• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

ultron87

I'm pretty sure I didn't destroy my mh4 copy during this transfer process, but I don't know for sure. The fact that that is a thing I even have to worry about is nutso.

Does the new 3DS offer anything besides the 2nd analog nub? I got a 3DSXL with a circle Pad Pro so I'm not sure if its worth the upgrade.

Bah. My transfer keeps holding up and eventually erroring out at like 20% of the first of 6 DSi transfer sets... =(

Dude I know how you feel. Took me many tries, and probably 2 hours for it to finally be good. When I was ready to go over to gamestop and trade in my 2ds for that $75 they were closed. Yep is Friday the 13th

GamerJM

Banned
Just picked mine up, I'm updating but the guy in front of me in line seemed like he could have been a GAFer lol. He asked if they were doing a midnight launch for Bloodborne and was just there to pick up Majora's Mask, the guy asked him about the special edition 3DS and he said that he's not interested because the fact that it doesn't come with a charger is absurd.

Whats the deal with lack of screen protectors in the stores and tpu cases. Its not like they didn't have time to prepare.

It seems like with Nintendo, most people don't think it's as big a deal as it used to be. Problem is, it still is and stores keep under-predicting. Same goes for Nintendo. Limited Editions are way more limited than they are supposed to be, some products are not sold in places where they were highly anticipated due to market misreading (No regular-size New 3DS in North America), etc.

Long story short, yeah, they probably had a lot of time to prepare, but they may not have expected so many people to be interested in them.

Very happy there's a wireless transfer option to the PC if I need space on the card. I agree I will never take the back plate off again. What a pain

It seems like with Nintendo, most people don't think it's as big a deal as it used to be. Problem is, it still is and stores keep under-predicting. Same goes for Nintendo. Limited Editions are way more limited than they are supposed to be, some products are not sold in places where they were highly anticipated due to market misreading (No regular-size New 3DS), etc.

Long story short, yeah, they probably had a lot of time to prepare, but they may not have expected so many people to be interested in them.

I think they want to please their investors by saying the system is selling great and were having a hard time keeping with demand. I bet the investors would be not too happy if they said that they overestimated the demand and have full inventory in their warehouse.

Here is my silly but successful New 3DS transfer story:

I pre-ordered the Black XL version, got it today on my lunch break at work. I then proceeded to do a system transfer in my car via my smart phone hot spot right next to GameStop since they would not allow me to do the system transfer in the store due to it being too busy and they didn't want lots of people crowding all doing system transfers asking for their Internet. I could understand that, so I did it all in my car, lol.

-12 minutes to update new handheld to current firmware via my phone hotspot.

-15 minutes to nearly complete the system transfer from old 3DS to New 3DS XL, my phone turned my hotspot off due to inactivity since both systems only connect at the start and end of the system transfer.

-15 more minutes to redo the system transfer while making sure my phone hotspot was active.

-2 minutes to get the New 3DS XL up and going after the transfer and have the DSi games moved.

-2 minutes to open the back of the New 3DS, remove microsd and insert my new microsd already pre-loaded the night before from back up file on my PC. It was amazingly easy to open the back of the New 3DS guys, the screws didn't come out it just popped off really smoothly without having to pry or force it.

I walked back to GameStop, traded in my old 3DS with it's adapter, got my $75 bucks back and went back to my car, turned my new system back on and it works like magic, only took about 45 minutes, even after needing to start the process over.

Anyone else do it this way?

Halabane

new 3ds launch? Oh I thought this was the thread on my friggin finger print detection unit I just got from nintendo. I thought they learned. My dsi xl was a finger print machine, then my 3ds xl was a nice red matte. They learned! But no. Back to this gloss crap. Never put a skin on before but this one is getting one.

As far as the back cover goes its really not that bad. But I get the concern and its crazy how they did it. What got me more was how some of the questions were in the transfer software...like a yes or no answer for a question using an "either or".

Hardware wise this thing is faster and the 3ds is awesome. I have a jpn 3ds so I had seen it on the smaller screen and the larger one is just as good. Now to run thru MH again so I can play with NA folks.

I put a 32gb micro sd card in my new red model.

I'm NEVER removing that back cover again.

Really? Why not? Maybe it's because I work in IT and am constantly taking stuff apart to repair it, but it was a breeze for me. taking that back panel off is way more simple and less nerve-wracking then taking a laptop bezel apart.

