• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

MattVT

Probably a dumb question, but going to ask anyway: I'm doing a system transfer and it's about 25% done according to the Pikmin. Do I still need internet access at this point? In other words, are the systems talking directly to one another or are they using the using the Internet as a "go between." I'm asking because I'd like to change locations (i.e., drive somewhere else) but don't want to mess up the transfer.

Derpyduck

Banned
Just got my system. Has anyone noticed any type of tint to the top screen (XL or regular)?

My XL is very very warm/yellow. The difference between the temp of the top and bottom screen isn't very noticeable though. I've had a DS or two in the past that had to be returned because the difference in temp was pretty stark.

Another plus for the new XL is the sound it makes as you open the screen. It still pops into position, but now it does so without that awful cracking sound.

So it's definitely a #0 then? :/

I used a screwdriver intended for eye glasses. Worked without issue. It might have been troublesome if the screws had been tight to begin with though.

I must be really unlucky. I got my "New" 3DS XL from target a few hours ago. I got the red one. I was really excited only to notice that the buttons and d-pad had this really weird black lines on it. I was debating to keep it but I might aswell change it, so I won't be able to play MH4 until tomorrow :-( .

Rich!

I must be really unlucky. I got my "New" 3DS XL from target a few hours ago. I got the red one. I was really excited only to notice that the buttons and d-pad had this really weird black lines on it. I was debating to keep it but I might aswell change it, so I won't be able to play MH4 until tomorrow :-( .

Guess what?

That's normal. My black XL has those too. Noticed it last year when I got it, its on all of them.

Exchanging won't help.

Where can I buy the new charging cradle?

Any country other than America.

Use Amazon UK.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wow the New 3DS XL Polygon review is excessively harsh.

They liked:

* Improved control scheme
* Great game library, which improved today with MH4 and MM3D, and new control scheme improves old games.
* Improved 3D
* Great build quality.

They didn't like:

* The system transfer process (a one time thing.)
* "No hardware defining games" despite the fact that they spent the first half of the review talking about how the system is great for MH4 and MM3D
* Consumer confusion - HOW is this a knock against the hardware?
* The same friend code system - it's still a 3DS, and they never promised any changes to this system.

Basically it's a great piece of hardware that fixes the major problems with the original hardware. And all of the stuff we dislike about it has nothing to do with the hardware itself.

7/10

Baffling.

prateeko

My XL is very very warm/yellow. The difference between the temp of the top and bottom screen isn't very noticeable though. I've had a DS or two in the past that had to be returned because the difference in temp was pretty stark.

Another plus for the new XL is the sound it makes as you open the screen. It still pops into position, but now it does so without that awful cracking sound.

I used a screwdriver intended for eye glasses. Worked without issue. It might have been troublesome if the screws had been tight to begin with though.

Anyway you could share a pic? I can't tell if I'm just picking up the diff because my 3DS XL didn't have it or if the new 3DS XL has it more pronounced...

richd_3

Probably a dumb question, but going to ask anyway: I'm doing a system transfer and it's about 25% done according to the Pikmin. Do I still need internet access at this point? In other words, are the systems talking directly to one another or are they using the using the Internet as a "go between." I'm asking because I'd like to change locations (i.e., drive somewhere else) but don't want to mess up the transfer.
Yes. I lost my connection and had to hard reset and restart the entire process.

Guess what?

That's normal. My black XL has those too. Noticed it last year when I got it, its on all of them.

Exchanging won't help.

Use Amazon UK.

Do you have any proof to back that up? My blue XL has nothing like that, but if it is common I will keep it.

They liked:

* Great game library, which improved today with MH4 and MM3D, and new control scheme improves old games.
* Improved 3D
* Great build quality.

They didn't like:

* "No hardware defining games" despite the fact that they spent the first half of the review talking about how the system is great for MH4 and MM3D
* The same friend code system - it's still a 3DS, and they never promised any changes to this system.

Basically it's a great piece of hardware that fixes the major problems with the original hardware. And all of the stuff we dislike about it has nothing to do with the hardware itself.

7/10

Baffling.

In other words, Polygon being Polygon.

Ecto311

Any companies doing skins for this? The glossy feel and look sucks and I don't want to scratch it since that will happen really fast. Any news or links to skins for it anywhere?

edit - Found these https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Nintendo-3DS-LL-Skins

might order one to keep the outside looking good. Had a decal girl sticker before and it was easy to remove from my iPhone so I don't think it will leave sticky shit all over the unit later when I take it off.

Rich!

Any companies doing skins for this? The glossy feel and look sucks and I don't want to scratch it since that will happen really fast. Any news or links to skins for it anywhere?

Nah, not yet.

Also I have had my New XL since November and it has not had a single scratch or mark. Its hardly an OG 3DS or Wii U gamepad.

They liked:

* Improved 3D
* Great build quality.

They didn't like:

7/10

Baffling.
I remember Polygon doing something recently that made me mad at them. Forgot what it was, but this made me mad at them again.

Does Xenoblade not count as hardware defining? It's an exclusive.

Corgi

Banned

They liked:

* Improved 3D
* Great build quality.

They didn't like:

7/10

Baffling.
What did they give the normal 3ds score wise?

atbigelow

Loaded up the MH4 demo real quick.

Damn that C-nub is magical for this. Can't wait to get into that and MM.

