• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New IP from Coalition coming 2023, with Gears 6 coming 2024/2025

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

CamHostage

I'm not sure what this "Made in unreal 5 to better become familiar with the tech" means?

Is RandAlThor19 saying they are starting off with a small project in this new IP before committing to a flagship title? Otherwise, I don't know why that would even come up in conversation. UE5 is iterative on UE4, and The Coalition has it for over a year now, they've participated in two UE5 projects already (the Alpha Point project for GDC and for MS/Epic evaluation/feedback services of implementation/optimization on Xbox Series X|S, and then also some work optimizing Matrix Awakens.) The Coalition is as familiar as anybody at this point, and the way to get more familiar is to make something. It seems strange to me that they'd need some kind of workout project.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this "Made in unreal 5 to become familiar with the tech" means?

Is RandAlThor19 saying they are starting off with a small project in this new IP before committing to a flagship title? Otherwise, I don't know why that would even come up in conversation. UE5 is iterative on UE4, and The Coalition has it for over a year now, they've participated in two UE5 projects already (the Alpha Point project for GDC and for MS/Epic in terms of evaluation/feedback for implementation on Xbox Series X|S, and then also some work optimizing Matrix Awakens.) They're as familiar as anybody at this point, and the way to get more familiar is to make something.

Yeah, Lumen and Nanite are just plug n play, and the others like you said, with animation, audio and the new world partion are just iterations.

It's not stuff that would take a new IP to learn. They're probably just doing it because they want to make something new

I like Gears but I hope so , always thought before the studio buying spree that having three of your small selection of major first party studios dedicated to one IP was a poor move.

Personally I’d like them to try a full on RPG at some point or have a license like Sony has with Marvel perhaps DC something like that.

Last edited:

hevy007

Banned
Yeah, Lumen and Nanite are just plug n play, and the others like you said, with animation, audio and the new world partion are just iterations.

It's not stuff that would take a new IP to learn. They're probably just doing it because they want to make something new
Its absolutely new stuff to learn, it isn't plug and play like you just throw stuff in and ship it .How does the core technology work under the hood, how do our existing tools integrate within that new tech, how do we optimize and still get the fidelity we want. where/what are the limitations beyond what we currently know and how does it impact our pipeline/timeline. Do we fix things ourselves or wait for epic, if we do it ourselves we have to have a thorough understanding of the code so our branch isn't too different from Epics eventual optimizations so we can still pull those optimizations when required etc etc....

Its absolutely new stuff to learn, it isn't plug and play like you just throw stuff in and ship it .How does the core technology work under the hood, how do our existing tools integrate within that new tech, how do we optimize and still get the fidelity we want. where/what are the limitations beyond what we currently know and how does it impact our pipeline/timeline. Do we fix things ourselves or wait for epic, if we do it ourselves we have to have a thorough understanding of the code so our branch isn't too different from Epics eventual optimizations so we can still pull those optimizations when required etc etc....

With Lumen you litterally just add the sunlight and volumetrics to your scene and you're done.

Same with Nanite. The optimisation process is the exact same as with UE4

World partition, again just iterative on world composition. The workflow, is again, the same

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I can only imagine how crazy the next gears will look. The wait gap is probably needed too. Time to come up with fresh ideas for the franchise without changing its core gameplay. Hive busters was amazing.

CamHostage

Well, "Plug n Play" is a little oversimplifying, but yeah, that's kind of where I was going with what I was saying.

In the UE5 interface, it can be as "simple" as flipping a toggle to turn on Nanite and Lumen for use on various surfaces and models and scenes. If you know UE4, you don't need to relearn everything again, because all those fundamentals are inside UE5. However, to actually build a level around the idea of utilizing virtualized geometry and light it fully with dynamic indirect lighting and without cubemaps and to get the maximum out of these new capabilities and (and to scale back where UE5 and this gen of consoles/PCs can't keep up with your first attempts, and to deal with all this in compatibility and techstack migration and optimization, while dealing with the first iteration of fledgling new technology systems introduced to UE) with perhaps even a wholly overhauled approach to stage design (maybe? hopefully? some day?), all that would take some getting used to...

...But. if you need to learn how to use Unreal Engine, Gears has literally been the game to do that on in the past. It's why Gears 1 exists.

So, I don't know what that could be, or if I would take that comment seriously as part of the rumor. Not unless maybe they had some new idea that was somehow all about lighting or that had tremendously expansive environments and played with scale constantly (whatever either of those ideas might be?,) Or maybe if they just had an idea for a quick project to work on since a new Gears would be a massive undertaking (although "quick" would be loosely applied if it took them from 2020 to 2023 to make it...) Not many of the ideas coming to mind feel like "become familiar with the tech" projects for The Coalition, Microsoft's premier studio for Unreal Engine technology, a closely-affiliated office with Epic Games, and one of the leading "Show me what you can do" offices in the Xbox Studios family. They're big dogs on the Xbox block. Gamers are expecting games from them, as soon as humanly possible.