GamerJM

Banned
Really? Why not? Maybe it's because I work in IT and am constantly taking stuff apart to repair it, but it was a breeze for me. taking that back panel off is way more simple and less nerve-wracking then taking a laptop bezel apart.

Also the instructions were actually helpful and well-written. I've used products where you have to do something similar but the instructions aren't really clear.

I put a 32gb micro sd card in my new red model.

I'm NEVER removing that back cover again.

I could NEVER have taken that thing off myself(I had installed a 16gb microsd card) I had the girl at Target who sold me the red system get a screwdriver and open it for me. Took her 20 minutes to finally figure it out Nintendo loves making things difficult

Ecto311

Can you shut the lids of the 2 systems while this long ass transfer is taking place? Fuck after the updates and resetting this password that I never remember it has been close to 4 hours. I don't have a full 2gb of stuff to move maybe 1gb if that and its taking more than an hour to transfer. Sitting at 75% so far.

Durden77

Ugh....I'm still getting the faint double images in 3D against dark backgrounds. It's all over the place in the Majora's Mask intro.

The head tracking is wonderful, but I was really hoping they would've tweaked the 3D itself to fix these problems.

Revenile

How are the screens of the n3dxl? Are they dead pixel prone???

Mine doesn't have any dead pixels. However I have a area where the bottom screen is brighter that runs along the botton of the lower screen and some more on the right of the screen. Only showed up about an hour ago (and about 4 hours after applying ghost armor) hoping it fixes itself.

Zing

Banned
Okay so why don't these screws wanna come out?
You only need to turn them a few times to loose them. They don't actually come out of the external cover.

I have a single stuck pixel in the parallax layer. Interestingly, it is almost invisible to the eye when looking at the system straight on with 3D on. It is only visible with 3D off or viewed from an angle.

charpunk

I have one on the top screen, but it's all the way in the upper right hand corner. I don't even see it unless I'm looking for it. Still probably going to exchange it as soon as my store gets more in.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really digging it. Amazing how much better the 3d is. Screen seems clearer as well, and the build quality is nicer than the old XL.

Changing the micro SD card during transfer was a little stressful (stupid back cover), but I got it done! 32 gigs worth of space!

Now redownloading MH4U. This is actually my second special edition system I bought (First was the gold Zelda XL). Looks and feels good. I'm glad I preordered.

Honestly, I started up Smash 3DS just to use the amiibo feature.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Taking forever to charge, the orange light has been on since before 10. Using a charger I bought off of Amazon. So either the charge cable doesn't work correct or the system just takes forever to charge.

Or the orange light just doesn't come off?

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I posted this in the MM OT, but I thought it would be more appropriate here...

Does anybody else's circle pad creak under pressure? This is on the n3DS XL by the way.

It feels as though I am letting go of an elastic band, there is a very distinct "clank" sound to it.

Durden77

After messing with it a bit more, maybe my eyes just needed to adjust a bit more. I'm still seeing a bit of faint double in certain spots, but it looks a lot better.

As someone that truly enjoyed the 3D on the 3DS, but just couldn't use it all the time, this head tracking is a godsend. Thank you Nintendo. I just wish the system would've been intially realeased like this so it wouldn't have turned so many off from the idea. Just showed it to my friend that actively hated the 3D on the original and he was very impressed.

Is anyone having issues with the cstick not being able to be pressed down, or any other direction reliably?

We got 2 n3ds' today and one of them started having problems moving the camera down in MH4 with the cstick.
We've tried the in game calibratuon and you really have to pull that cstick down with a fingernail to have it register.

Could it be that it's just new and stiff or could it possibly be defective?

You only need to turn them a few times to loose them. They don't actually come out of the external cover.

I have a single stuck pixel in the parallax layer. Interestingly, it is almost invisible to the eye when looking at the system straight on with 3D on. It is only visible with 3D off or viewed from an angle.

I never put my 3ds in 3D(Because of issues with eye straining) but if I wanted to check, how can I check to see if I do have a dead pixel, what would I be looking for

Ludovico

20 minutes backing up my 32gb SD card to the laptop earlier.
20 minutes copying all of those files directly to the newly formatted 64gb card.

Pop the 64 the original 3DS to make sure everything's alright - NOTHING.
Card works and shows up, and I was able to download a game to it, but all the original software isn't showing up.

Root of card: Nintendo 3DS
Exact copy of the original folder.

Top Bottom