• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct Tomorrow (9 Feb)

Fbh

These have become more exciting now that I know a third of them won't be dedicated to Smash DLC.

Yeah I also expect a heavy focus on Kirby and Splatoon 3, some indies and a couple of ports. Fingers crossed that the "one more thing" at the end is the reveal of the new Monolith game (Xenoblade 3 or something else)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo Directs are always 80% indie crap, 15% anime crap and then 5% actual exciting games.
Mario Mean GIF

SCB3

ok, so Nintendo usually focus on releases for the first half of the year (before June) with the odd update on games that are a bit later or a surprise for late summer-> Holiday (I think Mario Odyssey was this a few years ago)

So that fits Splatoon 3, however one game I've not seen mentioned when people "Leak" this is one thats announced and out soon - Kirby! So I think this will get more information this time

My predictions:

• Kirby
  • Splatoon 3
  • Mario Kart 9 in Dev - perhaps a teaser at the end of the direct
  • Mario + Rabbids info and new release date (was this delayed to 2023? )
  • Some more Cloud games (I saw Destiny being predicted elsewhere, I mean it could do)
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong will be the surprise
  • More n64 games coming soon
  • A new DK announcement - Long overdue since Tropical Freeze

I think Metroid will be at the June Direct tbh and what else is there to bring over from the Wii U now, Zelda TP and WW?

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Meh, it's only games that will release in the next 4.5 months. Maybe we get a tease for already announced games later in the year like Zelda, but I am expecting disappointment for all the people who are hyped.

DrAspirino

Banned
Don't get your hopes high, guys and gals. As Nintendo stated, this direct will be focused on games that'll be released the first half of 2022, so no BoTW2 or Mario Kart 9, or even a new "flagship Mario" title, since those are announced almost a year prior (to build hype). What I'm expecting would be something with 3rd parties, more info about the new Kirby, Splatoon 3, and something along those lines.

Also, quote me on this, but I predict Genshin Impact on Switch (I think there was a leak on that)

It would be pretty interesting indeed, but nowhere near an "E3-level" Nintendo Direct that comes all junes, almost parallel to the E3.

I, for one, am eager to get a new Mario and BoTW2, TBH.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes high, guys and gals. As Nintendo stated, this direct will be focused on games that'll be released the first half of 2022, so no BoTW2 or Mario Kart 9, or even a new "flagship Mario" title, since those are announced almost a year prior (to build hype). What I'm expecting would be something with 3rd parties, more info about the new Kirby, Splatoon 3, and something along those lines.

Also, quote me on this, but I predict Genshin Impact on Switch (I think there was a leak on that)

It would be pretty interesting indeed, but nowhere near an "E3-level" Nintendo Direct that comes all junes, almost parallel to the E3.

I'm excited to see more of the Kirby game, I still don't know if it is more like 3D Land or Odyssey.

MikeM

It amazes me how anything PS5 and Series X is always like “omg that game looks last gen. POS 1080p consoles. My PC is better” and yet Nintendo drops 480p- 720p games and everyone is all like “omg Nintendo is the best!”
Its almost like games matter more than resolution.

DrAspirino

Banned
It amazes me how anything PS5 and Series X is always like “omg that game looks last gen. POS 1080p consoles. My PC is better” and yet Nintendo drops 480p- 720p games and everyone is all like “omg Nintendo is the best!”
Its almost like games matter more than resolution.
THIS.

I have a so-so graphics card (Radeon RX 550) and can't even play at 1080p, and my main gaming machine is a Series S, yet I enjoy my Switch, Series S and PC so much not because of graphics, but because of how fun are the games I play there.

Games have always been about fun. Resolution and FPS are just an added bonus. ;)

DonF

New Nintendo Switch DSi XL 4k
MK9...as in Mortal Kombat 9 port
New mario, with NFTs
New Metroid Prime...as in you need an amazon prime account to play.
Breath of the Wild 2...is the twilight princess of this generation.

