• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

co1onel

Finally a console for me!
I had no problems with the normal xl stylus placement and im a lefty
With the stylus on the right side side I have to pull it out with my right hand and switch it to my left hand. So much easier to just pull it out of the bottom with my left hand.

Ultima_5

Just wanted to know for sure..I got this message after the system transfer ended and it rebooted

Nintendo DSIware will now be moved to the system memory from the microsd card..move or do not move..also..my old system is asking me if I want to delete all data on the sd card

i think i had to move my dsi stuff. but i'd wait for other gaffers inputs

Yup it's been a pain trying to plan for everything that I need to have prepared for when I do get the n3dsXL, let alone how ridiculous it is just trying to find one of these right now. I've been to way too many stores today, I'm just callin it quits for now until the next shipment.

Your post just reminded me that I really want to pick up a 64GB memory card for my Vita soon, been wanting to do it for awhile since my 32gb isn't cutting it anymore, but I always keep forgetting haha. Wish they would finally have the 64GB here in NA so I wouldn't have to import :-/

Even if it ever becomes available here (it won't), it would probably still be cheaper to get it from PA. Definitely worth it.. I'm an avid preacher of 64GB being the only option for these portable devices. :)

Debs

I don't understand how so many people are having a problem taking off the back to access the MicroSD, I had no problem at all unscrewing mine and taking the plate off.

Is it normal that the screen flickers a little bit if you move the 3DS?

Not really much. Just a liiiiiiitle :).

Just want to make sure that my device is OK. If not, I have to wait 7 days for an exchange because of the transfer limitation :(.

i think i had to move my dsi stuff. but i'd wait for other gaffers inputs

I believe DSiWare will only run off of the system memory and not the SD card. If that's the case, it's only on the SD card for the purpose of moving it over to a new system and you'd have to send it to the system memory to actually play it.

TheLostArcader

Neo Member
Lol. I'm kicking myself for losing my microsd-sd adapter. I'm doing wireless transfer and it's the most confusing yet cute loading screen.

It's been at 25% for like an hour now. What does this thing even mean? Am I waiting for the pikmin to move the panels and when they are done, it's finally reached 25%?

My transfer took almost 3 hrs total sys to sys. I just hung out with the guys in my local Game Stop since I was trading in to absorb $100 of the price.

Jarnet87

Took me like an hour and a half but think the transfer finally worked. Got an error first time, and then the lady thought the transfer had started but another menu came up. Actual transfer didn't take much time but I only had one game. Didn't see the game there but when I went to the e shop it gave me an option to redownload.

I believe DSiWare will only run off of the system memory and not the SD card. If that's the case, it's only on the SD card for the purpose of moving it over to a new system and you'd have to send it to the system memory to actually play it.

My old system just reformatted so now everything is gone..but on my new system it saysNintendo DSIware will now be moved to the system memory, move or dont move what do I press?

Ellite25

I don't understand how so many people are having a problem taking off the back to access the MicroSD, I had no problem at all unscrewing mine and taking the plate off.

Same here, just put my fingernails into the little openings on the side and it came right off.

dyergram

Picked my xl from gameuk today. They really didn't want to give it me since I hadn't pre ordered but they did anyway I guess it's selling well maybe? console itself seems really nice although the extra size means I have to replace a case that's held every previous iteration of the ds which sucks. But as expected almost every faccett has been improved on this new model I'm really not sure about this c stick though.

MBR

Banned
It's better, and the 3ds XL was also an upgrade on the OG 3DS.

With the 3ds XL, event at max volume the sound was not loud enough, whereas with the n3DS XL I can even slide down the cursor a bit. I use Sennheiser 550MMX with a Fiio 06.

The speakers are much better too, it's now an option to not use headphones if you don't want to be isolated.
I'm using it with Senn Momentum full size, no amp. Thought I hesrd a difference though. Awesome.

The non-XL seems like a dream to me; claw grip, good sound, acceptable ppi, and 3D doesn't break or give me a headache yet. And GOW DAYUM, the matte surface feels soooo much better than the clossy as fuck sandwich 3DS.

