get?

I'm on AT&T, btw.

Also, i'd like a phone with a good camera, too.

Right now I have the s7 edge (I got through AT&T), and there's so much crap installed on it that I can't remove. After a year now, the UI has slowed to a crawl when trying to open stuff.

The Nexus 6P, if you can find one new, is still a good phone. I'd stay away from a used one due to the battery shutdown issue that's happening to older models.

I picked up a new 128GB a few months ago for $425 and it's working great.

The Pixel (and Pixel XL) are good as well, just a bit overpriced though.

I was considering this as well instead of the next iPhone. But not if they drop the 3.5mm plug. If I'm getting a phone without this I'm just going to stick with iPhone. I'm definitely going to be checking out the high end Chinese phones though.

This.
What the fuck Google?

Valtýr

I'm still using a Nexus 6P which I just got replaced due to the battery going to crap. I am holding out on replacing it until I see what the next Pixel looks like and if this stuff is true I ain't upgrading to it. It's a real shame Google shitting the bed when it comes to their own device.

I'd be interested in switching to an LG G6+ or one of the other Huawei phones if they ever come to the US.

Staying far away from the Samsung phones.

Kyzer

Banned
trying to change the headphone standard of the world when people use wired headphones for much more than just their phones is really dumb

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

I absolutely cannot go back to big bezel phones after the S8. Such a big difference. It's as big as my 5x was, but with a 5.8 inch screen compared to the 5.2 of the 5x.

Seriously, I have a hard time with bezels now. The s8 ruined everything else for me. Embrace the bezel-less future.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
None of this would matter if it was half the price. They're still hoping the Google name alone will let them compete at the top end and it just isn't happening. They should go back to making Nexus phones.

Kyzer

Banned
None of this would matter if it was half the price. They're still hoping the Google name alone will let them compete at the top end and it just isn't happening. They should go back to making Nexus phones.

You know the top end phones also use top end parts right?

Kthulhu

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

It's a waste of space. Put speakers there or something.

No headphone jack would really be disappointing, especially after Google took the zinger at Apple about headphone jacks last year.

I don't even use the headphone jack in my Pixel XL, but I like having the option in case I do want to use it. The Pixel XL is the best phone I've owned, which includes iPhones, Samsung, Motorolla, and Nexus models. It runs great, the only regret I have is not getting the 128gb version... At the time I wanted to save the money, but because I've got Project Fi and I'm really careful with data, I tend to store a bunch of podcasts and audiobooks on the device, and I wish it didn't get so cramped.

Although I also remember when the Pixel debuted and the early renders, everybody ripped the thing about being DOA and not competitive, etc., and it ended up being one of the best phones ever, with near universal praise, and as far as I know, is still widely in demand.

Edit*
Although FWIW, I miss not having stereospeakers. Used to really like it on my Nexus 6

I just got a Samsung S8 from work. And while it's nice, I feel like I'm going to drop the thing constantly. Just feels horrible in the hand. Still interested in the Pixel 2 for my personal phone. Don't care about waterproofing if I like the rest of the features. Just have to wait and see I guess.

jwk94

who teh fuck needs stereo speakers on a phone? And because of that, no headphone jack? No thanks.

Phones are largely media consumption devices now. Dual, front-firing speakers is a godsend. My Moto X Pure Edition speakers sound far better than the speakers on my friends' Galaxy S8 or iPhone devices because they're at the front. Hell, I've used it as my car stereo since mine is broken and it works just fine. I also use it to listen to music while I'm in the shower.

Dropping the headphone jack is really dumb though. I have bluetooth headphones, so this doesn't really affect me, but I'd still like to have a headphone jack so I don't have to worry.

Top Bottom