• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Madden 2005 impressions and pics! MADDEN MANIAAAAA!

DMczaf

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/maddennfl2005/preview_6100798.html

The lighting has also seen an overhaul, giving the game a cleaner overall look. In games played at dusk, for example, you'll notice players casting long shadows. Furthermore, for those who like playing in messy conditions, Madden NFL 2005's weather effects won't disappoint. They include precipitation that falls in the direction of the wind and player steps that cause splashes on the ground when it rains or snows. Players will even slide a good distance along the ground after being tackled on a wet field. You can select your weather and time-of-day preferences prior to a match via a series of slider bars.

When you finally have the ball in your hand, you'll notice that the ball carrier seems to have more weight to him. Tiburon has added what they call "momentum-based running." Basically this means that the faster you are running in one direction, the slower your cuts will be to change direction. In practice, what you see onscreen is your running back or receiver taking an extra half step or so to slow his momentum before cutting to the other direction. The faster you are running, and the more drastic the change in direction, the more this feature comes into play. If you try to make a really drastic cut or try to run in a circle, you may even see the ball carrier lower an arm to the ground to maintain balance. This change will give a better chance for the defense to make a solid hit, and it requires the offense to use the button-based jukes more to try to shake defenders.

The first thing experienced players will notice in the game is a change to its kicking setup. The game still requires three button presses to perform a kick, but this time around you'll be given numeric ratings on how well you executed it with regard to power and accuracy. If you manage to mistime the last button press badly and miss the accuracy window completely, the meter will report a "bad kick," and your kicker or punter will shank the ball out-of-bounds.

919804_20040615_screen004.jpg
919804_20040615_screen001.jpg

The player models look awesome to me. Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually excited a little about Madden for the first time since Madden 2002. 2003 I expected more of the same, and 2004 really dissapointed me, as it was geared to heavy towards offense IMO.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
919804_20040615_screen001.jpg

Your safe!!! I think #35 Lenny Walls is playing the wrong sport.

All kidding aside, I can't wait to play some Madden but I hope we get some Online League Play, like FMT said.

"Momentum based running" exists now, that's not new. Kicking is more of a statistician's dream, so really, these updates are meh... We need something impressive, these stupid IGN editors don't actually play Madden all the time, so they buy into this hype.

I want more defensive features... this is Ray Lewis' game!

Matlock

Banned
Madden 2005 will be the Madden in which Kellen Winslow owns you all! GONNA GO TO WAR ON YO ASSES.

Wait, gotta laugh now.

Why do they release screenshots where grass looks like astroturf?

It makes the screenshots look so unimpressive when the grass in the finished game looks like, you know, grass. Anyway, this game will fucking own on Live.

siamesedreamer said:
It makes the screenshots look so unimpressive when the grass in the finished game looks like, you know, grass. Anyway, this game will fucking own on Live.

Who cares? The only differances you will experience between astroturf and grass is speed. Stuff that matters in game! These shots don't really mean shit either, cause NO ONE will play with these camera angles. I don't watch grass on replays, I watch coverages and defensive/offensive schemes. You're gonna get run the minute you pop in Madden.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
WOW imo graphically this game looks way better than last years....give me now!!!!

Ramirez

Wasabi,the way I read it,they have changed the momentum running to discourage the "homemade jukes" (thats what me and my friends call them,lol) where you just stop and start and run around in circles dodging everyone,from the sound of it they have cut that out,which is a good thing,I have a friend who totally abuses it and is really good at it,its not realistic,nor is it fun to play against :p

DMczaf

*looks at thread title*

Nope, its not titled "Post pics from bargain bin sports games in my Madden 2005 impressions thread"

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Ramirez

I wish they would do somethin bout the funny lookin faces/helmets in ESPN :p Not sure what it is,Madden's just look better in that area...

Ceros

WasabiKing said:
"Momentum based running" exists now, that's not new. Kicking is more of a statistician's dream, so really, these updates are meh... We need something impressive, these stupid IGN editors don't actually play Madden all the time, so they buy into this hype.

