• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 slim with Modern Warfare III Bundle coming for $499

Mr.Phoenix

Lmao same price as launch Day ps5 but with a bundled game. Sony done good keeping the value high.
Can even call it a price drop. You are getting a $450 PS5 + $80 ODD + $70 game.

If you just take the game and ODD alone thats a $150 value add. Which means you are basically getting the console for $299.

this confirms my theory sony is probably making that new PS5 for under $299.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Didn't Microsoft just buy Activision for $70 billion? And Sony has a MW3 holiday bundle?

I don't understand what's going on but lmao regardless

This is Sony's revenge for MS putting MLB The Show on Gamepass.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The tweets are gone but I'm guessing it was those alan wrench looking things ?
He took his Tweets down and went quiet I guess the Sony ninjas got him or he has worked out an exclusive with someone but I save most of the pics

ZTzRL5I.jpg
glBHHXw.jpg
BndzKwZ.jpg
OUrz3Fm.jpg
VrI8QcT.jpg
3elhJCg.jpg
yB9cjWT.jpg

Brucey

Can even call it a price drop. You are getting a $450 PS5 + $80 ODD + $70 game.

If you just take the game and ODD alone thats a $150 value add. Which means you are basically getting the console for $299.

this confirms my theory sony is probably making that new PS5 for under $299.
Sony is charging $80 for the ODD when upgrading a digital PS5 but obviously it's not costing them that much when they build a disk drive PS5. Prob also getting decent volume discount on the game. Redesign definitely cheaper than the OG from three years ago but I doubt it's down to $300 level for components and assembly.

Mr.Phoenix

Sony is charging $80 for the ODD when upgrading a digital PS5 but obviously it's not costing them that much when they build a disk drive PS5. Prob also getting decent volume discount on the game. Redesign definitely cheaper than the OG from three years ago but I doubt it's down to $300 level for components and assembly.
I may have been exaggerating.

more specifically though, say they are giving Activision $50/bundle. And say each ODD cost them $30. Comes to $80 worth of added value on a $450 PS5. I feel PS5 BOM is currently at around $350. They could just as easily have sold this bundle for $530 and it would still have been considered a discount.

JackMcGunns

Disc edition WITH the big holiday game? Yeah these new PS5s will have substantial cost reductions. At this price point they will be flying off the shelves in the US and make the 25M units this FY come pretty close to reality.

Knowing how much time this takes to plan and prepare for, imagine the panic and fear that MS completes the ABK acquisition and then blocks COD immediately. The game is a money maker for Sony, now it's a money maker for both.

Elios83

I expect them to go really aggressive, this is just the beginning, during BF and December there will be further discounts.

BlackTron

So glad I got a launch day 1 ps5. Being enjoying it since day 1, and price hasn't come down. If anything you get less, like no stand, no disc drive included etc

The $499 PS5 still comes with the disc drive...it's only removed in the cheaper option.

jorgejjvr

The $499 PS5 still comes with the disc drive...it's only removed in the cheaper option.
Usually slims are cheaper, this isnt

No stand either

If people were waiting years for a deal or a drop in price, they aren't getting it

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Might as well take advantage of that marketing deal while they can. Sucks that their also helping a competitor tho.

eye-roll.gif

Tsaki

No stand either

If people were waiting years for a deal or a drop in price, they aren't getting it
Many people will want to play MW3 and not have a PS5. They are getting it at the same price you got yours but with $70 saved since they'd buy the game anyway. For all of them it's a decrease in price. Could Sony sell it for cheaper? Sure. But no reason to yet.
Edit: And with a 200GB bigger SSD.

Last edited:

BlackTron

No stand either

It's not a better deal, but it's not a worse one (getting less stuff for more money) either. Unless you consider a smaller console less stuff for the same money...technically true.

Bingo, then supposedly after that deal ends, CoD will end its platform-specific exclusive marketing

...and begin its service-exclusive marketing with Game Pass (free perks/items/cosmetics with a subscription) 😯

Rip ms this holiday.

Eh, all the COD money will be going to them now anyway (minus 30% Sony and Valve cuts) so I think they'll be feeling pretty okay.

Probably gonna have Good Guy Phil™ on Twitter touting it like a 1P game they made themselves to gloat about the sales.

Last edited:
Console design does look awful, the original looks nicer but the extra usb C port is decent. Really want to see the insides though see how they achieved the extra storage, that being the main interest for me. The original consoles have the chips installed in pairs which is why they couldn't get 1Tb at release, but now I wonder if they have sourced a fast enough SSD or they have new capacity chips and its the same config as the original release.

Codes 208

...and begin its service-exclusive marketing with Game Pass (free perks/items/cosmetics with a subscription) 😯.
Thats honestly a non-issue. 1-month to 1-year exclusive guns/maps/modes that sony had been doing with games like cod and destiny (prior to the bungie buyout, now its just a given) is infinitely worse than being available on a gaming service

Tripolygon

Banned
This is pathetic...
Just going to quote myself from the other thread because it seems i was right.

All PS5s have their Blu-ray drive software locked to the motherboard, you cannot transfer a Blu-ray drive from one PS5 to another. I suppose this a way for them to authenticate the drive and tie it to the particular PS5 motherboard.

