• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Rootbeer

Banned
this might be related to the topic. Which screen protector should I invest in gaf for the new 3ds xl?

I don't want scratches like my original 3ds on the top screen just from closing the 3ds =[

20150213_191412_zps308yumbw.jpg

Please excuse the dusty 3ds =/

Go with Hori.

Also I just want to say that I am very keenly paranoid about the scratching situation, having had problems with it on past models as well.

I can confirm that the screens DO NOT TOUCH even when you slightly squeeze the system to simulate pressure that may be present in say a bookbag. Nintendo has done a better job at placing the rubber feet to prevent contact.

That said yes I installed a screen protector anyway

Corgi

Banned
system seems to have a piss hard time tracking my face glass on or off.

It's only works fine... when im perfectly still... so its not much better than the old 3ds :/

Oregano

Go with Hori.

Also I just want to say that I am very keenly paranoid about the scratching situation, having had problems with it on past models as well.

I can confirm that the screens DO NOT TOUCH even when you slightly squeeze the system to simulate pressure that may be present in say a bookbag. Nintendo has done a better job at placing the rubber feet to prevent contact.

Yeah with my N3DS there is a visible gap, the bumpers are a lot bigger than they were. It might be best to avoid putting too much pressure on it though.

So I'm about to do my system transfer and both consoles are telling me to update. So I do it and my old 3DS downloaded it in like a second while the new 3DS is still downloading it like 3 minutes later. So much for that faster processing power...
Perhaps 9.0 > 9.5 is more data than 9.4 > 9.5 (which given you said it took a second implies the data was already downloaded via spotpass).

I got to my Walmart at 8 am, and the guy told me that they only got 2 blacks, 2 reds, and 5 MM /MH4
I don't know what is supposed to be limited edition anymore.

So, I don't have my old 3DS to transfer digital content from meaning I'll have to have customer service do the transfer.

In the interim, can I go ahead and link my old NNID and Club Nintendo accounts and carry on?

I have my old saves already transferred to my new micro SD card
The NNID containg your purchase history is still linked to the old 3DS weather you formatted it or not. Talking to NOA should get them to properly unlink it.

Those save files are completely useless as you don't have the encryption key (that is on the old 3DS you no longer have)

It's only works fine... when im perfectly still... so its not much better than the old 3ds :/
That is why I said the previews over exaggerated the improvement, but I got called a troll.

Taking your eyes off the system ruins the effect.

syoaran

Got to say that i'm extremely happy with my new 3ds XL.

I don't know if it's been mentioned [or documented], but I feel like the channels for audio come in a lot clearer on headphones. Playing PW vs Layton and I felt like I was playing a higher quality version of the game from the audio alone.

The new 3D really does work - and so this is the first time i've actually played games in 3D after the launch of the system. Nintendo did a great job with this version of the hardware.

Transferring my data from my old original 3DS to my MMLE right now. I always held off on getting an XL since I figured an upgraded model would eventually be released. I'm glad I waited. The first thing I noticed when I looked at it was how huge the screens are compared to my old one. The screens on the old 3DS looked tiny when I was starting up the transfer.

Thanks for the suggestion Gaf! I'll look into it! I think I might need to get that before I play my new 3ds even though it comes next week =[

Go with Hori.

Just curious did the regular 3ds XL fix this problem?

Cuburt

I've never actually used multiple SD cards with one 3DS before.. is this possible, a la the PS Vita? Or are you only able to have one SD card linked to your system, total?

Thanks! :)

Only one. Or at least, only one set of saves/data works at a time. In other words, you can't hope to have one card with half your games and apps and another for the other half. But if you are switching your data from an SD card to a microSD card you can do that.

Arkage

Banned
I got pretty lucky, the Target I went to had 3 blacks and 3 reds so I picked up a black. I'm pretty sure I could've camped out for the MM edition but, meh, I don't really feel the need.

Pro: AWESOME 3D. It not only cleared up the issue of having the game "centered" exactly, it also clears up the double-image issue that some, shall we say, non-AAA 3DS games suffer from. Ex: Moon was having double-image issues on the XL, and now they're all cleared up, no issues.

Con: Shitty nub. I never used a nub before but man, it's pretty worthless. There's no sense of finesse or accuracy with it when I tried Moon. Hopefully it's better with Zelda and Xenoblade, but since it only controls the camera it probably doesn't NEED finesse, anyway. Also read that KI:U requires "flicks" which are essentially impossible with the nub. I wish Nintendo would've just done the normal-hardware-design thing and had a second analogue stick instead of going all Nintendo on us and make a weird, mostly crap design decision.