I want more defensive features... this is Ray Lewis' game!

What about the defensive Hitstick feature??

BojTrek

Banned
Some please tell Madden character designers that NFL players do have necks and helmets do not have to be the biggest part of the body...

I hate Madden player designs... but don't get me wrong with that statement... I hate the entire Madden game too...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
From my untrained eye, the GC pics on EA's website look the best. Of course, as someone else said the game isn't played from those angles so it really serves no purpose other than screenshots and maybe a replay or two.

It's about time they overhauled the lighting, ESPN & even Fever were much better in that area. Accurate lighting really does a lot for the overall graphics.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
To be fair, maybe Madden would look better if the Xbox was it's primary platform. As it is, EA starts w/ the lowest common denominator (PS2) and has to build up from there, which is the opposite of ESPN this year. That said, ESPN has always looked better, even when it was called the 2K series.

BojTrek

Banned
Also, tell EA Sports that the veins that run down your arm do not detach from your arm and sit on your wristbands... god they suck at players...

Once again, don't misunderstand my statements... I don't hate Madden games, I just really hate the Madden games a lot!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
It is all about Gameplay to me. Graphics are pretty much at such a high level for both games that the nitpicking about stuff like veins is kind of silly, IMO. When I am actually playing the game, why in the fuck would I care about veins? EA has talked about all kinds of gameplay improvements, yet with ESPN all I have heard talked about is celebrity challenges. But for 20 bucks, I will give ESPN a shot.

EA has talked about all kinds of gameplay improvements, yet with ESPN all I have heard talked about is celebrity challenges.

Breakthrough Moves
Dazzling animations such as back of the end zone catches, quarterback evasions, all-new runs, and slips, falls and trips due to real weather changes

Updated First Person Football™
Our exclusive first person mode steps it up with new camera switching, improved audio, passing control options, and more!

V.I.P. System™
After your game, save your friend’s profile to compete when he is not available! Learn his tendencies, moves, & logic for more heated battles or play against the profile of coaches around the league to better your skills

ESPN 25th Anniversary Mode
Play those classic NFL situations over the past 25 years including "the immaculate reception," "the catch" and more. Here is your chance to rewrite history!

Maximum Tackle™
Experience control like never before as defenders decide whether to go for the basic wrap-up tackle or debilitating big hit. Ball carriers have the ability to break out of tackles for extra yardage at a increased chance of fumbling.

Innovative Franchise Play
Manage the week-to-week preparation of your team including workout schedules, film breakdowns and more as well as watch and react to simulated games. Also new is SportsCenter with Chris Berman anchoring and Mel Kiper and Trey Wingo bringing you the latest happenings around the league

Your Game, Your Music
Customize the sounds of the game by using your own ripped music to add some true stadium atmosphere.

More improvements ---> http://www.espnvideogames.com/nfl2k5/ <----

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The only GAMEPLAY improvement is "Maximum Tackle" which sounds just like the feature EA has implemented. The rest of that is fluff that doesn't change the gameplay at all. When I say gameplay, I mean the on the field experience. EA has talked about momentum-based running, defensive hot routes, new DB AI, new blocking schemes, etc.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
dskillzhtown said:
The only GAMEPLAY improvement is "Maximum Tackle" which sounds just like the feature EA has implemented. The rest of that is fluff that doesn't change the gameplay at all. When I say gameplay, I mean the on the field experience. EA has talked about momentum-based running, defensive hot routes, new DB AI, new blocking schemes, etc.

From ESPN website:

Maximum Tackle™ - Players can now decide to go for the big hit or the wrap-up tackle. While a big hit is harder to execute, it can cause a fumble if successful; the wrap-up tackle is easier to make but allows the ball carrier a chance to escape.

Momentum cutbacks - Player movement is now more realistic with all new momentum cutbacks where players can make defenders over-pursue ball carriers with more effective jukes, head-fakes, stop-n-gos, and more.