EDIT: However I was pretty annoyed that it didn't ship with the latest firmware. Had to update it and my existing XL before the transfer process. Oh and my battery was totally dead when I got it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ready to get my n3DS. I got the MH4 bundle and want to swap the 4GB card. Before I swap/transfer my 3DS data I need to boot the n3DS and register the MH4 copy to my NNID right?

DogMeat77

Oh Best Buy...

Went and picked up my n3DS, MH4, and MM. Best Buy "Oh we already sold all of the black New 3DS so we don't have one for your pre-order."

Luckily they still had a red one. Which, I don't mind but seriously... don't sell the stuff people already paid for plz.

edit - Found these https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Nintendo-3DS-LL-Skins

might order one to keep the outside looking good. Had a decal girl sticker before and it was easy to remove from my iPhone so I don't think it will leave sticky shit all over the unit later when I take it off.
Are they hard to apply and are these for the XL?

Exquisik

With all these limited stocks going on and all the hassle these retail stores have to deal with to sell Nintendo items, why can't the retail stores just demand from Nintendo to supply more stocks or they won't sell them? I mean the whole $50.00 credit must have cost Best Buy quite some money and if Target is going to cancel any order, they will probably be doing the same thing as well.

Hawk269

I bought a MicroSD 64gb card, someone mentioned that the 3DS only can use a max of 32gb cards, is this accurate. I am about to open my system and all my stuff, but I need to know if I should open the 64gb card or go back to best buy and get a 32gb one.

Thanks in advance for any quick replies as I am dying to get things started.

Guess what?

Exchanging won't help.

Use Amazon UK.

I found this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9XZAPK/
Will that one work with the US NEW Nintendo 3DS XL just want to be sure..I would get it from play-asia but that one says Compatibility Japan so I wasnt sure..besides, at least with amazon they tell you when you should receive it

Guys I need help, I was about to buy Pokemon X & Y because I thought they were the latest. See, I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red & Blue.

Then I found out about Omega Ruby & Sapphire being the latest, however they appear to just be remakes.

I have buyer's paralysis. Should I get X/Y or Omega Ruby/Sapphire?

Get X/Y.

It's a lot better in my opinion, and seems made for the 3DS, while ORAS doesn't.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Played mine for a few hours today, 3d is fucking amazing. No head aches yet. Don't think I used 3d for then 10 mins at a time on old one without getting a migraine. Can't wait to pop in my old games and play them again in glourious 3d

I bought a clear Hori case, everyone has been giving it glowing reco's. Can print something if you want and slip it in between the case and the 3DS XL, I'll probably just leave mine with the majora decal
http://amzn.com/B00RZ7TC6Y

You can apparently find them in store at some Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, Gamestop, etc. Make sure to get the new 3DS XL version since the ports have all changed the layouts.

I bought a MicroSD 64gb card, someone mentioned that the 3DS only can use a max of 32gb cards, is this accurate. I am about to open my system and all my stuff, but I need to know if I should open the 64gb card or go back to best buy and get a 32gb one.

If it's SDHC, then you can just format it to FAT32 and it'll work. I remember reading on Nintys site that SDXC won't work.

So anybody who got in on the Monster Hunter system on gamestop earlier this morning see any movement? Order has been stuck on open all day . I have a red one from this morning that id love to dig into at this point, I'm just looking to know at this point.

I was worried about this too as I had a 64gig card in my 3ds. Got a 64gig micro earlier today and finished the transfer to the new 3ds a few hours ago.

It all works fine the only minor hiccup was having to reformat the micro to fat32 to be recognized.

I too am loving the 3D effect, didn't expect it to improve the whole experience so much. Space Harrier, super hang-on and Starfox were good test subjects.

inner-G

Banned
I'm definitely going to play through Pushmo and SM3DL when I get this. Those two games have the best utilisation of the 3D.
Pilotwings Resort, Mario Kart 7, Star Fox 64 3D, Kingdom Hearts DDD and Bravely Default all have really good implementations of the 3D effect too, imo

MK7 in particular is sooooo much better in 3D with the face tracking

Exile20

Hey guys I am having issues with my New 3DS.

So i got it opened it set up transfer on the old and then the new one and it started to connect to the internet and failed. Gave an error about not connected to the internet then failed to a black screen. Had to restart. wierd but okay. I started it back up and doubled checked the internet settings and it works fine. Started the transfer again and then it said it needed to install the update.

So I did the system update and it just starts to download it and fails before it finishes with an error. This happened 3 times now. I am not sure what to do at this point. Just failed again to update. 4th time.

vgamer1

I bought a clear Hori case, everyone has been giving it glowing reco's. Can print something if you want and slip it in between the case and the 3DS XL, I'll probably just leave mine with the majora decal
http://amzn.com/B00RZ7TC6Y

You can apparently find them in store at some Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, Gamestop, etc. Make sure to get the new 3DS XL version since the ports have all changed the layouts.

This is delayed until march, so be careful until then as well.

Corgi

Banned
I don't think they reviewed it. Polygon launched (in blog form) October 24, 2012.

The Verge reviewed The 3DS XL on October 1st and gave it a 7.9. So the XL predates Polygon.

so don't really see that big of a deal. If people are getting mad at polygon about reviews... best put that anger on the billion other injustices in this world worth giving a damn :p

And if I was gonna throw a number on the n3ds xl... its probably a 7 or 8 as well.

Top Bottom