Got mine from GameStop an hour ago, apparently they only got a few for non-preorders but those all got sold a few hours into the day. Also got Majora's Mask 3D in from Amazon earlier today, looking forward to playing that.

Just waiting for the 30+ minutes transferring stuff from my SD to my new microSD (doing it before the transfer so I can just pop the card into the new one when the guide says to).

Thoraxes

So changing the microSD card wasn't as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.

My back cover came off effortlessly. I loosened the screws, used the edge of the stylus to prop the shell off like in the JP video, and it was completely hassle free, and I didn't have any terrifying sound.

n3DS XL must be the tinniest bit bigger than the OG, it won't fit into my awesome, very loving case (which was for 3DS Small, but it *snugly* fit my XL).

Rest in peace case, I hope I can find another one like you. *sarahmclachlan.mp3*

ngower

Dear God, changing the card over is terrifying. When pulling the case off/putting it on I turned the power on/off a couple times on accident (truly awful positioning, I can tell already this is gonna bug the shit out of me). Fortunately I'm starting from scratch so there's nothing to corrupt (yet) but that definitely startled me while making the physical transfer of storage.

So changing the microSD card wasn't as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.

My back cover came off effortlessly. I loosened the screws, used the edge of the stylus to prop the shell off like in the JP video, and it was completely hassle free, and I didn't have any terrifying sound.
My problem was that I didn't know the stylus was also a crowbar. Once I saw the instructions it was easy peasey.

Cuburt

Could be the lighting of the room you are in or what you have behind you that the camera might be confusing for a face.

Personally I haven't been having major problems but if you do the stable 3D set up (which you can access again in the settings menu), it should give you feedback on the frame the system can track your face in. If there is any interference, you might be able to use that to figure out when the camera tracking is losing your face.

Ecto311

Anyone know the average size of a 3ds game? It comes with a 4gb one and i usually go physical so if the game sucks or I beat it I can trade or sell it at some point but there are some indie games that have no option other than physical. Is it going to be a shitshow if the microsd in there gets full and I need to move up to a new one or should I get a bigger one right now before I do anything else?

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion Gaf! I'll look into it! I think I might need to get that before I play my new 3ds even though it comes next week =[

Just curious did the regular 3ds XL fix this problem?

While initially there were claims that it was fixed, no. It is less of an issue than on the original 3DS but it is not fixed the way it is fixed in the New 3DS XL where it is now a 0% issue for most users

But... if you own or are going to buy an "OG" 3DS XL, as long as you put a screen protector on the top screen you are good. Bottom screen won't be scratched by the screens contacting, because it's not possible. Though you could get some scratching from the stylus over time... so you should put a protector on both screens if this worries you.

If you buy the Hori screen protector it comes with a protector for both screens

Anyone know the average size of a 3ds game? It comes with a 4gb one and i usually go physical so if the game sucks or I beat it I can trade or sell it at some point but there are some indie games that have no option other than physical. Is it going to be a shitshow if the microsd in there gets full and I need to move up to a new one or should I get a bigger one right now before I do anything else?
You don't need to worry much about upgrading the size of your chard for (most) eShop exclusives, most of them are pretty small.

co1onel

Is anybody else's n3ds taking forever to update? I think my internet is working normally so I assume it's nintendo's servers.

Ace 8095

Playing Mario 3d Land this new 3d is the real deal. I really liked the idea of 3d but I just could not get it to work on my old XL. Now it's nearly perfect. I feel the same as I did when the SP and DS Lite release, this is what the original 3DS should have been

Banned
Looks like I won't be able to transfer my digital purchases tonight. Only way to do it when your missing a 3DS is to call and I can't even wait on the line for an agent I have to pick on option and the option tells me to go online and create a ticket. Then when I do that the name, last name, and detail section is ghosted out lol. Wtf Nintendo.

JDizzv

Guys, quick question.

Just got my 3DS and I had a prior system which I sold and need to transfer content from, once I get in touch with Nintendo support. While waiting for this transfer to occur, can I actually set up the system and start playing? Or do I need to wait?

Just wanna know in case I fudge something up.

Hawk269

About to jump in and I never owned a ds or 3ds system. If I buy a higher capacity mini SD card do I install it before powering up the unit for the first time?