And lots and lots of indies...

Also bayo 3 for good measure.

Banjo64

cumsessed

They actually said ‘mainly focused’ - which makes me think there’s gunna be some juicy fuk fuk Switch 2 news.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

They often use "focused on" even in shows where totally new things are announced for the future, it just means the bulk of the content will be about things coming soon - but they can absolutely show off some new BOTW2 stuff or announced MK9 / Odyssey 2 / whatever.

That said, you're right in that you should never ever get excited for Directs.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They often use "focused on" even in shows where totally new things are announced for the future, it just means the bulk of the content will be about things coming soon - but they can absolutely show off some new BOTW2 stuff or announced MK9 / Odyssey 2 / whatever.

That said, you're right in that you should never ever get excited for Directs.
You should shut ya butthole.

WE WILL GET EXCITED.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

DrAspirino

Banned
They actually said ‘mainly focused’ - which makes me think there’s gunna be some juicy fuk fuk Switch 2 news.
It's Nintendo: their philosophy is "if it prints money, why bother?", so we can be certain that they won't even give the slightiest hint at a new model or a new console.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You should shut ya butthole.

WE WILL GET EXCITED.

I will continue to tell people to temper their expectations while my brain quietly tells me that this is the one, this is the Direct where they announced a new 2D Zelda

Aldric

It's Nintendo: their philosophy is "if it prints money, why bother?", so we can be certain that they won't even give the slightiest hint at a new model or a new console.
There won't be anything about a new model because they never reveal them in Directs, they have separate announcement trailers, see the New 3DS, the Switch Lite, the Switch OLED etc.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

I expect one or two surprises, I mean after all they said the same thing last year and still announced Splatoon 3.

Orta

Banned
Games launching over the next four and a bit months? Fingers crossed the are some big fucking unannounced surprises amongst tomorrows showreel.

Oberstein

Nintendo Directs are always 80% indie crap, 15% anime crap and then 5% actual exciting games.

Still better than the last Sony press shows.

Edit: I don't expect anything stratospheric either. We should expect Xeno, Splatoon, Fire Emblem at best rather than Metroid Prime 4, Mario Odyssey 2 or Zelda BoTW2.

Last edited:

Woopah

What are people expecting.
I don't even own the console but love watching these.

My personal predictions

Somewhat likely:
New Fire Emblem from the Three Houses team
Xenoblade 3
Batman Arkham collection
Splatoon 3 trailer and date
Kirby & The Forgotten Land trailer
Triangle Strategy trailer
Rune Factory 5 trailer
Goldeneye for NSO
One or more of the different Dragon Quest games coming
Something from Atlus (Etrian Odyssey?)
Something from Team Asano (Octopath Traveller 2?)
Nobunaga's Ambition, Atelier Sophie 2, or something else from Koei Tecmo

Less likely but still possible:
Donkey Kong from EPD8
Metroid Prime remake and Prime 4 (I think these will be saved for June)
1 2 Switch sequel
Resident Evil Switch
Other Mid-level RPG from Square Enix (next Mana game?)
BOTW2 and/or TP HD and WW HD ports
Mario Kart 9
Something from Konami (Castlevania?)
Mario vs Rabbids 2 (possibly delayed)

Wildcard:
Silksong

Let's see how I do

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Can we please have a countdown?

I'm brazilian, so trying to figure out this timezone stuff is always cumbersome.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can we please have a countdown?

I'm brazilian, so trying to figure out this timezone stuff is always cumbersome.
Go to Google and search for "14:00 PT". It should transform that to your timezone.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Always hyped for Nintendo Directs.

That said, I'm going to let my expectations go loose for the first time in a while:
New Fire Emblem
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Metroid Prime 4
New Mario Kart
Odyssey 2
Breath of the Wild 2

Let's go.
I'll actually just be happy with seeing more Kirby footage and a New FE/XC3 announced

Top Bottom