• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Romeo and Juliet stars Francesca Amewudah-Rivers and Tom Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinzo Prime

No Thank You Lol GIF by Max

Jinzo Prime

Last edited:

CGNoire

I never heard of this before today, but there’s not one positive comment anywhere about it.

The NICEST thing people are saying is, “Why couldn’t they cast a pretty black Juliet ?” and “Isn’t Juliet supposed to be pretty?”

The meanest so far is this ;

9RsCKcR.jpg
Is it just the lighting tricking me or.....or does she have a mustache?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Nobody would give a shit if Juliet was at least hot, but now that they chose that one it will look like a race topic once again if it bombs.

Tom Holland will make a very good Juliet

Last edited:

Kacho

Other than stating the obvious I'm kinda numb to Hollywood being out of touch. We all know audiences will reject this. It's total waste of time and money for all involved.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never heard of this before today, but there’s not one positive comment anywhere about it.

The NICEST thing people are saying is, “Why couldn’t they cast a pretty black Juliet ?” and “Isn’t Juliet supposed to be pretty?”

The meanest so far is this ;

9RsCKcR.jpg
Put on a Mohawk and go back in time 50 years and you can kind of see Mr T

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Other than stating the obvious I'm kinda numb to Hollywood being out of touch. We all know audiences will reject this. It's total waste of time and money for all involved.
Amazing how there’s so many cultures of the world to choose from if a studio wants to go modern day diversity angle yet you hardly ever see any Asians, Latinos. Native Indians and East Indians as if they don’t exist.

Eiknarf

Nobody would give a shit if Juliet was at least hot, but now that they chose that one it will look like a race topic once again if it bombs.

Tom Holland will make a very good Juliet
He’s definitely the more feminine of the two.

Now is that saying he is feminine looking or that she is masculine looking?

Kacho

Amazing how there’s so many cultures of the world to choose from if a studio wants to go modern day diversity angle yet you hardly ever see any Asians, Latinos. Native Indians and East Indians as if they don’t exist.
Why do you think that is? I have my opinion, but I'm curious to hear yours.

nkarafo

Yes, i knew before i clicked this would be a multiracial relationship thing. I just wasn't sure about the genders but a black woman is nowadays a sure bet.

I'm surprised it's so conservative though. They could go all in and make Romeo a muslim, disabled trans man or something. Maybe in the next one.

Last edited:

Fbh

If you've got to race swap at least don't mess with the attractiveness factor.
If the character was originally an attractive white woman you should at least cast an attractive black woman.

are these casting directors straight up stupid or they're trollin people.

Are they though?
This will get the play a lot of free publicity (like no one around here would have even known about this play if it wasn't for the castig)
People are going to go watch it anyway because of Tom Holland
Most critics wouldn't dare say anything about the casting
Now they can deflect any criticism of the play as being due to racism

nkarafo

Wait, so this is a play and not a movie?
Yeah, i was confused too from the title, not reading the link. I automatically assumed it was a movie.

To be fair, it's not like anyone cares about plays to expect such topics here.

Mistake

Personally, I think native americans are getting the worst of it. Can't be represented in anything at this point, almost as if they disappeared completely except for that recent apple movie with dicaprio. I came across this character somewhat recently and thought he was endearing though.
It's a play... Not a movie.

And she's not ugly. She's fine as she is.
Her face looks like a math equation

Kacho

Yeah, i was confused too from the title, not reading the link. I automatically assumed it was a movie.

To be fair, it's not like anyone cares about plays to expect such topics here.
Yeah, I assumed it was a movie as well with Tom Holland being involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom