• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Katamari Damashii thread

bobbyconover said:
Enamored indeed.

I'm sorry. That quoted response (from me) was out of spite, not rational thought. It tends to happen during the end of the semester when I'm taking all classes in Japanese and my stress level is at its maximum. Yes, and google is my friend I know. But someone mentioned hentai...

sasimirobot said:
In this official form ,the name of the game would be correctly spelled-

Katamari Damasii

Wouldn't the official Namco-assigned romanization take priority over even that one, though? Apparently "Damacy" is a sort of hip way of romanizing Damashii, and has appeared in other high-profile places in Japan. Or at least that's what someone said in one of the old KD threads.

This may be a horrible example, but I see it as similar to an English-language game using a title with words like "Xtreme" in it. Yes, it's misspelled, but the misspelled version is how the developers intended it to be and is therefore the official title. The same goes for Japanese games like "Giftpia," which I stubbornly tried to insist was "Giftopia" until finally submitting. Yes, it sounds and looks stupid, but it's the romanization Nintendo wanted to use regardless of the fact that the katakana spells out "gifutopia." Likewise, "Katamari Damacy" is all over the official web site and even in the game itself, so to me that's what's "right" even if it's technically wrong.

sasimirobot

Bobby:

I agree with you, and "Damacy" would actually be an easier and better romanization for you average Joe American gamer. But if they released it in the states I say change the name to something in english, just so it doesnt turn off the casuals (who could really enjoy this kinda of obscure title if they just tried it!).

Something along the lines of "Ball of Death" might work? Im not sure...It would be fun to think of names for it though.

bobbyconover said:
Wouldn't the official Namco-assigned romanization take priority over even that one, though? Apparently "Damacy" is a sort of hip way of romanizing Damashii, and has appeared in other high-profile places in Japan. Or at least that's what someone said in one of the old KD threads.

The same goes for Japanese games like "Giftpia," which I stubbornly tried to insist was "Giftopia" until finally submitting. Yes, it sounds and looks stupid, but it's the romanization Nintendo wanted to use regardless of the fact that the katakana spells out "gifutopia."

One thing to keep in mind with Japanese titles like these is that even though the names are romanized, the romanization is not meant for foreigners; it's just there to be stylish. So it doesn't matter if it's spelled Damashii or Damacy, Giftopia or Giftpia, because to Japanese they would be pronounced exactly the same way. Mucking with the romanization just makes the name look more interesting. Glay purposely spelled their name with an L instead of an R because either way, it'll be spoken as "gurei". (Well, there are other reasons, but I won't go into that here.)

I can't count the number of times my name is mistaken for Glay. Especially if it's in a noisy pub or restaurant and I'm like "Clay", and they respone "Glay?" Goddamn Glay and their mediocre music.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Game Gossip said:
It wasn't too long ago that we posted word on the possibility of Namco's action title, Katamari Damacy making its way to North America. Originally citing suggestive trademark listings, today it seems the title will be making its way to North America for the PlayStation 2. While still unconfirmed by Namco, now the official PlayStation website, shows the game down for release during September 2004. As said in our last report, Katamari Damacy has players assuming the role of a miniature prince, as he rolls around collecting objects. Namco’s Katamari Damacy website (in Japanese) has additional game information.

L33t train, w00t w00t!

sasimirobot said:
Actually there is an official japanese romanization called "Kunreisiki ", which is the most linguistically logical and accecpted form, yet not the most popular.

In this official form ,the name of the game would be correctly spelled-

Katamari Damasii

My point is just that official != correct. As you point out, the government prefers one method, the Japanese populace prefers another, and Namco is using a third. None of these ways are more "right" or "wrong" than others.

BuddyC

DSCF0365.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I would just like to say that I finally got to play Katamari Damacy yesterday for the first time (thank you Ginza Sony Building :)), and it totally rocked. I hope the news of a September US release is true, because that's gonna save me the cost of having to buy and ship home a Japanese PS2. :)

Top Bottom