Anyone??? Please? I am sitting at home with my new gaming system, games etc, but not sure if I need to set it up first and then swap the memory card or if I can swap it and then do the set up? Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone??? Please? I am sitting at home with my new gaming system, games etc, but not sure if I need to set it up first and then swap the memory card or if I can swap it and then do the set up? Any help would be appreciated.
New 3DS? It won't matter.

Transfer? Best option is to copy your old SD card to the new one and put it in the old 3DS (using an adapter). Do the system transfer, when completed, put the new SD card in the new 3DS.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hawk269:

you mean microsd right? that is what you need. not mini!

If you are NOT doing a transfer you can put the new card in at any time just make sure you put it in before you download any software to make things easier

remember your microsd needs to be formatted in the fat32 format most come formatted in exfat out of the packaging so you need to fix that first

Hawk269

Hawk269:

you mean microsd right? that is what you need. not mini!

If you are NOT doing a transfer you can put the new card in at any time just make sure you put it in before you download any software to make things easier

Oh shit, I bought a mini sd card. I thought that is what someone suggested. So it is a micro sd card then?

Banned

I put my 32GB in before starting the system. The OS is reserved on internal memory. The SD card will be formatted when you boot up.

Guys, quick question.

Just got my 3DS and I had a prior system which I sold and need to transfer content from, once I get in touch with Nintendo support. While waiting for this transfer to occur, can I actually set up the system and start playing? Or do I need to wait?

Just wanna know in case I fudge something up.
Don't setup an NNID on the new system and maybe stay off the eShop (just to be safe).

You should be okay to set it up and play cartridges otherwise.

After carefully opening up my new 3DS (and thankfully not breaking anything or stripping any screws) and putting in a 32gb card.

But, I'm doing the long way since I won't be able to play until 1230 mountain time at least since I am working (work from home).

I do have the say that I really like the color of the black N3DS.

Hawk269

Thanks for the replies. I looked again and I did buy a MicroSd 64gb card. So I should be good to go.

As a new owner and never having any DS or 3ds system before, this shit is all new to me as far as games etc. go. Anyone can give a list of some of the better looking/playing games on the system?

My first 2 games are Zelda Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter 4.

Will provide my Nintendo ID so I can get some of you on my list when I set up my system.

Thanks!

Rootbeer

Banned
Those upgrading from 3DS XL, was it worth it in your opinion?

Since you can trade in your old system to gamestop for $100 (limited time offer, and only if you bought your N3DS from gamestop itself), meaning I'll only be paying $100 (plus charger :p) to upgrade? Yes it is the easiest upgrade decision I made since the last time I upgraded my two-year-old cellphone
Thanks for the replies. I looked again and I did buy a MicroSd 64gb card. So I should be good to go.

As a new owner and never having any DS or 3ds system before, this shit is all new to me as far as games etc. go. Anyone can give a list of some of the better looking/playing games on the system?

Will provide my Nintendo ID so I can get some of you on my list when I set up my system.

Thanks!
Super congrats to you and you've made a great purchasing choice IMO :) Always happy to see more people jumping into the world of 3DS. Some great titles await you, as well as lots of future stuff I can't wait to get my hands on

I second all of 10k's recommendations below and would add, if you like RPGs:

Fantasy Life
Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS (now on pre-order)

I could add tons more but don't want to overwhelm you

Banned

Thanks!

Super Mario 3D Land
Ocarina of Time 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Fire Emblem: Awakening

All solid in gameplay and 3D effects.

So how did you guys take off the back plate without damaging it? I'm hearing that if you use the stylus to pry it open, it scratches it or chips it.

Rootbeer

Banned
So how did you guys take off the back plate without damaging it? I'm hearing that if you use the stylus to pry it open, it scratches it or chips it.

i used the stylus and yeah i can see how it could damage it. On mine it did "chip" it a little on its interior (not the exterior), but I want to stress it is like such a tiny amount that you can't notice it. However, after multiple removals it could be an issue. thankfully for most users, after you put in a 32 or 64GB card you probably will never need to open it again... until your next transfer or whatever

so for the moment i really don't know if much can be done... it is clamped on there pretty good so it's hard to be too careful when removing it

For me, no chips or scratches (at least I didn't see any yet). it did make the hole where put the end of the stylus a bit bigger, but not as bad as I thought it would be. You need to use a bit of force to get it unhinged, but not too much though. Once one side was loose, I went to the other side and got that one loose.After that no problems.

Key is not using too much force to get it open and be patient. Screws were no problem BTW.

Top Bottom