QB Evade - Need to avoid a tackle but want the QB to stay in the pocket? With the new QB Evade feature, new evasion moves help keep the QB cool when the pressures on.

If that weren’t enough, ESPN NFL 2K5 has enhanced defensive adjustments to include player specific adjustments allowing gamers to double team specific receivers, spy on the QB and much more.

Mrbob

EA is holding their biggest Madden 2005 secret close to their chest!

DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED

Liquid AI Ver 2.0

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Ceros said:
What about the defensive Hitstick feature??

It's old news now. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but I'd rather see some clean audibles, as well as the chance to tell your defense that it's a run play or pass play. That's the thing they took out for the hitstick. And my defense is way better than my offense, hence my bias. I will shut you down!

Again, people talk about horrible textures, but since you you're busy staring at textures instead of playing a game, you're already a bottom feeder in the grand scheme of things. But I might as well address the fact that EVERY player in ESPN looked ripped like linebackers, veins exposed as QBs threw the ball. Listen, Eli Manning can't get his veins in his arms to pop out even if he tied his arm with corded rope above his bicep for 5 days.

Just give it up, until you can fix a 60 yard running play by Tyrone Wheatley, who maybe has done that ONCE in career, and other glaringly flawed parts in the game, all your aesthetics will mean nothing. And I'm sure you guys STILL play First Person Football on a daily-basis, since that revolutionized video football games.

Mrbob

I'm still looking forward to Madden 2005, but the Home Field Advantage feature from NCAA 2005 - and the lack thereof in Madden 2005 - has diminished my interest in Madden 2005.

why are you looking forward to ANY football game bob!? i'm going to put a hurtin on you the likes of which you haven't seen since opening game last year for the bears

FrenchMovieTheme said:
why are you looking forward to ANY football game bob!? i'm going to put a hurtin on you the likes of which you haven't seen since opening game last year for the bears

Haha, that's true, the Bears will fade out by week 5 anyway. Too many Urlacher commercials...

There are only two places where home-field advantage really play a factor, and that's Green Bay and New England. I don't see how that is such a big factor in the NFL.

There are only two places where home-field advantage really play a factor, and that's Green Bay and New England. I don't see how that is such a big factor in the NFL.

very true. i guess it would be cool to have a "composure rating" in madden, but to be honest homefield isn't AS big of a factor in the nfl. in college you have 60k-100k rabid fans (many of which GO to the college and are young and excited) and its just a different atmosphere. in the NFL you also have many rabid fans, but you are screaming and yelling at mostly veterans who have been there before and really dont give a shit about you trying to rattle them.

if college football had a playoff system like the NFL, i guarantee you the team with homefield advantage would probably win 75-85% of the games, it's that big. but in the NFL, winning a playoff game on the road happens all the time (it happened 4 times in last years playoffs alone). so it WOULD be cool to have "homefield advantage" and composure ratings in madden, but its not that big of a deal.

p.s. why do you care anyways bobbo the bears have no homefield advantage! it's like a homefield DISadvantage! kordell will curse you forever... he is the bartman of the NFL for the bears

shpankey

not an idiot
DMczaf said:

I wonder why the GameCube always gets the better field textures in Madden? Anyone ever notice that? Last year was the same way. I mean, they look so great on GCN! Wish they had those on Xbox... as I can't stand the GCN controller for sports games, plus with no online, there's no way I'd get that version.

So, is the GCN better at doing textures than Xbox I guess then?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
WasabiKing said:
Listen, Eli Manning can't get his veins in his arms to pop out even if he tied his arm with corded rope above his bicep for 5 days.

Eli's vitals from the draft combine:

315-pound bench press … 380-pound squat … 265-pound power clean … 30-inch vertical jump … 30 ¾-inch arm length

That's vein popping material. 315 lbs. is no joke.

manningclemons_jb.jpg

Top Bottom