The question is can you replace the bluray attachment with another new or pre-owned one if yours break? Like a way for them to reattach an already used replacement drive? Now this should be of concern because you shouldnt have to buy a new one every time you want to replace a bluray drive.
Probably same tool they use in the factory but now being done remotely.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Just going to quote myself from the other thread because it seems i was right.

Probably same tool they use in the factory but now being done remotely.
In assuming it's a way for them to manufacture and ship them faster.

You don't know. You're just speculating. I prefer to wait DF final jugment in this regards.

Unless DF hear something from Sony...wouldn't they also be speculating?

Hell, I already did Google searches and saw some blu ray drives on first install in PCs need updates and patches to play movies.

Tripolygon

Banned
You don't know. You're just speculating. I prefer to wait DF final jugment in this regards.
I don't know that is why i said PROBABLY. All manufacturers have this tool. Apple for example provides similar tools for cellphone repair shops to register replacement parts to the motherboard. Its the same software they use in the factory. Why would DF know what Sony uses to authenticate and flash their motherboard. What do you imagine DF would tell you about Sony manufacturing and firmware flashing.

Fake

Unless DF hear something from Sony...wouldn't they also be speculating?

I talking for me and only for me. Feel free to believe in whatever people talk.

I don't know that is why i said PROBABLY. All manufacturers have this tool. Apple for example provides similar tools for cellphone repair shops to register replacement parts to the motherboard. Its the same software they use in the factory. Why would DF know what Sony uses to authenticate and flash their motherboard. What do you imagine DF would tell you about Sony manufacturing and firmware flashing.

They sure have, but can be more deep than you thought. In other words, the DRM playstation users love to bash Microsoft for doing so.
And what DF will tell we can just speculate as well. I sure they gonna say 'what is', 'the purpose' and if would be better solutions than asking for server checking.

jroc74

They sure have, but can be more deep than you thought. In other words, the DRM playstation users love to bash Microsoft for doing so.
And what DF will tell we can just speculate as well. I sure they gonna say 'what is', 'the purpose' and if would be better solutions than asking for server checking.
?

MS had a separate disc drive for the XBO? Because I know you aren't talking about the 360.

But yeah....I see where this is already going...lol.

Last edited:

Fake

?

MS had a separate disc drive for the XBO? Because I know you aren't talking about the 360.

But yeah....I see where this is already going...lol.

You missed the point. This is a form of DRM. Differents forms don't affect the end use.

jroc74

You missed the point. This is a form of DRM. Differents forms don't affect the end use.
And you are taking about all this like you know exactly why its being done for the disc drive.

I guess DF will have the ultimate say so tho, right?

Tripolygon

Banned

Use a bit of common sense. All PS5 and XSX Bluray drives are firmware tied to the console motherboard. You can't remove a Bluray drive from one PS5 or XSX and transfer it to another console, it won't work unless you also use the daughterboard that came with the bluray drive you are trying to replace which requires some technical knowhow.

This is an attachment Blu-ray drive you can buy off shelf so it obviously is blank and is not tied to any PS5. Sony needs a way to do that so they are using remote authentication and flashing to do so. You attach the drive, PS5 recognizes it, reports the serial number to Sony database which has a list of all manufactured drives. Then it says, this is a legit drive and flashes it to that particular PS5 motherboard, essentially like how all PS5 Bluray drives are tied to the motherboard. It is not the always online DRM you are referring to.

Last edited:
Thats honestly a non-issue. 1-month to 1-year exclusive guns/maps/modes that sony had been doing with games like cod and destiny (prior to the bungie buyout, now its just a given) is infinitely worse than being available on a gaming service

Well FWIW, Microsoft set that precedent with exclusive COD stuff back in the 360 era, so if they want to be mad at Sony for having done that in the PS4 gen, they should really be mad at themselves for starting it first.

FWIW, I'm not saying they're putting COD into Game Pass, no way are MS going to turn down B2P revenue for that. They'll prob stagger Game Pass deployment of new COD games by at least six months. What I'm saying is they'll allow Game Pass subscribers to get various DLC, cosmetics, guns, skins etc. as free perks if they have a Game Pass subscription.

They are 100% going to do this as soon as possible, since they can't legally foreclose the game off rival platforms for at least 10 years (due to their own words just to get the deal through; the regulators said they didn't care about foreclosure when it came to console 🤣) and don't want to put the games on the service Day 1 to lose out on B2P sales revenue.

Not saying that's a bad strategy BTW; they already tested this with PC Game Pass and VALORANT/Riot Games perks. This would just be them expanding on that for both PC and Xbox (but probably mainly Xbox if they want to drive console sales). However, if it's not a "bad" idea in both practice and in terms of providing value to the customer base, then neither was Sony's strategy with timed exclusive/exclusive COD content. They're both arguably "pro-consumer" strategies, just tailored to consumers of specific product ecosystems.

Who are still consumers at the end of the day, hence it would fall under being "pro-consumer". Neither one is necessarily better or worst than the other WRT being fair to consumers.

Top Bottom