(*NOTE: I've commented before I've actually had a chance to listen to the whole podcast, which is a crummy "get your takes in fast" way to respond to a thread. Somebody correct me where I'm wrong, but there's only bits of info in there about this that I've heard so far.)

Last edited:

Concern

Please no open world gears. I couldn't finish 5 because of that. And I've completed all of them on insane.

This sounds smart honestly. Gears is not that compelling as an IP these days but it does have a legacy of pushing graphics. So with Unreal 5 being new it makes sense.

And I seriously would much rather see a new IP from them. Its fine to start smaller so you don't waste 5 years. Gears is not the IP it once was. Epic sold it at the right time.

Iced Arcade

In the meantime put a comic out, kill Kate and the remaining kids and let's get back to Marcus as the main character.

Nobody wanted to play as spartan Locke when playing Halo, no one wants to play as JD/Kate in Gears.

Also do like halo did and remove fighting endless robots (Prometheans in halo).

Those are my only complains really

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Just my opinion. I’m just glad they doing something new. Remember them being Black Tusk and releasing that Shanghai trailer before becoming the Gears studio. Wonder if they were forced into that?
But why do u have that opinion?
I mean you must think your correct, that gears lost its magic, there must be reasons for that.

bender

What time is it?
I'm hoping gears recovers. The last two games did little for me.

Same. I'm not sure how much of this to blame on series fatigue versus the Coalition. I do think fighting robots and the open world elements do the series no favors though.

SteadyEvo

But why do u have that opinion?
I mean you must think your correct, that gears lost its magic, there must be reasons for that.
4 had several sections that were basically horde mode in single player. Huge turn off for me. I’d see the supply box and think “Fuck…” as I set up camp to be assaulted.

5 forced the open world sections which felt out of place given how the franchise started as more of a tight corridor shooter.

And to think they’re making a 6th entry. For it to work for me it would have to go in a totally different direction. Maybe more survival horror. Each locust encounter feeling like a tense life or death battle vs dumping endless rounds into wave after wave of enemies. Something along the lines of clickers in TLOU maybe. I dunno, but please no more cover shooting Gears.

Edit: And that cliffhanger ending in 4?! Along with me vaguely remembering the ending to 5 tells me the story wasn’t that strong. I can recall more of the original and 3s story.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
F
4 had several sections that were basically horde mode in single player. Huge turn off for me. I’d see the supply box and think “Fuck…” as I set up camp to be assaulted.

5 forced the open world sections which felt out of place given how the franchise started as more of a tight corridor shooter.

And to think they’re making a 6th entry. For it to work for me it would have to go in a totally different direction. Maybe more survival horror. Each locust encounter feeling like a tense life or death battle vs dumping endless rounds into wave after wave of enemies. Something along the lines of clickers in TLOU maybe. I dunno, but please no more cover shooting Gears.

Edit: And that cliffhanger ending in 4?! Along with me vaguely remembering the ending to 5 tells me the story wasn’t that strong. I can recall more of the original and 3s story.
Fair Enough
I will point out though that gears games have always performed like horde mode in single player, you get to an area, kill the enemies and then you can move on.
I agree with 5's open world sections being uncessary, however bit does do other things the best in the series, the visuals, new gameplay mechanic with jack, really good story about kates past, and great set pieces.

The story in 4 and especially 5 are the best in gears history, gears1 did not jave much of a story. And gears 2 seemed quite generic from the first few hrs of what ive played.

I need to go back to gears 2 and 3 ive only play the first few levels of those. Ive completed gears1,4 and 5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Didnt gears 5 come out in 2019? Why does it take sequels 5 years to release nowadays. BOTW2, Horizon 2, now this. the whole reason for doing sequels is to get them out fast.

Shubh_C63

A smaller game from a new IP is right way to do it.
With correct attention to detail and setting they can make it look like AAA no problem, they have the experience.

hevy007

Banned
With Lumen you litterally just add the sunlight and volumetrics to your scene and you're done.

Same with Nanite. The optimisation process is the exact same as with UE4

World partition, again just iterative on world composition. The workflow, is again, the same
If you're a hobbyist yes you can get away that cause you have no other choice, if you're a studio trying to squeeze out maximum performance then you have to delve into the code and see how things are made,,,,i just explained why studios do these things, that's why our studio did that and many others are doing the same. Eventually you'll branch off vanilla UE5 and have you're own version of it, you have to understand how the underlying structure works, how does lumen work, what the underlying math is, how/when does it make it's approximations and why, can we improve it. To improve you have to understand it. Same with Nanite, same with everything else. Just like they did with the material layering system in ue4, they took what was there and added their own thing, added a baker etc similar to what Ready at dawn did for the order1886 to get every last drop of performance. Same when they added inertialization. These places don't just use Vanilla versions of engines lol.

You can't use the same techniques for Nanite as you did in ue4(for high poly assets), completely different workflow, completely new tools will be made for that workflow.

Alandring

I hope their new IP will be successful. Gears of War needs a complete reboot (like God of War or Halo Infinite) or they can also just leave it forever.

Plantoid

Now that everyone can make a
star wars game, why can't we have a coalition star wars?

Last edited:
Top Bottom