Hawk269

About to jump in and I never owned a ds or 3ds system. If I buy a higher capacity mini SD card do I install it before powering up the unit for the first time?

Namikaze

Cheap screws = easy to strip. I used the same screwdriver on both the left and right screws; the left screw came right up with no issue at all; it still looks perfect. The right screw wouldn't budge at all, though. Ended up stripping it.

dyergram

No shit:
JFBqOh4.jpg

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Anyone have a good way to protect the front and back of the system? I don't usually care, but scratches in the glossy Zelda finish would bum me out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cheap screws = easy to strip. I used the same screwdriver on both the left and right screws; the left screw came right up with no issue at all; it still looks perfect. The right screw wouldn't budge at all, though. Ended up stripping it.

You'd think if they make the user unscrew stuff that they'd use stronger screws. Or do the logical thing and put the microSD slot in the side under a flap

Are the screws as bad on the smaller 3DS? That would be even worse if you want to swap cover plates often

inner-G

Banned
Anyone have a good way to protect the front and back of the system? I don't usually care, but scratches in the glossy Zelda finish would bum me out.
You could paint an acrylic sealer over it.

Don't really do that. They make clear 'shell' cases for handhelds if you're that anal

I'm not sure if it's just me noticing this but was there a shortage of New 3DS XLs in America? Walmart had two red ones in the clear lockup thing on Wednesday, went to the store today and there was just one red New 3DSXL, Gamestop was completely wiped out too, no new MM, MH4 or Black 3DS XLs to be seen, website even says no longer purchasable.. :c

K my old system is now formatted..but I still see that message on my NEW 3DS XL

Nintendo DSIware will now be moved to the system memory, move or dont move

just need to know yes or no cause Ive never done this before

Debs

Is it normal that the screen flickers a little bit if you move the 3DS?

Not really much. Just a liiiiiiitle :).

Just want to make sure that my device is OK. If not, I have to wait 7 days for an exchange because of the transfer limitation :(.

I had this when I first starting using it then I realised I was holding the 3DS too far away, I remembered when I first started up the console and it said to hold it approx 30cm away from my face now it always looks perfect.

Alright guys, picked up my new 3dsxl today from gamestop. First impressions rock. The new zl and zr fit perfectly within reach, c stick seems pretty nifty. Taking the back plate off was scary, thought I was pushing was too hard and was gonna scratch my screen. Way too hard to pull the cover off, used the back of my stylus and ended up chipping the paint. I'm so pissed this was the worst design. Choice ever. I am playing the long waiting game while my systems transfer, which were a botch to set up by the way. Kept errorin out and not connecting to the eship. This transfer is ducking stupid.

Can't wait to boot up a game. Feels good bro. I know your feels. Keyboard cat.

Namikaze

You'd think if they make the user unscrew stuff that they'd use stronger screws. Or do the logical thing and put the microSD slot in the side under a flap

Are the screws as bad on the smaller 3DS? That would be even worse if you want to swap cover plates often

I think they are about the same, I know of a few people who have stripped their screws on the smaller n3DS but I think that extra faceplates come with a fresh set of screws (anyone wanna confirm?).

while you guys are going through #screwgate im looking at 3D Land like its a whole new game. being able to play at full 3d and not squint or hold my head perfectly still is incredible. got MM and MH4U today. gonna grab luigis mansion if i can find it locally.

Jakoo

Welp, I am pretty sure my device needs to be sent in for repair after me owning it for 4 hours.
The N3DS internet worked fine until I did the system transfer. Now, with the new SD card in and my Nintendo ID associated with it, the system cannot find access points anymore.

I wanted to take the SD card out to troubleshoot it, but, I managed to strip the backplate screws even using the correct screwdriver after only taking the faceplate off once.

I spent 2+ hours with Nintendo on the phone trying to resolve it and there was no idea what the issue was, and my call was dropped/transferred over 7 times. I don't blame them for not having the answer since it's a new system and all, but it's still frustrating.

Really killing the game this go around Ninty. Well done.

Haven't had a chance to use mine, but picked it up at lunch and did the system transfer. Took about 30 minutes. Transferred all my crap onto a microSD yesterday. No issues with the screwdriver. As expected, I had one just the right size
because I am an adult and I keep tools in my apartment
. The screwdriver was a bit busted so I did have to use a kitchen knife to get things started. No problems overall. No stripping on the screws. Weird having the cartridge slot moved. I've been putting carts in the back of Nintendo systems my whole life.

The 3D is way improved. It's very impressive. I like the cstick as well. It's weird how unresponsive it seems like it would be but it works great.

Recieved my MH4U XL!

Heading out for some errands, then buying a micro SD card from Walmart for the transfer.

Already have an adapter to use the card with.

My Mon Hun XL came today. Did the transfer and redownloaded MH 4. System is beautiful. Really happy with it. Tried out the C-stick briefly with Moon Chronicles and it works great.

Ellite25

while you guys are going through #screwgate im looking at 3D Land like its a whole new game. being able to play at full 3d and not squint or hold my head perfectly still is incredible. got MM and MH4U today. gonna grab luigis mansion if i can find it locally.

I feel the same way. I'm playing DKR and the 3D is amazing. I usually turned it off because it would screw me over and go blurry during key moments. Now it's perfect and never goes out. Feeling really goof about this purchase now.

MildSoss

Alright, so i have a new 32 gb sd card i want to use for my new XL. Should i copy every thing now from my old SD card to the new one before i start the transfer or does that happen during the process?

Mob

I think they are about the same, I know of a few people who have stripped their screws on the smaller n3DS but I think that extra faceplates come with a fresh set of screws (anyone wanna confirm?).

Yup each rear faceplate has its own screws.

Yes, you want to move it to system memory.

Awesome thanks SO much it worked..it was the zelda game that needed to be transferred to system memory..now that is done and my old system has been fully formatted..can I go ahead and put in my NNID on my NEW system??
Also another thing, I am not sure how to set up the clock on my system it shows it as military time(16:26) but I want to set it as 3:26pm how do I do that?

My transfer took almost 3 hrs total sys to sys. I just hung out with the guys in my local Game Stop since I was trading in to absorb $100 of the price.

3 hrs hanging out at gamestop, I salute you sir. They didn't tell you that you could go home, do the transfer, come back and still get the deal?

What size card did you have?

Also it's almost at 50% now, so i figure I have a couple more hours at least.

Mob

Awesome thanks SO much it worked..it was the zelda game that needed to be transferred to system memory..now that is done and my old system has been fully formatted..can I go ahead and put in my NNID on my NEW system??
Also another thing, I am not sure how to set up the clock on my system it shows it as military time(16:26) but I want to set it as 3:26pm how do I do that?

Was your NNID on the old system? It's been about a month since I did my transfer but I thought my NNID went across as part of the transfer and I just had to confirm the password, maybe I'm misremembering though, someone that's transferred today could probably give a better answer sorry.

As far as I know the time is only available in 24hr format. Can't see anywhere to change that in system settings.

MAN i was so incredibly careful in applying my hori screen protectors but i still got one air bubble on each screen that will not remove!

should i try to pry up the filter and remove them? what do you guys do in these cases just live with it?

They will either go away over time ore you could pull it back. Just be careful to not get any dust particles under the screen protector if you do.

co1onel

Just picked mine up, and I love the way it feels. Coming from an original 3DS, the new 3dsxl feels so much better in my hands and feels less cheap. Also the screen is glorious.

I was worried the added triggers might feel awkward but my fingertips rest on the ZR/ZL perfectly.

ngower

Quick question: I've gone through the initial setup (wifi, nickname, time/date, etc) and nothing else. I can just take out my old microSD card and put in the 32GB I bought today, right? I have to format it to Fat32, but other than that it's fine? Wanna make sure before I do it so I don't fuck anything up.

So I'm about to do my system transfer and both consoles are telling me to update. So I do it and my old 3DS downloaded it in like a second while the new 3DS is still downloading it like 3 minutes later. So much for that faster processing power...

Top Bottom